Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

hemale in pain posted:

I got a PNW loam and it works great so far and the lever comes in pretty colours.

That's the one I want but if a oneup comes in stock first then the decision might be made for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

After buying my bike with a worn out ks dropper having the one up on has been so good. Also the extra few inches of clearance has been awesome on the rowdy stuff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rode a pretty sweet car shuttle in Santa Fe today. Feels like major cheating not having to climb 3000' first. Bikes are cool.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I recently got a PNW that broke shortly after I installed it (the nylon cable broke) but they fixed it for me pretty quickly under warranty and now it works great. So if they’re in stock get one of those maybe? And the loam lever came in a color that matches my paint.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had my first north shore ride of the season, shuttled Seymour twice, hit CBC, Pingu Pangor, Boogeyman, and I dunno what else. Lots of fun and good warmup for Whistler this year.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Had my first north shore ride of the season, shuttled Seymour twice, hit CBC, Pingu Pangor, Boogeyman, and I dunno what else. Lots of fun and good warmup for Whistler this year.

How is CBC? I've never ridden it and it seems like it's not really being maintained anymore. Though I saw some reports that someone was working on it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

How is CBC? I've never ridden it and it seems like it's not really being maintained anymore. Though I saw some reports that someone was working on it.

Ah poo poo I just pulled up trailforks, I got confused, we rode *corkscrew* onto pingu, not cbc. We tried to ride CBC but there was signage saying it was closed so we didn't ride it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is bad. Little trail park was too muddy so I hit the skate park next door on the big FS bike. It wasn't super busy for once and pretty fun and now I want a dirt jumper.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Did my first Enduro yesterday, had a load of fun and I didn't come last so that's a win for me!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The buddy that introduced me to MTB told me "Man, I'm dying. You got good and you got fast!"

Well, it's a loving lie, I got reckless but I still went all :kimchi:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Here's a joke: I'm trying to get a new bike in the year 2021.

How much patience should I give a bike builder for being non-communicative? I am trying to get a Vassago Verhauen built up. I initially had a great experience getting things started with the owner, Tom. He was super quick to reply and was easy to deal with. Then things started going south.

On April 23, he said:

Tom at Vassago posted:

Yes, you would be squarely on an XL!!! We would have to make a frame for you which is not an issue, takes 3-4 weeks, and a 20 is a large. Get the XL, you will not regret it

On April 26, he said:

Tom at Vassago posted:

Thanks so much for the clarification! For payment, I do not take payment until a few days before the bike ships out… so all good there. I need to go through and complete the build and see what parts I can get a hold of around the sametime as the frame, and I am just going to order them right away… it is going to take me couple of days to get it all put together, and I will have the exact cost once I confirm availability of the items on the list. I will make sure it is at or under your budget.

I replied, thanking him and letting him know the tires I would prefer to have.

On April 27, he said:

Tom at Vassago posted:

Thanks!!! Looks great, I have the frame in the queue and will get the build figured out all the way in the next few days!

And then that was it. On May 3rd, I emailed him to let him know my preferred gear combination and he didn't reply. Then, on May 24th I wrote back, asking if he had any updates and I haven't heard back. I haven't written again since I know he's probably busy and I want to maintain a good relationship with the guy, but I'd like to know what's going on. We're on week 7 after he said it should take 3-4 weeks for the frame to be built.

At what point do I say gently caress it and try to get another bike?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Can you call them directly? I would do that first.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Their contact page doesn't list a phone number on purpose.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
You want to maintain a good relationship with the guy, but if he isnt replying to emails for weeks, then maybe hes not interested in maintaining a good relationship with you

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Did my first Enduro yesterday, had a load of fun and I didn't come last so that's a win for me!

:respek:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I couldn't even finish the climbs in the Enduro I tried several years ago so good for you!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Has anyone else gotten an EDC tool recently? I ordered one and it just arrived, and uhh, it's supposed to come with an 8mm hex wrench, this is backed up by the fact that it appears you're supposed to use one to remove the inflator head to use it as a CO2 inflator. And yet, for the life of me, I cannot see anywhere that an 8mm hex wrench exists on this thing. Which is quite frankly befuddling, because that seems like it should be one of the easiest tools to identify.

So someone please show / tell me how I'm an idiot and it's right there in front of me.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
The secret to the 8mm hex is to lock the flathead next to the 5mm and cram them in the relevant hole.

At least that is what a mystical guru said from a top Whistler balanced precariously on a lift.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PabloBOOM posted:

The secret to the 8mm hex is to lock the flathead next to the 5mm and cram them in the relevant hole.

That seems crazy but looking at the render of it and the "innovative 8mm hex design" it appears to be spot on.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

And indeed, it did the trick. Weird. Thanks!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

me your dad posted:

Here's a joke: I'm trying to get a new bike in the year 2021.

How much patience should I give a bike builder for being non-communicative? I am trying to get a Vassago Verhauen built up. I initially had a great experience getting things started with the owner, Tom. He was super quick to reply and was easy to deal with. Then things started going south.

On April 23, he said:

On April 26, he said:

I replied, thanking him and letting him know the tires I would prefer to have.

On April 27, he said:

And then that was it. On May 3rd, I emailed him to let him know my preferred gear combination and he didn't reply. Then, on May 24th I wrote back, asking if he had any updates and I haven't heard back. I haven't written again since I know he's probably busy and I want to maintain a good relationship with the guy, but I'd like to know what's going on. We're on week 7 after he said it should take 3-4 weeks for the frame to be built.

At what point do I say gently caress it and try to get another bike?

If no one is responding to you then you can assume they aren't working on your bike. Don't feel like you owe them something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I'd just email them to know you're looking at other options due to the lack of communication and thank them for their time.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

The lack of bike inventory makes you do stupid things... I just ordered a Yeti SB130 CLR from JensonUSA that's supposed to come on 6/30. I've never ridden a Yeti so this might have been a terrible idea, but it sounds great on paper.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Yeti SB130 is a pleasure to ride my friend. It makes climbing a pleasure.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

i flunked out posted:

Yeti SB130 is a pleasure to ride my friend. It makes climbing a pleasure.

That's one of the main things I was looking for. The Pivot Switchblade was the only other option that was high on my list, but the only config I could find available within the next 3-6 months was $9.5k and just seemed like too much bike for a weekend warrior.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I'd just email them to know you're looking at other options due to the lack of communication and thank them for their time.

I'm on the verge of doing just that, but the lack of availability of other bikes is putting me in a tough spot. I emailed him again today and I'll see if he replies. In the meantime I'll keep looking online and I'll talk to a few local shops.

On the bright side, my current bike works just fine and I love it so there's no real urgency, other than eagerness on my own part.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

I'm on the verge of doing just that, but the lack of availability of other bikes is putting me in a tough spot. I emailed him again today and I'll see if he replies. In the meantime I'll keep looking online and I'll talk to a few local shops.

On the bright side, my current bike works just fine and I love it so there's no real urgency, other than eagerness on my own part.

Yeah I guess from my perspective I can understand difficulty getting parts, long lead times for service from shops, etc, but I can't excuse poor customer service and I wouldn't have patience for it. Of course I'm the guy that owns a YT so maybe I'm talking out my rear end.

I've been up riding whistler the past couple days and today it got quite wet, and I somehow lost a pedal or something on this landing:

https://i.imgur.com/sU3UtON.gifv

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looked more graceful than my forced bike exits.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Today I rode in Crested Butte

It was good. We earned our turns for a park lap today and shuttled Doctor Park yesterday. Not too crazy in general, but really great riding both days.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
So I'm looking for a two bike rack for my station wagon; I have roof racks for kayaks now. Would it be better to get a compatible set of racks for the roof or a trunk rack like the Saris bones or similar? Mainly considering I'm intending to replace the car later this year and get a hitch rack at the time, so I don't want to spend tooooo much now, but not sure how annoying bikes on a roof rack are?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get a hitch rack. You're gonna get one at some point anyway and if you get it now you can go kayaking and mountain biking on the same day.

I just got back from a day that was half on the mountain bike half in a canoe fishing and it owned bones.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Nur_Neerg posted:

So I'm looking for a two bike rack for my station wagon; I have roof racks for kayaks now. Would it be better to get a compatible set of racks for the roof or a trunk rack like the Saris bones or similar? Mainly considering I'm intending to replace the car later this year and get a hitch rack at the time, so I don't want to spend tooooo much now, but not sure how annoying bikes on a roof rack are?
I assume your current car doesn't have a hitch and you don't want to pay to install one right before getting rid of it. If so, something like this is a good $50 stopgap. I regularly load the three bike version up with ~70lbs of bike on a sedan trunk or a crossover hatch and it works fine even at highway speeds. One 6' bungie through the rack and all the wheels keeps everything snug. These types of racks will damage your paint if you leave them on long term, but short term you're fine as long as you keep the contact areas clean. Check the manufacturer's site to ensure it will function with your vehicle - needs good sheet metal contact for all the hooks.

https://allen.bike/products/deluxe-trunk-rack?variant=19336515780667
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TRTSGBA/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've seen a strap rack fail completely once (killed two bikes) and partially a second time (damaged a frame) and that's enough for me to never trust a frame that's not bolted to the roof/hitch.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Okay gently caress it I bought a hitch. Thanks!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Get a 1up rack. I got the standard one for my Camry with 1 add-on for my wife's bike on the odd occasion she goes with me or we take the bikes on vacation. It owns!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Bottom Liner posted:

I've seen a strap rack fail completely once (killed two bikes) and partially a second time (damaged a frame) and that's enough for me to never trust a frame that's not bolted to the roof/hitch.

A long time ago I saw someone show up for a ride and let out a primal scream when he got out of the car. One of the arms had worked loose or snapped or something, the bikes were now lying directly against the car on one side and half the paint was missing from his trunk. No idea if the bikes were messed up but if they were fine I assume it was due to dumb luck.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My mountain bike-totin' truck has a bad wheel bearing and a hosed tie rod. I figure I might as well deal with the fuel leak too.

At least the truck is a cheap-poo poo manual 2door no-frills 15 year old workhorse and will outlast me if I do this and take care of it. More thinkin' about bikes, less thinkin' about new truck payments.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Where you been riding, CF?

I'm with you on the "more time in the saddle is better" thing. I still have my dork disc on my bike because it would cut into riding time to take it off :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Get a 1up rack. I got the standard one for my Camry with 1 add-on for my wife's bike on the odd occasion she goes with me or we take the bikes on vacation. It owns!

Agreed. I bought a cheaper rack first then eventually replaced with a 1up. Buy once, cry once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Nocheez posted:

Where you been riding, CF?

I'm with you on the "more time in the saddle is better" thing. I still have my dork disc on my bike because it would cut into riding time to take it off :v:

It's a used truck I bought from a lot last year. An 06 Colorado. gently caress knows how much use it got, the meter said it had 78k miles. There was bound to be an issue or 3. I don't take it off road if I can avoid it, it's a rear wheel 4 banger