Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

love to photoshop pictures of an 18-year-old girl because I can't actually counter her argument with facts

Oh I thought the joke was it's some actual adult who just looks like a bigger Thunberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s my new front page splash for tomorrow’s sun

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Ovid emphasizes that justice and peace defined the Golden Age. He adds that in this age, men did not yet know the art of navigation and therefore did not explore the larger world. Further, no man had knowledge of any arts but primitive agriculture. In the Silver Age, Jupiter introduces the seasons, and men consequently learn the art of agriculture and architecture. In the Bronze Age, Ovid writes, men were prone to warfare, but not impiety. Finally, in the Iron Age, men demarcate nations with boundaries; they learn the arts of navigation and mining; they are warlike, greedy, and impious. Truth, modesty, and loyalty are nowhere to be found.

:golfclap:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Guavanaut posted:

Ovid emphasizes that justice and peace defined the Golden Age. He adds that in this age, men did not yet know the art of navigation and therefore did not explore the larger world. Further, no man had knowledge of any arts but primitive agriculture. In the Silver Age, Jupiter introduces the seasons, and men consequently learn the art of agriculture and architecture. In the Bronze Age, Ovid writes, men were prone to warfare, but not impiety. Finally, in the Iron Age, men demarcate nations with boundaries; they learn the arts of navigation and mining; they are warlike, greedy, and impious. Truth, modesty, and loyalty are nowhere to be found.

lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Oh I thought the joke was it's some actual adult who just looks like a bigger Thunberg.

the source picture is from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Greta_Thunberg_sp119.jpg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well then,

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

love to photoshop pictures of an 18-year-old girl because I can't actually counter her argument with facts

Did she have many arguments? I must admit I don't know much about her and what she's done/doing beyond saying 1) Climate change is really, really bad and scientists have the evidence 2) You're doing nothing to stop climate change and that is bad. 3) Please listen to the scientists before we all die! I do know she made people angry and that was hilarious

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bessantj posted:

Did she have many arguments? I must admit I don't know much about her and what she's done/doing beyond saying 1) Climate change is really, really bad and scientists have the evidence 2) You're doing nothing to stop climate change and that is bad. 3) Please listen to the scientists before we all die! I do know she made people angry and that was hilarious

you just listed three of them

the anti-climate change brigade were bad before she turned up but getting schooled by a teenage girl has permanently broken a lot of people's brains

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Urges leaders to jab globe :what::confused:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Her major pitch was 'I am literally a child, gently caress you for doing nothing now meaning I will suffer and die because of your inaction unless I sacrifice myself by stepping up and doing something.'

It was a good pitch and meant a solid block of 16-20 year olds now have experience of organising and light resistance to authority in service of a political goal as they joined in the youth climate movement. That along with Corbynism will shape youth politics for probably the next decade and so it's actually fairly good news from that perspective, particular as the pandemic has dynamited their economic prospects.

Also here's a cool remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEP4MHCKDc

namesake fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 6, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

bessantj posted:

Well...

Climate change is really really bad.
Nothing is being done to stop it
It's really bad, a lot of people will die. Like a lot.

What other arguments do you need?

Then again, Covid will kill a few million and no one gives a poo poo so I get why they are also cool with tens/hundreds millions of dead or displaced peeps.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 6, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dead Goon posted:

Urges leaders to jab globe :what::confused:

"Let the bodies pile up in their thousands" has been thoroughly memory-holed by the Murdoch press, you see

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

bessantj posted:

There's a really solid, calculated plan in place for climate change and it involves making as much profit as possible while poor people shut up and die en masse.

Anyone pointing out the causes of and solutions to climate change is bad because doing something about those things would hit profit margins- it's also dangerous when poor people realise they are entirely expendable in exchange for capital- heavens, they might actually do something themselves

Can't really do climate denial anymore cause A: look out the fuckin window and B: they all went and joined qanon and now climate is just a side gig, so the corporate outcome is currently targeted personal attacks from all sectors on a scandinavian teen, and for everything else there's greenwashing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gort posted:

"Let the bodies pile up in their thousands" has been thoroughly memory-holed by the Murdoch press, you see

It'll reappear when they've got a prefered replacement. The problem is that there aren't any left structures able to keep the memory alive and the pressure on so all the politics is rightwing interfactional fighting and people trying to slam Becketts general secretary campaign.

Seriously, the best thing the left has going on is a lot of shitposting around a somewhat fighty union leader.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Getting told what to do by a school girl is bad because, apart from the ones that are in to it in different ways, it just reinforces their attitude that they're right cos what could some silly school girl tell me?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks, I only really know about her on a surface level so wondered if I had missed something. Quite brave of her to put herself out there like that really. I suppose in revenge someone could photoshop a climate denier, but anything you do to Chris Monkton would be an improvement.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

keep punching joe posted:

Then again, Covid will kill a few million and no one gives a poo poo so I get why they are also cool with tens/hundreds millions of dead or displaced peeps.

Covid already has killed a few million, not that anyone seems to care.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Private Speech posted:

Covid already has killed a few million, not that anyone seems to care.

i think covid has kind of... like been noticed? How do you mean people don't seem to care?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ovid-19 :makesuthink:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think covid has kind of... like been noticed? How do you mean people don't seem to care?

I thought it was like couple hundred thousand before I checked, and there's also the fact that most of the deaths worldwide had been in the last 6-7 months.

I'm not saying it's not noticed, but nobody seems to be keen on holding anyone to account, especially after the vaccination started.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is pretty glorious. Screenshotted 'cause you don't really get the full effect from just viewing the tweet text.

https://twitter.com/T_mcilhatton/status/1401632525726978051?s=20

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
gently caress

XMNN fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 7, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope I live to see the day when all these freaks are more afraid to speak up than they are to open their gobs and repeat the same stupid poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what is labour for

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

crispix posted:

what is labour for

Flags and cops

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

crispix posted:

what is labour for

they hadn't been cleared by keith to tell you yet

any time now

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
more terfs than a garden centre

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
In five years labour will emerge from their office and announce that they finally have a policy, a firm commitment to tell boris johnson that nuking every constituency that didn't vote Conservative was a bad idea and not to do it again

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Some in the thread have mentioned that they would not like to see transphobic tweets etc. in the thread, which I think is fair enough.

Would you mind spoiler tagging those and putting a content warning on?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

crispix posted:

what is labour for

They are a puppet, to be shouted down and stamped on, but always survive. Britain claims to be multi-party, but there is only one Party. And reality is whatever they claim it to be.

....We're the Proles.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
https://twitter.com/IanByrneMP/status/1401526218391011340?s=20
I swear u can blag about anything about Hilsborough or Corbyn but anything slanderous towards tories and it's a no go.
How the gently caress can such a major institution publish something that goes against all facts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The spectator is a manky fash rag, it's never gonna do anything else.

I guess if the question is specifically "how" does it does that I would suggest that is the natural tendency of large institutions under private or state control, they become vehicles for the dissemination of information useful to the people who control them, who tend to be also manky little fascists.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 7, 2021

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

The spectator is a manky fash rag, it's never gonna do anything else.

I guess if the question is specifically "how" does it does that I would suggest that is the natural tendency of large institutions under private or state control, they become vehicles for the dissemination of information useful to the people who control them, who tend to be also manky little fascists.

Lol I'm like somehow surprised but I knew this poo poo would happen.
Obviously didn't expect the spectator to have morals but I swear the UK has really really stringent libel laws?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can't libel the truth or poor people

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

kingturnip posted:

You can't libel the truth or poor people

ofc, I legit sometimes slip out of the mind frame of the rich not being held to the law cause the law exists for them to opress us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Worst Johnson sibling.

https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/1401496702335471616

What set all the terves off last night? Twitter looks even worse than normal this morning.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
sonia sodha wrote a piece about how calling them bigots hurts their feelings

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

Worst Johnson sibling.

https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/1401496702335471616

What set all the terves off last night? Twitter looks even worse than normal this morning.

A global tax rate, even if it is a paltry 15%, is a giant leap towards fixing the broken taxation system.
and if it starts at 15%, whats to stop them raising it every so often......

It's an important small step.

What would be interesting is if personal finances were taxed like profit. Oh, your struggling to make ends meet, no tax for you. Got 20 billion in a bank account? we're taking half of that! it would keep the money circulating.
of course, you'd need to set up some limits, otherwise no one would save for anything ever.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Grey Hunter posted:

A global tax rate, even if it is a paltry 15%, is a giant leap towards fixing the broken taxation system.
and if it starts at 15%, whats to stop them raising it every so often......

It's an important small step.

What would be interesting is if personal finances were taxed like profit. Oh, your struggling to make ends meet, no tax for you. Got 20 billion in a bank account? we're taking half of that! it would keep the money circulating.
of course, you'd need to set up some limits, otherwise no one would save for anything ever.

I quite liked the suggestion from this thread a while back that once you have a billion dollars you get a certificate that says 'Congratulations you won at capitalism' and everything else you ever make it taxed at 100%. (along with a robust social security net for those who somehow gamble away a billion dollars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always thought medals and titles for the highest taxpayers each year would be a good way to incentivise paying taxes among the richest given that taxes are basically voluntary for them