Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's this video of strangely blurred discs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dKRUS4aouo&t=448s

and an older video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCzeD1J2yI&t=141s

Worth keeping in mind that Google certainly uses an algorithm to detect anomalies in photos because they're not trying to get pictures of poo poo in the sky, they want the houses and roads and lands etc. so it'd be super easy to make sure pictures are contiguous by taking multiple shots so you can compare the "what blip shouldn't be here" stuff and chop them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

animist posted:

nah, it's not kinder at all

this whole thread I keep thinking about the teardrop scene in the Three Body Problem, where a little mirrored pellet of quarkium destroys Earth's entire military fleet by flying through it

yeah, a lot of sci-fi is fascist fear mongering

i keep thinking of the Balrog from LotR because its cool af, and has as much to do with reality as the most recent sci-fi high concept wank written by an engineer

at least use banks' term (outside context problem)

e: what really scares me is the scenario from Tenant.... because Nolan did not try to make that films time travel logical and so we'd be looking at a non-rational universe!!!!

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Jun 6, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
i don't want to give tbp poo poo because its no worse than average for scifi but if you're going to worry about scifi the author makes up whole cloth (using assumptions contradicted entirely by the subject matter of the thread) may as well have fun

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/uncertainvector/status/1401345403438645252?s=20

You can't get 2/3rds of americans to agree on goddamned anything
If that's accurate it also certainly makes me think the skeptics are a very squeaky minority

they always have been the loudest sticks in the mud

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
playing synths for ufos

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

i keep thinking of the Balrog from LotR because its cool af, and has as much to do with reality as the most recent sci-fi high concept wank written by an engineer

there's a difference between speculative fiction that attempts to address the potential outcomes of far-flung though reasonable scenarios (dragon's egg), or scenarios extrapolated from modern trends and technologies (black mirror, for all its goofiness), and speculative fiction that's largely allegorical. the balrog, in all of its evil, is clearly an allegorical monster that represents the unending greed of the dwarf lords of moria that caused them to isolate themselves from the rest of the world and ultimately doomed them, something that packs narrative punch in a story with a core theme of the importance of people coming together to confront evil instead of isolating themselves away from the world

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bideo James posted:

playing synths for ufos
Someone beat you to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rjamqqqqYs

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No ring. 8/10.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

no ring

edit: :supaburn:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Vermain posted:

there's a difference between speculative fiction that attempts to address the potential outcomes of far-flung though reasonable scenarios (dragon's egg), or scenarios extrapolated from modern trends and technologies (black mirror, for all its goofiness), and speculative fiction that's largely allegorical. the balrog, in all of its evil, is clearly an allegorical monster that represents the unending greed of the dwarf lords of moria that caused them to isolate themselves from the rest of the world and ultimately doomed them, something that packs narrative punch in a story with a core theme of the importance of people coming together to confront evil instead of isolating themselves away from the world

sure, then consider how big a stretch Cixin makes just in the premise of the series in order to have humanity's future dominated by the looming threat of space fascists and therefore is foolish not to have uncontested and uniform fascist mindset. and realize that this is before he's actually making the concepts up. you are worrying about Q judging Picard and deciding to snap humanity into obvion, but with more game theory

e: like the premise of tbp is a several book buildup to the author's paranoid/fash game theory solution to the femri paradox that would be badly and brutally falsified by any scenario in which UFOs are actually aliens

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Jun 6, 2021

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Hatebag posted:

Maybe all the hypernormalization stuff has been an alien psyop to make people detached from an inscrutable reality so that gleep glorp can step out of his tic tac and say "hi I'm in charge now" without everyone wanting to kill all aliens.

I was thinking last night how loving broken my brain is right now that I would just be like "fine, what's up glorp"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

I was thinking last night how loving broken my brain is right now that I would just be like "fine, what's up glorp"

Everyone shrugging and saying "Well, can't be worse than assholes we have in charge now eh?"

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Upon disclosure there certainly would be tons of people having panic attacks and stuff. Especially people who are used to a western, "rational" sort of viewpoint. But over time I think it would quickly be assimilated into the same mental space as gods, angels, ghosts, etc, if the aliens happened to be inscrutable and unexplainable instead of Meat Creatures we could just casually talk to. An overwhelming number of people believe in all those things and it doesn't necessarily send them into fits of mass chaos

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

like are we going to get Meat Aliens or d̶̨̢͎̦̳͉͍̖̣̠̭̈́̊̆̈̓͌̇̉ę̵̨̠̫̮̰̥͓͖̝̖͆̋͋̌͂̎͘͠ǎ̸̛͕̠͉̘̖̀̂̔̓̊̈̌̚͠r̴̡̨̨͚̪͇̼̬͉̳̋̈́̈̒͒ ̴̭̞̭̭͌͆ͅl̶̨̢͎̻̘̮̬̬̹̺̲͍̩͌̈́̃̓͘ơ̴̯̻̒̃̈́̆̏͒̎̎̍̈̀̒́͝r̵͔͕̼̫͉͕̗͍̤̽́͛̍̏̇̈́̀̅͜͜͠ḑ̴̨̞̝̼̣̫͉͇̜͕̜͈͙̳̅̈ aliens

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So uhh that's cool as gently caress, is this new?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
its distant, apathetic robotic intelligence doing the interstellar equivalent of squatting over an ant hill hth

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Aliens would only be a problem for the state if people could petition them directly as agents who could solve their problems. As long as they're totally inscrutable like the gods of old or the god of the medieval Catholic Church, there's no challenge to state authority just like there was no challenge then. If such aliens could be petitioned directly or otherwise began to intervene directly in the state of the Earth, everything about human civilization would change--but only then.

The reason for the ufo taboo by NATO members and the Soviet Union is that it was a means of control over reports of experimental aircraft. The United States first encouraged belief that ufos were alien spacecraft and then used that putative explanation as a threat to silence anyone who saw flying things they couldn't explain--the point being to prevent people from talking about experimental aircraft.

It's been posted in this thread many times now, but the reason the US military is changing its approach to reporting strange aircraft is that they realized people could be self-censoring about foreign or non-state spy drones and they want to stop that from happening now that self-censorship harms rather than helps their interests.

Did you read the paper? This is specifically addressed. Even the possibility of humans not being top dog is destabilizing to how the state has to generate consent. The state can’t accommodate things that both escape reasoning and leave physical evidence

The whole thing about experimental aircraft is post hoc coping bullshit masquerading as cynicism. And it completely fails to fit the actual phenomena. No Russian or Chinese aircraft is capable of the maneuvers documented in these videos. You are on crack if you think they are 100 years ahead of us in aerospace engineering and have been since 2004. If the government wanted to encourage more reporting of aerial phenomena to catch foreign aircraft they’d present foreign aircraft getting caught, not events inexplicable by science.

And the government, scientific community, the things we think of as “the establishment” never encouraged the public to take the occurrence of UFOs seriously. It’s always been officially suppressed and politically discouraged.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Jun 6, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'd probably notice that

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

this wormhole drawing does explain all of the hillbilly bhole probing. they're just trying to fast travel home!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

And it completely fails to fit the actual phenomena. No Russian or Chinese aircraft is capable of the maneuvers documented in these videos.

which video are you referencing? ive been paying a lot of attention to this and one of my complaints has been that the videos themselves don't look that impressive, its the pilot testimony and radar that really shows off the impossible performance.

EDIT: "transmedium" craft, for instance, was a short clip of it going INTO the water. lots of things can do that once :rolleyes:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

pos my uncontacted hole

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BeefThief posted:

I'm not a fighter pilot but I do know if you lock on a friendly plane your plane will tell you that you are loving up big-time.

my new theory is that the pilot did lock on to a friendly plane but he thought it was a UFO because his plane's computer was being hacked by an entirely different alien spaceship

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Victory Position posted:

I'd probably notice that

im feeling a 'harmonic convergence'- of this + goatse

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

my new theory is that the pilot did lock on to a friendly plane but he thought it was a UFO because his plane's computer was being hacked by an entirely different alien spaceship

That makes no goddamn sense
clearly what happened is that Fravor had his DNA spliced by the craft he was tracking so that he became the alien and the alien became him.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

That makes no goddamn sense
clearly what happened is that Fravor had his DNA spliced by the craft he was tracking so that he became the alien and the alien became him.

last starfighter future confirmed

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Did you read the paper? This is specifically addressed. Even the possibility of humans not being top dog is destabilizing to how the state has to generate consent. The state can’t accommodate things that both escape reasoning and leave physical evidence

The whole thing about experimental aircraft is post hoc coping bullshit masquerading as cynicism. And it completely fails to fit the actual phenomena. No Russian or Chinese aircraft is capable of the maneuvers documented in these videos. You are on crack if you think they are 100 years ahead of us in aerospace engineering and have been since 2004. If the government wanted to encourage more reporting of aerial phenomena to catch foreign aircraft they’d present foreign aircraft getting caught, not events inexplicable by science.

And the government, scientific community, the things we think of as “the establishment” never encouraged the public to take the occurrence of UFOs seriously. It’s always been officially suppressed and politically discouraged.

Then why did the US encourage belief that ufos are spaceships from other civilizations so intensively after World War II? Why publicize things like the Roswell “crash” and establish things like Blue Book, which take as their premise that anything unfamiliar in the sky could be a spaceship and must then be proven not to be?

There’s a two-handed movement when it comes to the US ignoring the possibility that ufos are spaceships from other civilizations, which involves them cultivating the belief first so that anyone reporting one could then be ridiculed into silence with it. They don’t encourage people to take aliens seriously, but they do encourage belief in aliens as a fringe belief so they can use it—that’s the distinction you might not be tracking here.

The whole thing with governmentality is that forms of governance change as conditions change. The US can easily transition into some manner of open authoritarianism as conditions change and probably will once global warming takes off. The whole paper reads like the authors started out wanting a political theory of ufos and used Foucault instrumentally as he fit their desires. You’ll get no argument from him that government has to look like C20 bourgeois democracies or that there can’t be continuity between elections as the means of legitimating government and soldiers with guns doing it. He lived through such a transition.

I AM GRANDO has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Jun 6, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Then why did the US encourage belief that ufos are spaceships from other civilizations so intensively after World War II? Why publicize things like the Roswell “crash” and establish things like Blue Book, which take as their premise that anything unfamiliar in the sky could be a spaceship and must then be proven not to be?

There’s a two-handed movement when it comes to the US ignoring the possibility that ufos are spaceships from other civilizations, which involves them cultivating the belief first so that anyone reporting one could then be ridiculed into silence with it.

The whole thing with governmentality is that forms of governance change as conditions change. The US can easily transition into some manner of open authoritarianism as conditions change and probably will once global warming takes off. The whole paper reads like the authors started out wanting a political theory of ufos and used Foucault instrumentally as he fit their desires. You’ll get no argument from him that government has to look like C20 bourgeois democracies or that there can’t be continuity between elections as the means of legitimating government and soldiers with guns doing it. He lived through such a transition.

You can write that off as legitimate fear that the Nazis actually created some of the poo poo everyone thought they may have. Surveillance was primitive, no one trusted anyone, and we'd just invented a bomb that could destroy cities.
Took a little while to put things back together and clamp down

unrelated (or maybe related? who knows)

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1401600451976511489?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You can write that off as legitimate fear that the Nazis actually created some of the poo poo everyone thought they may have. Surveillance was primitive, no one trusted anyone, and we'd just invented a bomb that could destroy cities.
Took a little while to put things back together and clamp down

unrelated (or maybe related? who knows)

https://twitter.com/Marinetimes/status/1401600451976511489?s=20

The US never had an accurate understanding of Soviet capabilities. They spent 50 years expecting space-based weapons and a devastating first nuclear strike that was never a real possibility. MKULTRA came about because they thought the soviets could already do mind control and psychic powers.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

im feeling a 'harmonic convergence'- of this + goatse

yeah it's the gang tag, it's definitely goatse lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The US never had an accurate understanding of Soviet capabilities. They spent 50 years expecting space-based weapons and a devastating first nuclear strike that was never a real possibility. MKULTRA came about because they thought the soviets could already do mind control and psychic powers.

uh im p sure the soviets did in fact have working icbms

if you launch them first, and the other side has no counter measures, thats a devastating first strike...

gaslighting ourselves into the rest of that zanyness is pretty lol tho

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im sorry I'm the source of covid and the entry/exit point for aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Google Butt posted:

im sorry I'm the source of covid and the entry/exit point for aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7lRV1VHv1g

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the soviets studied ufo using "biolocation", an intuitive science thats basically dowsing for biological energy fields. we need to import this field of study so that, while wandering around my neighborhood holding my tiny stick and lookin for saucers, i can assure everyone im legitimate (bonafide)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

uh im p sure the soviets did in fact have working icbms

if you launch them first, and the other side has no counter measures, thats a devastating first strike...

gaslighting ourselves into the rest of that zanyness is pretty lol tho

The CIA thought that the Soviet Union was willing to endure a retaliatory strike because they tried to build enough bomb shelters for everyone in the country, which the capitalists of the US couldn’t understand as anything other than an attempt to persevere through a retaliatory strike, not being capable of imagining that another country would actually just want to save as many people as possible if they were hit, which is what was actually the case.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://youtube.com/shorts/n4r_Dz_lJS4?feature=share

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

no ring 5/10 ftl fml

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bideo James posted:

no ring 5/10 ftl fml

what are you talking about that IS the ring, the whole thing is the ring! its missing everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

imagine spacetime like goatse

the outer ring (or the o ring) is space, our way across the universe are the fingers of the man, our craft is the ring on his hand (the h ring). theoretically we could move this ring to any finger on the hands of the man, and traverse the ring of the universe