Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Azathoth posted:

lol that you are so scared of being wrong that you can't not post here. i get that it's scary that you might not understand the world as well as you think you do, but come and sit in the mystery with us for a while, it might actually make you less dull

he's quoting dnd

so, like, you're not wrong, but instead it's dnd posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
since it was fun talking to emptyquoted d&d posts i hope some d&d folks will chill a bit and come discuss how many dicks we hope aliens could have

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
reading Mirage Men, and it rocks. CIA in the 50's were like, "Man, we have no loving clue what these things are, but what we do know is they can be weaponized for psychological warfare purposes."

so, UFO's real, no idea what they are, but could be deployed in media for fun and exciting ways of loving with the population or rooting out potential spies.

also, there was literally a point where Air Force denial was actually getting in the way of the Air Force investigating and identifying potential terrestrial threats, such as from the Soviet Union, which reminds me of some of the arguments being thrown around in this thread as to why they've started up the UFO media blitz again.

Now the classic Roswell-style aliens poo poo? THAT's a psyop, but it doesn't change the fact that UFO's are real and loving weird, man. well except the ones that were actually just like U2 spy plane sightings or whatever, but they convinced entire generations to look to the skies so it's no surprise those got spotted and misidentified.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
an alien that is nothing but cocks was once called "hentai," but now they are known as our beloved brothers from the phallus maximus system

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

since it was fun talking to emptyquoted d&d posts i hope some d&d folks will chill a bit and come discuss how many dicks we hope aliens could have

No they can stay there, the last d&d poster in here decided they were being gaslit by regular-rear end conversation

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Log082 posted:

he's quoting dnd

so, like, you're not wrong, but instead it's dnd posters

oh that's a lot less fun

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They are either going to be completely weirded out by our sex stuff or totally into it and ready to deploy their ovipositors or whatever

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

WEH posted:

No they can stay there, the last d&d poster in here decided they were being gaslit by regular-rear end conversation

d&d brain, you hate to see it folks. i'm hearing that there are many cases; many such cases like this one.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Inspector Hound posted:

They are either going to be completely weirded out by our sex stuff or totally into it and ready to deploy their ovipositors or whatever

wait- the aliens, or d&d posters?

:grin:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

wait- the aliens, or d&d posters?

:grin:

I get the feeling there's not a lot of ovipositor deployment over there

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

u already posted this one lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Inspector Hound posted:

I get the feeling there's not a lot of ovipositor deployment over there

i dunno, uptight people can be surprisingly kinky

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Wheeee posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer with a very good understanding of thermodynamics

lol I definitely think its aliens now

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

they probably just grow clones and think its hilarious and weird and gross how we bump our meat flaps together in order to reproduce

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

we keep asking "Even if aliens are real, why is earth special?"

well it turns out we're unique so far in the galaxy because we'll gently caress ANYTHING. the aliens have been holding off on contact until their society was ready for us to be around, 100% always down to gently caress, but they've spent the last few decades getting there and now they're ready for us. disclosure is coming soon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Rah! posted:

they probably just grow clones and think its hilarious and weird and gross how we bump our meat flaps together in order to reproduce

it'd be all sorts of weird poo poo; we will listen in awe to a performance of the piscean song of spawning and wonder longingly at the remelding of the liquid ones

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, right, they're gauging horniness

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And you may find yourself living in an emergency bivouac
And you may find yourself on another gaseous planet
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large saucer
And you may find yourself in a beautiful pod, with a beautiful replicator unit
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And you may find yourself living in an emergency bivouac
And you may find yourself on another gaseous planet
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large saucer
And you may find yourself in a beautiful pod, with a beautiful replicator unit
And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Victory Position posted:

ah, right, they're gauging horniness

yeah we were concerned about how hot things were getting on earth

oh you mean climate change yeah we're really glad you gu-

oh no, we mean that you're all incredibly horny and alienated and need some lovin'

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah we were concerned about how hot things were getting on earth

oh you mean climate change yeah we're really glad you gu-

oh no, we mean that you're all incredibly horny and alienated and need some lovin'

in the face of death, you still gently caress? and for nothing? even while you and your whole species dies?

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Log082 posted:

my favorite thing is all of the people that loudly and vehemently insist that the size of space makes it impossible for any alien spacecraft to have arrived here

Smarter people than me have run the calculations (though I've done it myself in a back-of-the-envelope kind of way)

If you posit that you're looking at a von Neuman probe system, replicating itself and spreading over the galaxy for science or reconnaissance or for alien reality tv beamed back at c, they could spread over the entire galaxy in about 500,000 years, no magic drives needed. We could build a system like that almost today; I think we're lacking sufficient automated self assembly systems to replicate, but that's not something couldn't develop or that doesn't have a clear engineering and research line from our current understanding of technology.

It's also a rather neat resolution to Fermi's paradox, in the sense that if this is the case, there is no paradox. Instead of trying to decide between life being common and mysteriously absent, or so uncommon we're the only example... it would turn out that life is common and it's here already, we just haven't realized.

self replicating probes travel 20% light speed?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
q: so uh, man and women, only two genders anywhere right?

a: the akashic archives contain knowledge of over 10^80 distinct genders

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Victory Position posted:

in the face of death, you still gently caress? and for nothing? even while you and your whole species dies?

tbh i think even mice do that

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ross DaouThot posted:

eh, we have theoretical drive designs now (mostly various nuclear engines) that could make it up to low percentages of c. If you don't like that though just tweak the numbers slightly. On a galactic scale, a few millions years isn't poo poo.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

the aliens are in our neighborhood and only want hot psionic sex. your mind will literally be blown

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Bullfrog posted:

the aliens are in our neighborhood and only want hot psionic sex. your mind will literally be blown

the truth of the mind layers was too spicy for gygax to reveal so he changed them a bit

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
me and Bigfoot are gonna gently caress the aliens

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
it's extremely funny to me that we have official records from different source and different countries corroborating that we have seen objects defying the laws of physics as we know it, and yet you have self proclaimed "scientists" and "engineers" breaking down the walls sweating angrily at the possibility of people excited to do science and research something new and unknown. let's research this and find out what the phenomena is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Popoto posted:

it's extremely funny to me that we have official records from different source and different countries corroborating that we have seen objects defying the laws of physics as we know it, and yet you have self proclaimed "scientists" and "engineers" breaking down the walls sweating angrily at the possibility of people excited to do science and research something new and unknown. let's research this and find out what the phenomena is.

yeah, like even if you get worked up about the most mainstream possible science you're at least looking at a big increase in funding for research into exotic atmospheric weather phenomena

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ross DaouThot posted:

totally doable with hypothetical drives of various sorts

but my favorite interstellar probe system proposal uses a huge local laser battery to accelerate super low mass lightsail probes up to ~90% of the speed of light, with just a few minutes impulse!! we could send out hundreds a day in all directions if we felt so inclined...

granted, once they arrive there's only gonna be a few hours transit time to take any data, but hey it's a workable idea. probably our most feasible one currently

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

We are extraordinarily special, generating intense interest and ongoing observation from dozens of civilizations as humanity shatters the existing galactic scientific consensus on the lowest possible level of intelligence required to develop technology

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Popoto posted:

they wont until whatever is going on boops them on the nose

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Wheeee posted:

We are extraordinarily special, generating intense interest and ongoing observation from dozens of civilizations as humanity shatters the existing galactic scientific consensus on the lowest possible level of intelligence required to develop technology

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Wheeee posted:

okay u found a good one

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

hey zorlax, the piss apes figured out how to make nukes lol

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Wheeee posted:

i mean, that's a given.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Wheeee posted:

no, the Fahahfqri of the Taurus Nebulum have you beat there too. Humanity only excels in tightening screws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The aliens buzzing sensitive military groups are conducting the equivalent of the Disney filmmakers driving the lemmings over a cliff to film them owning themselves