Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you replaced Curry with an decent offensive point guard like Jokic for example the Warriors would have been a top 4 seed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

how can you think Steph curry was the mvp.

it’s so ridiculous and bizarre . it’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in the nba I think

You mean people saying that this year, right, and not my post about Klay Dray and Steph winning Finals MVPs?

For the record I agree with you that it’s absurd for him to be in the convo this year as a used to be 8th seed, no matter how amazing his season was. But also you saying Klay is more valuable to the Warriors than Steph over the last five years is even more absurd.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

I think you are confused

two season ago he was terrible. the team was terrible. he decided not play anymore that year for whatever reason . noted Bad GM Bob Myers then put the team in tanking mode because with Steph out , they had a good chance of getting a lot better and close to the play offs (which in theory would
be bad for them since their draft pick would be worse. but since Bad GM bob myers is a colossal idiot , it actually didn’t matter what their draft pick was )

one season ago (the year that just ended) Steph has a bad year but despite his offensive struggles the team is not in tank mode (actually puts some effort into defense) and still don’t make the playoffs

so it screws up the direct comparisons, which you made. he might've gotten hot if he kept playing, but he didnt. saying the team had a chance to get better with steph out is hilarious. you're funny.

steph had a great year this year. only reason they made the play in

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

if you replaced Curry with an decent offensive point guard like Jokic for example the Warriors would have been a top 4 seed

i guess it is easy to be decent when you're 7 feet

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

indigi posted:

finals MVP, the most objective hallmark of quality and not at all a narrative award

All awards are narrative awards. check it out though: in order to qualify for Finals MVP you have to at least make it to the Finals. and then you have to be the best or most impactful player on the (winning) team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

You mean people saying that this year, right, and not my post about Klay Dray and Steph winning Finals MVPs?

For the record I agree with you that it’s absurd for him to be in the convo this year as a used to be 8th seed, no matter how amazing his season was. But also you saying Klay is more valuable to the Warriors than Steph over the last five years is even more absurd.

past five years ok. let’s just throw out two seasons ago because they were tanking
so over the past 4 non tanking years the mvps of the warriors have been in order
Durant
((huge gap))
draymond and klay
(another huge gap)
iguodala
curry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

i guess it is easy to be decent when you're 7 feet

tell Wiseman that lamo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

tell Wiseman that lamo

he was just drafted

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

so it screws up the direct comparisons, which you made. he might've gotten hot if he kept playing, but he didnt. saying the team had a chance to get better with steph out is hilarious. you're funny.

steph had a great year this year. only reason they made the play in

the only difference between the two years is they started playing defense which even you admit has nothing to do with Curry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you exchanged dame for Curry , the warriors would have been a top 3 seed

Dame is worlds better on offense

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

the only difference between the two years is they started playing defense which even you admit has nothing to do with Curry

don't remember saying that also the biggest difference was steph offensively

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

If you exchanged dame for Curry , the warriors would have been a top 3 seed

Dame is worlds better on offense

dame is good in the clutch, but no

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

don't remember saying that also the biggest difference was steph offensively

they went from 26th defense to 5th

they only went from 30th offense to 20Th

nothing to do with Steph. the defense helped the offense more than him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1401576631601348610?s=21

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

they went from 26th defense to 5th

they only went from 30th offense to 20Th

nothing to do with Steph. the defense helped the offense more than him

cool rankings, but as i said they dont make it to the play ins without steph getting hot for a month or so. insane heat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

cool rankings, but as i said they dont make it to the play ins without steph getting hot for a month or so. insane heat

that’s nice but it’s not an mvp performance like what we got from Gobert or Christ Paul or Giannis to name three guys off the top of my head

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

that’s nice but it’s not an mvp performance like what we got from Gobert or Christ Paul or Giannis to name three guys off the top of my head

maybe paul is mvp level

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could they get someone younger than 6000 years old to announce the games

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Could they get someone younger than 6000 years old to announce the games

If they didn't personally coach George Milan, I just can't trust their opinion about the NBA. I demand experience!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Go Nuggets

also I hope the Finals is Nuggets vs Sixers just because this thread will be lit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers are 100% not making the finals

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

oibre was also a nice additions

lol you're trolling or a complete dumb dumb. oubre was worthless

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oubre was a pretty good addition

For teams to score on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

took his team to a qualifier

whoa. wow

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

whoa. wow

stick to asking questions about the warriors in sas

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

indigi posted:

whoa. wow

in a regular year gsw would have been eighth but we had the first year of dumb qualifiers

baseball is smarter about mvps now. players like trout regularly win even if their team is in last place because the voters are smart enough to see how much the management failed to put a good team around the best player

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 6, 2021

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Where the prop bets on which body part develops spontaneous cancer in embiid tonight?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Maestro posted:

All awards are narrative awards. check it out though: in order to qualify for Finals MVP you have to at least make it to the Finals. and then you have to be the best or most impactful player on the (winning) team

while I do agree that Iguodala was obviously more important than Steph on those teams idk if you want to take that argument to its logical conclusion

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

in a regular year gsw would have been eighth but we had the first year of dumb qualifiers

it wasn’t though and he didn’t

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

it wasn’t though and he didn’t

cope with steph's greatness

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Judakel posted:

cope with steph's greatness

The Grizzlies sure did a good job of it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he’s probably the best shooter ever and a great solo offensive option who doesn’t do much for team offense or anything for team defense. not all that helpful unless you have other top 5 scorers around him. switch out him and Klay this season and Warriors don’t have to bother with the play in

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I Before E posted:

The Grizzlies sure did a good job of it

39 points

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/stevejones20/status/1401587107030880263

no good can come of this

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

he’s probably the best shooter ever and a great solo offensive option who doesn’t do much for team offense or anything for team defense. not all that helpful unless you have other top 5 scorers around him. switch out him and Klay this season and Warriors don’t have to bother with the play in

scoring champ not that much for offense

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

euphronius posted:

Sixers are 100% not making the finals

just tuned in and they are down by 20.

seems bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

scoring champ not that much for offense

20th of 30

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

20th of 30

24 fewer wins without curry

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

24 fewer wins without Green and Wiggins playing better defense 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

indigi posted:

24 fewer wins without Green and Wiggins playing better defense 🤔

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2021/lineups/

Notice how Green and Wiggins never played together unless Curry was present? They were so offensively inept without him

Virtually all the lineups that actually outscored opponents had Curry in them. The only Curry lineup that poo poo the bed was the one with Oubre because he was terrible all year. Warriors fans practically begged Kerr to play Damion Lee instead of Oubre but he made bad coaching decisions this year and he felt the need to play a guy the team clearly had overpaid for

Wiggins was 1 point above average defense in lineups where he played and 1 point below average offense. There's a reason Minnesota gave him up for scrap