Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Well, I ended up going with the Behringer Crave. Can't just jam it into a eurorack, but it still leaves me some of my initial budget to play around with or throw toward a future acquisition (and if I really like it and just can't live without mounting it, I can always sell it and upgrade to a Mother 32).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

magiccarpet posted:

The latest lie I tell myself is that if I buy used eurorack then it's actually an investment and will never lose resale value.

Until the module gets a revision :devil:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Well, I ended up going with the Behringer Crave. Can't just jam it into a eurorack, but it still leaves me some of my initial budget to play around with or throw toward a future acquisition (and if I really like it and just can't live without mounting it, I can always sell it and upgrade to a Mother 32).

I love my Crave, but I want to punch in the face whoever decided this was the synth they weren't going to make mountable.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Philthy posted:

I love my Crave, but I want to punch in the face whoever decided this was the synth they weren't going to make mountable.

One person makes ears for it and the person is in England and they cost $50 with shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274243382050

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow, Erica synths makes some wild stuff. I've been fooling around, taking first steps in vcv rack, trying out free stuff. I put the black wave table vco in, with what I thought was a simple lfo into the wave cv input. Then I wondered what kind of waveforms were coming out of this lfo? I put it on the scope, and had a look at what was putting out, while cycling the wave knob. The black octasource is :psypop:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

One person makes ears for it and the person is in England and they cost $50 with shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274243382050

Welp, that solves that problem. Thanks for that!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You little shits just made me buy a synth. 200 for a new Crave I lost all willpower.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i did a 'cover' of Dancers by Plaid with only synths I technically own, like Izotope Iris 2, a couple Arturia synths from the collection, and the rest is either Ableton instruments/samples or Max for Live, like the Karplus strong bit. https://soundcloud.com/djlanoi/plaid-dancers-cover/s-XHv2UPsWOfV

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
four 303-types/voices and one 606

or

three 303-types/voices and two 606

?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ok Comboomer posted:

or

?

The former? don’t usually see more than one drum machine, but multiple 303s can be crazy.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The latter, more hats means more power :sickos:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Who has a Microfreak? Tell me why it's cool or lovely.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

or

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIgMc67iicQ
:madmax:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

606 is twice as much as 303 therefore 2 of each is better than 3 303s

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

watho posted:

606 is twice as much as 303 therefore 2 of each is better than 3 303s

thats right

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Who has a Microfreak? Tell me why it's cool or lovely.

Total electronic music newb perspective: I just decided last week to buy my first synth and bought the Microfreak. It is both welcoming and deep; it has a ton of range and is easy for a beginner to start digging in and doing cool stuff. It has been a ton of fun and I can also tell I'm only scratching the surface. I'm adding a PO-33 for drums and random noises alongside and anticipate I'll be able to make a wide range of music with just those two pieces.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I love my Microfreak, the mod matrix is great especially with the 3 assignable columns. The only thing so far I found that I wanted to modulate but couldn't was the other day where I wanted to set the LFO to control the Arpeggiator rate which I couldn't seem to be able to do.
I got it just after the 3.0 update where they added 3 new engines, and I dig the way they can keep updating it like that.
Some of the settings can maybe be a little unintuitive at first glance on some of the engines ie on the Virtual Analogue one the first control needs to be at 50% to be in tune, not 0%, but this does make sense in its own way as it can detuned in either direction. Just threw me a bit at first.

The cycling envelope is also a cool idea, wherein it can either be an envelope or an LFO as required.

And its a great midi control surface.

I've seen reports online of glitches but I can't say I have encountered any.
The knobs maaaaybe feel a little loose in places.
Its a secret pad and percussion monster that sounds best through a delay or reverb, even very subtle ones make it come to life. It's quite dry on its own.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Synth thread I need your help! I noticed this listing in my local area and the description just says "old keyboards make an offer" and this single picture. Does anyone recognize any of these as something cool?

edit: I noticed the SK-1 sampling keyboard :eyepop:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 7, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah the SK-1, the PT-100 could be cool for certain vibes (thru a pedal chain for example), the one in the back is a vintage Yamaha, either a vss-30 or pss FM synth which are both coo. the sampler goes for a lot right now. not sure what the ones on the left are but the bottom left could be something cool. I would buy the lot for $100 maybe

some dulcet tones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivHinZmPmHI

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Rutibex posted:

Synth thread I need your help! I noticed this listing in my local area and the description just says "old keyboards make an offer" and this single picture. Does anyone recognize any of these as something cool?

edit: I noticed the SK-1 sampling keyboard :eyepop:

all of those are good candidates for circuit bending except the one with curvy speakers. I'd try 50$ for the lot minus the sk1, 100$ for the lot plus the sk1.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Voice of Labor posted:

all of those are good candidates for circuit bending except the one with curvy speakers. I'd try 50$ for the lot minus the sk1, 100$ for the lot plus the sk1.

He said they don't come with power adapters, so I offered him $50 for the lot and now the old keyboards are mine :haw: They are kind of gross and worn out but no serious damage. Lucky for me all of these things take batteries so I was able to test them and the SK-1 is working as intended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVwn-4I33UA

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

He said they don't come with power adapters, so I offered him $50 for the lot and now the old keyboards are mine :haw: They are kind of gross and worn out but no serious damage. Lucky for me all of these things take batteries so I was able to test them and the SK-1 is working as intended:

quality toots right there :buttfame:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My An1x took a knock and is now making horrifying crackling noises upon starting up. Sometimes it will boot successfully, but even light jostling will make the voices go all wacky. Apparently "virtual analog" also extends to "osc2 is out of tune on half of the voices, you figure it out."

I guess this is as good an excuse as any to open it up, it's needed some trimpot adjustments and fresh tact switches for a while now. I just hope I can restore it to full function, it's my fave synth and I play it every day :ohdear:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rutibex posted:

Ok my dude you are going to want to check out the keen on keys and 8 bit keys channels on YouTube they will show you how to clean them up and get them all perfect and poo poo really happy for you enjoy them

Also what models did they end up being? Specifically which yamaha was that :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok my dude you are going to want to check out the keen on keys and 8 bit keys channels on YouTube they will show you how to clean them up and get them all perfect and poo poo really happy for you enjoy them

Also what models did they end up being? Specifically which yamaha was that :)

Oh thanks! Yeah I want to get these things cleaned up and there are a few hairline cracks that I want to glue togeather. I have been looking at a bunch of circit bending videos and I think I may just have a new project. Adding patch points and knobs to these things to turn them into some kind of sound making monstrosity is exactly my jam. Half of them don't have audio output, but I assume that is one of the easier mods?

Anyway this is the full haul:

Casio
SK-1 Sampling Keyboard
SA-20 Tonebank
MA-101 Tonebank
PT-100 Electronic Musical Instrument
SA-65 Songbank

Yamaha
PSS-130 Portasound

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nice, yeah I would look into adding 1/4” jacks to the Yamaha and the PT100, would be a good easy project and make them really usable

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Laserjet 4P posted:

So a little backstory ...

<snip>

However, do not let me take away from your enjoyment - for instance while PhasePlant is theoretically better than both, I don’t use it as much because I don’t have the full suite of effects. Should’ve done the monthly thing I guess. Serum gelled really well with me and Vital even better and arguably the both have a good deal of overlap. I need more wavetable synths like I need a hole in my head, but if I could keep only one, it would be Vital. YMMV.

I really appreciate that you took so much time to inform me. I'm trialing PhasePlant right now and really impressed with it, to the point I'm thinking I'll switch from Serum rent to own to Kilohearts sub. Still sticking with Vital, too, it's been really great to work with.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 8, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

watho posted:

i have an MPK mini and while i don’t regret the money i spent on it i really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. the keybed just sucks to play with

Yeah this. I got one for a very narrow desk, and it was just barely ok just for capturing notes. The keys don't even have pivots - they're literally just bendy plastic.

That said, I just remembered I had it the other day, and let my 7-month-old play with it for a bit, driving an orchestral horn section.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Agreed posted:

I really appreciate that you took so much time to inform me. I'm trialing PhasePlant right now and really impressed with it, to the point I'm thinking I'll switch from Serum rent to own to Kilohearts sub. Still sticking with Vital, too, it's been really great to work with.

i absolutely adore phase plant, it is my go-to for more out there stuff. it is more work to get going than with serum or vital for instance but you can get truly bonkers with it. something that might not be straight forward if you aren’t up to date on how digital synthesis works is that in order to get stable FM you want to modulate phase, not pitch.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
drat looking at all those casios and the yamaha reminded me of the incredible sounding yamaha cs01, such a nice sound for a tiny synth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-5mrXmuZ4

and it's in this song at like 1:31 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqx2iFygmE

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Seeing as I now have a pc beefier than a lovely old laptop, if I just wanted the best subtractive/analog vst out there rather than something wavetabley etc, what would I be looking at? Is diva still the go to?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

Seeing as I now have a pc beefier than a lovely old laptop, if I just wanted the best subtractive/analog vst out there rather than something wavetabley etc, what would I be looking at? Is diva still the go to?

TAL J8
Softube Model 84
Synapse The Legend
Brainworx Oberhausen

Not sure if the MS20 emulation was surpassed yet but it shows what value for money Diva is. That said its modulation system could be improved to be more user friendly and I feel TAL sounds better in the JP8 department.

There is no “best” per se but for subtractive the question is whether you want obsessively authentic analog emulation or not.

I love the sound of RePro. Limited in the sense that modulation is faithful to the original but such a depth to the sound.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

TAL J8
Softube Model 84
Synapse The Legend
Brainworx Oberhausen

Not sure if the MS20 emulation was surpassed yet but it shows what value for money Diva is. That said its modulation system could be improved to be more user friendly and I feel TAL sounds better in the JP8 department.

There is no “best” per se but for subtractive the question is whether you want obsessively authentic analog emulation or not.

I love the sound of RePro. Limited in the sense that modulation is faithful to the original but such a depth to the sound.

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them all out! To clarify, I suppose I just want the classic kind of sound character, I'm not too worried about faithful reproduction of any specific synth or circuit modeling etc. Versatility, especially in the filter and modulation departments, is important to me. If I had to pick I'd say juno and the ms20 are my favourite analogs.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd deffo give Arturia Pigments a look, the analogue engine and filters in that are like a "best of" of all their emulations of classic stuff.

You can 100% ignore the wavetable/harmonic/sampler engines if you want to roll your own sounds. You'd be missing out though.

Also, everyone should have Tyrell N6. It's free and absolutely RIPS.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Rutibex posted:

Oh thanks! Yeah I want to get these things cleaned up and there are a few hairline cracks that I want to glue togeather. I have been looking at a bunch of circit bending videos and I think I may just have a new project. Adding patch points and knobs to these things to turn them into some kind of sound making monstrosity is exactly my jam. Half of them don't have audio output, but I assume that is one of the easier mods?

Casio

SA-20 Tonebank

I'd start with this. the basic gist of circuit bending is that you interfere with the data going to microcontroller or the clock for the microcontroller. the more discreet chips your thing has, the easier this is. when you open it up, note all the stuff that's written on the chips, look for datasheets for them. you'd be surprised how well documented a lot of 80/90s keyboard innards are. if you can identify the cpu and the rom(s) and find pinouts for them you'll take a ton of the guess work out of the process, if it's old enough even the ram will be discreet chips. your probe should have a resistor on it, I forget what the general suggested value is. find the amplifier section (the amp will be a common, easily searchable specialty opamp and may even have a heat sink on it), where the traces going to the speaker come from. leave it alone or treat it independently from the cpu/rom/ram. find the power supply (big capacitors, heat sinked power regulators, proximity to the power jack), leave it alone. it won't be dangerous to probe as the power is coming from a 9v adapter, but that's where you will find voltages such that damage chips.

probe away, if you can identify the i/o pins on the microcontroller and the address select stuff on the roms/ram that's a good place to start

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

watho posted:

i absolutely adore phase plant, it is my go-to for more out there stuff. it is more work to get going than with serum or vital for instance but you can get truly bonkers with it. something that might not be straight forward if you aren’t up to date on how digital synthesis works is that in order to get stable FM you want to modulate phase, not pitch.

I am just loving it, it makes total sense and is so easy to work with. I am having greater success making the sounds in my head with this, and going off on directions that lead me to cool new sounds too. I've been working on a patch today that has me just about ready to make a new track. I so love being able to have as many oscillators (uh... generators) as I want, freely assignable filters, and its effects lane system is awesome. Superb modulation capabilities, really intuitive modulator-of-a-modulator stuff in different ways (said as someone still figuring out how the Matrix works to do similar things in Vital, it is just drag and drop easy in PhasePlant). Parts of working with it even kind of remind me of Iris 2, which I really like warts n' all. I digress, PhasePlant is so cool, what a great recommendation that was.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 9, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'd start with this. the basic gist of circuit bending is that you interfere with the data going to microcontroller or the clock for the microcontroller. the more discreet chips your thing has, the easier this is. when you open it up, note all the stuff that's written on the chips, look for datasheets for them. you'd be surprised how well documented a lot of 80/90s keyboard innards are. if you can identify the cpu and the rom(s) and find pinouts for them you'll take a ton of the guess work out of the process, if it's old enough even the ram will be discreet chips. your probe should have a resistor on it, I forget what the general suggested value is. find the amplifier section (the amp will be a common, easily searchable specialty opamp and may even have a heat sink on it), where the traces going to the speaker come from. leave it alone or treat it independently from the cpu/rom/ram. find the power supply (big capacitors, heat sinked power regulators, proximity to the power jack), leave it alone. it won't be dangerous to probe as the power is coming from a 9v adapter, but that's where you will find voltages such that damage chips.

probe away, if you can identify the i/o pins on the microcontroller and the address select stuff on the roms/ram that's a good place to start

:hmmyes:
I guess I am lucky these are such old keyboards. The Yamaha has a patent date of 1974 on the back! I imagine newer keyboards have everything integrated into a single chip, making them less moddable.

But yeah I was going to do a bit of research before I just go to town with a set of alligator clips :v: One tip I got from watching circuit bending tutorials was to keep it battery powered and not connect it to mains power when futzing around with crossing inappropriate components. That seemed like solid advice.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'd deffo give Arturia Pigments a look, the analogue engine and filters in that are like a "best of" of all their emulations of classic stuff.

You can 100% ignore the wavetable/harmonic/sampler engines if you want to roll your own sounds. You'd be missing out though.

Also, everyone should have Tyrell N6. It's free and absolutely RIPS.

Yeah, Pigments rules, it's interface makes everything very readable and fast to use, if you just mess with some of the modulation/routing stuff on the patches then you'll quickly learn where everything is and how it works. But yeah I agree that the sampling and like granular/wavetable whatever stuff is just as good as the emulations of classic synths and is great at doing just real simple, but like, more utilitarian sounds, because of stuff like the emulation of the SEM filter, or the like 8 other styles of VCF they have in addition to the robust modulation capabilities.

And Tyrell N6 is def one of the better go to free synths for stuff like Juno pads or whatever, and also made by U-he, so if you like Diva then you'd probably like this as well.

Agreed posted:

I am just loving it, it makes total sense and is so easy to work with. I am having greater success making the sounds in my head with this, and going off on directions that lead me to cool new sounds too. I've been working on a patch today that has me just about ready to make a new track. I so love being able to have as many oscillators (uh... generators) as I want, freely assignable filters, and its effects lane system is awesome. Superb modulation capabilities, really intuitive modulator-of-a-modulator stuff in different ways (said as someone still figuring out how the Matrix works to do similar things in Vital, it is just drag and drop easy in PhasePlant). Parts of working with it even kind of remind me of Iris 2, which I really like warts n' all. I digress, PhasePlant is so cool, what a great recommendation that was.

it's like Iris 2, u say?? I haven't heard anything yet, or seen what the interface looks like, but I like the idea of that approach to FM, with similar UI or functionality to Iris. Also, I've been wanting to attempt to make sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G96TxjpZRBw
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yxVIMafKQ&t=131s

which is apparently (or the second track is basically just simple max patches and like a dry chain, but the first track sounds way too hosed to just be a rack Yamaha FM synth being played by a Max patch in real time, it sounds like it's a bunch of FM sounds being destroyed by granular synthesis or like run through some wild physical modeling thing, I have no idea, but it sounds very uh 'physical' or real) a yamaha FS1R receiving MIDI from Max/MSP and also loving with the parameters using Max, in real time, which is apparently difficult to actually do, or I guess a lot of DX synths will crash if it receives basically any control messages, and this is all obviously messing with the sounds in a very precise and dramatic way, so using one of those hardware controllers with 700 knobs on them wouldn't help.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

No, I should have contextualized that better. It isn't really like Iris 2 in many particulars, it isn't a nifty spectral editing sampler synth the same way or anything. (Unless I'm mistaken) it doesn't seem to feature something like the "RadiusRT" mode in Iris 2 that lets you pitch samples while keeping time, Iris 2 seems kinda unique from what I can tell (though, as a newer user of all this software maybe I don't know some tools). However, working with Iris 2 has had a lot of translation to this with regard to understanding how to hone in on specific elements of sounds. PhasePlant has very useful options for carving up the output of whatever generator, so layering filters and EQ a lot is possible and while it isn't the same level of precision as Iris 2 with regard to just, like, drawing what you want to play onto the spectrograph, it's awesome.

I feel you could create the right set of generators and modulate them in the right ways to make that sound. Certainly the fuzzed out glitchy on-the-verge-of-winking-out sounds are really doable, and interacting with that is a matter of layering the sound elements and setting up good controllers and macros to let you mess with the sound. I've been setting macros to do a particular set of things to the sound, also to interact slightly in modulating other macros, and also to have group control of all of them in different customized ways on the mod wheel to give both more precise and larger ways to mess with my sound. Which is really easy in Phaseplant, none of that is hard to keep track of or adjust with how it is all laid out and indicated.

Edit: \/\/\/ That's cool!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

most if not all synth sounds in this track i made a while ago is phase plant if you want a pseudo demo

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/rMUJL68aaQMCBHcD8