Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've done four fly-n-drive...

1977 320i - CA to WI to TN. Car had seen about 500 miles a year previous to our trip, we drove it 3000 miles through a blizzard and lots of issues.

1988 325is - mountains of West Virginia to southern MN. Got pulled over for no plate and wasted four hours waiting for DMV to open.

1988 M3 - New Jersey to TN was uneventful.

1988 M5 - Maryland to TN also uneventful.

Due to current health BS fly-n-drive would be unwise at the moment so I'll probably ship it. Dad's offered to do the whole drive solo but that seems kind of unwise. Car needs tires before any serious driving anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If the car has the service history/records/etc and a reputable mechanic that handles that kind of car says it's okay, it'll be fine. BUY IT!!!!

(or it'll be a hugely disappointing experience and you'll end up on the streets panhandling for cigs because you lost $10k over the course of two years in which case, BUY IT!!!)

For what it's worth my 34k mile M3 has a spreadsheet of every single thing that's ever been done to it (including the service records obviously), as well as the name of the service advisor/mechanic that handled it as well as the inbound/outbound mileage :smug:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Jymmybob posted:

I did it once to get a W210 E55 on a fly then drive trip and the dealer sold it out from under me even with a deposit because I guess they didn't think I was actually coming. In retrospect it worked out because I was trying to fill a hole left by my previous E55 (but now in the incredible tectite gray) and the B8 S4 I ended up with was way better but I was mad about cars for a solid year.

I test drove a local stage 1 b8 S4 6mt the other day while trying to shake the 911. It wasn’t the right example for me and it was also plain too fast for me. Did you mod yours at all?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I test drove a local stage 1 b8 S4 6mt the other day while trying to shake the 911. It wasn’t the right example for me and it was also plain too fast for me. Did you mod yours at all?

I only added a subframe brace (worth it) since it was plenty fast and I didn't want to risk damaging the DSG. It was the best car I've ever owned and I wish the DSGs weren't so risky because I would still be driving one now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’ve done 3 fly and drives:

2010 VW GTI I found on the Mk6 gti forums with a stage I APR tune. I bought it from a graduating doctor in San Antonio and drove to Wisconsin when I was starting residency. In retrospect, the sketchiest thing I’ve done since I bought a one way ticket to San Antonio and never told anyone who I was meeting. Awesome car and I wish I had held on to it.

2015 Cayman S I picked up from a guy in Buffalo, NY on the way back from a medical conference. Had the car PPId and we ended up going through the guy’s local Mini dealership.

2011 Boxster Spyder I bought from a guy in Toronto. Getting it across the border was slightly nerve racking since it was my first time doing it. The customs guy asked me how I paid for it, I said “cash,” then spent the next 5 minutes convincing him I did not carry tens of thousands of dollars in cash through the airport with me that morning. Got caught in a torrential downpour in upstate NY and found out the top isn’t completely waterproof.

Fly and drives are fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

The customs guy asked me how I paid for it, I said “cash,” then spent the next 5 minutes convincing him I did not carry tens of thousands of dollars in cash through the airport with me that morning. Got caught in a torrential downpour in upstate NY and found out the top isn’t completely waterproof.

So how did you do it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

So how did you do it?

Wire the week before.

Although a briefcase would have been cooler and illegal.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Residency Evil posted:

Wire the week before.

Not illegal, I brought a wad of cash buying my Boxster from LA. Just declare at the airport and show its from a valid source (I had the bank receipt for the foreign currency exchange)

You spend a few minutes extra as they count it in front of you but otherwise painless.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Wire the week before.

Wiring the money for my Lambo two weeks before it randomly showed up on a transporter is the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done, and that was to a dealer. That takes some balls, doing an international wire to a private individual

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

I only added a subframe brace (worth it) since it was plenty fast and I didn't want to risk damaging the DSG. It was the best car I've ever owned and I wish the DSGs weren't so risky because I would still be driving one now.

Why not a 6MT then? Sounds perfect.

Also, uh, if anyone has a blue 996, now might be the time to sell it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-porsche-911-carrera-127/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Why not a 6MT then? Sounds perfect.

Also, uh, if anyone has a blue 996, now might be the time to sell it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-porsche-911-carrera-127/

I don't want a manual DD otherwise I'd consider it.

God, I really want to throw our 996tt on BaT with some insane reserve now. 70k might not be out of the question at this rate.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 5, 2021

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve done 3 fly and drives:

2010 VW GTI I found on the Mk6 gti forums with a stage I APR tune. I bought it from a graduating doctor in San Antonio and drove to Wisconsin when I was starting residency. In retrospect, the sketchiest thing I’ve done since I bought a one way ticket to San Antonio and never told anyone who I was meeting. Awesome car and I wish I had held on to it.

I also did a fly and drive to San Antonio. I picked up my M3 there and drove it back to PA. That experience cemented my opinion to never buy another car from the North.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ThirstyBuck posted:

I also did a fly and drive to San Antonio. I picked up my M3 there and drove it back to PA. That experience cemented my opinion to never buy another car from the North.

For real. I got my ur S4 in North Carolina and my Escalade in South Carolina. Born and raised in the rust belt, and the experience of a rust-free car is transformative.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

Not illegal, I brought a wad of cash buying my Boxster from LA. Just declare at the airport and show its from a valid source (I had the bank receipt for the foreign currency exchange)

You spend a few minutes extra as they count it in front of you but otherwise painless.

Huh, good to know. I always wondered what the correct way to bring cash through was.

got off on a technicality posted:

Wiring the money for my Lambo two weeks before it randomly showed up on a transporter is the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done, and that was to a dealer. That takes some balls, doing an international wire to a private individual

Yeah, in retrospect it was pretty nerve wracking, but I tend to find cars on places like rennlist, where you can see people having completed prior transactions. Getting a PPI also helps you feel more confident in the seller. I definitely felt more comfortable buying my 993 from a dealer, although it was from this place:

https://jalopnik.com/florida-shop-crashes-a-guys-audi-s4-but-wants-his-insur-1830574423

:v:

No issues and they shipped the car last year without a problem. Kind of wish I had done a fly and drive, but it was August, and Florida to PA is a lovely drive.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Hoo boy that made me angry just reading it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, good to know. I always wondered what the correct way to bring cash through was.
When I bought the M3 I brought a cashiers check for the majority of the amount then flew with $5k in my jacket pocket because we hadn't agreed on a final price yet. TSA didn't care or didn't notice it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I should have paid in these for my car. Being Switzerland I suspect the dealer wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you probably wouldn't have been the first guy that month

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought a new project/parts car on Saturday and paid the guy in cash like he asked, all in Benjamins and he complained that he wouldn’t be able to spend them anywhere and how did he know they were real!?! Dude I am not giving you stacks of $20s ok.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Going to take the 996 for a PPI today. If all goes well, I'll return tomorrow to take the car home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good luck

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

I bought a new project/parts car on Saturday and paid the guy in cash like he asked, all in Benjamins and he complained that he wouldn’t be able to spend them anywhere and how did he know they were real!?! Dude I am not giving you stacks of $20s ok.

I feel like most normal people withdraw a bunch of money from their bank for a large cash purchase and if it comes out of one of those little paper envelopes with the bank name on it people are usually at more ease.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 7, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks. It checked out surprisingly well. Only one range 2 over-rev when the engine had 24 hours of run time on in it for like 260 ignitions. The oil leak isn't an immediate concern and is likely an oil pump or seal. It's not the AOS or dripping on the exhaust. Brakes are in great shape as is the brake fluid, must have been done recently (zero moisture). The coolant expansion tank is also relatively new. I was planning on putting new tires on it straight away but the mechanic pointed out the rears have 5k+ left before they hit the wear bars. The airbag light was confirmed to be the driver's seat latch code and it stayed off after he cleared it for the drive back. I think I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' hate that driver's seat latch code. It's the only problem with my car but I'm hoping it can be fixed in the latch instead of the harness.

Congrats on the almost sale though

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Fuckin' hate that driver's seat latch code. It's the only problem with my car but I'm hoping it can be fixed in the latch instead of the harness.

Congrats on the almost sale though

Have you tried spraying the connections under the seat with contact cleaner? I read that may help.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Have you tried spraying the connections under the seat with contact cleaner? I read that may help.

Not yet but I have a can of Deoxit D5 and terminal gel that I ordered specifically for it. I've been getting a couple months after each reset using the durametric so I just never get around to it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I’ve done the thing. I had to drive it home through torrential downpours, making for some white knuckling, but I made it. The airbag light cleared during the PPI has not come back and the mechanic thought the tires have 5-10k more in them so… the car is perfect and needs nothing?

Even my wife approves.

uno mas:

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 9, 2021

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
:toot:

Congrats and it's what you've been hoping for. It looks a lot cleaner in those pictures than earlier too.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thank you. It’s too bad you don’t still live in NEOH…

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hellyeah: congrats!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks good man. Congrats!

Polish up those headlights and the front end will look even better.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Congratulations :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Congrats indeed. I really hope this is the right car for you.

Agreed on the headlights. Been liking this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RQKLV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Used it on the Cayenne and my daughter's Subaru over a year ago and things are still looking good. The key on all of these systems is if the finish coat actually works.......this one seems to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lamin-x over top after helps too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
congrats!!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks all. I have a DA polisher, some rubbing compound, polishes, and plasticX. I also have some acrylic coatings I could use for the headlights. With tools like that, would you still recommend that kit? It’s super cheap so not an big investment. I’ve had middling results using the stuff I already have before on other headlights. So, definitely not opposed to something new. Is there a better option if I already have a polisher?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Go with the cerakote for sure. Purely acrylic finishers will always degrade pretty fast and the OEM hardcoats are basically really fancy nano-ceramics in a polymer binder.

My next plan for headlights is to uninstall and see if I can coat my LS460 headlights on the fancy pants PC hardcoating production line (for headlights no less) I'm setting up but I'll have to apply it manually because changing the robot spraying program is :effort:. I'm also worried that the cure stages might cook the headlight guts but we'll see. I'd try the 996 headlights but they're already ceramic pro treated from when it was wrapped.

big headlight coating opinions itt

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

Thanks all. I have a DA polisher, some rubbing compound, polishes, and plasticX. I also have some acrylic coatings I could use for the headlights. With tools like that, would you still recommend that kit? It’s super cheap so not an big investment. I’ve had middling results using the stuff I already have before on other headlights. So, definitely not opposed to something new. Is there a better option if I already have a polisher?

Congrats on the purchase, looks good now and some polishing will make it really stand out.

I'm also agreeing with the Cerakote. It's the best there is right now, and not worth trying anything else.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Cool thanks guys I’ll get that on order. Should I try to use the da polisher with it at all or is by hand better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Cool thanks guys I’ll get that on order. Should I try to use the da polisher with it at all or is by hand better?

Follow the instructions. It works fine as is.