Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sephyr posted:

"Arguably" is doing a lot of work there, given that Neo/One still sacrifices himself to banish his evil, world-dooming counterpart, is laid out in a Christ-like t-pose as he is carried on his robot hearse, and is implied to be capable of returning. Again.

Smith becomes the character that seems actually set to cause a Revolution, for better or for worse, and then Neo sacrifices himself to set things, more or less, back to the status quo ("How long do you think this peace will last?" "As long as it can.")

I'm not saying that the Jesus parallel isn't there, I'm saying that my reading is that showing Neo as a Christ figure - a concept central to a religion that has had horrible effects on much of the planet and especially on queer peoples - is not meant to be parsed as a Good thing, and that Neo fulfilling his purpose to basically reset everything (as stipulated in Reloaded) is actually a Bad End, overall

people are quick to jump on the concept that The Matrix is a trans allegory - I'd take it a spicy step further and say the sequels are meant to riff on the idea that, even in a trans-positive society, the concept of gender is still basically a means of control, but that now we're already stuck in a feedback loop where we avoid progression to a possibly post-gendered society because of rhetoric that implies that the repudiation of that system is functionally indifferent from fascism

Curio's video notes that Smith's completed Matrix takeover is "sterile," but I think an interesting view to take is to keep in mind that Smith also waxes poetic about how humans define themselves via suffering - I think an interesting point of view to take w.r.t the Matrix sequels is that they're saying rage against the machine, of course, but also saying something about how a vision of where we may or may not eventually end up can be pretty scary

Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

https://youtu.be/UALreieU39Q

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't know anything about Detroit but the David Cage Blade Runner quote is amazing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This was David Cage by the way.

https://twitter.com/Luceobrien/status/1278048724808155136?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

So I spent most of the game wondering if the Native American stuff would ever matter again and it didn't.

What I recall most Beyond Two Souls was indeed the extended digression of a very white man writing about Native Americans sequence and the very painfully awkward sequence of Jodie getting ready for her date which now really does feel like a chance for Cage to put Page in his underwear.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Re: Detroit, aside from the actors in the Connor story deviating from the script, pissing Cage off, and having better onscreen chemistry from all that, iirc the initial pitch of the game was only going to be that "robot detective" portion. Then they decided to get all heady and add the Marcus story. Then I guess they added Kara for padding. Her character design was recycled from a tech demo they did years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

What I recall most Beyond Two Souls was indeed the extended digression of a very white man writing about Native Americans sequence and the very painfully awkward sequence of Jodie getting ready for her date which now really does feel like a chance for Cage to put Page in his underwear.

you forgot the part where he used full nude scans of page and put them in the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Re: Detroit, aside from the actors in the Connor story deviating from the script, pissing Cage off, and having better onscreen chemistry from all that, iirc the initial pitch of the game was only going to be that "robot detective" portion. Then they decided to get all heady and add the Marcus story. Then I guess they added Kara for padding. Her character design was recycled from a tech demo they did years ago.

You mean NOT have a short-haired brunette? Madness.

Kara does remind me, and I'm sure others have brought it up, that she gets bought as a nanny by the guy who comes off as ridiculously over the top abusive because Cage is not a man who understands 'nuance' that he lives in this super rundown house but apparently has the scratch to by not one but two (because of the Shocking Twist) androids.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you forgot the part where he used full nude scans of page and put them in the game.

Oh, yeah. I did. Ew.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Todd's selling the future crack, assumedly he gets some money from that.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
david cage is such a dogshit storyteller and absolute bastard of a human being that i think enjoying his works, which are leaking with his greasy influence in every frame, might require some serious and hard examination of what you found appealing about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IIRC it was nude scans of some other model that he put Page's head on. Not that advanced 3D deepfakes is any better.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's the type of thing that technically isn't a violation of the contract, but is still scummy as hell. There's no reasonable explanation for why Quantic Dream took it that far beyond "they're creeps"

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

fun hater posted:

david cage is such a dogshit storyteller and absolute bastard of a human being that i think enjoying his works, which are leaking with his greasy influence in every frame, might require some serious and hard examination of what you found appealing about it.

No don’t do this. A consistent thing is that there are parts of almost all his games that are good/interesting and people shouldn't feel bad about enjoying them. Games are group efforts and the wast majority og the people working on them have done nothing wrong.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think i will continue to do this, personally. i feel ok saying the games headed by the french's collective failson are bad enough to warrant maybe even just re-examining your entertainment preferences. but i am also not willing to argue about it lol.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Youtube reccomended this pretty interesting video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgGEGFoggo. Channel seems to be updated pretty infrequently, but it looks like it has some cool stuff on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alacron posted:

Yeah, it's the type of thing that technically isn't a violation of the contract, but is still scummy as hell. There's no reasonable explanation for why Quantic Dream took it that far beyond "they're creeps"

There's that picture of Cage just beaming sitting between Page and Defoe who look like they would rather be anywhere else that makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hellbunny posted:

No don’t do this. A consistent thing is that there are parts of almost all his games that are good/interesting and people shouldn't feel bad about enjoying them. Games are group efforts and the wast majority og the people working on them have done nothing wrong.

Detroit in particular has very clearly had someone tell David Cage no to his typical bullshit in multiple places. His influence is still there, but it's notably mitigated compared to what happens in his earlier games.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looking back on it, it's pretty obvious too considering how little Kara's path influences anything and how easily it can be ended. You can end it almost immediately, in fact.

Alacron posted:

There's literally no reason for it to exist at all; A full human 3D model is "necessary" for the behind-the-glass shots, but there's zero reason to render full anatomical detail when there's zero use to it being there. That body should be about as accurate as a barbie doll.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's just such a stark difference between the Hank & Conner sections and the Marcus sections. It's very obvious which of the two Cage had his hands in more.

Kara is also there I guess. The most energy I can spare on her part of the game is that the twist is crazy stupid

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only QD game I ever felt interested in is Nomad Soul, and mostly because David Bowie is in it for like 5 minutes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

The only QD game I ever felt interested in is Nomad Soul, and mostly because David Bowie is in it for like 5 minutes.

Just while I was clicking on "quote", I suddenly noticed you were saying "Nomad Soul", not "Soul Nomad" so my indignant joke about what character David Bowie was the VA for in Soul Nomad died instantly.

So instead, see me baffled that there are both Soul Nomad and Nomad Soul, and both games have absolutely nothing in common.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Who cares about Kara when we have Emmy the Robot nanny now.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

How could anyone talk about David Cage without mentioning the Fahrenheit bonus scene which features a model of himself dancing with the lead female character in her underwear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJHfjFa1CI

0:36 in

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Eyepatchwolf on Mother 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP60Hs_Bv5o

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

good lord the man already sounds like he's about to burst into tears while talking about The Lore of The Fiend, i can't imagine what that video sounds like

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
since when is sepw so hot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn’t David Cage also the one who had Elliot Page animated for a shower scene and had extra footage with cartoon nudity made beyond the frame of the shots used in the game, like with boobs and soforth? I don’t know anything about video games, but that always seemed pretty wrong to me.

EDIT: I should have read this page before posting!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even though Detroit reigned Cage in it still turns to complete poo poo at the end as usual. The Men Drinking Coffee made the best statement on it: it’s not using robots to make a statement about racism and the holocaust, it’s using race rights movements and holocaust imagery to make a statement about robots.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Alaois posted:

good lord the man already sounds like he's about to burst into tears

Tbf he also sounds like that when he's reading a phone book.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

There's that picture of Cage just beaming sitting between Page and Defoe who look like they would rather be anywhere else that makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

I googled this and it's not just A picture. It's all pictures where they're in a room together.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/donleykogn/status/909398164670578688

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vichan posted:

Tbf he also sounds like that when he's reading a phone book.

do you want to continue reading that sentence or

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t David Cage also the one who had Elliot Page animated for a shower scene and had extra footage with cartoon nudity made beyond the frame of the shots used in the game, like with boobs and soforth? I don’t know anything about video games, but that always seemed pretty wrong to me.

EDIT: I should have read this page before posting!

iirc he essentially stalked her into signing on because he was obsessed with casting her specifically in the game. mentions of him decorating his desk with hundreds of pictures of her. combine that with what you mentioned and... yeah

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 6, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Now I know where does :negative: come from!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Famethrowa posted:

iirc he essentially stalked her into signing on because he was obsessed with casting her specifically in the game. mentions of him decorating his desk with hundreds of pictures of her. combine that with what you mentioned and... yeah

Holy poo poo I knew he had a creepy crush on him but I did not know this bit :stare:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I'd never played a David Cage game outside Fahrenheit - which I did when I was like 14, so it didn't feel too weird at the time (though quite a lot of it felt coming out of left field even for a baby me). Looking back at it, I suppose English not being my first language allowed me to not notice some of the awkward-er parts :v:

Beyond that, I only knew a bit about Heavy Rain, mostly through memes and pop-cultural osmosis. So, I went and watched a bit of a Beyond: Two Souls letsplay by Two Super Best Friends Play, just to see what folks are complaining about

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. I literally couldn't bear it for more than like two episodes, even with all the genuinely-funny commentary and stuff. I think I found my new least-favourite Big-Name Game Auteur dude.

Like, I don't know what was going on behind the scenes and stuff, and I can look past the whole "people as written by a loving alien" vibe that permeates every single thing on the screen - in fact, if it was just this, it'd be the greatest so-bad-it's-good piece of art since The Room. What really made it unbearable this sense of subtle grossness in the way it treats the main character. Idk, maybe I'm seeing things, but I got these really bad, almost groomer-like vibes from it, to the point of physically shuddering a couple of times. The way it's all written and presented; the way the narrative seems to low-key get off, almost, at putting Elliot Page's character in uncomfortable, awkward, humiliating, painful situations, pushing past their consent and watching them suffer while *pretending* to be sympathetic; the way how all of this seems accidentally-revealing to boot, without any reflection or self-awareness or intent on behalf of the writer - I don't know, it all just adds up to a pretty ugly picture. I was hoping for something more funny, i dunno :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nurmie posted:

I'd never played a David Cage game outside Fahrenheit - which I did when I was like 14, so it didn't feel too weird at the time (though quite a lot of it felt coming out of left field even for a baby me). Looking back at it, I suppose English not being my first language allowed me to not notice some of the awkward-er parts :v:

Beyond that, I only knew a bit about Heavy Rain, mostly through memes and pop-cultural osmosis. So, I went and watched a bit of a Beyond: Two Souls letsplay by Two Super Best Friends Play, just to see what folks are complaining about

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. I literally couldn't bear it for more than like two episodes, even with all the genuinely-funny commentary and stuff. I think I found my new least-favourite Big-Name Game Auteur dude.

Like, I don't know what was going on behind the scenes and stuff, and I can look past the whole "people as written by a loving alien" vibe that permeates every single thing on the screen - in fact, if it was just this, it'd be the greatest so-bad-it's-good piece of art since The Room. What really made it unbearable this sense of subtle grossness in the way it treats the main character. Idk, maybe I'm seeing things, but I got these really bad, almost groomer-like vibes from it, to the point of physically shuddering a couple of times. The way it's all written and presented; the way the narrative seems to low-key get off, almost, at putting Elliot Page's character in uncomfortable, awkward, humiliating, painful situations, pushing past their consent and watching them suffer while *pretending* to be sympathetic; the way how all of this seems accidentally-revealing to boot, without any reflection or self-awareness or intent on behalf of the writer - I don't know, it all just adds up to a pretty ugly picture. I was hoping for something more funny, i dunno :smith:

Seems very Joss Whedon, honestly.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I watched an LP of Fahrenheit in on this very forum. The constant creepy gaze Cage had on Carla unnerved me. I think most posters in that thread were clowning on him anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Seems very Joss Whedon, honestly.

I was gonna say that they are different. But no this is pretty spot on. Especially with both of them enjoying mainstream success and a lot of defenders until relatively recently.

I guess Cage hasn't been outed as a domestic abuser yet?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Please enjoy this stage demo David Cage gave for Heavy Rain in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MOJJ5dLdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

do you want to continue reading that sentence or

Ah, got it.

EDIT: Seriously how did I completely misinterpret that initially?

Vichan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 6, 2021