Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bryan Dechart said basically "yeah a lot of the best stuff between Hank and Connor were done in spite of David Cage" in a livestream.

my favorite clip from that twitch was when he said "I like dogs." was his favorite line in the script and it made David really upset

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

oh i dunno the Actual Robot Extermination Camp was a bit much

It's very on the nose, but you can kinda squint and still see where it came from in the context of "product recall".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Did you guys post Curio's video on why the Matrix sequels are good, actually?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0VnYcMHuDc&hd=1

It's pretty good, although much like the SW prequel defenses, I feel like it ignores how tiresome the prose on those movies can be, even if they're conceptually interesting.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alaois posted:

oh i dunno the Actual Robot Extermination Camp was a bit much

Stuff like that and the "robots go at the back of the bus DO YOU GET IT" scene were very Cage-y. Like, c'mon man. Everyone got the analogy already.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I felt like watching an LP of Detroit I hadn't seen like yesterday and going into today, the scene early with the BACK OF THE BUS, ROBITS is also named "Shades of Color" which yeah lol, I like the game ultimately but there's still a lot to laugh at for how on the nose it gets. Also man, the scene with Markus in the android hell junkyard is legit great, the convenient coat at the escape is funny, but all the body horror imagery is super cool, getting the new, mismatched color eye, the other androids that try and grab at you wanting to do what you're doing, THE PAIR OF LEGS JUST HOBBLING ALONG :stonk:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 5, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Stuff like that and the "robots go at the back of the bus DO YOU GET IT" scene were very Cage-y. Like, c'mon man. Everyone got the analogy already.

i don't know if you get this a lot but im just gonna be the one to do it: lmao post/av combo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lmfao

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alaois posted:

i don't know if you get this a lot but im just gonna be the one to do it: lmao post/av combo

Surprisingly rarely. It's one of my favourite dumb bits of battle tech art and it's always appropriate.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 5, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dias posted:

It's pretty good, although much like the SW prequel defenses, I feel like it ignores how tiresome the prose on those movies can be, even if they're conceptually interesting.

I couldn't get behind Revolution. Reloaded was pretty good if you kind of ignore the finale of the first movie. But yeah, making peace with the machines was never really earned and it just bothered me. Not one that brags about destroying Zion multiple times making it more efficient at doing so tells me these machines at all give a poo poo about humanity other than being fuel. The empathetic ones are the exception not the rule and nothing about them changes other than Neo makes a deal with the giant robot head. Maybe the fourth film will make that step but nothing about that setting makes me believe that there'd be any cooperation between enslaved humanity and their slaver machine masters. Nor should there be.

Neo should have burned them all do the ground.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dias posted:

ignores how tiresome the prose on those movies can be, even if they're conceptually interesting.
thread title.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

I've always said that as to why I honestly liked Detroit a good bit, it's a David Cage game, but it also feels like the most reined in he's been.

Yeah. I played a bit of it and I did like it way more then two souls which is such a loving lovely weird mess which sucks because I like elliott and I loving love Wilhelm Defoe but the plot makes all these weird loving jumps. Like the whole part in Africa where you kill that random warlord with ghost fetus powers but suddenly he was the good guy all along and what’s her name is surprised that she was part of some agency hit squad. Like what the gently caress did you think your job was. Idk lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dias posted:

Revolutions went too far up its own rear end to be any good, and it didn't help that the Wachowskis decided to invest a lot of the story into the Matrix Online instead of the movies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I couldn't get behind Revolution. Reloaded was pretty good if you kind of ignore the finale of the first movie. But yeah, making peace with the machines was never really earned and it just bothered me. Not one that brags about destroying Zion multiple times making it more efficient at doing so tells me these machines at all give a poo poo about humanity other than being fuel. The empathetic ones are the exception not the rule and nothing about them changes other than Neo makes a deal with the giant robot head. Maybe the fourth film will make that step but nothing about that setting makes me believe that there'd be any cooperation between enslaved humanity and their slaver machine masters. Nor should there be.

Neo should have burned them all do the ground.

Animatrix historical background thing sorta explains it but the whole thing never really worked. All I know is the kids next door cartoon made a really weirdly good parody of that animated piece.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The one thing I appreciate about both Matrix sequels is that they came out in the same year and we were all able to move on from them pretty quickly because of that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/itsTomokocchi/status/1400578665574961158

There was also Woolie's deep, deflating sigh when the android was told to stand at the back of the bus.
Also the secret ending where it's revealed that the androids may not even be acting independently as the robot revolution was puppet-mastered by the company that makes them so they could steal real estate is peek Cage.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dias posted:

I feel like it ignores how tiresome the prose on those movies can be, even if they're conceptually interesting.

some people like dialogue.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bleck posted:

some people like dialogue.

Its good that you said dialogue, not good dialogue. Which is a big problem with all of the Wachowski's works, aside from maybe the first Matrix movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

Also the secret ending where it's revealed that the androids may not even be acting independently as the robot revolution was puppet-mastered by the company that makes them so they could steal real estate is peek Cage.

wh

what

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

As lovely as that is. I admire the balls of that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dias posted:

I'm only halfway in and I definitely agree this analysis is very interesting, but it seems to dip into the trend that afflicts a lot of...er...apologia, I guess?...where it relies on willful, almost dogged subjectivity to make its points.

Like, as much as I agree that the Matrices display a lot of queer and trans :airquote:vibes:airquote:, the video pointing at Neo and Trinity being total textbook heterosexuals doing heterosex things onscreen and pleading for me to see how lesbian they actually are if you really look hard past the...literal thing you're seeing right now was...probably not as stirring a position as they think it is. "How can anyone think these aren't lesbians!" Well...very easily?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ghostlight posted:

this is news to me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a lot of plot points that only come to light/occur at all on certain paths, particularly if you gently caress up super hard.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The best thing about Detroit is that during the Best Friends LP, the guys (who absolutely hated the previous David Cage games) are legitimately enjoying themselves despite its many flaws... and then they get to a scene that starts dropping hints that the little girl is secretly a robot and you can just hear their souls leaving their bodies.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm only halfway in and I definitely agree this analysis is very interesting, but it seems to dip into the trend that afflicts a lot of...er...apologia, I guess?...where it relies on willful, almost dogged subjectivity to make its points.

Like, as much as I agree that the Matrices display a lot of queer and trans :airquote:vibes:airquote:, the video pointing at Neo and Trinity being total textbook heterosexuals doing heterosex things onscreen and pleading for me to see how lesbian they actually are if you really look hard past the...literal thing you're seeing right now was...probably not as stirring a position as they think it is. "How can anyone think these aren't lesbians!" Well...very easily?

yeah this is a big problem i have with folks discussing the matrix lately. it gets treated like it is a movie/series about being trans instead of a movie/series that functions as an allegory of the trans experience. obviously because of the women who created it you should not ignore that aspect of it but first and foremost it’s an overcomplicated lore dump with action scenes that keep getting less and less cool and frequent

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if connor becomes deviant and marcus dies, connor becomes leader of the revolution and it's revealed that that was cyberlife's whole plan to begin with and now they'll push a button to turn off connor's deviancy and use him to control an entire city of androids outside of us law.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think that’s a “secret” ending, just one of the endings. If Marcus is still alive or Connor dies it doesn’t work after all.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kay Kessler posted:

The best thing about Detroit is that during the Best Friends LP, the guys (who absolutely hated the previous David Cage games) are legitimately enjoying themselves despite its many flaws... and then they get to a scene that starts dropping hints that the little girl is secretly a robot and you can just hear their souls leaving their bodies.

That just proved that David Cage didnt even have the guts to believe in anything he pretends to write about.
"What, of course an android could not be this protective for a real girl."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BrianWilly posted:

relies on willful, almost dogged subjectivity to make its points.

but enough about art criticism

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DeafNote posted:

That just proved that David Cage didnt even have the guts to believe in anything he pretends to write about.
"What, of course an android could not be this protective for a real girl."

I will give him the intent. I will. The way the scene is framed, it's not supposed to be a "lmao you were both robots all along so none of it matters" thing. Kara's easily forgotten friend is there to say "Look, you loved her when you thought she was human, is that feeling any less real now that you know?" The problem is that it's swerving into that question when previously, it was still on the table that Kara is just a machine and her feelings aren't real.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kay Kessler posted:

The SPFP run of Beyond Two Souls is still amazing, from a combination of losing their poo poo over the wacky David Cageness, and also calling out EXACTLY what would happen hours before it does.

Like in video one it's implied digital Elliot Page is wanted for treason over a CIA operation, and they guess 'African warlord they tricked her into killing'. Fast forward something like 12 hours later and-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA4Uh0rhA0&t=812s

Also this moment when they realise the game won't let them lose ever ('gameovers are a failure of game design') which just crystalizes the idea that Cage only makes his stuff have 'gameplay' under duress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA4Uh0rhA0&t=1672s

*videos are timestamped

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
For me the big reason the Matrix sequels weren't as enjoyable as the original was because the philosophical ideas they dealt with were less interesting to me than those of the original. It sort of shifted its focus away from Baudrillard and The Platonic Cave and into what I felt was much more run-of-the-mill themes of predetermination and the whole "Chosen one" archetype.

Also, while looking up the two sequels on Wikipedia to refresh my memory of them I noticed that the "See Also" section for Reloaded only included two items: "Simulated Reality" and "List of films featuring powered exoskeletons"?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

For me the big reason the Matrix sequels weren't as enjoyable as the original was because the philosophical ideas they dealt with were less interesting to me than those of the original. It sort of shifted its focus away from Baudrillard and The Platonic Cave and into what I felt was much more run-of-the-mill themes of predetermination and the whole "Chosen one" archetype.

Also, while looking up the two sequels on Wikipedia to refresh my memory of them I noticed that the "See Also" section for Reloaded only included two items: "Simulated Reality" and "List of films featuring powered exoskeletons"?

That unbearably smarmy guy acting like he's a genius for saying the most obvious poo poo about cause and effect made my drat eyes roll out of my skull.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

revolutions is arguably a deconstruction of how the concept of a chosen one is often a means to manufacture consent but people don't get this because they cannot possibly fathom that portraying somebody as A Jesus could be a bad thing

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Beyond Two Souls is such a weird game, there's so many moments in it where you'll go "People don't act like this right?" or just completely one off stuff that feels like a random idea they had to put in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bobjr posted:

Beyond Two Souls is such a weird game, there's so many moments in it where you'll go "People don't act like this right?" or just completely one off stuff that feels like a random idea they had to put in.

It feels like it was originally meant to be linear too, and then David Cage suddenly went "you know what, it'd be cooler if we just hopped around the chapters seemingly at random :pseudo:" despite it obliterating a prepared narrative.

There's bits like the snowball fight in their childhood that read like "this is a discreet tutorial" despite occurring near the end of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Yardbomb posted:

Also man, the scene with Markus in the android hell junkyard is legit great, the convenient coat at the escape is funny, but all the body horror imagery is super cool, getting the new, mismatched color eye, the other androids that try and grab at you wanting to do what you're doing, THE PAIR OF LEGS JUST HOBBLING ALONG :stonk:
That scene is very good, but it doesn't really fit properly with the rest of the game. And definitely not with the clumsy race analogy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It feels like it was originally meant to be linear too, and then David Cage suddenly went "you know what, it'd be cooler if we just hopped around the chapters seemingly at random :pseudo:" despite it obliterating a prepared narrative.

There's bits like the snowball fight in their childhood that read like "this is a discreet tutorial" despite occurring near the end of the game.

I played it as a monthly free PS Plus game, and at that point they did have a linear gameplay option, granted the original all over the place timeline was explicitly labeled with "This is the way the game is meant to be played, only do the other way as a last resort".

So I spent most of the game wondering if the Native American stuff would ever matter again and it didn't.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

revolutions is arguably a deconstruction of how the concept of a chosen one is often a means to manufacture consent but people don't get this because they cannot possibly fathom that portraying somebody as A Jesus could be a bad thing

"Arguably" is doing a lot of work there, given that Neo/One still sacrifices himself to banish his evil, world-dooming counterpart, is laid out in a Christ-like t-pose as he is carried on his robot hearse, and is implied to be capable of returning. Again.

The second and third movies never really fleshed out the world and themes as well as I hoped. Zion and the machine world and such were implied in the first movie and that was good enough for that story. But when the time came to actually make that setting breathe, it fell flat on its face for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, I wish a guy with two first names had talked about the Matrix series in maybe a 53 minute youtube video or something.