Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cephas posted:

I just got past Matador. He was rad as hell but kind of easier than I was led to believe? He beat me once and then I just summoned that fuzzy elephant demon and bought the right magatama and he really got declawed. I actually have been feeling like the game has been a little easier than I was expecting so far, especially compared to SMTIV, which had a ridiculously difficult first dungeon.

Physical strength demifiend has just been tearing through the game so far.

He's more of a surprise pop quiz to test you on game mechanics early on. Which many jrpgs take a long time to do, if ever, so by that standard he's a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Matador took me three tries but after that I haven’t had any trouble with other bosses thus far (just beat Daisoujou)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I feel like Matador is one of the few times in the series where you have to use Sukukaja

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

I feel like Matador is one of the few times in the series where you have to use Sukukaja

It's one of the few times where it is basically required but Sukukaja is actually really strong in games with Press Turns because missing attacks, even if it's only one target of a multi target attack, removes press turns so it's pretty good at lowering the damage output of a boss by denying them actions. It's a lot less useful in something like Persona because even if one or two party members dodge attacks chances are you'll still need to heal your other party members so it doesn't really save you any healing actions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Matador’s stayed in my party for probably way longer than he has any right to purely because Red Capote makes him a great dodgetank.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I kind of wish that SMT had a way to make a demon a tank with some sort of 'draw aggro' move

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A new passive skill called "Punchable Face"

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

And also occasionally your mc gets an unlucky one shot before you even take a turn

When I first started SMTIV, I got killed in the the very first fight in Naraku. It was stacked against me. 2 v 1, and too slow to attack. Really set the tone for when I would later wander into at least 3 different dens that had bosses 30-40+ levels higher than me (and the demons in the areas they are in), as I desperately just wanted to find whatever part of town I was supposed to go to so I could continue the plot :smithicide:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NikkolasKing posted:

I hear Demifiend in DDS1 is 100% garbage, unfair bullshit.

It's been a long time since I played the game, but I seem to recall it's just one of those fights where you have to have a very specific party setup and follow a very specific sequence of actions, otherwise you get obliterated. So not hard if you know what to do (although RNG can still get you), but nigh-impossible if you don't.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I hear Demifiend in DDS1 is 100% garbage, unfair bullshit.

Yeah, that was by far the stupidest thing I've ever done in a videogame and I don't recommend the experience even with a guide next to you. In the best possible case it's still an absurdly long, tedious fight. That said, I'm not difficult is the right word - it's not like you have a lot of active decision making to do. You follow the script or you lose, you maybe lose sometimes even if you're following the script perfectly, and the little bit of flexibility you have within the script doesn't really impact your success or failure.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Here's a little tip for the Demifiend fight in DDS that no one thinks about: use Resist Phys.

With that, Null Critical and Close Call (Null Sleep is nice but not 100% required) the fight becomes way, way easier.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Hrist posted:

When I first started SMTIV, I got killed in the the very first fight in Naraku. It was stacked against me. 2 v 1, and too slow to attack. Really set the tone for when I would later wander into at least 3 different dens that had bosses 30-40+ levels higher than me (and the demons in the areas they are in), as I desperately just wanted to find whatever part of town I was supposed to go to so I could continue the plot :smithicide:

lol

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Junpei posted:

I kind of wish that SMT had a way to make a demon a tank with some sort of 'draw aggro' move

Prior to every dungeon I’d spend as long as necessary combining draw aggro with the appropriate null/reflect skills for that dungeon

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Since IV was brought up I want to share my favorite thing about the game.

Go ahead. Try it yourself on youtube.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lmao

that song is boss as gently caress. so good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody help me out with SMT1 basic poo poo.

I've been putting all my points into Magic. I'm Level 3 and have no MP yet but I assume I'll get magic in some form eventually, right? Like an SJ Space Marine Magic Gun?

More worryingly, I got my first demon, Pixie. It took money to summon her which sucks but that is nothing compared to how she's losing 1 point of HP every step???

Also I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going since the police block everything. I had the second dream and named my neighbor friend. I assume I have to meet some weird old guy at a park but I swear the only place I can go is the shopping mall.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody help me out with SMT1 basic poo poo.

I've been putting all my points into Magic. I'm Level 3 and have no MP yet but I assume I'll get magic in some form eventually, right? Like an SJ Space Marine Magic Gun?

More worryingly, I got my first demon, Pixie. It took money to summon her which sucks but that is nothing compared to how she's losing 1 point of HP every step???

Also I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going since the police block everything. I had the second dream and named my neighbor friend. I assume I have to meet some weird old guy at a park but I swear the only place I can go is the shopping mall.

Oh no

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Uh oh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh no.......

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MC never gets magic in SMT I or II

Heroine does though, she also gets a very good set a spells to use

Magic is good in SMTI and Less good in II, they reduced the rates of Status' hitting. Heroine should also lean towards Physical in II

You do need to put points in Int as it will make Negotiations easier, but you don't need a ton

Dex or Agi or whatever is king, it makes you dodge more, hit more, and it affects guns which are the best for crowd control.
Str is good too, your MC can hit hard as hell with some of the fusion swords

The Reason you are losing HP on Pixie is you have no Mag, each step reduces the amount of MAG you have. You get it from Chest's and killing Demons

The park will be at the verysouth, it kind of doesn't look like you can hit it.

The mall also lets you see a scene with Chaos Hero before you get him, or maybe it's just Ozawa, but there's a missable scene.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you should probably restart nicolas, smt 1 (and 2 i believe) both punish putting points into magic since its useless. i dont know why they thought the mc getting magic was bad but im glad they stopped after...like 10 years

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tallgeese posted:

Well, they did a wipe. ReImagine are somewhat considered the more grindy server because they implemented a fortune card (read: gacha) system for equipment, among other reasons.
The story content isn't fully translated, so if that's what you're in it for I wouldn't try it yet.
What are the other active servers, if that's not too :filez:? Googling "SMT Imagine private server" just finds ReImagined, your GitHub repo, and a thread on Proboards from like 2016 with someone saying that they were working on a private server.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah you need to restart. I did replay the Opening just so I don't give poo poo advice, you just need to go to the southmost roadblock to see the man.

Also you can't cancel Autobattle once you activate it, you're gonna kill yourself once by doing that. Mentally prepare yourself

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I did have the presence of mind to increase Agility. My initial point allotment was 8 Vitality, 10 Magic, 10 intelligence and 10 Agility.

But yeah, it won't be anything to restart and do it over. I just kind of gave random points to the other three...Chaos Hero was more Physical and had high Luck because I assumed it works and helps with Crits in this game. Law and Heroine were a mix of both physical and magic or something, I already forgot.

Also I hate not having any default names. I never make up new names anymore. The names that came to me were:
Law Hero: Wakka (I was talking about FFX when I started the game the other day)
Chaos Hero: Kira (because he needs an awesome name)
Heroine: Sara (after the DDS chick for some reason)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Commander Keene posted:

What are the other active servers, if that's not too :filez:? Googling "SMT Imagine private server" just finds ReImagined, your GitHub repo, and a thread on Proboards from like 2016 with someone saying that they were working on a private server.

There are three:

https://www.rekuiemu.net/

Rekuiemu is the closest to what we'd call "vanilla" IMAGINE, in that it has the least amount of user-created content. It lets you get everything through gameplay, with the cash points for them earned by running dungeons, but it's a bit small population-wise. Just pulled the English translation from the dev team repo, so that's up-to-date.

---

http://megatenonline.ru/

New Order, a server hosted in Russia. It contains the most custom content that is generally high-quality, including recruitable Dante if that tickles your fancy. Like Rekuiemu, it lets you earn cash points by running dungeons and you direct-buy items with those points. It, ironically, has the most up-to-date English translation from the development team.

---

ReIMAGINE that you mentioned is the third. It has the largest population by dint of being the first private server, and some custom content. It has implemented a Fortune Card (gacha) system for equipment that was cash shop that you buy the rolls for with cash shop points you earn from dungeons, as opposed to direct cash shop point buy like the other servers. From what I understand this makes it the grindiest server.

Additionally, it has what is effectively a one-sided ongoing feud with the server development team, and has split off into a private translation repository over arguments in violation of the open-source license, without having the necessary technical skills for server development if it comes to that. The crux of the argument was not managing the translation properly (it was delegated to them by the server development team head), and wanting to keep Aeria Games' frankly disastrous original translation. So in that sense it will be different from the other two servers.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 6, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

I did have the presence of mind to increase Agility. My initial point allotment was 8 Vitality, 10 Magic, 10 intelligence and 10 Agility.

But yeah, it won't be anything to restart and do it over. I just kind of gave random points to the other three...Chaos Hero was more Physical and had high Luck because I assumed it works and helps with Crits in this game. Law and Heroine were a mix of both physical and magic or something, I already forgot.

Also I hate not having any default names. I never make up new names anymore. The names that came to me were:
Law Hero: Wakka (I was talking about FFX when I started the game the other day)
Chaos Hero: Kira (because he needs an awesome name)
Heroine: Sara (after the DDS chick for some reason)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

iirc in the GBA ver of SMT1 you can cancel autobattle (and theres some QoL stuff the snes ver doesn't have)?? idk which ver ur playing tho

and for default names, i like using the ones that the Steven Report has (theres a couple other sets of names from diff sources too):

Hero: Kazuya
Law Hero: Yuji
Chaos Hero: Takeshi
Heroine: Yuka

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

iirc in the GBA ver of SMT1 you can cancel autobattle (and theres some QoL stuff the snes ver doesn't have)?? idk which ver ur playing tho

and for default names, i like using the ones that the Steven Report has (theres a couple other sets of names from diff sources too):

Hero: Kazuya
Law Hero: Yuji
Chaos Hero: Takeshi
Heroine: Yuka

I am playing the GBA version since it has the good translation. And I guess I'll use those names, thanks.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Weird that so many different SMT games have various media where the character names are different. You'd think that would be a branding thing they would want to stay on top of

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That GBA port looks weird as hell, did they use the PS1 graphics and then downgrade them. Really weird.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NikkolasKing posted:

I am playing the GBA version since it has the good translation.

I am not looking forward to thinking about changing the Great Cathedral to the Basilica when I get around to that in IMAGINE, frankly. That was a solid change to dodge confusion with the Cathedral of Shadows.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So are there any good mods for the steam version of Nocturne yet?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Since IV was brought up I want to share my favorite thing about the game.

Go ahead. Try it yourself on youtube.

For some other good themes Archangel battle and Divine Powers are great.
https://youtu.be/d1qS9LMuK8M
https://youtu.be/-EtFEfnwCxc

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Remixs that went of the first three games titles that went up before release were all killer as hell, I wish they'd have used them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9repXoGDzhs

And of course It's impossible to find them unless you have the drat CD

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

For some other good themes Archangel battle and Divine Powers are great.
https://youtu.be/d1qS9LMuK8M
https://youtu.be/-EtFEfnwCxc

If we're gonna get started on good Apoc songs I could be here all day

Want awesome normal boss themes? I associate this song with Sukuna-Hikona, the Matador of Apocalypse. If more people played Apoc, I have no doubt he'd be just as infamous.
One of the best dungeon themes in any SMT or Persona game

Apoc not only has a GOAT world map theme it also adds a second amazing world map theme at a certain story point.

And the best final boss theme in all SMT and Persona history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marMHH6a63g

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

And the best final boss theme in all SMT and Persona history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marMHH6a63g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdZ_2QwqwQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAWAf_SWcw

Think you meant second best

Dark horse candidate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydh1nEMLxQw

PS1 Pandora goes hard as poo poo too, I wish I had used the music replacer on my playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjcsNDVCLc

Ah I found the Remixed openings of 1 and 2 they did for 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6uSVjEUddg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zeH0gJcf0

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 6, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

That GBA port looks weird as hell, did they use the PS1 graphics and then downgrade them. Really weird.

i feel like they did for most of it, but then they completely overhauled the world map in the gba version to look more in line with like, smt3 or p2??

(psx which basically looks like the snes ver)

(gba)

im only like 30 mins into smt1 though so idk how it looks later :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if Iron Claw in Nocturne has some kind of accuracy penalty? I've got both it and Divine Shot so I could compare the two and I keep whiffing with it, way more than I ever have with DS. Am I just getting weirdly unlucky here?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Iron Claw has low accuracy yes. It hits real hard if you can land it (sukukaja/sukunda up, or vs frozen/shocked enemies)... but i'd probably just run deathbound.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does the GBA SMT1 have a quick save feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

you should probably restart nicolas, smt 1 (and 2 i believe) both punish putting points into magic since its useless. i dont know why they thought the mc getting magic was bad but im glad they stopped after...like 10 years

The dumbest thing is how the magic stat is mostly useless for the MC in both games but there's still the Michael Jackson knockoff NPC late into SMT2 that locks you out of continuing the plot until you level Magic up to a certain amount. (He challenges you to a dance-off before he will give you a plot-critical item, and dancing better than him involves having your Magic stat at a certain level for some reason.)
INT allegedly affects how well you can talk to demons, but it's still not good to put a lot of points into it.

They didn't start giving the MC magic until they removed the other human party members for Nocturne and later games, so I think it's more like they added it to make up for the lack of human allies.