Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Donnerberg posted:

It's funny how you can direct the horde as a solo by just keeping a motion sensor alive in a problem area. See red dot, run to red dot.

Indoor base fights feel like early Overwatch though. Pubbies don't secure objectives, trade kills at the opposing spawn and get overrun by respawns. At least in PS1 you could save them from themselves by blowing the generator.

On the other hand, you don't actually need too many people actually playing smart to make a huge difference. I watched 2 squads keep a 3 point base in contention and tie up around 6 squads just by running routers into point buildings and clamping down real hard on a point, and shifting to another point when they got pushed off. For like 30+ minutes of an alert.

Lot of single point places that a single squad can hold really well if they have a good spread of classes, requiring a lot more pop to push them out.

Indoor bases again, if you focus a squad on a point you'll usually be able to hold it unless there is a real organized counter push, so if you're a smaller group you accept that it might be a longer cap (2 out of 3 points).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mercury_Storm posted:

So the NC just used two back to back orbital strikes to destroy my sunderer. Do hardlight canopies or anything protect from that poo poo?

It's one of those situations that kind of sucks, but at the end of the day they used an extreme amount of resources to kill 1 sundy so it was probably well placed!

Krataar posted:

How is TR pop always the same or highest but they always lose?

tonkers

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 28, 2021

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Ended up running into Paletiger so now my friends and I are splitting time between NC and Vanu. Also met the Confederate clan on TR. I suppose all shooter have some chuds.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I also saw a "Soldiers in Christ" outfit on the NC side :v:

-Murdering pixels FOR JESUS!!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But TR fighters have the coolest VTOL engines you guys :godwin:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
someone please let me into the discord and outfit, tia :)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

just goes to show there's someone for everyone

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ouch. It has its place but it seems like it has to be a group activity if you want to keep a base alive. I was doing a cortium run + (de)construction mission combo over the weekend and it was like 3am so all the fighting was at Nason's on Hossin which had a restricted three lane lattice. I put a base off the road in the NE corner, made it minimal on stuff except some walls, a couple of pain towers, and an anti-vehicle tower because NC had the base and Harassers kept buzzing down the road where we had some sunderers out running people over and trying to pop the sunderers. Well, I started dropping tank mines on the road and getting vehicle kills. People kept driving over them so I kept replacing them from a nearby sunderer. I ended up killing a few harassers and a few other assorted vehicles which was wild since I always pilot stuff with Sweeper HUD on.

Within about five minutes, I returned with some cortium to find enemy tank mines right on the outside of my vehicle gates and over the next five minutes or so I had to repeatedly kill NC and TR stalker cloakers who were cortium bombing everything and kept returning super quick. I never found their sunderers and just gave up on the little base after one finally managed to pop the spawn point. A shotgun secondary with a darklight is great against stalkers who just kind of sit still and hope you didn't see them but you just can't keep up with two of them showing up every minute or two since it takes a while to track them down. I still had a good time but there's a point at which you just nope out, usually when they pop important infrastructure which is easy to do.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
So could I unlock a pillbox and drop it outside a gate to a regular base to make those little bunkers like we had in PS1, or would the dumb thing cost me 50 certs and disappear in a few minutes?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If I remember correctly the pillbox has an infantry terminal, which is a quick route to having an infiltrator hack it and chain spam those cortium bombs on your base.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The pillbox is empty by default, but if you place it low enough you can put modules inside of it. It allows the ground to poke up inside but you can still collide your items with the bottom of it if there's not enough ground available inside. The Bunker is the one with the terminal in it by default, and yeah, they get immediately hacked and used to chain pull cortium bombs nowdays. It's basically instant destruction of your own base to put one down now, unfortunately. The sunderer garage is the default good building to put a bunch of modules inside but it also means that they're all clustered up and easier to hit all at once with a cortium bomb since the force fields only stop vehicles and weapons fire, not walking through.

One fun thing is that the bunker is just the right height to put a vehicle ramp against to drive or walk on top of.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
It really depends what you're wanting to do with the base.

If all you want to do is provide routers, just pick something that's near the starting warp gate and spend as lil on it as possible. So like; spawn point, router shire, vehicle pad. All of these things are quick to replace in the event someone takes out your base. The trick is just finding a spot that isn't heavy in traffic and not spawning and snagging a router every time you die (pulling a valk/esf from the same location and flying out could be a dead giveaway).

If you're propping up a base for an OS, there are a bit more concerns that go into it and is not really a solo'able effort; while it can be done solo it's just not really optimal and more times than not your base will be ruined before you call the strike.

I have only honestly seen a base constructed on a lane to slow a vehicle formation like once...again, quicker/easier to just drop mines.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They should have really just let you build structures that last until the cont gets reset so you could have a ratnest of tunnels and buildings to fight in if a conts been open for awhile. Allow jump pads or those vertical one's so you could literally hoof it from 1 base to another in 10 seconds if you built/controlled the tunnels.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wrel posted an update about the NSOverhaul progress:
https://www.planetside2.com/news/nso-development-update

All of the new stuff sounds great but they currently plan to disband existing NSO outfits so that faction allied NSOs (new thing for membership havers) can join regular faction outfits, while the rest (non members or people opting out) will be freelancers with no outfit. That kind of sucks since it feels like they could leave the NSO outfits for un-allied folks alone. I imagine it's more of a technical back-end thing than a flavor thing, more than anything so it feels like they should be able to figure that out.

The other annoying thing is that they're revamping directives so the few NSO directive weapons that are earned now are going to be grandfathered in as legacy (but may be available later somehow). I'm close on a couple of them but haven't actually gotten any except the knife and I've been playing my NSO primarily for about a year and a half (ASP 84 at the moment). Kind of sucks to being put on a timetable to finish those up, even though the directives really need a revamp. My hope is that since the dev team seems to be pretty lazy they'll just get those same weapons back in through other methods and there won't really be any missing out.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Played for about 8 hours thoughts

- My old man molasses-in-january reflexes are not useful here. (Weirdly, I seem to do okay with carbines at long range but can't hit a goddamn thing in 1 on 1s. It seems I'm most useful getting shot so my team can identify the snipers' location(s)
- The sunderer i spawn from explodes the second i spawn, launching me 300 feet into the air. I was not light assault so the landing was rather terminal.
- Invisible ninja dudes with knives cutting swathes through the entire line.
- Holy poo poo there are a LOT of TF nazis, like, a lot

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In today’s climate, to no one’s great surprise, the literal nazi faction attracts a lot of literal nazis yes.

It was still more than I expected. :shepface:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ronwayne posted:

- My old man molasses-in-january reflexes are not useful here. (Weirdly, I seem to do okay with carbines at long range but can't hit a goddamn thing in 1 on 1s. It seems I'm most useful getting shot so my team can identify the snipers' location(s)
- The sunderer i spawn from explodes the second i spawn, launching me 300 feet into the air. I was not light assault so the landing was rather terminal.

Point 1 is actually one thing I like about this game - even with old man reflexes you can be successful in the game.

Knife infils are hilarious and awful at the same time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hate getting knifed, love to knife people. Therefore it's only okay when I do it.

It feels like there's more new people on in the last few months which is cool but I can often go years between people sending me tells for stuff and it's happened a lot more since the start of the year. Sometimes salt, sometimes hackusations, sometimes gloating, it's weird.

edit: I'm doing it, goons, I'm attempting to save up ISO-4 on my NSO character to straight up buy the Infravision implant for 45k. I always thought that was a ridiculous price but I realize it's been almost two years I've been trying to get it. I'm hoping it'll only take a few months if I just stockpile and buy. I'm also saving my mission turn ins for the double XP weekend. I'm not sure if I'll get bored before I get this done but what the hell, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 6, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

Try a MAX for a bit. They don't do well solo and get blown up by vehicles when in the open, but their infantry encounters are more forgiving on the reflexes. They're good force multipliers too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

This is super normal and there are a couple really effective counters.

If you're getting sniped never stop moving. Just always be moving a little bit. 95% of bush wookies just wait for someone to peak at their map. Be inside to do that, crouched, in a corner, and be quick about it.

For the 1v1s remember it's client side. If they come around a corner on your screen they actually did it a moment before from their pov and are already shooting. You want to be the one coming out from cover. It won't save you from Adderall fueled 12 yr olds but it helps a lot.

The rest, sundie exploding and knife ninja things will make sense with time.

The ninja guys are infiltrators. If your graphics are set right they'll do the predator shimmer. Iirc you have to do some hardcore super potato mode to not be able to see them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It feels like there's more new people on in the last few months which is cool but I can often go years between people sending me tells for stuff and it's happened a lot more since the start of the year. Sometimes salt, sometimes hackusations, sometimes gloating, it's weird.

I made the mistake of glancing up at global and it was NC incest chat in between folks melting down and going "are you even *trying*"?

Re: advice, thanks! I think I really need to invest in a night sight because this is the first game I've played where nighttime reduction in visibility is consistently lethal for me.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 6, 2021

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the tons of TR nazis is honestly what kept me playing, nothing like owning them when they're swaggering and watching the ensuing rage.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Much like in real life they're terrible soldiers but really good at running over people with trucks.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

honda whisperer posted:

The ninja guys are infiltrators. If your graphics are set right they'll do the predator shimmer. Iirc you have to do some hardcore super potato mode to not be able to see them.

I thought having your overall graphics setting to "Low" actually helped you see them better, at least according to this video, or is that no longer the case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvyjTSa8Y2U

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I haven't played for a few years, were the TR always like a nazi faction? I just remember them as, like, the government or whatever. Either way I think I'll be playing NC in an attempt to avoid those kinds of people.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I haven't played for a few years, were the TR always like a nazi faction? I just remember them as, like, the government or whatever. Either way I think I'll be playing NC in an attempt to avoid those kinds of people.

TR is the OORAH SEMPER FI WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT faction. It has a lot of appeal to military fanboys, teens who suck at Call of Duty, and bitter racist veterans. There are a small handful of decent well-adjusted people on TR who just want to use their hideously overpowered guns, but by and large they're outnumbered by the chud zerglings.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

TR were always the oppressor faction, but the fascist aesthetic is more pronounced with their PS2 gear and loading screen art.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DaysBefore posted:

Yes. TR has always been coded as a tyrannical fascist state, their aesthetic became even more fash between PS1 and PS2

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Okay yeah that makes sense, thanks folks. Shame, I do kind of like the look of the black and red colour combination. Of course, skins mean that doesn't really matter, and NC's look is sick too.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Black and Red belongs to the CNT. Just another thing the Right have stolen from the Left. :colbert:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

I thought having your overall graphics setting to "Low" actually helped you see them better, at least according to this video, or is that no longer the case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvyjTSa8Y2U

Could be misremembering but I think it was if you fiddled with your .ini to make smoke grenades not have any effect you made infils truly invisible. Or something like that.

I am sure to make them vanish you've gotta get weird with the graphics settings.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF the NC are are rock n roll corporate goons who have their private security aviators built directly into their helmets.

What I'm saying is that stupid sexy Vanu is the only way.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

As a huge fan of unapologetic starcraft terran style butt-rock/metal in space, I have an appreciation for the aesthetic.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Being in the back seat with a rocket launcher for drive-bys is extremely cool and good, even though I somehow managed to get car sick/nasueated while sitting at a computer chair. There's not a lot of different between extremely good and extremely bad drivers (The merely bad will just get the vehicle stuck somewhere)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Arghyops 7pm EST wens, we gonna shoot some mans.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tonight was some of the most amazing lashing experiences i've ever had on hossin, yes please take those revives, oh stand still to repair that sundy that i'm lashing? Please and thank you.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm gonna do some harassin' today, love those dumb slippery jeeps

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Good ops though i was getting killed constantly all loving night by lone enemies hitting me amongst a group. Still don't understand how we had over 20 NC and VS in the same loving room not killing each other--but oh second i came in time to kill.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've put a few hours into this in the last week and it's still a great shootymans game and I love the size of some of the fights. Nothing better than that moment in a serious combined arms brawl when the enemy breaks and you are suddenly running all over them.

I'm way too old to be any good at FPS these days but can still rack up the xp/certs by playing as a support Engi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexxed posted:

edit: I'm doing it, goons, I'm attempting to save up ISO-4 on my NSO character to straight up buy the Infravision implant for 45k. I always thought that was a ridiculous price but I realize it's been almost two years I've been trying to get it. I'm hoping it'll only take a few months if I just stockpile and buy. I'm also saving my mission turn ins for the double XP weekend. I'm not sure if I'll get bored before I get this done but what the hell, I'm gonna give it a shot.

So here's how this is going:

I honestly thought 45k ISO-4 would be hard to get but I guess I just figured buying one implant pack every day or two would be getting me 225 a day, but since I'm playing more due to the NSO wrelpocalypse (mostly joking), I also generate a lot of certs and ISO from alerts. I actually picked up Firewall in a pack this week which I didn't have on this character. I've been grinding these since late 2019 or so, and I can't complain about the drop rate of exceptional implants, it's just annoying that you will often get the same one and that the one I want has escaped me for so long:

I'm also almost done with the NS-11A aurax to get the Kuwa gun, since that will be grandfathered in when they redo the NSO directives. I'm not thrilled that there's a sudden crunch but it's not that tough to get 150-200 kills a day if I play a little more than normal. I'm salty that Wrel's gonna delete the NSO outfits, seems like they could just leave them in for unallied NSO or offer to move them to a particular faction, but in the meantime I've been dropping orbital strikes on armor columns when I have a mission that requires destroying one vehicle and generally not saving stuff for a rainy day.

biglads posted:

I've put a few hours into this in the last week and it's still a great shootymans game and I love the size of some of the fights. Nothing better than that moment in a serious combined arms brawl when the enemy breaks and you are suddenly running all over them.

I'm way too old to be any good at FPS these days but can still rack up the xp/certs by playing as a support Engi.

I thought I was too old to be good and while I'm not amazing I can hold my own. Age does make you a little slower and it took me longer to get accustomed to both the controls and just how to play the game,but I do okay in my 40s at beating some of the zoomers. It's just takes more time to get practiced. It also helps to be able to afford better computer equipment so you have a smoother experience (at least when GPUs aren't being super scalped and whatnot). I'm running a monitor overclocked to 96hz but I'm thinking about doing the upgrade to freesync/g-sync this year.

edit: if anyone didn't see it yet, the teaser for the NSO ESF is the Dervish two manned heavy fighter. It sounds like it's balanced for air combat more than A2G so that's a little different and it looks neat:
https://www.planetside2.com/news/dervish-heavy-fighter-teaser

There's a video of it flying at that link, I was embedding it but it's kind of big.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 15, 2021