Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not a fighter pilot but I do know if you lock on a friendly plane your plane will tell you that you are loving up big-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

lol no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLKK6ZlCHc
:yeah:

honestly do not understand the mindset that can look at all of this and think "nah y'all are being dumb i'm pretty sure i'm the expert here"

probably libs tbh

:hai:

apparently he had an alien phobia as a child, so maybe it really is just him desperately not wanting it to be true lol

anyways here's another video that helps to debunk west's poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwjTImVBl8

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

"the incidents may actually have a mundane explanation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvK6KsLkPUs

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah its the bending space part that (in some versions of the idea) allow for causality-violation free ftl

keep in mind space distorting faster than light is standard physics at the moment; inflation was and iirc remains significantly faster than c (although there was last i checked an inconsistency between some of the main methods used to measure the size of the universe)

No I think you misunderstand. It overcomes the infinite energy necessary to accelerate mass to light speed, it does not in any way deal with the fact that a ship that ends up somewhere faster than light can create all sorts of causality breaking paradoxes

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BeefThief posted:

I'm not a fighter pilot but I do know if you lock on a friendly plane your plane will tell you that you are loving up big-time.

yeah that's one of the reasons why he's full of poo poo

he apparently has an incomplete/outdated idea of how radars and military pilots operate, and tries to claim that objects were spotted by lone pilots, and lone radars (that he thinks are a screen with dots that you look down at, ignoring that modern ones operate via fancy HUDS that allow you to look at objects by eye at the same time that your radar targets them, and that they let you know when you target friendly vehicles), simply malfunctioned/made a whoopsie doodle, and completely ignores that the objects were simultaneously spotted by multiple pilots, by eye, and multiple radars on various planes/ships, as well as civilian radar in at least one case (i think that was the tic tac incident)

Rah! has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jun 6, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Rah! posted:

yeah that's one of the reasons why he's full of poo poo

he apparently has an incomplete/outdated idea of how radars and military pilots operate, and tries to claim that objects were spotted by lone pilots, and lone radars, that simply malfunctioned/who made a whoopsie doodle,and completely ignores that the objects were simultaneously spotted by multiple pilots, by eye, and multiple radars on various planes/ships, as well as civilian radar in at least one case (i think that was the tic tac incident)

If you didn't listen to that NWS Radar Station/Police phone call it's worth a go, I dunno what page it's on but it's pretty wild.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Zisky posted:

If you didn't listen to that NWS Radar Station/Police phone call it's worth a go, I dunno what page it's on but it's pretty wild.

you probably mean this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYawV4ui53A

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rah! posted:

:hai:

apparently he had an alien phobia as a child, so maybe it really is just him desperately not wanting it to be true lol

anyways here's another video that helps to debunk west's poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwjTImVBl8

Yeah this is the video I couldn't find after two seconds of looking, I felt like I was qualified to pilot a fighter jet after I watched a couple of them

What in the world

Ok that might be enough for tonight

vv here to say it's actually terrifying, so yes I guess vv

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Jun 6, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

:yeah:

I bet it's even better stoned.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

thunderfoot is apparently debunking ufo vids so knowing that, im just going to assume that the craft absolutely 100% are aliens and the alien pilots have very progressive views on gender and sex

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

thunderfoot is apparently debunking ufo vids so knowing that, im just going to assume that the craft absolutely 100% are aliens and the alien pilots have very progressive views on gender and sex

lol yeah that dude sucks too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

seeet I just got a new sampler now I can make 911 call ufo beats with these YouTube’s

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah, the vehement attempts to just shut any and all discussion down come off to me like fear.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Rah! posted:

lol yeah that dude sucks too

Why? I like his Musk debunk stuff, though I admit the gaspy pause after every statement for pompous effect is grating.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

:trumppop:

wow must be birds and mass hysteria

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UnknownTarget posted:

Why? I like his Musk debunk stuff, though I admit the gaspy pause after every statement for pompous effect is grating.

ive only seen his UFO debunker videos, if he hates elon thats cool lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

UnknownTarget posted:

https://youtu.be/4dn6ZVpJLxs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

one of the reasons the possibility of aliens is exciting, is that they could maybe help us out.

maybe they'll just ignore us, or melt our brains and eat our eyes instead, but really...what could aliens do thats any worse than what we already to to ourselves and our own planet? We are a bunch of dumb assholes

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

posadas was right

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rah! posted:

but really...what could aliens do thats any worse than what we already to to ourselves and our own planet? We are a bunch of dumb assholes

I mean...

Hm.

https://youtu.be/VjQ2t_yNHQs

One of the amazing things about life, the universe and everything is that no matter how bad things get... they absolutely can always get unfathomably worse

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Hodgepodge posted:

there is no missing link between general relativity and newtonian physics... they are just incompatible and we have no framework for reconciling them.

lol ok

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

So, the angels of Daniel and Ezekiel then.

Gotta say, how else would illiterate, uneducated shepherds describe these things?

The thing that really gets me is that we often don't give ancient people enough credit for understanding the world around them, and especially the sky. They might not have had our understanding of stars, galaxies, comets, etc. but people have been looking up into and documenting the sky for as long as there have been people, and they sure as poo poo knew if what they were seeing was normal or not.

Look at the Basel and Nuremberg phenomena from back in the 16th century, for example. You don't have to think it was aliens, but you do have to acknowledge that whatever happened was deeply bizarre, and that religious interpretation and intent of the objects aside, that they likely did a decent job reporting what they saw because they might not have known what it was, but they sure knew it wasn't something anyone had ever seen.

And it's the same poo poo with people today. Plenty of people report mundane things as UFOs, but we know that because it's pretty easy to ferret out when someone saw a satellite or a conventional aircraft, but the idea that someone can say something like "I saw a large, triangular craft with blinking lights that blocked out a significant portion of the sky hovering silently over my house for 20 minutes, after which it moved off over the horizon at high speed" and have debunkers go "they don't know what they saw, it must have been a flock of birds" is some peak lib "dumb hicks don't know the sky" poo poo.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

The Protagonist posted:

No I think you misunderstand. It overcomes the infinite energy necessary to accelerate mass to light speed, it does not in any way deal with the fact that a ship that ends up somewhere faster than light can create all sorts of causality breaking paradoxes

I can't claim to have any real knowledge of this stuff. The available material for a layman might be inadequate, for example the Wikipedia article on the Alcubierre Drive claims that "[b]ecause objects within the bubble are not moving (locally) more quickly than light, the mathematical formulation of the Alcubierre metric is consistent with the conventional claims of the laws of relativity (namely, that an object with mass cannot attain or exceed the speed of light) and conventional relativistic effects such as time dilation would not apply as they would with conventional motion at near-light speeds."

The discussion of possible causality violations seems rather inadequate; there is one discussion of one physicist's claim that the drive would require the exotic matter to be tachyonic and then more explicitly some discussion of the possibility that Alcubierre's math allows for closed timelike curves (but doesn't require them).

e: I've also seen the effects of the warp bubble outright compared to that of a wormhole in terms of casuality; however this could have been poo poo science journalism

e2: physics nerds say you are incorrect; basically once you're curving spacetime the math that would imply a causality violation does not apply:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/430661/how-can-the-alcubierre-drive-itself-move-faster-than-light

quote:

But this doesn't really answer the question of why the drive is able to "move" faster than light. The "faster than light motion" can be defined rigorously in a very simple sense - since the spacetime as described in the papers is exactly flat except for a certain region, it is possible to "globally" compare it against an identical copy (with all relevant "landmarks" included in both) with the distorted region flattened out, and you can show that there exists a path within the warp-drive space that, if followed, will take you from one locale of the flat spacetime to another in both a proper and a coordinate time smaller than that required for light to travel the distance in the corresponding flat spacetime.

(this is the most intuitive tldr i could find)

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Jun 6, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

*The space pod opens to reveal Anita Sarkeesian*

He’s just a grumpy bitch who has found an audience by being contrarian 100% of the time. He made a dumb video right after phosphene was detected on Venus saying that it wasn’t phosphene, and he was clearly just gambling on the likelihood of future study refining the exact amount down to lower levels without providing any argument for why he was right. If that ends up happening, which would be the most likely scenario, he gets to claim credit without having done any work. If he’s wrong, nobody will remember his video and he’s unharmed by it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
of course, this could in some sense all be an artifact of our inability to reconcile GR and quantum physics; ie, this is something of an edge case and so it could represent a consequence of a fundamental error in relativity

otoh, we might well be able to, and i hope people will pardon the expression, make the speed limit of nature our bitch by bending the fabric of spacetime itself

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Never seen Aliens, tonight seems like as good a night as any.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zisky posted:

enjoy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Zisky posted:

okay here's my breakdown:

you gotta watcha Alien and Aliens

the sequels are... divisive, and i haven't seen them. one was written by josh whedon but it had a really good director? there is an assemby cut of alien3 that is well regarded.

avp is it's own thing, be prepared to like them as slock or to enjoy reading why smg liked them. be warned that most versions of avp 2 have horrible contrast settings (iirc) that you may need to fix to actually see the film.

prometheus and covenant are divisive; ignore this and enjoy them

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm watching Signs, felt like doing a scary alien movie. never seen it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
thinking about it, that one dude who claimed all intelligent life basically concluded that there is a creator intelligence would kind of make sense in a universe where intelligence was gifted the ability to defy the limits of nature like that

of course in a rational sense it makes no difference, i'm just saying being intelligent life gets a lot more awesome if that is possible and that makes the universe seem a lot kinder

Zisky
May 6, 2003

:3:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that reddit guy sure made a lucky guess

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Azathoth posted:

The thing that really gets me is that we often don't give ancient people enough credit for understanding the world around them, and especially the sky. They might not have had our understanding of stars, galaxies, comets, etc. but people have been looking up into and documenting the sky for as long as there have been people, and they sure as poo poo knew if what they were seeing was normal or not.

Look at the Basel and Nuremberg phenomena from back in the 16th century, for example. You don't have to think it was aliens, but you do have to acknowledge that whatever happened was deeply bizarre, and that religious interpretation and intent of the objects aside, that they likely did a decent job reporting what they saw because they might not have known what it was, but they sure knew it wasn't something anyone had ever seen.

And it's the same poo poo with people today. Plenty of people report mundane things as UFOs, but we know that because it's pretty easy to ferret out when someone saw a satellite or a conventional aircraft, but the idea that someone can say something like "I saw a large, triangular craft with blinking lights that blocked out a significant portion of the sky hovering silently over my house for 20 minutes, after which it moved off over the horizon at high speed" and have debunkers go "they don't know what they saw, it must have been a flock of birds" is some peak lib "dumb hicks don't know the sky" poo poo.

yeah this is the thing

i've never understood, even when i was younger, why a certain group of people always claim, without fail, that some average person with nothing to gain would decide to cut from whole cloth a complete witness description of a UFO sighting in order to gain some sort of nonexistent "notoriety"

like how is your default position that anyone you meet is a lying grifter? how do you manage to interact with the world?

e: counterpoint, trolp

pancake rabbit has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Jun 6, 2021

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

coelomate posted:

Just a reminder that there are some completely boring plausible explanations for this stuff, too.

https://twitter.com/MickWest/status/1400869663630786561

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1398667579158376458

lol look I live in San Diego and its well known they the Union Tribune is utter loving trash, don't cite them for anything resembling authority lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Wheeee posted:

that reddit guy sure made a lucky guess

i summarized his story to my mom and she thinks he's a plant :tinfoil:

i am very glad that my mother accepts my attempts to keep her extremely c-spam tendencies from getting too out of control on health related stuff. on poo poo like ufos she's 100% fine with them projecting from astral space, ultimately being messengers from our own collective psyche. so basically i just let the topic be fun.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pancake rabbit posted:

yeah this is the thing

i've never understood, even when i was younger, why a certain group of people always claim, without fail, that some average person with nothing to gain would decide to cut from whole cloth a complete witness description of a UFO sighting in order to gain some sort of nonexistent "notoriety"

like how is your default position that anyone you meet is a lying grifter? how do you manage to interact with the world?

the flipside here is that UFO mythology was quite widespread in mid 20th century America, such that the "average person" was absolutely aware of flying saucers and little green men because yeah they got the newspaper and read books too

which means something like the Kelly-Hopkinsville encounter takes on a very interesting light, it'd be stupid to suggest that these people were just making poo poo up, they clearly saw and experienced something very scary and strange and interpreted that as best they could knowing what they did. seven years after Roswell is way long enough for people in Kentucky to know what it is they saw.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i know it's not aliens, but also i am hype for aliens

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Wheeee posted:

i know it's not aliens, but also i am hype for aliens

this dude belongs here

the pyramids were still egyptians (etc) and ancient people were capable of doing amazing things without alien intervention though

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i cant believe aliens never responded to our unsolicited dick pics + blaring the radio as loud as we can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

blatman posted:

i cant believe aliens never responded to our unsolicited dick pics + blaring the radio as loud as we can

whos to be sure they havent. i mean has anyone really considered the origins of the Fleshlight?