Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah I guess basketball players can be alright, but I don't know poo poo about basketball other than some liberal dipshit called off their strike because Obama called him on the phone and convinced him that doing nothing is actually the best way to do things, so fuckin embarrassing.

Do NBA players get preventably injured? I don't think of basketball as a violent sport, it usually just seems like a guy lands from a 3 feet vertical jump in a bad way and snaps his shin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

For real, show me a pro athlete who shows solidarity with the working class and I'll show you one that I would feel bad about him getting a concussion.

e: also I've been working too much to read this thread but literally all white French people are racist as poo poo and it's hilarious every time they pretend like anyone should give a poo poo about people being mean to them, especially when they immediately turn around and defend blatant obvious racist garbage immediately afterward.

Lmao, solidarity only with people who have the same opinion as me, the true leftist position.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Solidarity with rich people is conditional, sorry lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

Lmao, solidarity only with people who have the same opinion as me, the true leftist position.

i mostly help people accomplish the things i want to happen, and dont help with things i dont want to happen. i donno if that makes me a leftist

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It's fun seeing everyone here who thinks that there's a dollar value on a person's right to not be harmed.

Who cares if these guys have a large salary for a few years, they're still dying early (and like I said already, the millionaire hockey player is the top 1% of players, and the other 99% are still getting injured).

"oh because they don't support me, I won't support them" is some real cool emotional maturity being shown in this thread.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I support the right of any worker who isn't rich not to get injured at work, some guy making 750k/year better not be a loving chud if anyone wants me to feel bad about him getting laid out and dying early.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's fun seeing everyone here who thinks that there's a dollar value on a person's right to not be harmed.

There is but NHL players don't come close to that IMO

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Who cares if these guys have a large salary for a few years, they're still dying early (and like I said already, the millionaire hockey player is the top 1% of players, and the other 99% are still getting injured).

"oh because they don't support me, I won't support them" is some real cool emotional maturity being shown in this thread.

if personal harm isn't worth money than i guess we should stop paying cops $100k per year

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Yes we should. Also because being a cop in Canada is one of the safer jobs you can have.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
very few hockey players(and athletes) in general make huge amounts relative to the actual pool of money available and they probably take the brunt of the actual abuse in sports. lower paid players also have incredible short careers as well

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

not to mention the amount of abuse and harassment exists in minor hockey and how all athletes are forced to give their free labour to minor and amateur leagues for years before even getting a shot to go pro

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
sports should be funded by the government for the entertainment of the mass and also something people do as a hobby when they are not engaged with their proper socially useful job. pro sports isn't good for athletes and its isn't good for society

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i cant believe you idiots are still arguing about this

trolling canadian hockey fans is like shooting fish in a barrel

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rutibex posted:

sports should be funded by the government for the entertainment of the mass and also something people do as a hobby when they are not engaged with their proper socially useful job. pro sports isn't good for athletes and its isn't good for society

if you eliminated private ownership of teams, divided the profit more equitably among players, beefed up post career pensions and healthcare, adjusted the rules to get rid of fighting and targeting and fixed the cesspool that is minor and amateur sports it wouldnt be so bad. it is entertaining to watch top shelf athletes compete at the top of their game

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

RBC posted:

listen bud i just skipped the last 5 pages and needed to get my word in. im also a top tier barrel shooter so how about you gently caress off

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RBC posted:

*After posting about the subject multiple times in the past few pages*

Hurr durr I can't believe you guys are still talking about this, trolled much? Heh, sportsball much?

How about you go outside and pick some weights once in a while bitch

Terror Sweat has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Jun 6, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You can't ice fish or skate in a barrel. Idiots.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

For real, show me a pro athlete who shows solidarity with the working class and I'll show you one that I would feel bad about him getting a concussion.

https://twitter.com/samizayn/status/1374807716594659334?s=21

:hellyeah:

(he’s quoting Propagandhi lyrics all week. Sami is CSPAM Canada incarnate)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Extremely ironic that professional wrestling is the only true sport

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

We should just have fuckin Rollerball already since hockey as it exists is a half-assed substitute for actual bloodsport

Somebody with a pirated copy of Photoshop should modify that goon in the dark drawing so that instead of children playing outside it's Wayne Gretzky scoring a goal

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Somebody with a pirated copy of Photoshop should modify that goon in the dark drawing so that instead of children playing outside it's Wayne Gretzky scoring a goal

or wayne gretzky voting for trump

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rutibex posted:

the cfl exists now though

we know minor/junior hockey is awful, and that the ncaa is a whatever-ball team where the players are forbidden from earning more than a token education from the school attached to the team, but what's it like elsewhere? is the path to pro for a serie a player equally-brutal? are there battered and bruised 30-year-olds who'll forever be sipping tea in a minor-league cricket clubhouse? is there a sandlot luchador tour?

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jun 6, 2021

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I don't know about hockey but I know that in the nfl if you're a bottom of the roster/practice squad player you get paid about 150k a year. But you also pay out of pocket for all your camps, training, travel, medical visits, gear etc because the team only covers that for their main roster. I've read some former players say that they were making about $25k+/- a year all while sustaining life long injuries in the pursuit of nfl contracts.

All labor is exploitative and professional sports are no exception. Maybe it's better here because American labor laws are pretty nonexistent but I doubt it's much better.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

ghosthorse posted:

I don't know about hockey but I know that in the nfl if you're a bottom of the roster/practice squad player you get paid about 150k a year. But you also pay out of pocket for all your camps, training, travel, medical visits, gear etc because the team only covers that for their main roster. I've read some former players say that they were making about $25k+/- a year all while sustaining life long injuries in the pursuit of nfl contracts.

All labor is exploitative and professional sports are no exception. Maybe it's better here because American labor laws are pretty nonexistent but I doubt it's much better.

NHL players and owners split revenue 50-50. Saying NHL players are "workers" and being exploited is like saying CEOs with stock options are exploited. It's loving stupid.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

RBC posted:

NHL players and owners split revenue 50-50. Saying NHL players are "workers" and being exploited is like saying CEOs with stock options are exploited. It's loving stupid.

drat so now teams are worker co-ops that rules

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Jun 6, 2021

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

drat so no teams are worker co-ops that rules

pretty much. except every worker has their own lawyer to negotiate them better pay and working conditions. really exploitive conditions.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I'm wondering what everyone thinks the relationship of players to all the actual workers in these sports organizations are. Do you think they work in solidarity with the ushers in the arena and the cashiers at the food kiosks? Are they the brothers of the cameramen and janitors? Or do they just exploit the gently caress out of all these people to suck them dry with multimillion dollar salaries. Hmmm. This is a very tough call.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Team owners don't have the omnipresent risk of a career-ending brain injury happening to them at any moment, and the fact that the players do is a condition of their employment that long predates the 50-50 arrangement. The owners and the players' union both have the power to insist that this arrangement be modified, but neither does.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Team owners don't have the omnipresent risk of a career-ending brain injury happening to them at any moment, and the fact that the players do is a condition of their employment that long predates the 50-50 arrangement. The owners and the players' union both have the power to insist that this arrangement be modified, but neither does.

And many players are also owners, often of the most exploitive junior and minor league teams.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

do they pay the players in the minor and development hockey leagues yet? because the ncaa doesn't and is a literal huge scam that needs to be dismantled

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think it would be fair to let the hockey team beat the poo poo out of team owners after every game to keep things even and fair

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

RBC posted:

spoken like a true lib

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

look, if someone has something bad done to them and it ISN'T because capital controls the means of production, i don't wanna hear about it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
more hockey chat: it's fun how the moment of silence for the residential school victims is immediately followed by the national anthem

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rutibex posted:

if personal harm isn't worth money than i guess we should stop paying cops $100k per year

i have never worked a job in my life that wasn't significantly more dangerous than being a cop, and not one of them has come close to earning a third that amount of money, so absolutely yes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lowering the flags to half mast was a good start, now they just need to lower them the rest of the way & take them off the flagpoles

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
how many times per year does the average canadian hear the national anthem outside of sports?

my guess is 0

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

pokeyman posted:

how many times per year does the average canadian hear the national anthem outside of sports?

my guess is 0

Depends on how many times I want to listen to classified's "o Canada".

So 0.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pokeyman posted:

my guess is 0

does the little O Canada jingle on government ads count? if so, it's probably like, 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

pokeyman posted:

my guess is 0

Depends how big of a Radiohead fan you are