Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It becomes a fairly large plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't know if this is something that's ever brought up in the comics, but what are the extent of Eve's powers? I'm trying to avoid falling into the same questions that would come up with Dr. Manhattan and his powers (my first version of this question was "why doesn't she turn Omni-Man's brain into chocolate pudding"), but could she have done anything to stop Omni-Man?

I thought she already mentioned why she can/can’t do certain things with her powers but I can’t find a scene of her spelling it out yet in the show. All she’s said so far is that she can manipulate molecules on the atomic level. They’ll go more into it later for sure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't know if this is something that's ever brought up in the comics, but what are the extent of Eve's powers? I'm trying to avoid falling into the same questions that would come up with Dr. Manhattan and his powers (my first version of this question was "why doesn't she turn Omni-Man's brain into chocolate pudding"), but could she have done anything to stop Omni-Man?

uh i guess the answer is not in her current state.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Eve power spoiler sans story context:

power don't work on biological material

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Do you want to know Omni-man's secret?

His brain has always been chocolate pudding.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wheeee posted:

Ok, this works for me.

ynohtna posted:

Do you want to know Omni-man's secret?

His brain has always been chocolate pudding.

One of those Aperture Science experiments did a real number on Cave Johnson.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

As Nero Danced posted:

Revealing her whole power set would be major spoilers. I do hope they finish the whole story so that they are fully revealed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wheeee posted:

Uhh then how does she rebuild that forest and accelerate the farmer's crops' growth?

Logically there should be no reason why she can manipulate one type of molecule but not others. It's probably better explained that she has ethical reasons for not manipulating living cells, and/or that she's still so inexperienced that she's never tried.

I would be surprised if she is not an integral part of defeating Nolan/other Viltrumites in the future.

edit: Disclaimer I have not read the comic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

stop thinking too hard about dumb comics poo poo and also that was a very pared down spoiler more to answer a specific question

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The problem with Atom Eve is even if she can do all kinds of crazy green lantern bullshit, she's still just as tough as a regular person and can only think/move as fast as one too.

Plenty of time Omni-Man dicks around slow enough that regular soldiers can shoot him, but if he went full speed he could take her out before she could react.

Reminds me of this old bit from Injustice.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wheeee posted:

The show got me to read the comics and while I'm not big on comics they were a decent read. I liked that they basically were, as others have mentioned, sort of a big melting pot of all the typical comic stories and tropes all mixed up, good times.

It's also either disturbingly reactionary ideologically or a Verhoeven-like satire, can't decide which.

Most important thing I'm waiting for to show up now is thicc Eve

It does really blur the line between fighting fascism and advocating fascism. I honestly don't know what you're meant to walk away from it thinking.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So many series involving guys with superpowers end up thematically confused.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Away all Goats posted:

Uhh then how does she rebuild that forest and accelerate the farmer's crops' growth?

Logically there should be no reason why she can manipulate one type of molecule but not others. It's probably better explained that she has ethical reasons for not manipulating living cells, and/or that she's still so inexperienced that she's never tried.

There's a concrete answer but it's comic spoilers. Is there an appropriate thread for me to say it? I recall comic spoilers weren't received well in here in the past.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Argue posted:

There's a concrete answer but it's comic spoilers. Is there an appropriate thread for me to say it? I recall comic spoilers weren't received well in here in the past.

There are a couple BSS threads about comics that got turned into shows where spoilers are fine but BSS isn't big on invincible. So basically no

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

good point. it's one thing for her to manipulate molecules, but rebuilding a forest would require creating new ones, wouldn't it?

Shyrka posted:

Reminds me of this old bit from Injustice.

always chuckle at stuff like this where you realize if particular superheroes wanted to, they could end a fight in nanoseconds, but don't cause of plot contrivance and such.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BurritoJustice posted:

It does really blur the line between fighting fascism and advocating fascism. I honestly don't know what you're meant to walk away from it thinking.

Invincible the comic mostly ends up advocating fascism because it’s got that kinda dumb short sighted nerd thing going on where they think that meritocracy is a real thing and that if you just put The Right People In Charge everything will be great and whoops we’ve wound up in an accidental dictatorship how did that happen. Well it’s probably not important as long as we say “peace” a lot.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Superspeed is always the most overpowered power because people without superspeed can't do anything to those with it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Superspeed is always the most overpowered power because people without superspeed can't do anything to those with it

I always hate when Comics/Manga use it as an upgrade because it always works for about 1 fight then everyone they fight from then on can somehow usually keep up even if superspeed isn't their power.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

Nolan and Mark don't really have any kind of super speed or perception, though. Or any of the weird superman style extra powers. They're just super strong and tough and can fly really fast.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I definitely got the impression they are at least REALLY fast. Maybe not Flash-level fast but fast enough to catch most people completely offguard

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah didn't nolan almost catch cecil before he teleported?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The super hero team from the first episode included both a speedster and someone who could go incorporeal at will, but he still got them.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I definitely got the impression they are at least REALLY fast. Maybe not Flash-level fast but fast enough to catch most people completely offguard

Looking at the map his wife used to plan out distracting him you can see that he covers 4000+ miles in 5 minutes, but 288 miles takes him 2 minutes.

So it seems like he has a really high top speed but unlike heroes like The Flash he needs to cover a large distance to hit full speed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Nolan and Mark don't really have any kind of super speed or perception, though. Or any of the weird superman style extra powers. They're just super strong and tough and can fly really fast.

They show Mark trying to punch Nolan in the last episode and Nolan moved around him like it was nothing to show that even compared to each other Nolan still has super speed on Mark.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Tip posted:

Looking at the map his wife used to plan out distracting him you can see that he covers 4000+ miles in 5 minutes, but 288 miles takes him 2 minutes.

So it seems like he has a really high top speed but unlike heroes like The Flash he needs to cover a large distance to hit full speed.

Mark and Nolan can propel themselves forward with crazy force but I don't think they have the perception of someone like the flash or the russian speedster from the show. Nolan does have 1000+ years of killing dudes under his belt though so it works out fine for him

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's a fun running gag in the comics that everyone assumes Mark has super hearing and he has to constantly remind everyone he doesn't have generic Superman powers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Good Citizen posted:

This doesn’t track. Nolan literally couldn’t function as shown in the show if his eyes and ears couldn’t keep up with what he was doing, he wouldn’t have the reaction time to dodge other super humans/viltrumites like he clearly does. Mark is shown in the first episode to hear someone screaming for help from multiple blocks away.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hearing someone scream for help a couple blocks away is just a normal human ability though.

There is a lot of high speed stuff that Nolan probably can do on reflex rather than perception. With enough experience it would hardly be an issue moving your arm into place as you do something faster than your brain can process it. Flash et al's super speed includes the ability to speedster process high level thought too, which is mostly a just an unneeded luxury in a fight.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It says something about Nolan's opinion of non-Viltrumites (and his character in general) when he says that Red Rush was sub-tier because super speed isn't "a primo super power" yet when you pay attention to the fight against the Guardians you notice that Red Rush actually contributes the most out of everyone. He constantly moves people out of the way of Nolan's blows, he still lays a pretty good licking on him. Red Rush, as a Flash knock-off, is pretty terrifying in terms of capabilities

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

M_Gargantua posted:

Hearing someone scream for help a couple blocks away is just a normal human ability though.

You, uh, must not live in a city, huh? Around here I didn't hear a shootout that happened three blocks away, and the furthest I've heard a car collision is around the one block mark. When I hear a loud crunch but no breaking glass I don't even get up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aces High posted:

It says something about Nolan's opinion of non-Viltrumites (and his character in general) when he says that Red Rush was sub-tier because super speed isn't "a primo super power" yet when you pay attention to the fight against the Guardians you notice that Red Rush actually contributes the most out of everyone. He constantly moves people out of the way of Nolan's blows, he still lays a pretty good licking on him. Red Rush, as a Flash knock-off, is pretty terrifying in terms of capabilities

I have to imagine he was pretty salty about Red Rush getting in the way of so many of his kills.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have to imagine he was pretty salty about Red Rush getting in the way of so many of his kills.

given the way he killed him yeah i'd say he was a little miffed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm annoyed he didn't aim at Omni-man's throat instead of his chest.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
bump (rump)

https://twitter.com/RetroFirearms/status/1401233730681950209?s=20

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Omni-man sort of looks like he could've been drawn by Tom of Finland and it'd look even better.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I confused this with Irredeemable for 3 months and 1.5 episodes and I'm here to admit my shame

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I feel like super perception is implied from successfully playing catch around the Earth, given the ball’s travel time.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait so when's the next season start?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Interweb posted:

wait so when's the next season start?

Seems they waited to see how S1 went over before greenlighting s2 and s3, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

mastajake posted:

I feel like super perception is implied from successfully playing catch around the Earth, given the ball’s travel time.

Yeah but thats just a cool scene. It was actually dumb as poo poo and how did Marks ball bounce off a mountain and still end up as if it had travelled around the world.