Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sebastian Shaw standing upright is not a great sign.

event promotional art generally means next to nothing significant

remember how many characters were in the X of Swords announcement pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly as a council member…. Why hasn’t he killed himself? Surely he would have priority in redirection protocol. I can’t remember the agreement between him and Kitty/Emma.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly as a council member…. Why hasn’t he killed himself? Surely he would have priority in redirection protocol. I can’t remember the agreement between him and Kitty/Emma.

Emma threatened to reveal to the rest of the council that he had plotted to (real death!) murder a fellow council member if he tried to resurrect himself. He would have emerged from the birthing pod just in time to drop into a black hole next to Sabretooth.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 5, 2021

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kitty, Emma, and Storm all sit on the council and perfectly strong argument that making an exception to the rules (Crucible being the way to end your suffering and jump the line for reasons not the least of which being to avoid mass suicides by the depowered) in this case would set a really bad example.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Adder Moray posted:

Kitty, Emma, and Storm all sit on the council and perfectly strong argument that making an exception to the rules (Crucible being the way to end your suffering and jump the line for reasons not the least of which being to avoid mass suicides by the depowered) in this case would set a really bad example.

See now I want a wheelchair bound Shaw to take on Apocalypse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

See now I want a wheelchair bound Shaw to take on Apocalypse.

Or Shaw gets Mac and me’d

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bobkatt013 posted:

Or Shaw gets Mac and me’d

pretty niiice!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
More of an Ant-Man move, that

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

More of an Ant-Man move, that

We know as Paul Rudd showed that part during his promotion for antman on Conan

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Beerdeer posted:

I hope it doesn't all come down. Make Krakoa last a while.

I mean the reality is that these people are loving incompetent at every aspect of their personal lives, and they are literally never going to build any sort of society that works. Because they are morons. Like somewhere in the vast tide of mutants we don't follow around there might be some folks that are actually equipped to run everything, but it's certainly not any of the crew in charge now. People who are in charge entirely because they are main characters in comic books, and not because they are good enough to do the jobs they gave themselves.

As was said though, it's still going to take years to end in flames.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm, Cyclops, Magneto, Prof X, Emma Frost, Shaw, Sinister, and Apocalypse all have a ton of administrative experience.

Storm and Cyclops have it as de jure and de facto heads of state.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 5, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
having experience doesn't mean you're good at what you do, which is probably best exemplified by xavier, who would probably have trouble holding down a job teaching high school science if it wasn't for the combination of his mutation and his familial wealth

Out of everyone on the quiet council (and formerly on it) I'd only really trust Scott and Emma to get anything done. Their combined leadership from the New X-Men days roundabout through Utopia was fairly functional. Their failures feel more born out of the necessity for superhero drama than anything else.

Storm is a great individual actor, but she's very much the type to get caught up in details over big picture stuff. More of a "keep everyone alive under extreme duress" leader and less a "have everyone work together to achieve a complex task" leader.
Magneto has tons of issues, like his messiah complex (What was Genosha's national defense plan? "I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT"?) and his persistent, constantly smoldering desire to just maybe kill all the humans a little. But more than that he has really bad judgement very often, which leads him to do things like employ Fabian Cortez, or that time he antagonized the Scarlet Witch to the point that she deletes the mutations of 99% of the mutant population
Apocalypse has existed for thousands of years, and the only time he had any major success is when Legion accidentally committed patricide. Sinister is comparable to Apocalypse in this sense except less ambitious, and shorter lived, so his failures are less slightly less embarrassing.
Shaw would probably screw everyone else as much as possible to enrich himself WITHOUT going as far as to put the entire operation in danger. He's probably the most like a real life politician, in that sense.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Alaois posted:

event promotional art generally means next to nothing significant

remember how many characters were in the X of Swords announcement pic

Bill the Lobster was in the promotional art but not part of any story :negative:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm was Queen of a sovereign nation and I believe acting ruler of it at one point.

For all his flaws Genosha was a functioning nation state as well until an act of genocide that no nation on the planet could withstand happened.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Dr Hank will take care of it all, no worries.

Getting my BEAST WAS RIGHT t-shirts made up now

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

For all his flaws Genosha was a functioning nation state as well until an act of genocide that no nation on the planet could withstand happened.
Putting aside a question of whether or not Genosha was a functioning nation state at any point between Magneto fomenting a civil war in Genosha and then blackmailing the UN into recognizing him as its leader, the thing that happened immediately before the act of genocide you're describing is that Magneto (as the leader of Genosha) sent a delegate to the UN to declare war on humanity, then kidnapped and crucified Xavier and started marshaling the entire population of Genosha to destroy humanity, at which point he was severely injured (and thought killed) by Wolverine.

I am sure the response to this is "har har how is this different than a real world leader" but if I was a comic book character I would not want to elect many of them to positions of comic book power either.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

OnimaruXLR posted:

Out of everyone on the quiet council (and formerly on it) I'd only really trust Scott and Emma to get anything done. Their combined leadership from the New X-Men days roundabout through Utopia was fairly functional. Their failures feel more born out of the necessity for superhero drama than anything else.

Storm is a great individual actor, but she's very much the type to get caught up in details over big picture stuff. More of a "keep everyone alive under extreme duress" leader and less a "have everyone work together to achieve a complex task" leader.

This. Scott recusing himself from the island's ruling council was a big mistake. Between these three as a triumvirate I would absolutely trust them to competently run a micronation. Throw in Xavier as the world's foremost morally grey telepath to make other world leaders decide that antagonizing Krakoa is actually a stupid idea and baby you've got a stew going.

Oh and the other half of my thought, which ties into the "out of everyone on the quiet council" line, almost everyone else is on there for ego. All those villains with a semblance of authority? In theory that's got to be to keep their power-crazy asses from developing their own fiefdoms. Leave Magneto off the Quiet Council and your neighbouring island is called Island M within 2 months.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 5, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

This. Scott recusing himself from the island's ruling council was a big mistake. Between these three as a triumvirate I would absolutely trust them to competently run a micronation. Throw in Xavier as the world's foremost morally grey telepath to make other world leaders decide that antagonizing Krakoa is actually a stupid idea and baby you've got a stew going.

Scott being like "thanks but no thanks" just shows that he knows the Council as a whole sucks and would rather prepare for the inevitable fight that'll happen by being the Captain Commander and now reforming the X-Men.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Storm was Queen of a sovereign nation and I believe acting ruler of it at one point.

Speaking of, I know people joked about the Avengers/Fantastic Four showing up underdressed to this gala, but it was real weird that Black Panther was still in his work clothes. Aren't he and Storm still together? Seems like she could've told him to pick out a nice suit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

storm and black panther haven't been together for like 5 years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they had gotten back together in Black Panther (though I tagged out of Coates' run after he started that interminable Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda story) but maybe I'm misremembering.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty sure they had gotten back together in Black Panther (though I tagged out of Coates' run after he started that interminable Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda story) but maybe I'm misremembering.

In X of Swords, they definitely are not together when Storm steals the Wakandan sword.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Regardless, during X of Swords Storm broke into a Wakandan vault and stole an important cultural artifact. It was like the blade of the first Wakandan king or something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know anybody at Marvel that acknowledges Coates' Black Panther, you might be better off treating it as non-canon.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Storm and T'Challa had their marriage annulled during Avengers vs. X-Men, nearly a decade ago.

The two reconciled in TNC's Black Panther where they parted as friends but not lovers anymore.Then several months later in X of Swords she decided she had to steal a sacred artifact and T'Challa/et al were like "what the gently caress, I thought we were cool?"

It's almost as if the comic people are discussing acknowledged TNC's Black Panther and it's in continuity or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They are definitely still meant to be together in TNC's Black Panther. There's a whole scene where she tells the space version of Nakia that it's cool if Nakia fucks her man to blow off steam while they're both fighting a space war but he's still hers, pretty much.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Regardless, during X of Swords Storm broke into a Wakandan vault and stole an important cultural artifact. It was like the blade of the first Wakandan king or something.

Yeah I knew that I was just kind of wondering if anybody like TNC had addressed when that happened in comparison with BP and whether T'Challa/Wakanda were still on the outs with her or not. I guess probably not.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

danbanana posted:

Doug looks fuckin' SAD. Poor Doug.

He's probably worried something is going to happen to his giant wife.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Doug being into giant ladies ahead of everyone being into RE's giant lady is kind of amusing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

radlum posted:

Doug being into giant ladies ahead of everyone being into RE's giant lady is kind of amusing.

You forgot bee movie?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's a big blank of books I didn't read between halfway through Bendis run (when I completely dropped the X line) and X-Men Red/Age of X-Man. From this thread's recommendation I actually went through and just finished reading Hopeless All-New X-Men starring some of the O5. This title ended in 2017. And apparently the O5 went on to show up in other books, but when X-Men Red started there's no mention of it, and I know Kid Cable came back in time with the excuse that his old self had hosed things up by letting the O5 stay, even though it was established they couldn't go back because apparently the universe fixed itself so they never left their original time line to begin with.

So, what happened after the Hopeless run? Did the O5 actually went back home somehow? If so, how did they get fixed, considering Warren, Jean, and Hank had been changed permanently (fire wings, extra powers, and demon possession respectively)?

How did adult Jean came back, again?

Also, whatever happened to Idie and Evan afterwards? An Evan died during the Age of X-Man and apparently that was the real one and his death stuck? I know Idie showed up as a small cameo in the Krakoa era during that Broo story.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 7, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was revealed the X-Men they saw were impostors and were part of the evil future X-Men. Angel lost his fire wings and had regular ones reattached. Jean put a mental block on them before they went back so they would only remember stuff at a later date in the future, so they wouldn't know their extra powers or magic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm sorry I asked.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

It was revealed the X-Men they saw were impostors and were part of the evil future X-Men. Angel lost his fire wings and had regular ones reattached. Jean put a mental block on them before they went back so they would only remember stuff at a later date in the future, so they wouldn't know their extra powers or magic.

And also putting Bobby back in the closet which was not a good look. It did at least give Cyclops a nice cameo in Champions because now he remembers being one of them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rantmo posted:

And also putting Bobby back in the closet which was not a good look. It did at least give Cyclops a nice cameo in Champions because now he remembers being one of them.

Didn’t it say that the mind block was to prevent them from remembering anything that could change the past, so all the only stories happened along with the new. They remembered everything.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn’t it say that the mind block was to prevent them from remembering anything that could change the past, so all the only stories happened along with the new. They remembered everything.

They remembered everything once they aged into the moment that they placed the mind blocks on their younger selves. Until that moment as adults, they remembered nothing of their time in the future.

Goddamn I love comic book nonsense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

There's a bunch of poo poo about young bobby coming out before old bobby that is terrible, but he's never been in the closet at either age since the first time he was outed, and it would be really hard to retcon him being out since X-Men Volume 1 issue 8 (I think that's where Hank snatched them out of history).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looking forward to it being revealed that Hank is an rear end in a top hat because he's possessed by a demon but forgot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

Looking forward to it being revealed that Hank is an rear end in a top hat because he's possessed by a demon but forgot.

This is literally how Mikhail was originally "resolved."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Endless Mike posted:

If it gets us back to the lovable Beast of 2005, or even to the mildly assholish Beast of 2010, I'll take it.

There seems to be this weird pendulum thing where, every decade, one of the original 5 X-men has to put in some time as one of history's greatest monsters, starting with Jean Grey, continuing through Angel/Archangel, then Scott, and now Beast.