Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Reminds me of Tenet, which has this very cool palindrome-story structure where they try to have a bunch of scenes that make sense going forward and in reverse, but the actual plot is just James Bond "a bad man wants to blow up a bad bomb" bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Xealot posted:

The "last samurai" is absolutely Katsumoto, or his army as a collective group. The actual figure Katsumoto is based on, Saigō Takamori, is often referred to as such, and the Satsuma Rebellion is understood as the end of the samurai as a class. This movie is just a pseudo-historical retelling of that story.

Algren never struck me as "part" of their community, more as a privileged witness whose purpose is to speak of their greatness. But a lot of people who maybe never watched the movie ran with the most unkind interpretation of the title, and here we are.

I have a similar gripe with people's criticism of Last of the Mohicans, which has one of the best final sequences of anything. The last 10 minutes completely refocus the conflict of the movie, ripping the white characters from the center and making the climactic battle between Magua and Chingachgook. The titular Last Mohican is ultimately Chingachgook, who kills Magua to avenge Uncas; the white characters and their concerns become completely secondary.

gently caress man, that ending of the last of the Mohicans is so loving good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mandrel posted:

gently caress man, that ending of the last of the Mohicans is so loving good

Besides the ending doing that, I really really really loved the scene before where that starts to happen where they enter the indigenous town (I was about to say village but I appreciated how realistically actually built up it was) and their leader and Magua argue a bit about his motivations and stuff. It really was cool how the movie starts out as if it's going to be a typical white savior sort of story and like, Hawkeye is of course very competent but I really liked how the third act of the movie in general Hawkeye and Uncas are Chinachgook's two sons instead of him and Uncas just being side characters. I also liked colonial man sacrificing himself too because like, you want to be a white "savior"? Jesus was executed my dude. It was cool that he accepted that compared to how that character is at the movie's start. Just as rad af movie in general imo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Michael Mann is my favorite director of all time. Other than Blackhat everything he’s made is 10/10 for me.

I keep meaning to try and find that Blackhat recut from a few years ago, I heard it’s more coherent

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Michael Mann is my favorite director of all time. Other than Blackhat everything he’s made is 10/10 for me.

I keep meaning to try and find that Blackhat recut from a few years ago, I heard it’s more coherent

Speaking of that, a specific thing I read about his cut of it is that sort of like Last of the Mohicans it also does a thing where like, the white main character is still the main character technically but everyone else around him gets a lot more focus in the third act. Something like that might make the build up to the final confrontation in it play a little better than it does.

Even just knowing that the nuclear meltdown that opens up the movie was originally meant to happen like halfway through the movie makes most of the movie make a lot more sense.

I still have to see Public Enemies.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Mandrel posted:

The Keep?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

The Keep?

Given the troubled production thanks to studio execs I wouldn't count it against him.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of that, a specific thing I read about his cut of it is that sort of like Last of the Mohicans it also does a thing where like, the white main character is still the main character technically but everyone else around him gets a lot more focus in the third act. Something like that might make the build up to the final confrontation in it play a little better than it does.

Even just knowing that the nuclear meltdown that opens up the movie was originally meant to happen like halfway through the movie makes most of the movie make a lot more sense.

Public Enemies rules. i feel like some of the mixed reaction it got was from people’s assumption it would be more of the usual Mann protagonist/antagonist, criminal/cop frenemy dynamic with Depp and Bale playing off each other, when instead it’s much more quiet, slow burn, rigorously biographical and interested in examining Dillinger. More an Ali type movie than a Heat or Collateral.

And I don’t count The Keep yeah, not fair to put that on him

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

2house2fly posted:

Reminds me of Tenet, which has this very cool palindrome-story structure where they try to have a bunch of scenes that make sense going forward and in reverse, but the actual plot is just James Bond "a bad man wants to blow up a bad bomb" bullshit

This nails why I've been so ambivalent to sit down and watch the whole thing. The plot just sounds like someone was working on a fairly rote spy thriller, read "Scherzo with Tyrannosaur" one day, and then used that as inspiration to jam in all the overwrought time travel stuff to spice up the main plot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tenet is worth watching, and then never thinking about again. It's a neat exercise in filmmaking, but it absolutely sucks as a movie. It's impressive on a technical level, but there's a reason there's no études on the radio.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Watch Tenet then watch YouTube explain it all cause it’s loving zany.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

finally got around to watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance today. I was super lukewarm on the first one back in the day and had always heard the sequel was worse so I had never watched it. I wish anybody had told me it was by the Crank dudes, I would’ve checked it out much sooner. Movie loving rocks. Nick Cage going full Nick Cage screaming and laughing like a lunatic, Idris Elba playing a drunk French priest who uses machine guns and does Matrix dodges, Ghost Rider turning a 20 story dragline into a flaming monstrosity and going nuts on people, Christopher Lambert covered in face tattoos, every single actor just chewing the scenery, manic camerawork. It’s great.

Now I’m rewatching the first one and it’s hilarious how different it is tonally. Nick Cage still trying to be a normal sane actor, putting on an accent and poo poo and being serious, the movie trying to get us to find any of the demon stuff serious and spooky instead of insanely stupid and ridiculous.

It’s like it’s trying to strike the tone of like Blade, but it can’t get around that ultimately you’re dealing with a main character who’s a stunt bike rider named Johnny Blaze that transforms into a chattering fire skeleton biker and fights the devil.

The second one hits a tone that feels exactly right to me for the cast and concept. Manic, high energy, kind of silly but gives the rider enough sort of weird twitchy tics and inhumanity that ironically it does come across a little unsettling despite the tone being lighter.

Man, like Blade this is another franchise that I’m just dreading Marvel doing a bland MCU rendition of. It’s a concept that requires a type of creative insanity they just aren’t capable of, it’s going to be so loving boring.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mandrel posted:

Man, like Blade this is another franchise that I’m just dreading Marvel doing a bland MCU rendition of. It’s a concept that requires a type of creative insanity they just aren’t capable of, it’s going to be so loving boring.

Depending on how you judge Agents of SHIELD’s place in the MCU, there already has been a depiction of Ghost Rider in it, in a performance I think most people were pretty positive on, coming in what I think most people agree is the best season of the show (Season 4). It’s the Robbie Reyes version of the character, though. I think Johnny Blaze might technically appear but just as a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it foot, but maybe I’m misremembering how that all played out.

I believe the actor/character was supposed to carry over to the Hulu slate of shows MODOK was part of, before the Disney+ shows got announced and all the Hulu shows besides MODOK got cancelled.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 7, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Ghost Rider was supposed to be part of a different supernatural set of shows with Helstrom. The MODOK thing was wackier stuff like Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl.

And yeah, Blaze is in Robbie's origin scene as an easter egg.

edit: MODOK was originally part of "The Offenders" with Hit-Monkey, Tigra and Dazzler, and Howard the Duck. Helstrom and Reyes were part of "Adventure into Fear".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 7, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think Ghost Rider was supposed to be part of a different supernatural set of shows with Helstrom. The MODOK thing was wackier stuff like Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl.

You’re right, I conflated the two groups, but they both mate the same fate in the end so it is largely irrelevant. Obviously Helstrom is cancelled, does anyone know if MODOK has a future?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Public Enemies is really weird. It's shot in that strange, digital, faux verite style that he also used for Miami Vice, but it's also a really inaccurate and mythologised take on Dillinger's life. It collapses whole events into one another, people die in it who actually died a long time after and the story's main focus is on a really loving half assed love story. It feels like a 'too many cooks' type situation. The book is a huge tome and covers a shitload of ground, and the film is a largely unsuccessful attempt to find a clear through line.

The shootouts are loving dope though.

Mandrel posted:

Public Enemies rules. i feel like some of the mixed reaction it got was from people’s assumption it would be more of the usual Mann protagonist/antagonist, criminal/cop frenemy dynamic with Depp and Bale playing off each other, when instead it’s much more quiet, slow burn, rigorously biographical and interested in examining Dillinger. More an Ali type movie than a Heat or Collateral.

It's not rigorously biographical, though. Pretty Boy Floyd, killed at the beginning of the film, and Baby Face Nelson, killed about halfway through, both outlived Dillinger. I understand why they shifted it round, to create the sense that Dillinger is the last of his kind. He wasn't, though. It's a concession to dramatic structure. It sits uncomfortably between biography and myth and doesn't quite do either very well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

finally got around to watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance today. I was super lukewarm on the first one back in the day and had always heard the sequel was worse so I had never watched it. I wish anybody had told me it was by the Crank dudes, I would’ve checked it out much sooner. Movie loving rocks. Nick Cage going full Nick Cage screaming and laughing like a lunatic, Idris Elba playing a drunk French priest who uses machine guns and does Matrix dodges, Ghost Rider turning a 20 story dragline into a flaming monstrosity and going nuts on people, Christopher Lambert covered in face tattoos, every single actor just chewing the scenery, manic camerawork. It’s great.

Now I’m rewatching the first one and it’s hilarious how different it is tonally. Nick Cage still trying to be a normal sane actor, putting on an accent and poo poo and being serious, the movie trying to get us to find any of the demon stuff serious and spooky instead of insanely stupid and ridiculous.

It’s like it’s trying to strike the tone of like Blade, but it can’t get around that ultimately you’re dealing with a main character who’s a stunt bike rider named Johnny Blaze that transforms into a chattering fire skeleton biker and fights the devil.

The second one hits a tone that feels exactly right to me for the cast and concept. Manic, high energy, kind of silly but gives the rider enough sort of weird twitchy tics and inhumanity that ironically it does come across a little unsettling despite the tone being lighter.

I still think the best Ghost Rider movie was Drive Angry

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The first Ghost Rider was incredibly bad imo so I similarly never got around to watching the second despite Cage's performance anecdotes and him buying ancient Egyptian crystals that he lined the inside of his coat with to help get into character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I couldn't stop loving Cage sounding like Elvis.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I haven't seen either Ghost Rider (couldn't make it through #1) but Drive Angry is a phenomenal entry in the "too pissed off for hell" genre that's shared with few movies not named "Mortal Kombat".

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the second Ghost Rider has a scene where the fire effects on Ghost Rider’s head are so realistic I literally looked it up to be sure they didn’t just set a stuntman’s head on fire for the scene

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mandrel posted:

the second Ghost Rider has a scene where the fire effects on Ghost Rider’s head are so realistic I literally looked it up to be sure they didn’t just set a stuntman’s head on fire for the scene

It was Neveldine and Taylor. They probably set their own heads on fire for the shot.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ghostrider 2 sucks but yeah, some of the effects and the "look" of the actual ghost rider was great

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's some leaked set photos of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and he is wearing the Eye of Agamotto.

Is he just wearing it as a sweet chain and fashion accessory now?

And Thanos actually destroyed the Eye itself in Infinity War, so maybe he did just make a gold-plated chain replica.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 7, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's some leaked set photos of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and he is wearing the Eye of Agamotto.

And Thanos actually destroyed the Eye itself in Infinity War, so maybe he did just make a gold-plated chain replica.

Shared continuity, babeeee

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Maybe it’s the Dr. Strange from a different universe?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Theres this funny thing I read I think from Ghost Rider 2 about Cage literally hitting a wall bc hes running out of insane Cage-isms, yelling about being tapped out.

Or was that Bad Lieutenant?

E: Ghost Rider 2 would have been alot better if they could film any of the action outside of a quarry

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Multiverse of Madness.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

well why not posted:

I haven't seen either Ghost Rider (couldn't make it through #1) but Drive Angry is a phenomenal entry in the "too pissed off for hell" genre that's shared with few movies not named "Mortal Kombat".

It had the obvious "it's coming right at youuuuu" 3d effects too but the overlay of the flashback on the windshield while Nicolas Cage is driving was actually the best use of 3d I've seen in a film to date

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

It’s definitely a much smaller film than the first one but I think that worked for me. The first one was just like, peak mid-late 2000s Green Lantern bad CGI boringly shot superhero movie. there’s so many set pieces in it that should be awesome conceptually and I just felt nothing watching them because they’re so boring and devoid of any kind of style or weight. whereas in 2 just a scene of a eastern European extra babbling and looking terrified while a flaming skull screams in his face in a quarry for like a minute straight got me super hyped and cackling. there’s just a lot more inspiration there.

there’s that shot after the Rider kills a bunch of guys where he’s just standing there with the camera on his back and then he starts swaying his hips and you realize he’s doing a funny little dance that’s just so good

i dunno, maybe I’m just weird, i just had so much fun watching that stupid loving movie

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I also enjoy Ghost Rider 2 for the manic energy and camera work. Its a fun wacky b action movie.

The BTS is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgI2kKUqqc

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Nic Cage fully birthed a completely unique form of acting with its roots in vaudeville and silent films and by God I respect the dude for just going for it. "Mega-acting" indeed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ghost Rider 2 is the very definition of a movie that is less than the sum of its parts, which is too bad, becomes some of those parts are pretty awesome:

- Ghost Riding the largest land vehicle on earth (can he ghost ride ships and planes?)
- Nick Cage being even more insane than the first
- Idris Elba being charming as hell
- Eastern European Oligarch Satan
- Fantastic effects for half the budget of the first film

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one bad guy's superpower being entropy/decay was pretty rad too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnOZiCXudk

Lol that that's the only video of it I can find too

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The United States posted:

- Ghost Riding the largest land vehicle on earth (can he ghost ride ships and planes?)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nic Cage fully birthed a completely unique form of acting with its roots in vaudeville and silent films and by God I respect the dude for just going for it. "Mega-acting" indeed.

I'm still sad about him and Ron Perlman just phoning it in for Season of the Witch just because yeah it IS a crappy movie but it would have been legit good if they both did their maximum thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is stuff like this the norm for Ghost Rider comics? That character(s) seems like you can get really dumb and over-the-top with it in the good way.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want a Ghost Rider movie written by Da Share Zone.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

I also enjoy Ghost Rider 2 for the manic energy and camera work. Its a fun wacky b action movie.

The BTS is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgI2kKUqqc

so loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Is stuff like this the norm for Ghost Rider comics? That character(s) seems like you can get really dumb and over-the-top with it in the good way.

Ghost Rider ghost rode a Mastadon, among other things: