Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Can the thread please recommend a good YouTube for this crazy game please?

I last played about two decades ago. Was pretty ok at it, used to go weekly. Now I've changed to a job where golf is useful and the bug has bitten me hard again. Swinging feels strange and I have some health issues so I'm just looking to not disgrace myself.

I have picked up a very bog standard set of ladies clubs that feel nice when I connect properly. I've found it very hard to even try clubs sadly, I went to three golf places in the UK and none of them even had ladies clubs in to try. Pathetic in YOOL 2021. Without irony I was told it was because women didn't frequent them. No poo poo Sherlock, if you have nothing to buy and no help to give, why would I come here. Tsssk.

Anyway, annoyance over. Hybrid clubs are amazing, I will never miss that 3 iron that hated me.

I'm off to a driving range today to get used to just moving about again, then maybe the putting green.

I did Google, but have no ability to judge who actually knows what they are talking about and therefore worth listening to. Advice welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My advice would be to find a local pro and get a couple lessons first. Trying to figure stuff out on YouTube when you haven’t played in so long will be very difficult.

After that, I like Mike Bender and there’s always George Gankas but, especially with Gankas, if you don’t have some solid idea of the golf swing already you will just end up more confused.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I'd get a lesson to try and get any big faults out of the way.

For YouTube though check out Shawn Clement. He does a nice job of relating swing thoughts to other sports and activities. His "knife the grip" video amongst others helped me immensely.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Thanks both. I'll check out these names.

It's about a month wait to get a lesson so I've booked in and will keep going to the range as I have to play a game in a few weeks.

I did a basket of 100 balls today and it wasn't as bad as I feared. Avg drive was about 150 yds and irons were adequate. Of course I topped a fair few balls as well as an epic slice that almost went at a right angle.

I have also lost a lump of skin on my thumb, so am clearly now a real athlete. The hybrid club baffled me. Now that I am looking forward to being taught how to use.

Managed to get out the shop only buying a hat.

I'm definitely in trouble - the rush I got when everything connected properly was immense. Really looking forward to being on a real course again and being baffled as to how I can hit a tiny bunker instead of the vast green :catstare:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I remember being just like you three years ago... Just starting out and really feeling the golf bug start to hit.

Now I plan my golf outings three weeks in advance and get cranky if I go more than five days without playing. Save yourself!

...I mean golf is the best. One of us! One of us!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
One of the best things you can do when you’re new is learn to manage expectations and variance. There’s really only so much you, or anyone else, can control about a golf shot. We’re hitting a tiny ball with a rock on a stick - anywhere close to actually really good! Even the professionals who spend all week playing hit into the poo poo or fail to get out of bunkers. Recognizing this helps keep you mentally in a good place and also helps you strategize. Don’t aim for pins when you’re 100 yards out - you’re more likely to miss the green entirely doing that. Aim for the middle and get putting. Etc etc

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
also work on core strength, stretching and proper golf form so your back isn't destroyed by 50......although even with those things your back may still be destroyed by then. :newlol:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Played a quick 9 today because it was threatening to rain all day. Went +16 overall. I will be forever poo poo at this game

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
This is wild

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1401305252062715907?s=21

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

He was leading the tournament by 6 and had just shot probably his best professional round of golf. What a weird fuckin' thing.

edit: Isn't this the tournament he got hit with a 1 or 2 stroke penalty after the final round last year for maybe moving the ball a bit grounding his club for a chip?

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 5, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently PGA knew when he was on the 12th hole he had popped positive. Why let him finish!?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's he not vaccinated???

Anno
May 10, 2017

mattfl posted:

Apparently PGA knew when he was on the 12th hole he had popped positive. Why let him finish!?

Apparently they ordered another test to confirm it.

There was a vaccination drive here around this tournament, it'd be pretty wild if he isn't vaccinated somehow. If he is and tested positive that's beyond a bummer.

e: I guess not? wtf

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1401321542139617284

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 6, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, he lost around a million dollars avoiding the vaccine.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BonoMan posted:

a ton of athletes aren't even by the standard of americans overall.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What a loving dumbass

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
36 holes at Pine Dunes today, still have 18 more tomorrow. This place might be the greatest course in Texas. It’s so much fun.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

No, because he’s a loving idiot

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

36 holes at Pine Dunes today, still have 18 more tomorrow. This place might be the greatest course in Texas. It’s so much fun.

Take some pictures my dude

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ElGroucho posted:

I remember John Daly used to do some dumb poo poo. Is Rahm the new Daly now?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The cicada soundtrack at Memorial is NUTS!

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Looks like Lexi is gonna cruise to the win here, nice to see!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

ElGroucho posted:

"Hmm, I could risk my own health, the health of my wife, my newborn child, the spectators, and everyone else around me; not to mention potentially missing out on millions of dollars.

Or I could get a couple shots.

What to do, what to do?"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Presto posted:

"Hmm, I could risk my own health, the health of my wife, my newborn child, the spectators, and everyone else around me; not to mention potentially missing out on millions of dollars.

Or I could get a couple shots.

What to do, what to do?"

I don't wanna get too political on this website but I have zero tolerance and patience for people who don't get the vaccine at this point. You reap what you sow on this one IMO.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Angry Asian posted:

Looks like Lexi is gonna cruise to the win here, nice to see!
She’s gone through some serious woes with her putting so it’s well deserved, but this is gonna lead Golf Channel to featuring her most of the time and tbh, her game and swing can be difficult to watch.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
I just feel she's unfairly overscrutinized for everything she does so it's nice to see her have some success again, but yeah her swing makes my wrists hurt lol

And that cruise to victory just got bumpy with that double and now that drive into the rough

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man Memorial just got *doused* by a huge quick downpour cell - basically unexpected and about 98% of patrons didn't have an umbrella.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Lexi is really close to giving this one away.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Oh no...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3 way tie with 1 hole to play :stare:

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Colin with the advantage in his playoff!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

1 down, 1 to go

nerox
May 20, 2001
Just had a google notification that “Morikawa wins Memorial Tournament” :lol:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
What a gut punch for Lexi.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Collin, lexi... :sigh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

271 yd carry on a flat hole from Yuka :stare:

Anno
May 10, 2017

Imagine striping a ball that flush on the first hole of a playoff for the U.S. Open

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omg that comeback putt was so loving clutch

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I’m counting this is a major for Rory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A sudden death playoff in what's easily the biggest women's golf tournament and NBC dumped it for gymnastics. That's absolute bullshit.