Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

You could probably get away with just rinsing it off prior to bagging for sous vide. This is what you do for making bacon/pancetta and they come out fine. It’s not like the cooking process is leeching all the brine out of the middle anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

you should soak your corned beef a couple hours and change the water if you're boiling imo. ive never corned a beef sous vide before but id definitely give the cut a couple hour soak prior to bagging it up. heck, id maybe even go four hours with a water change or even overnight

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

:thunk:

:catstare:

:catstare:

:goonsay:

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Jun 5, 2021

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

:supaburn:

turns out the thermostat on that thing was off by at least 50 degrees lmao

i'd post more pics but imgur also refuses any more uploads from me so :rip:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
did you fry them or what, the suspense is killing me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
lentils for lunch

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I need to get one of these. My mom had one, my mawmaw had one, they're great for making fried okra and cube steak and stuff like that

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

sardine banh mi is my new jam

matchstick one daikon radish and 7ish carrots and stuff them in jars
dissolve 1 cup of sugar in 2 cups of hot water then add 2.5 cups of vinegar
fill jars with solution and stick in the fridge for a couple days

some kinda crusty bread like baguette or french bread with a little mayo
spread a can of sardines on the bread
add sliced cucumber, tomato, pepper, pickled daikon and carrot and cilantro

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:hmmyes: I like where this looks to have went. Especially that rosemary.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

modesty has no reckoning for this. I have reinvented vinaigrette

ingredients:

fish sauce
reduced red wine vinegar
dijon mustard
garlic
black pepper
vegetable oil

simmer some vinegar until it's about 2/3 to 1/2 the volume it was. it sounded crazy to me too. the process will fume up your kitchen and the result will be pretty acidic.

using a jar with a lid you can screw on tight, mix roughly even parts of fish sauce with reduced vinegar. get the mix down to your liking. add as much garlic (chopped, coarseness doesn't really matter too much) as you like, a little bit of dijon (basically enough to make it cloudy and yellow and impart a bit of mustard spice), this too you can add incrementally to your taste. add in a little ground black pepper. add in an amount of vegetable oil roughly equal to everything else. put the lid on, shake and enjoy

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

did you fry them or what, the suspense is killing me

imgur's accepting my pictures again, so here's how they ended up

the temperature control on the skillet was not reliable, it kept getting crazy hot, so while they're edible, the crust is toast

i might have to invest in a proper fryer

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

after last night's chicken debacle, i decided to do better for breakfast

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i thought the chicken looked okay, but that's a beautiful breakfast, nice job!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
at work again. lentils for lunch.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Trying to decide if that's just bait to catch anyone trying to steal the secret recipe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Trying to decide if that's just bait to catch anyone trying to steal the secret recipe

nothing secret about these lentils. basically this but with MOAR beans....

https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-vegetarian-lentil-chili/

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

First time trying a chocolate babka wreath. Not as pretty as the recipe photos but it was drat tasty!

Fuck You And Diebold has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Jun 6, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
drat that babka must have been delicious, I'm not even a sweets guy.

Though I did randomly make sugar and lemon crepes the other day.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

We made homemade vegetable dumplings with shitake, cabbage, carrot, garlic scapes, green onion, and snow pea shoots from the garden. They were really good and we froze a bunch for later but I forgot to take a picture. It was my first time folding my own dumplings :)

thalweg has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Jun 6, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smythe posted:

That chili is some fantastic poo poo

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Smythe posted:

Smythe will give you the recipe but will never reveal the

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was planning on making some tortillas for dinner but as it turns out, you can't do that with masarepa so I made arepas instead and now I am eating one with strawberry jam
I don't regret the mistake

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smythe posted:

how many more beans

also what other modifications do you make

I always add a bunch of scorpion peppers because chili should be spicy and I like my food murderously spicy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m not paying $6 for imported chocolate hobnobs :mad:

i am harry has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Jun 7, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
god drat the serious eats redesign loving sucks.

a lot of recipes say "see note" and there's no note anywhere. sometimes the text of the description just cuts off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

a lot of recipes say "see note" and there's no note anywhere. sometimes the text of the description just cuts off.

The whole page is the note.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

turn on your monitor

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

i say swears online posted:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html

this is my overly-specific go-to. it's powerful, one bite goes a long way. more of a topping than an entree in itself

This post is from September of last year but I made this today and it's really good, definitely recommended, glad I bookmarked it, love the smell of toasted chilies

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

transplanted my red shiso and nibbled a leaf of it afterwards, man it is like mint and basil and cumin all rolled together in one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ajkalan posted:

This post is from September of last year but I made this today and it's really good, definitely recommended, glad I bookmarked it, love the smell of toasted chilies

it's the best chili. no beans, no tomatoes :smugdog:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fischtick posted:

Local pizza joint had a bottle of Bobby’s Boat Sauce in the tub o” sauces a while back. It’s local (PNW)! Quite a mix of flavors and heat, with a strong dose of fishy flavor. Good on a pizza crust, but it’s like all the flavors get turned on when you put it on a fried egg. Great on a hard boiled or deviled egg, too.

https://bobbiesboatsauce.com/

Hey thanks for turning me on to this, I am eating fried eggs with boat sauce right now and it is loving delicious.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Hey thanks for turning me on to this, I am eating fried eggs with boat sauce right now and it is loving delicious.

It's stupid good on eggs!

I've been thinking it might make a nice base for a "dressing" to toss some roasted Brussels sprouts around in, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Why didnt somebody tell me about tofu presses earlier, this is a whole new ballgame

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've recently found out that i don't hate gouda, since i finally tried some aged stuff. but this stuff was super old and had tons of crystals. if i buy an entire wheel of like 18-month aged, will it continue to get better if i just put it in the closet or fridge or something

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Greetings! Athanatos and I are running a C-SPAM feedback thread, and we want to make sure as much of the C-SPAM community as possible is aware of it, in case you want to give the site admins direct feedback on stuff.

Athanatos posted:

Hello CSPAM folks. Shine and I are admins here on SA and we need your help. Tell us about CSPAM! We want to hear good things, bad things, neutral things. I cant be a good admin and help with poo poo if I don't know about a place, so here I am. Things we'd love to hear about include:

• Threads that are great. Things that are funny or entertaining or informative. Why do you think as such?
  • People who deserve recognition for being great here and adding to the community. Forums are nothing without worth-a-poo poo people, who is under-recognized and deserves some props?
  • Things that loving suck in CSPAM. No place is roses all the time. What needs changed and WHY? What might not need a change per say...but is something you don't like.

This is your chance to write words about your home forum.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What are your thoughts on slow cookers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Felt like a sandwich, so made some focaccia for it

Griz
May 21, 2001

TheSlutPit posted:

You could probably get away with just rinsing it off prior to bagging for sous vide. This is what you do for making bacon/pancetta and they come out fine. It’s not like the cooking process is leeching all the brine out of the middle anyway.

I use instant pot for corned beef with just a pre-cooking rinse and it's great

beef onion garlic and spice packet for 70 minutes high pressure + 15 minute natural release, then cook the cabbage etc in the salty beef juice for 2-3 minutes and you have a shitload of food in under 2 hours

e: this is with 4 cups of water which completely covers the beef, there's a bunch of other recipes that have like 12oz beer as the only liquid and those have people in comments complaining that it's dry

Griz has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Jun 27, 2021

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Chocolate babka for a friend's birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

i say swears online posted:

i've recently found out that i don't hate gouda, since i finally tried some aged stuff. but this stuff was super old and had tons of crystals. if i buy an entire wheel of like 18-month aged, will it continue to get better if i just put it in the closet or fridge or something

I have no idea but A/T has an Ask a Cheesemonger thread now
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907467