Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The gate plugin from gvst does what it should, if really basic is ok. A good handful of useful plugins available from that maker. The one in the ReaPlugs bundle has a few more controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The GVST suite is really nice for basic, free, and old. GHi is the first plugin on most of my tracks as a simple, resource light high pass filter.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

The GVST suite is really nice for basic, free, and old. GHi is the first plugin on most of my tracks as a simple, resource light high pass filter.
They are old, but still get updates and/or bugfixes as recent as this year, I was happy to see.

Forgot about the Dead Duck Software bundle earlier, also a good source of decent, free basics. Although an annoyance with those is that the initial settings of the knobs often aren't sensible. Very educational to set up everything from scratch, but sometimes you want to slap something on there and do minimal adjustments.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Is there any plugin that is like a real-time sampler? So it takes live audio, slices it by transients or by time or whatever else, and lets you trigger them by midi (near) instantly?
I've been playing with looping, which is good fun (i've been using msuperlooper and enso), but i'd quite like to have that extra dimension available to me if it's possible.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Izotope Stutteredit 2 is the nearest thing I can think of for flexible chopping via midi keyboard. Its pretty cool and goes on sale often on pluginboutique.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DaWolfey posted:

Is there any plugin that is like a real-time sampler? So it takes live audio, slices it by transients or by time or whatever else, and lets you trigger them by midi (near) instantly?
I've been playing with looping, which is good fun (i've been using msuperlooper and enso), but i'd quite like to have that extra dimension available to me if it's possible.
Microdicer does exactly what you're talking about, but not with realtime, just audio files, IIRC. You can def make Liveslice do something like that, though Liveslice is too funked up for doing something that simple. Liveslice is about my favorite vst of all time.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Liveslice looked like it would do the job, but it appears that it died in 2013 and is no longer available.

I appreciate the reply though!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Jesus that is sad, too. That guy made a couple really nice pieces of software. Can I share it, then? I think that might be the first VST I ever paid for.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, if you're as daft as me and think you can just replace x86 versions of plugins with x64 or vst3 versions of them and have Reaper be smart enough to automatically replace like for like in old projects just because the plugins have the same name, don't.

:rip: old projects. I'm moving on though. Not hauling all that clutter back from the recycle bin to poo poo up the fx selection box with duplicates.

I guess I could have tested the principle of it before doing all of them, but eh.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Well, if you're as daft as me and think you can just replace x86 versions of plugins with x64 or vst3 versions of them and have Reaper be smart enough to automatically replace like for like in old projects just because the plugins have the same name, don't.

:rip: old projects. I'm moving on though. Not hauling all that clutter back from the recycle bin to poo poo up the fx selection box with duplicates.

I guess I could have tested the principle of it before doing all of them, but eh.

There are apps that let you run the 32 bit VSTs and keep them in a separate folder so there is no confusion over duplicates FWIW

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realise there was a new TAL Jupiter vst.

Tal are like Valhalla - auto buy for me.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

algebra testes posted:

I didn't realise there was a new TAL Jupiter vst.

Tal are like Valhalla - auto buy for me.

TAL Jup owns... New Softube Juno-106 also owns

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

2DCAT posted:

Yeah, I was about to add that 2dcat speaks very highly of it LOL

Offer still stands, anybody wants any abandoned 32 bit freeware VSTs I'll be happy to look on this old hard drive and see if it's there.

ED: here, just for yuks:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 25, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There are apps that let you run the 32 bit VSTs and keep them in a separate folder so there is no confusion over duplicates FWIW
I have no idea what you're referring to, but googling made me find out you can hide plugins in reaper by renaming them within reaper with a # at the front, which may come in useful at some point.

petit choux posted:

Offer still stands, anybody wants any abandoned 32 bit freeware VSTs I'll be happy to look on this old hard drive and see if it's there.
I think I came across some plugin hoarder/archivist megathread on the kvr forums at some point a couple of years back. Maybe worth looking those guys up to share the burden of not having things disappear out of existence completely. Idk.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea what you're referring to, but googling made me find out you can hide plugins in reaper by renaming them within reaper with a # at the front, which may come in useful at some point.
I think I came across some plugin hoarder/archivist megathread on the kvr forums at some point a couple of years back. Maybe worth looking those guys up to share the burden of not having things disappear out of existence completely. Idk.

Well you no longer need to brave teh KVR forums thanks to the slim slow flow of petit choux

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

petit choux posted:

Well you no longer need to brave teh KVR forums thanks to the slim slow flow of petit choux

Do you have any old version of Alchemy (AU), or is that a no-no, since it's with Logic now?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you have any old version of Alchemy (AU), or is that a no-no, since it's with Logic now?

No AU just vsts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

petit choux posted:

No AU just vsts.

Oh, right, sorry. Duh.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was thinking of jBridge: https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/. Lets you run 32 bit VSTs in 64 bit hosts. So you can keep using the old plugins on your old project.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

2DCAT posted:

The Cherry Audio DCO-106 is really nice, but it's somehow the most CPU heavy synth I own. It can eat up 4-5% of my CPU alone, whereas my second biggest heavy hitter, BIAS Amp, eats 2%.

x64 Reaper has jbridge automatically configured, so running 32-bit plugins work out of the box. I can see why it would have a fail safe for not automatically switching out .dll for .vst3 or 32 for 64-bit versions, though. Ita probably the same logic I'd it sees two plugins with the same name but different contents.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The only reason I started with the whole swap is the GVST bundle. I had x86 vst2 versions scattered through a number of different subfolders of my vst folder, whereas the 64 bit vst2 versions were together in a gvst subfolder in my vst folder. I noticed in the FX picker only one version of each plugin would show up, and which one depended on which version would be encountered first alphabetically during the scan for plugins (!). So some would be x86, some 64 bit. So I figured Reaper considered them equivalent. And indeed, after just deleting the x86 versions, opening old projects, Reaper does seamlessly replace one for the other for the GVST plugins.

But it's weird because I remember having other vsti in particular showing me both x86 and 64 bit versions alongside each other in the FX picker. So this isn't universal behaviour. I just don't have an old project that demonstrates me that that then also would result in failure to substitute.

Then I came across a project where Reaper warned me that it had found a vst3 version of an x86 vst2 plugin that was missing, telling me that if I saved the project now, I wasn't going to be able to roll it back in the other direction. So it does those substitutions too. There are just a shitload of cases where it doesn't work for some reason. From one publisher, TAL, there are some plugins that are detected, and some aren't.

The key point is that I was wrong and autosubstitution apparently is a thing that exists and can work. The other side of it, is that it working depends on entirely non-transparent criteria that you don't have any control over. Examples that work are Helm and the GVST bundle (thank gently caress for that). Ones that don't are anything from Voxengo and Surge, which is a pain.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Apologies if this was already mentioned, but Native Instruments is doing their Summer of Sound sale for 2021: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/summer-of-sound-2021/

Updates/upgrades are 50% off. I took advantage of the deal to update my K12 Ultimate to K13 Ultimate.

One weird thing- I always used to be able to buy a boxed copy of the update for a few extra bucks, but today the NI site only let me choose the download option. (I like having the installer drive.) Not sure if this was a matter of stock on-hand or just how they're handling updates now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I have K12 Ultimate CE and usually upgrade around this time, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself there's $250 worth of new stuff in there that I'll actually use. Hmmmm.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, think I'll wait for 14.

Radiapathy posted:

One weird thing- I always used to be able to buy a boxed copy of the update for a few extra bucks, but today the NI site only let me choose the download option. (I like having the installer drive.) Not sure if this was a matter of stock on-hand or just how they're handling updates now.
Third-party retailers should update their prices for June as well, worth it taking the physical version imo since it costs the same, you can still download the whole thing and hey, free drive

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Normally I'd skip at least one Komplete version (last time I made it from 8 > 12), but they might get me to do 12 > 13 just for Guitar Rig 6. Motherfuckers...

I could just upgrade Guitar Rig for $50, but from there it's only another $50 to do the 12 > 13 upgrade and that also gets me Super 8 (which seems cool), some new effects, some Massive X expansions and Cuba (among a few other things that don't really excite me). Nothing game changing, but also hard to say no for just another $50...

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Ruffian Price posted:

Third-party retailers should update their prices for June as well, worth it taking the physical version imo since it costs the same, you can still download the whole thing and hey, free drive

I hadn't considered the third-party sellers, so I guess I sorta screwed myself on this one. I saw someone on Gearspace (née Gearslutz) mention having the opposite problem from me at Sweetwater; he wanted the download-only but they only offered the drive. Anyway, I'll remember for K14 if the situation arises again.

EDIT: @Splinter- yeah, when I looked at the upgrades today, I was like, "Hmm. I think this one might actually not be worth it!" But I was too interested in Guitar Rig 6 and Super 8. Honestly this was the first time I was a little meh on a Komplete update (the main reason I've dragged my feet this long). At least those two will probably get some use.

EDIT 2: Oh- I see they made Cuba a standard product in K13, where it was Ultimate/Collectors in K12. I've actually used that one a couple times! It's got some grooves I used for a drum loop once, and it's got a lightweight piano instrument I have used a couple of times. (It's based on samples from previous NI pianos... but somehow sounds different. Maybe different default processing?) Anyway, it's kinda cool.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 2, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I upgraded from Guitar Rig 4 Pro to Guitar Rig 6 Pro for under $50 and I'm really happy with Guitar Rig 6 Pro at that price. I was very into Guitar Rig 3 back in the late 2000s, and it turns out I still really enjoy Native Instruments' workflow. To be honest I never got into Guitar Rig 4 even though I did the upgrade back when it came out. I was more into Amplitube's amp modeling and that was the deciding factor at the time. Now, though, I've been doing more stuff that would benefit from the ease of assigning controllers etc. - I appreciate the capability to do, uh, synth style poo poo in this software compared to others, and how they enable routing super easily with various kinds of signal splitting and crossover inside the plugin.

It doesn't have the most realistic feeling amp models across the board (it does have several stand-outs for quality that seem like better DSP but I don't think they have improved all the models from older versions), but working with them feels especially flexible thanks to the aforementioned capabilities. Great effects options and of course so many ways to control them for creative results. Right now I'm about to stop staying up too late playing a crossover split between their Citrus and AC Box models, with the Orange model doing the lows and a drive pedal before the Vox model to kick the highs more into gear, really liking the sound. And that's so basic, I remember all the out there things you can do with this and I'm excited to be getting into it again.

I feel I will use this a lot with synths. I'm not short on amp modeling, and I will probably still track and mix guitar with AT5 Max. This has some really cool sound design potential that feels worth it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 2, 2021

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Splinter posted:

Normally I'd skip at least one Komplete version (last time I made it from 8 > 12), but they might get me to do 12 > 13 just for Guitar Rig 6. Motherfuckers...

I used to use guitar rig, but I picked up Neural DSP’s Cory Wong offering on sale a few months ago and it shits all over Guitar Rig. I would suggest trialling one of Neural’s offerings.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
TH-U is great too.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah I do look at Guitar Rig also as a generic multi-effects plugin rather than just an amp simp as well and sometimes use it on synths. From what I understand, it is only the new amps that use the updated modeling tech, but it looks like they cover Fender/Marshall so they should be pretty versatile.

UncleBlazer posted:

I used to use guitar rig, but I picked up Neural DSP’s Cory Wong offering on sale a few months ago and it shits all over Guitar Rig. I would suggest trialling one of Neural’s offerings.
I had done some looking into GuitarRig alternatives at some point as it seemed like it was abandonware (they had been on version 5 for around a decade), but once 6 was released I figured I'd give the new models a try first as my assumption is they closed the gap with other offerings (and since the upgrade is only $50). The Cory Wong package seems right up my ally tone-wise, so I'll definitely give it a demo (though it's kinda sus that the only sound demo on the page seems to be a video of Cory doing his thing for a couple minutes, which would probably even sound great DI into an Ableton Live amp effect). S-Gear is another seemingly similar option I've seen recommended that I've been looking into. How much does Neural go on sale for (and is there a predictable sale schedule)? Ultimately this is probably something I'd get on top of GR6: GR6 for covering pretty much any guitar sound (and more), something like Neural for top notch modelling but more limited sound pallet. I've found I do notice the difference in modelling quality when just playing guitar (especially in response to dynamics), but in the mix (at least my busy electronic mixes, not trying to emulate a recorded band) the difference is less noticeable (to the point where sometimes I just quickly toss Live's Blues Amp+Cab combined w/ some SoundToys effects on a channel to record and don't feel the need to change it after).

e: For the Cory Wong package, are the pedal effects locked in that specific order, or can you re-arrange them (haven't seen anyone do this in any of the demos I've been watching).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is the current Humble Bundle a good deal for a beginner with an interest in creating electronic/symphonic music? Looks like it includes a few synths and an OK-ish(?) piano.

I already have the free Native Instruments stuff and signed up for the free Spitfire Audio symphony, which I am sure will keep me busy for ages, but I'm curious if any of this is "yeah, you definitely want this" territory. I know there are also free synths like Helm as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Discussion Quorum posted:

Is the current Humble Bundle a good deal for a beginner with an interest in creating electronic/symphonic music? Looks like it includes a few synths and an OK-ish(?) piano.

I already have the free Native Instruments stuff and signed up for the free Spitfire Audio symphony, which I am sure will keep me busy for ages, but I'm curious if any of this is "yeah, you definitely want this" territory. I know there are also free synths like Helm as well.

Voltage Modular is good but imo eclipsed by VCV Modular in a lot of ways (which is free, but also beta, so it has some quirks), DCO-106 is a solid Juno 106 emulation, but I wouldn't call either of those "must-haves" really. The Soundtrack Loops stuff I've used is fine, but nothing to write home about. I've only used Mixcraft a couple of times, and it was a number of versions ago. It was... very not good. No idea what it's like today but it almost never gets mentioned in any discussion of modern DAWs that I've seen. I don't think it's a steal for $30 or anything, but it would be a pile of loops and one-shots to play around with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

S-Gear 2 has a combination of fundamentally good sounding and feeling amp models and a quick workflow. If you don't want greater amp variety what it has is good. I've seen buzz around the Neural DSP modelers lately but haven't tried them myself. Haven't tried BIAS either, folks seem to like that. And I'm out of date on Overloud though if their current tech is consistent with what they've been doing all along I bet it's good, always liked what they were up to soundwise.

My go to this year has been Amplitube 5, which as a long time Amplitube user is really easy to dial in sounds with quickly and I get along really well with the DSP. But there's a lot to pick up there to get your setup customized.

Fuse Audio Labs has a nice Bassman plugin, F-59, and I like it without the cab sim as a general drive plugin.

Edit: To the guy asking about that humble bundle, check out Vital - it is a newer synth that is just so good, feature competitive with pricier synth software and has a free version. It isn't very limiting, and doesn't restrict the vast majority of features. It just has fewer wavetables, but you can use good free ones and be in good shape. Paid versions give more presets also, plus you can unlock more than 5 text to Wavetables uses per day with a $5 monthly sub or the $80 Pro version. It's like a vocoder kind of thing that maps the synthesized spoken text string to a wavetable so you can play it through your synth.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 3, 2021

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MockingQuantum posted:

Voltage Modular is good but imo eclipsed by VCV Modular in a lot of ways (which is free, but also beta, so it has some quirks), DCO-106 is a solid Juno 106 emulation, but I wouldn't call either of those "must-haves" really. The Soundtrack Loops stuff I've used is fine, but nothing to write home about. I've only used Mixcraft a couple of times, and it was a number of versions ago. It was... very not good. No idea what it's like today but it almost never gets mentioned in any discussion of modern DAWs that I've seen. I don't think it's a steal for $30 or anything, but it would be a pile of loops and one-shots to play around with.

Yeah I'm not looking for a reason to spend more money and I'm not going to use Mixcraft (trialing Reaper currently). Was mostly interested in the various included VSTs. If those aren't must-haves I will probably stick to the free stuff and put the money towards a better piano VST.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I've only used Mixcraft a couple of times, and it was a number of versions ago. It was... very not good. No idea what it's like today but it almost never gets mentioned in any discussion of modern DAWs that I've seen.
Soundonsound was reasonably positive about version 8 as a value proposition. That was before Cakewalk became free. Mixcraft comes with a bunch of ok stock plugins and the pro version supposedly has melodyne essentials built-in, which in itself would be worth the money -if you need it. If you're not recording vocals or anything, then that means nothing and we circle back to, yeah, it's about $30 worth of bargain bin stuff for $25 or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got an email from Soundtoys that Little AlterBoy is half off ($50 instead of the usual $100) until June 9th.

But when I go to their website, it looks like ALL their products are on sale.

HEY

HEY YOU

GET DECAPITATOR FOR $50 IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE IT

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't tried Cherry's version yet (bought the bundle but haven't installed it), but if you haven't used a 60/106 emulation before definitely check it out. They're so drat fun to play, and real easy to dial a patch with.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thanks for the feedback above. Between Vital (which looks great) and the free Native Instruments stuff, I imagine I will be limited by skills rather than "stuff" on the synth side for a long time.

Follow-up: recommend me some good general-purpose piano VSTs to look at, budget $0-$100. Must be beginner friendly (eg no need to do tons of fiddling out of the box). UVI Model D seems like a good middle of the road option?

I was looking at free options like the 99 Sounds Upright and Spitfire Soft Piano, but I don't mind splashing out a little if it makes for a much better experience.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Addictive Keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Spitfire soft piano is nice, but it's fairly processed, which limits the situations you can use it in.