Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Pascal's 38 years old, will be 39 years old later this year. Have to imagine this is the end of the road for his career.

I feel personally attacked! :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

When it comes to Askren, I think you can without exaggeration say he was the ufc fighter with the worst stand up (at least, the worst relatively recent and competitive one, im not talking about 90s stuff or something) and that was before he had a hip replaced. Paul wasn't just fighting an average mma fighter, or even an mma fighter with below average striking. There's a distribution in striking ability in the ufc and while it's not all terrible, the lowest end of it is bad.

Is Tyron the same? No. But clearly they feel he has exploitable weaknesses.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ben askren's stand up is very bad when compared to world class fighters

a person who has boxed for a year is very bad when compared to ok amateurs.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

ben askren's stand up is very bad when compared to world class fighters

a person who has boxed for a year is very bad when compared to ok amateurs.

And yet look how the fight turned out

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mr. F! posted:

And yet look how the fight turned out

lol

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/nrvvxq/gonna_be_a_close_one/

:lol: Will a Paul be beaten so badly that the future sales numbers go down?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
As I watched the clip, the coach in me just said,
"hands up, Logan. I know it's the end of the drill but you gotta stay in form. Hands up!"

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

His fights have been really short to make anything or e about his gas. I don't follow him in any form -- does he regularly show his training camps or boxing workouts?

Neither do I. I have nothing to base my cardio assumptions on, other than that Paul seems to have trained pretty seriously for a few years and that Woodley's cardio is kind of suspect. Paul's never been hit by anything like Woodley's power though and he may be in for a rude awakening here. I sure as hell hope Woodley knocks him the gently caress out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LLCoolJD posted:

Judging by the size of the punching bag Floyd doesn’t even have a chance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

Paul seems to have trained pretty seriously for a few years and that Woodley's cardio is kind of suspect.

I think both are true, but relative to
1) boxercise / UFC franchise gym people
2) UFC tier fighters

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LLCoolJD posted:

god it's been so long since i've watched a mayweather fight that i had forgotten how fast his hands are

anyways no, mayweather's going to carry logan paul through at least 5 rounds and then his corner is going to politely but firmly be advised to throw in the towel

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The worse Logan looks that will only make the inevitable Jake Paul-Mayweather fight even bigger

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I wanna see Floyd smash this dudes hair off his head tbh

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Daniel Dubois just iced Bogdan Dinu in 2 rounds; one punching him with a set right hand. Dinu is nothing special, but Dubois beat him faster than anyone else has, and he looked really good in the fight overall. Despite the loss to Joe Joyce, I still think Dubois is one of the top 5 prospects in the heavyweight division, along with Tony Yoka, Filip Hrgovic, Efe Ajagba, and Fabio Wardley.

Sounds like Dubois is fighting Trevor Bryan next for the WBA "regular" belt. Bryan is a Don King creation who hadn't fought in 2.5 years before beating a shot Bermane Stiverne for the WBA paper title earlier this year. Bryan's an enigma, but he seems to be able to at least fight a little bit. Would still expect Dubois to win that fight.

Joe Joyce will also be supposedly fighting at the end of July. Expect a tomato can.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 5, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Showtime taking a page out of the Triller boxing experience. Trick Daddy is performing at the weigh-in.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
*Said in a Fez from "That 70's Show" voice*

He's going to do it.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1401298361181954051

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

*Said in a Fez from "That 70's Show" voice*

He's going to do it.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1401298361181954051

this is the most useless information published for a 'fight' since a jack johnson fight

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

this is the most useless information published for a 'fight' since a jack johnson fight

This is the most important fight since Jack Johnson vs James Jeffries

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/jX97eutjwjo

Short and sweet. Dubois v. Otto Wallin next, please.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

one year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_K8viZH8FM&t=1208s

no one told me Floyd had the Uncle Drew beard going on.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 6, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nevada is not booking wagers on Floyd/Logan

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

JOHN CENA posted:

Nevada is not booking wagers on Floyd/Logan

Mr. F!, Crying in his maverick hoodie, desperately trying to explain to the bookie that the fight is definitely real.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Mr. F!, Crying in his maverick hoodie, desperately trying to explain to the bookie that the fight is definitely real.

? I was talking about jake this whole time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

lmao

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Excited to see Logan Paul literally die live on ppv.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've begun watching a selection of James Toney's career, mostly his title fights/defences but also some lesser fights that preceeded them.

Right now it's 1993, he's got about three more title defenses before his first loss, which comes from Roy Jones Junior. So far he hasn't fought anyone even near RJJ caliber, though we'll see what comes in these remaining defenses before them.

Interesitngly, in his early pre-title fights there was a running commentary of "He keeps his left hand so low, too low. He thinks he's the next Thomas Hearnes but he's not, he'll regret this!"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

are we making a thread for paul/mayweather

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

are we making a thread for paul/mayweather

I'll refer you to this thread's title.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Hopefully going to get to watch this whilst I’m doing a night shift tonight. Very excited for what ever happens. Love that combat sports are utterly insane.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The ochocinco fight is immediately hilarious

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I can't believe I paid $50 to watch this nonsense.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OchoCinco avoiding Maxwell like he avoided the ball when a db was near.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
FYI I made a thread for Floyd-Logan in case so as not to ruin the sanctity of the boxing thread with these outsiders just kidding, please do try to stick around for 'real' boxing as it's a pretty cool sport sometime

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969944

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
lmao what is this

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

this is desus and mero????

e. and Chad Ochocinco is in the ring?????

e number 2 sorry for posting in the wrong thread

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Chad just got knocked out. This card rules so far

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The ref is this Badou Jack fight is the worst I've ever seen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

Chad just got knocked out. This card rules so far

Just a knockdown, for people still on this thread.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Shakur Stevenson vs Jeremiah Nakathila is next weekend. Could be a good fight seems like a big step up in competition for Shakur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I wish Stevenson could punch even just a little bit.