Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

My understanding is that they kind of aren't in charge of the vaccination programme. Unless "taking a back seat to a nationwide organisation full of expertise and data because you know you'd just get peanut butter on the lens of the slide projector and accidentally invade wales or something if you DID try to take charge of this" counts as taking charge.

Honestly shows more sense and foresight than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
You shouldn't get drunk after your shot because if one of your side effects is a huge rear end migraine (like me), you'll want to take as much Tylenol and Advil as you possibly can to make that poo poo go away.

I get headaches from time to time, but that's the worst one I've had in years.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
When I got my second Pfizer shot at around 3 PM my arm felt less sore than the first time but oh boy the morning after I had such a bad headache I took a sick day and just laid in bed all day. The rolling fevers in bed were such a weird sensation, I kept tossing my socks on and off

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My second Moderna shot had me at 101 fever the next day, accompanied by stiffness, cold chills, sweats, headache and nausea. The nausea luckily never got back enough to straight vomit, but I came close a few times. I just spent the whole day wrapped up in a bath robe, hurt and ached too much to nap, sitting in front of the computer. Then at about 9 I just gave up and laid down in bed to sleep, woke up in a sweat-soaked bed and felt fine, got a full night's sleep and the next day was totally fine and over it.

First shot didn't do anything but make my arm a little sore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
After my second Pfizer shot:
  • Day 2: Migraine, all day. I could have diagrammed the vasculature of the brain from sensation alone.
  • Day 2: Elevated heartrate, all day. Wore my fitbit to bed? Avg 77 BPM while sleeping.

Got to be honest, it was a little concerning.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Had a sore arm after my first Pfizer and then three days later in the afternoon had incredible fatigue and just moving took an act of intense willpower, was fine the next day. No sore arm after the second shot but I woke up at 1am two days after feeling like I had been hit by a truck, the whole next day the entire volume of my body hurt from my skin down into my bones. Tylenol helped but it sucked. Day after that I was fine again and feeling better than normal.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

What's the latest on vaccinated people being able to spread covid? I had a friend over last night that I haven't seen in a year and after about an hour of being here he told me he spent all of memorial day weekend bar hopping at *insert local beach resort town*. We're both fully vaxxed with mrna vaccines so not only would it have to be spreadable by him but it would also have to breakthrough me, but I have to admit that made me feel a little uncomfortable being in a room with him for an hour.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sharknado slashfic posted:

What's the latest on vaccinated people being able to spread covid? I had a friend over last night that I haven't seen in a year and after about an hour of being here he told me he spent all of memorial day weekend bar hopping at *insert local beach resort town*. We're both fully vaxxed with mrna vaccines so not only would it have to be spreadable by him but it would also have to breakthrough me, but I have to admit that made me feel a little uncomfortable being in a room with him for an hour.
It’s possible but unlikely

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I would not be worried.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It is perhaps an eighty percent reduction.

Shame that your friend did that, but don’t lose sleep over it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It isn't being tracked if it's anything less than hospitalization so we have no idea but your friend sucks for not bringing that up before and I'm sorry he did that. It's unlikely you'll get it, but if you do, kick him in the rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It would have to be a breakthrough asymptomatic case for him followed by you having a breakthrough case from catching 20 percent of the viral load you would get from an unvaccinated asymptomatic person. It’s very, very unlikely.

soupdragon
Dec 29, 2019
I'm in the UK and it has been four weeks since my first jab of AZ. Still haven't heard anything about my second. I got a NHS blue letter to get my first jab at a large group centre after I already got it at my GP. I hope that doesn't mess my chances up of getting the second one quickly. I assume the mix up was due to my age, as I turn 50 this year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

Here in the US, the 7-day average number of cases is now, 64 weeks since we first started lockdowns, at the same level it was 2 weeks into lockdown. The next big psychologically-significant milestone number will be when the average has fallen below 10,000 cases. Sadly, the next psychologically-significant milestone number after that will be reaching 600,000 reported deaths. :(

Actual numbers will of course be somewhat higher and there's been several studies trying to sort through all the data for a more accurate count but so far there's been no consensus. Some studies say the actual number of deaths caused by covid in the US may be at least 50% than the reported figures.

quote:

A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.

The final count only estimates deaths "caused directly by the SARS-CoV-2 virus," according to the study's authors. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.

Researchers estimated dramatic undercounts in countries such as India, Mexico and Russia, where they said the official death counts are some 400,000 too low in each country. In some countries — including Japan, Egypt and several Central Asian nations — the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation's death toll estimate is more than 10 times higher than reported totals.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...covid-19-in-u-s

Peru's actual count might be somewhere closer to 200% higher than their reported figures
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1399449368701308938

The death toll in India is anyone's guess, the Modi administration has been deliberately obfuscating the numbers

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

you’ll be fine but even if you weren’t how would you know it was from him

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

helsabot posted:

Genomic sequencing! Which is hardly being done at all in the US (comparative to certain other countries) so that's not real likely.

The number of cases in Australia is so low that we're able to figure out exactly which people passed the virus on to others even if there's a step or two in the middle missing. We've had some instances of community spread that we know originated from a specific person in hotel quarantine but sometimes the contact tracers can't find a direct link between them, which is a bit of a concern.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wow, numbers big.

:monocle:

It's been an absolute clusterfuck worldwide and after all the funerals I've done, I wouldn't be surprised at all that 900k is the likely low side correct number.

In a few years if we ever get better estimates, I wonder if it will make anyone pause and realize how lucky they are to see those edited numbers.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Genomic sequencing! Which is hardly being done at all in the US (comparative to certain other countries) so that's not real likely.

The number of cases in Australia is so low that we're able to figure out exactly which people passed the virus on to others even if there's a step or two in the middle missing. We've had some instances of community spread that we know originated from a specific person in hotel quarantine but sometimes the contact tracers can't find a direct link between them, which is a bit of a concern.

oh dang that’s pretty cool!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Given that Australia's only had a handful of COVID cases this year it's kind of alarming that we're having any at all where the infected person in question was already vaxxed:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1401384742348525569

(This aged care resident and at least one hotel security guard, from memory.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think it’s that alarming.

I mean, it’s alarming that the contagion was allowed to enter an aged care facility, but given that that has already occurred, it’s not unlikely that a vaccinated person would test positive.

I don’t think we have great figures on what proportion of vaccinated persons will test positive, if exposed [to a situation that would infect an unvaccinated person], but it’s got to be more than a fifth in the general population and higher in the elderly. If an effective carrier works in the facility, someone’s going to pop positive.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 7, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah given that the current Melbourne outbreak is up to 70 cases of community spread and since the vaccines are rated at 95% efficacy at best it's not all that surprising that there's one or two breakthrough cases in the mix. Vaxxed aged care residents popping positive is especially unsurprising, it's been noted that the elderly sometimes don't develop a high degree of immune response from the vaccines.

Here's a random preprint I just googled:

quote:

After the second vaccination, 31.3 % of the elderly had no detectable neutralizing antibodies in contrast to the younger group, in which only 2.2% had no detectable neutralizing antibodies.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.03.21251066v1.full
(Note that T cells and B cells should also be taken into account when you're measuring immune responses, antibodies aren't the whole story)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1401309434777903119

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

soupdragon posted:

I'm in the UK and it has been four weeks since my first jab of AZ. Still haven't heard anything about my second. I got a NHS blue letter to get my first jab at a large group centre after I already got it at my GP. I hope that doesn't mess my chances up of getting the second one quickly. I assume the mix up was due to my age, as I turn 50 this year.

HAve you tried speaking to your GP? When mine rang me out of the blue to arrange my jabs they arranged dates for both right there and then, so unless they've dropped a serious clanger I'd imagine they've got a date with your name on it somewhere.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

soupdragon posted:

You need to call the jab phone number, this happened to a gammon relation of mine and it’s that he wasn’t told the date that had automatically been booked for him for his second jab..

It was quite A Thing Of Drama; I told him to call the number over and over again because I could see some well meaning but incompetent idiot had booked him in manually with their own phone number and email, but no no “the doctor calls you you are not supposed to call them”, even though I’d just spent the last 4 months booking in 50 people via 3 different invite schemes and every single one of them you booked it twice at the same time.

Of course he missed his second jab and then they didn’t have any of his vaccine in the centre for a week after he finally called the number and was told his jab should have been the day before.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

soupdragon posted:

I was confused by this because a lot of people I know seemed to know when their second dose was going to be immediately because they'd booked them both online at the same time. I didn't even know you could do this.

So I went online to book again and it gave me dates 2-3 months after my first. If you want to get it sorted I'd suggest doing the same I guess? It's a bit confusing tbh because like you I was expecting someone to contact me about it, the website doesn't make it clear you can book your second after or even before having your first.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please please call the number and don’t book it online after a GP jab, they will need to make sure they book you on a day when your vaccine is showing as being given out.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

soupdragon posted:

My understanding from attending many meetings about Covid over the last few months is that they will text you after ten weeks to book the second so that you can be jabbed by the twelfth week. If they are ahead where you are like they are when I am in Yorkshire then it might be sooner. You don’t have to book in my town now as long as it’s been ten weeks since your first jab you can just turn up and get stabbed like I did.

soupdragon
Dec 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions. I should have clarified and mentioned that I am in Scotland, so things might work a bit differently here. I was fully expecting to have to wait 10+ weeks to get contacted but I've heard from friends and family that they have got theirs a lot sooner (which may have been because most of them were older).

I logged into the NHS system that is used for rescheduling appointments and it had a vaccination record with all the correct details about my first jab. There's nothing about me missing the other 'first' appointment so everything seems correct at their end. There is no upcoming appointments listed so I'll keep checking that page regularly. If I don't hear anything after a few weeks, I'll contact my GP directly and decide what to do after that.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

My 93 year old father-in-law got his second Pfizer dose 4 days ago. He went to bed early and only had a sore arm for a day! With his first shot he had the sniffles and a sore arm for a day. Wife and I had our first dose with just the sore arm.

Holy poo poo is it a relief he's vaccinated. I think I've left the house 5 times outside of getting groceries twice a month. He was a great excuse for getting to work from home right away though.

My close friend called me paranoid for not hanging out. Dude, your two kids were still in school, you were still going to the gym, and then went to Florida for a no-mask Xmas wedding. Minor Karma for potentially bringing more Covid into Canada. I built him a new PC with a $400 video card. I dropped it off on his porch so I didn't set it up, and he used it for almost a year with the monitor plugged into the motherboard.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

In the uk my doctor just texted me and I could book in for the next day. Only booked one at a time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Had my 2nd Astrazeneca shot yesterday but no idea if I had any side effects, 'cos they've been masked by my stinking hangover.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As someone in their early 40s in fairly good health I'm not getting poo poo until maybe October. The vaxx situation in Norway is utterly pathetic. If anything I'd hoped this all would have caused outrage so we could finally get rid of the conservative shitters in government during this years election but it doesn't look like it.
I mean Norway is one of the European countries that have provided the most funds for research, way more than France for instance. Despite this the amount of vaccines we're getting is minimal.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bape Culture posted:

In the uk my doctor just texted me and I could book in for the next day. Only booked one at a time.

Yeh, the invite text is what they ask to see at the door.

It got messed up for some early jabees because right at the start the doctors* were booking the appointments themselves via the NHS app then sending a text, and then forgetting to book a second one.

*lovely gatekeeping karen receptionists

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

How is anyone this dumb able to not walk into traffic every single day?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think we have great figures on what proportion of vaccinated persons will test positive, if exposed, but it’s got to be more than a fifth in the general population and higher in the elderly.

I think that claiming that 20%+ of vaccinated people will catch Covid if exposed might be overstating the risk a bit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

I think that claiming that 20%+ of vaccinated people will catch Covid if exposed might be overstating the risk a bit.

Testing positive is different than catching it, the PCR tests are absurdly sensitive. Recovered and no contagious people can test positive for up to thirty days from viral leftovers.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Testing positive is different than catching it, the PCR tests are absurdly sensitive. Recovered and no contagious people can test positive for up to thirty days from viral leftovers.

Interesting, and not something I knew. Thanks for the info!

I still think that the claim that over one fifth of vaccinated people will test positive after Covid exposure requires some supporting evidence.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

Interesting, and not something I knew. Thanks for the info!

I still think that the claim that over one fifth of vaccinated people will test positive after Covid exposure requires some supporting evidence.

Oh definitely, I just wanted to point out the difference in terms there.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It isn't being tracked if it's anything less than hospitalization so we have no idea but your friend sucks for not bringing that up before and I'm sorry he did that. It's unlikely you'll get it, but if you do, kick him in the rear end.

I can't even blame him, he's ~trusting the science~ that the vaccines do their thing and the "cdc said" if you're vaxxed open 'er up...and he seems to be having an inconveniently timed mid-life crisis.

helsabot posted:

Well it's that or one of the masked people at the outdoor garden center at home depot that I was at a week before :shrug:

Regardless, I assume everything will be fine, I think I was kind of having culture shock because that's the first time I've had a non-family member in close proximity to me indoors in over a year (other then like, verizon and that stuff). Anyways thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Well it's that or one of the masked people at the outdoor garden center at home depot that I was at a week before :shrug:

It sounds like you’re contact tracing a completely hypothetical and very unlikely COVID case here though. There’s no “it”.