Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

TSL earth maps all have this weird thing where they feel simultaneously too big and too small at the same time. Like, individual regions never feel large enough (India, Australia, etc) but the map is still huge. Feels like maybe a limit of the grid + city system? I guess what I really want is a combination of a Paradox style “region” system with civs board game + exploration feeling ...

Also also, what’s the difficulty bump like between Immortal and Deity? I’ve been winning comfortably + regularly on Immortal and was thinking of jumping up to Deity; I’m guessing that, at the least, the number of viable strategies decreases and the early game AI-warrior-rush is that much more obnoxious?

Honestly, I've found there is an increased chance that in the early game you will just get wiped out by the AI being a little to close before like turn 10, and then rushing in and murdering you......but it isn't that much higher than in immortal and as long as you follow the same strats as you did in Immortal you should be surpassing the AI in your chosen win con by turn 150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Beyond the better yield bonuses and I think another +1 combat strength against you, the biggest difference in Deity compared to Immortal is the AI starts with three cities instead of two cities. With that said, the AI is still braindead in how they develop their cities so it's not as much of a starting advantage as it is in previous games.

They absolutely can and will try to kill you as soon as they can if you're too close of course, and there's a higher chance of that happening with three cities instead of two.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Also also, what’s the difficulty bump like between Immortal and Deity? I’ve been winning comfortably + regularly on Immortal and was thinking of jumping up to Deity; I’m guessing that, at the least, the number of viable strategies decreases and the early game AI-warrior-rush is that much more obnoxious?

I alternate between Immortal and Deity and the biggest differences on Deity I see are:
  • Harder to get an early religion and certain wonders
  • Greater chance of being wiped out early by an aggressive neighbor pulling up with warriors/etc before you have archers or walls
  • Takes longer to overcome the AI bonuses to pull ahead in science/culture

So the early and middle game is more tense, but once you do pull ahead it's the same snowball to victory

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TSL Earth isn't nearly dense enough with the default number of AIs. I find you need to triple it to actually make it feel like a world, or you can just settle massive amounts of empty space.

However, I haven't enjoyed Civ VI lately because it feels like I don't get to make meaningful decisions. The right choice is always blindingly obvious. Anyone have a tip to make it fun again?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

take boat posted:

I alternate between Immortal and Deity and the biggest differences on Deity I see are:
  • Harder to get an early religion and certain wonders
  • Greater chance of being wiped out early by an aggressive neighbor pulling up with warriors/etc before you have archers or walls
  • Takes longer to overcome the AI bonuses to pull ahead in science/culture

So the early and middle game is more tense, but once you do pull ahead it's the same snowball to victory

Wow no kidding re the early religion and wonders. I’m playing as Portugal so it’s not a huge deal, but on Immortal I usually get the first or second religion and then one of the ancient wonders (usually hanging gardens). I didn’t get poo poo on deity 🙃. I think I might turn off secret societies for my next run though; Owls of Minerva feels incredibly op vs the computer.

Also, I think tech shuffle mode might be the best innovation in civ history; I’ve had it on since it was launched and I’ve never even thought of turning it off.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I picked this up from the humble choice and I'm reading about vampires and heroes and stuff, which I don't appear to have.

It says I need the Ethiopia DLC + the Civ vi expansion bundle to play as secret societies. But there doesn't appear to be any DLC called, "Civ VI Expansion bundle".

I currently have the following DLCs:
Gathering Storm
Rise and Fall
Vikings
Khmer and Indonesia
Nubia
Persia and Macedon
Australia
Poland

What else should I get?

Also, civ vi seems quite different from V. I picked bog standard rome and started a game on chieftan because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I managed to get some city states as suzerains (that's a new word for me) and tech'd up incredibly quick because I built a town near a volcano that has "only" erupted once.

I suspect my tech'ing up so quickly is because of difficulty. It happened so fast that I basically skipped the period where I had Legions. Oh well.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

For the vampires etc game modes you need the new frontier pass. That has all of them plus new civs. Or you can get the individual packs that make it up, there was like 6 of them.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 5, 2021

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ignore the frontier pass until you’re bored with the standard gameplay IMO, you have so much to be going on with the platinum edition as is.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I just want to make sure I understand this. It looks like the Ethiopia DLC brings the secret societies. Is that wrong? The frontier pass seems like it has a bunch of stuff I already have. So much DLC.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Vasler posted:

I just want to make sure I understand this. It looks like the Ethiopia DLC brings the secret societies. Is that wrong? The frontier pass seems like it has a bunch of stuff I already have. So much DLC.

Yes. edit: also Ethiopia is pretty rad itself.

I had similar problems with the sheer amount of carved up dlc.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Vasler posted:

the frontier pass was basically all the DLC over the past year and a bit. Some of the updates may have been split between free updates and DLC included in the pass, but of course anybody who has the pass wouldn't be able to tell the difference because it all came out at the same time. I believe that most of the modes were free updates, and the actual purchasable DLC is some of the new modes and all of the new civs/personas, but I could be wrong.

None of your listed DLC is in the frontier pass. I would recommend once you've had a significant bite of the base game, if you're going to expand to different modes buy the frontier pass when it's on sale instead of buying all of them piecemeal.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Vasler posted:

The replies you are getting are kinda confusing, but if you want Secret Societies then just buy Ethopia. Secret Societies is in that one.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

secret societies (which has vampires) are in the ethiopia pack, heroes and legends are in the babylon pack. each of the packs has a different mode, you can get them piecemeal or just get the whole bundle.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. This has helped me quite a bit! Maybe I'll wait for a sale and buy the frontier pack like you've recommended.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. This has helped me quite a bit! Maybe I'll wait for a sale and buy the frontier pack like you've recommended.

Just re-reread my reply, oh yeah that is nonsense. I wanted the secret societies mode myself, bought Ehtiopia and sort of regret not just doing the frontier pack for simplicity's sake.

Since I jumped back in two whole expansions late I also just decided to say 'fucket' and turn everything on, except random tech tree and barbarian tribes, to force myself to learn the new mechanics. On prince difficulty, Ethiopia, Epic speed and TSL Huge Earth map was a fun way of getting back into it since even the random seed gods looked favorably on me. It's easy to figure out all the extra poo poo when you are enormously overpowered by turn 100 or so.

(The AI is terrible at managing loyalty in close quarters btw - it is hilarious though - I'll probably chuck true start location from here on if playing the true earth map.)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Yeah the Dramatic Ages mode is fun, but it ramps the effective difficulty down since the AI is so bad at managing loyalty in dark ages. I've had games in a continents map where the other continent was just a seething mass of free cities by the time I discovered it.

Most of the modes make victory easier for the player IMO, especially corps, heroes, and societies. The only one that makes the game substantially harder is zombies.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
This era score mechanic is a bit tough to manage. I'm heading into a dark age (Renaissance). How concerned should I be?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vasler posted:

This era score mechanic is a bit tough to manage. I'm heading into a dark age (Renaissance). How concerned should I be?

Not greatly. It usually better to be dark than normal, as then you can get an heroic age the era after. And the dark age policy cards can be useful. The only problem might be loyalty in some your cities, but that's generally easy to manage.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Make sure you have governors in any city that looks liable to flip, and if you think you might lose a city then try to have a siege unit (or two) handy so you can retake it easier. Free cities seem to spawn walls upon breaking away.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

To reiterate whats already been said, dark ages can actually be better than normal ages since you get access to the very powerful dark age policies. The only concern you should have is loyalty, which governors and policies should be able to manage. If you're in a dark age you should gun REALLY hard for a golden age as you'll get to pick three bonuses instead of the normal one. Dark age -> golden age (known as a heroic age in this instance) is a common catapult into a solid snowball and eventual victory.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
What's a good strategy for getting era points? I somehow managed two golden ages in a row but then got into this dark age situation by basically turtling and not expanding. I guess I probably answered my own question, didn't I?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What policies do you really like from Dark Ages?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Goodpancakes posted:

I mean Monasticism is just bonkers in a city with a good campus. Collectivism, Flower Power, Cyber Warfare come all so late I either never have dark ages or even reach that age to get them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Isolationism is a bit situational but when it lines up well with the end of the settlement phase can be really, really good.

Robber Barons is also really strong although I don't often hit dark ages as there are a ton of golden era point opportunities and I'm generally in a good position to capitalize.

Vasler posted:

What's a good strategy for getting era points? I somehow managed two golden ages in a row but then got into this dark age situation by basically turtling and not expanding. I guess I probably answered my own question, didn't I?

Early on, you get a ton of points for the first district of each type that hits really juicy adjacency bonuses on construction. The first time you build a unit using each strategic resource and the first naval unit are also good for a couple extra points. Also getting first suzerain on city states.

Midgame, settling new continents and making first contact with the whole world/circumnavigating the globe are big bonuses.

Lategame, wonder/great person spam will rack up a ton of points.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I really like that they made the age mechanics not purely good or bad for you - dark ages can give you a big boost if played right and golden ages can hurt you. Wish it was a little easier to keep track of what gives you score and how much though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vasler posted:

There are some actions where there's often less of a "hurry" to do them, and if you're already headed for a golden age, you might decide to wait until the next age to pull the trigger, to ensure you get better use from the era score. Things I've found myself postponing (in no particular order):

* first time connecting two cities by rail
* first canal
* appointing all the governors
* governor with all promotions
* first natural park
* levying a city state
* recalling a hero
* creating your unique unit/building/improvement/district (I postpone these less often, obv)
* first shipwreck excavated
* first seaside resort
* first solar thing/windmill
* first rock band

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

The combat bonus one (twilight warriors? or something) and isolationism are both pretty strong, in my opinion. You do have to time them carefully, but if you're doing due diligence with switching policies every time you research a civic and line things up you can use both without incurring any real penalty.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The era score mechanic is pretty janky and weird. If, within the last few turns before the next age change, you get some +x extra era score:
  • if +x didn't change what kind of era you're getting, that's kinda bad, because you could've maybe gotten that era score in the next age, and there's no carry-over because it just increases the thresholds for next age by x.
  • if +x changed you from dark to normal, that's quite bad, because dark ages have no downsides compared to normal besides a small loyalty malus (but loyalty is absurdly easy to keep up most of the time) and have two major upsides (dark age policies and the possibility of heroic ageing).
  • if +x changed you from normal to golden, that's good, because you get a big bonus
So a lot of the time you kinda don't want to get era score. Which is pretty dumb! You either want exactly enough to golden age, or you want none at all to dark age. Of course, most sources of era score are kinda unavoidable anyway, making all of this kind of moot anyway. It really feels like a half-baked mechanic.

Dramatic Ages mode sort of fixes this, in that it gives a pretty hefty penalty to dark ageing (your lowest-loyalty city rebels automatically), but it's also extremely gameable and I pretty much always get golden ages 100% of the time. It's a pretty obvious and not very successful attempt to put a band-aid over the era score mechanic.

As far as general advice for era score: Most of the era score you'll get will come naturally from doing good things that you want to do anyway, like building not-lovely districts, growing your cities, etc. So most of the time you can just ignore era score, it will flow in naturally from just doin' things that don't suck. Then, each age, a few turns before changeover, try to figure out if you can/will golden age, based on what you've got and what you're building at that moment. If you need a few extra points, there are a few things you can do to rush it along, like build a civ-specific unit, spend a strategic resource for the first time, buy great people, form first corps/army/armada/fleet, recruit/recall hero in Heroes mode, etc.

The only other bonus that I bother paying attention to is doing the first/not first circumnavigation for 5/3 points, which I sometimes try to hold off on doing if I don't need the points yet (do keep in mind that it counts if you have a revealed tile somewhere on every column of hexes, even if your east exploration and west exploration paths don't touch).

Also, if it's Dramatic Ages and you're going to dark age, pull your garrison out of your smallest city and start marching troops to near its border so that you can retake it quickly.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

also important to remember that every national park gives you era score not just the first. so you can use this to get later game goldens. (as well a poo poo load of amenities).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
If you can build the Taj Mahal - and you often can, it's not that competitive - you'll never have a dark age again with the extra points it gives you. This can be game-altering in Dramatic Ages.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, but can someone explain to me why I can't build a golf course with my worker here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Because it's a floodplain?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Floodplains, I think? Check the allowed tiles in the Civolopedia; if it lists "Plains" but not "Plains Floodplains," then that's why.

Despite the fact that floodplains are generally referred to as a "feature" like woods and rainforest, they're actually a completely separate kind of tile as far as game mechanics are concerned.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh the splash screen for Scotland just says I can't build them on Desert or Desert Hills. That's annoying

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I find a ton of that in Civ. Can't build improvements when there isn't any suggestion why I can't. Or it's just generic that doesn't tell me exactly why

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Possible strategic resource location that hasn't been revealed to you yet?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duodecimal posted:

Possible strategic resource location that hasn't been revealed to you yet?

Is that a thing? I swear I've built on top of unrevealed resources before.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Are you playing with secret societies? I think undiscovered ley lines can block things if you haven't choose a society yet.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

resting bort face posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, but can someone explain to me why I can't build a golf course with my worker here?

I recently installed this UI mod and it would probably help in this situation. Place a pin, set its type to golf course, and it will show you placement requirements the tile doesn't meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My "favorite" is the plant woods feature, which does not have a description anywhere in the civpedia, but does have restrictions. The best I could figure was that you just aren't allowed to put forests next to lakes for some reason.