Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Video not loading

https://weirdtrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/china-ufos-space-expert-james-oberg-says-dont-jump-to-conclusions/

I t has pictures of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Aliens just seem like we're most psychological primed to believe as "scientifically feasible" over time travel.
I'm also a fan of weird unknown natural phenomenon like plasma balls and weird deep sea bubbles or some poo poo who knows.

I can also get down with jungian collective unconscious psychological something or other but I really don't know enough about psychology or pseudo-psychology to play in that space

since matter is never created or destroyed - maybe conscious already existed prior to the big bang - thus we're just projected out to whatever like tumbleweeds. maybe one day far far far in the future after our sun has gone supernova some of our matter will drift off and we'll seed a new population

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I came across this report yesterday, but it didn't really fit in the conversation that was happening but like, it's a handwritten letter from a woman in france of an encounter that happened to her grandfather and uncle in 1942 that disturbed them for life. It doesn't have to be aliens but why the gently caress would some woman in france track down and write to some obscure website in 2006 if it didn't leave a lasting impression over multiple generations in her family that predated widespread awareness of UFOs? Who's the joke supposed to be on?

Anyway,

quote:

Occurred : 11/7/1942 20:00 (Entered as : 11/07/1942 20:00)
Reported: 12/13/2006 5:46:31 PM 17:46
Posted: 12/14/2006
Shape: Disk
Duration:seconds or minutes
((NUFORC Note: We received this hand-written report from France, and we copy it here. We express our sincere gratitude to the person who submitted. We compliment her on her ability to write well in English, and on her penmanship!

U. S. Forces landed in northwest Africa in November 08, 1942. PD))

Dear Sir,

I have always heard that UFO sightings date back to the end of WWII, but I know about one that was witnessed by my own grandfather and 9-year-old uncle in 1942.

The place was Montagny, a small village in the centre of France. Time of the year: Autumn, the day before the Allies landed in North Africa.

It happened at night. My grandfather and uncle had gone out to a farm to buy potatoes, in spite of the curfew, imposed by occupying Germany.

They were in a hollow ((empty??)) lane, in the dark, when suddenly a thing, saucer-shaped, with a "window-like in a train compartment, started next to them from behind a hedge.

The thing hovered there for a moment, then went away at a tremendous speed, without making any noise. Planes were so noisy then that they made the ground shake, when there were a lot of them at a time.

You can imagine their fright! My grandfather died in 1975, but he still trembled and shook when he told that story. My uncle died a year ago, and he hated talking about it.

It is absolutely out of the question that my grandfather invented that story. Also, he told the family immediately, well before people started talking of U.F.O.’s.

He told the story to a distant cousin, who had been a colonel in the French army, but apart from that, the story has never been outside the family. My grandfather would not have like any publicity about it.

As he said, it could not be something immaterial because it made some dead leaves swirl on the ground.

It could not be a hallucination because they both saw the same thing.

Was it something human-made?... a German spy plane, or something like that? Maybe, but I have yet to see a saucer-like plane that moves without making a noise.

So, what was it? If you know, I’d be glad to know, too.

I don’t think many people saw that thing, because there weren’t many people wandering outside at night in Nazi-occupied France in 1942! (But if you heard about similar sightings, I’d like to know, too)

Yours Sincerely,

((name deleted))

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

when i hear governments coordinating together to release unknowns which they know implies aliens to people it makes me think they might be trying to pull some bullshit

so the US and China are running a coordinated UFO psyop now? No wait, they've been running it together since the 1940s? No wait they have actually been doing it since the 1500s?

that sounds kind of unlikely IMO

And for what? What they could they possibly stand to gain that they couldn't get in some other way that doesn't involve wacky UFO stories hurting their credibility?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Vomik posted:

since matter is never created or destroyed

matter is destroyed all the time dork

its energy that is conserved !! :mad:

e; okay well mass is destroyed all the time anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rah! posted:

so the US and China are running a coordinated UFO psyop now? No wait, they've been running it together since the 1940s? No wait they have actually been doing it since the 1500s?

that sounds kind of unlikely IMO

And for what? What they could they possibly stand to gain that they couldn't get in some other way that doesn't involve wacky UFO stories hurting their credibility?

They're getting back at the generations of UFO believers calling them "liars" and "sociopaths" by holding the football one last time only to lay out the sickest, global dunk on all of them

It's coordinate because everyone agrees "gently caress those nerds" the UN is gonna get in on it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also for the record that Ricky Gervais reddit clip has Sam Harris making the claim that military officials have reached out to him with help shaping the message of disclosure to minimize panic which is a hell of a loving claim
I have no idea who Sam Harris is but a quick wiki check makes him seem like an actual professional of some sort relative to Gervais

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Also for the record that Ricky Gervais reddit clip has Sam Harris making the claim that military officials have reached out to him with help shaping the message of disclosure to minimize panic which is a hell of a loving claim
I have no idea who Sam Harris is but a quick wiki check makes him seem like an actual professional of some sort relative to Gervais

if its the same Sam Harris then it's one of the new atheist guys who wrote books about how religion sucks and believers are stupid blah blah, iirc he's gravitated towards the right wing media circuit in recent years

certainly an interesting person to make a claim like that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

I'm loathe to post reddit/Ricky Gervais content but this is fairly fascinating if at all true
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/ntx0kv/sam_harris_goes_further_on_ufos/

an unfortunate physical limitation of the universe is the event horizon between me and clicking on a link with the name sam harris in it

it would take infinite time/energy for me to click that link

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

an unfortunate physical limitation of the universe is the event horizon between me and clicking on a link with the name sam harris in it

it would take infinite time/energy for me to click that link

If there's additional context throw it out there
Like I said I have literally no idea who he is save for the wiki article saying he's a pop culture psychologist/neuroscientist which would fit his claim but he also enjoys hanging out with gervais so I would not discount him being a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
the lol is that all this time the elite have assumed we'd be as freaked out by the possibility of unfathomable beings who could destroy us on a whim and the rest of earth is probably going to be like "space brothers, save us from the madmen who hold the knife at our throats"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

If there's additional context throw it out there
Like I said I have literally no idea who he is save for the wiki article saying he's a pop culture psychologist/neuroscientist which would fit his claim but he also enjoys hanging out with gervais so I would not discount him being a tremendous rear end in a top hat

he played the Rational Atheist Debatelord a lot with Andrew Sullivan and Ross Douthat

e: good choice if true though, my conservative-lite* roommate has mentioned listening to harris.

*im in one of the hippier parts of canada so he loves conservative talking points but is proud of impressing the libs at the office he cleans with how respectfully he treats trans people he manages because he just thinks actually treating people well should be natural

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Jun 7, 2021

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

omg i leave for a few hours to do irl poo poo and people are still arguing with d&d posts three pages later

the gift that keeps on giving

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Remember most creationists do not believe in aliens and, not thinking aliens exist is a neo-Christian belief where they think GOD chose ONLY EARTH in the Bible to have souls and LIFE. Therefore no aliens can exist, flat earth, etc, and that permeated into “only simple cellular life exists in space and only earth was chosen to have complex life, tanq” types, who unbeknownst to them were influenced by the crazy Christians.

The Vatican has protocols for sending missionaries to other planets if there are ever any found to have civilizations, but a later pope said that the current official position of the church is that grace as communicated by the New Testament is a uniquely human issue and would only apply to another planet if Jesus also visited there, in which case they would have their own mechanism for grace.

I like the space missionary poo poo better. I think the Mormons have something like that too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Vatican has protocols for sending missionaries to other planets if there are ever any found to have civilizations, but a later pope said that the current official position of the church is that grace as communicated by the New Testament is a uniquely human issue and would only apply to another planet if Jesus also visited there, in which case they would have their own mechanism for grace.

I like the space missionary poo poo better. I think the Mormons have something like that too.

Wouldn't aliens gently caress up the Mormons' "we all a get a planet thing"
especially if they can say "we've seen all the planets, no mormons out here bros"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The really funny thing is that Tolkien literally applied this line of reasoning to elves and dwarves.

He wrote extensively to his Bishop to make sure he wasn't accidentally violating some aspect of Catholic theology with LotR.

e: Mormons are all about space, a lot of fairly influential (and sometimes even good) sci-fi and fantasy is written by Mormons.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what if the aliens are mormons and thats where mormonism came from

:smugdon:

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
lol wheee just said eyewitness testimony isn't evidence lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ross DaouThot posted:

Nah we got had
Tilting at the phantoms of DnD posters

A little bit of space succ

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Rah! posted:

wanna hear the story of the aliens who liked some dude so they set him up with a sweet religion where he could marry a lot of chicks and put on a whole production number with gold plates and stuff for him on a whim

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat the UFO thread is splintering over the likelyhood of aliens

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rah! posted:

I think about this every day. This is the real Raelianism.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ross DaouThot posted:

Ok for fucks sake it’s aliens. They are 100% aliens you have convinced me. Now what the gently caress is there to talk about?

Why are they here? We don’t loving know.

How do they work? We don’t loving know.

How did they get here? We don’t loving know.

How long have they been here? We don’t loving know.

Where are they from? We don’t loving know.

Wow what a riveting debate and discussion!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ross DaouThot posted:

*laughs ruefully* i think you'll find that he's an engineer and so cannot ever, mathematically speaking, be proven wrong

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

Ok for fucks sake it’s aliens. They are 100% aliens you have convinced me. Now what the gently caress is there to talk about?

Glad you're coming around. Now pick up a complimentary John Keel book and grab a chair.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wouldn't aliens gently caress up the Mormons' "we all a get a planet thing"
especially if they can say "we've seen all the planets, no mormons out here bros"

Are the planets supposed to be on this plane of existence? That would be lovely, because what if someone else’s planet gets more advanced and sends colonists?

I thought it was more of a “everyone gets to play monotheistic god for their own captive human population” where it would have to be a different universe without anyone else.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Azathoth posted:

*laughs ruefully* i think you'll find that he's an engineer and so cannot ever, mathematically speaking, be proven wrong

The guy literally one post above you has spend pages arguing that UFOs are aliens.
Can you even image how that discussion would go down at CERN?

Boss, good news, we can throw out general relativity! We're all getting Nobel prizes!

Good god! Do we have five sigma confirmation of quantum gravity from the LHC?

No, we got some blurry ir videos of a UFO!

Good enough for me, wrap it up boys!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wheeee posted:

they took our jerbs :xd:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Wheeee posted:

the really important questions

would you gently caress an alien

can they make us look like our fursonas

do you think they'd mind ending capitalism as a favor

how many new types of genitals do you think we'll get to think about sucking/loving

do space drugs work on humans

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And you may find yourself living in an emergency bivouac
And you may find yourself on another gaseous planet
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large saucer
And you may find yourself in a beautiful pod, with a beautiful replicator unit
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bideo James posted:

Imagine this scenario: you're outside

Absolutely not

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

And you may find yourself living in an emergency bivouac
And you may find yourself on another gaseous planet
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large saucer
And you may find yourself in a beautiful pod, with a beautiful replicator unit
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

chef kiss

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They're coming back for more scalps and they will get them

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Wheeee posted:

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

yes, this poo poo being put out there as real evidence of something could prove an avenue to explore in terms of new ways of looking into the question of alien life.

or it could be something else entirely. its just that the ready answers like foreign or private tech seem just as unlikely at the moment

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Wheeee posted:

they're not, real old robotic probes my dude

also tabby's star, the wow signal, oumuamua... the more we look as the years go by the more consensus is likely to shift

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

yes, this poo poo being put out there as real evidence of something could prove an avenue to explore in terms of new ways of looking into the question of alien life.

or it could be something else entirely. its just that the ready answers like foreign or private tech seem just as unlikely at the moment

he's quoting DnD posts from the space thread. That's the bit

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

he's quoting DnD posts from the space thread. That's the bit

oooh

oh well i still had fun answering lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsyoUZW9vE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

The guy literally one post above you has spend pages arguing that UFOs are aliens.
Can you even image how that discussion would go down at CERN?

Boss, good news, we can throw out general relativity! We're all getting Nobel prizes!

Good god! Do we have five sigma confirmation of quantum gravity from the LHC?

No, we got some blurry ir videos of a UFO!

Good enough for me, wrap it up boys!
lol that you are so scared of being wrong that you can't not post here. i get that it's scary that you might not understand the world as well as you think you do, but come and sit in the mystery with us for a while, it might actually make you less dull