Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Seems very Joss Whedon, honestly.

yeah something like that, kind of. it's like Cage tried to make his own Whedonesque punchy fragile waifu, and the result is somehow even worse. probably cause it's based on a real person

e: oh no what a horrible snipe :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nurmie posted:

Like, I don't know what was going on behind the scenes and stuff, and I can look past the whole "people as written by a loving alien" vibe that permeates every single thing on the screen - in fact, if it was just this, it'd be the greatest so-bad-it's-good piece of art since The Room.

David Cage is French, but is very obsessed with making Hollywood-style, psychological supernatural/scifi crime thrillers, but in video game form. And he's not coming from a place where he feels he needs to research or consider anything beyond whatever American TV shows and movies he's absorbed knowledge of, unlike Swery65 and his team. It leads to a very dissonant setting and writing style that constantly breaks everyone's suspension of disbelief, when it's not downright creepy poo poo.

Even bits of the setting will be completely off like in Detroit, the lovely seedy drug house Kara's owner lives in has a toilet room and separate bathroom, when American houses almost always have both in the same room. Then there's in-game lore saying that the climate is so hosed that hurricanes are happening on the Great Lakes, and like, I don't know if Detroit or anywhere else around the lakes would be habitable if the temperature within the lakes was high enough to make hurricanes possible.

Anyway, if anyone wants more David Cage bullshit to suffer through the Super Best Friends did some other enjoyable complete LPs:

Omikron, which I think the all agreed was one of their best LPs after they broke up as a group a couple years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691RrF9pnaU

And two playthroughs of Detroit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvvT5NnhqY

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

since when is sepw so hot
always has been.

edit: this was in my recommends, it's very silly but I love it. a skilled rhythm game player made a custom controller out of bananas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzhXSw-lcjE&hd=1&t=3185s

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 7, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even bits of the setting will be completely off like in Detroit, the lovely seedy drug house Kara's owner lives in has a toilet room and separate bathroom, when American houses almost always have both in the same room.

He did exactly the same thing in Heavy Rain where Ethan's house had separate toilet and shower rooms. You'd think he would have learned his lesson after that one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when has david cage learned anything

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only contact I have had with Heavy Rain is Slowbeef/Diabetus randomly going off on a tangent about that game's plot during the Omega Ridley fight.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLsOd6YJ5P8&t=1036s)
And thats all I need.

muscles like this! posted:

He did exactly the same thing in Heavy Rain where Ethan's house had separate toilet and shower rooms. You'd think he would have learned his lesson after that one.

Its not as if this isn't a thing that can also happen in European homes either.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 7, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

David Cage is French, but is very obsessed with making Hollywood-style, psychological supernatural/scifi crime thrillers, but in video game form. And he's not coming from a place where he feels he needs to research or consider anything beyond whatever American TV shows and movies he's absorbed knowledge of, unlike Swery65 and his team. It leads to a very dissonant setting and writing style that constantly breaks everyone's suspension of disbelief, when it's not downright creepy poo poo.

yeah even disregarding all the creepy, gross poo poo and the clear lack of research going on, David Cage just fundamentally doesn't seem to be too curious about, well, people, it feels like. i know he's praised (or at least used to be, for a bit) as a great visionary and whatever. however, from what little exposure i've had to his stuff just now, when it's not gross it's just profoundly incurious - in this annoying up-its-own-arse kind of way

it's like, David Cage has got some Profound, Grand Ideas, and he has to construct all these elaborate Deep Narratives around these Ideas to explore them - all the while completely neglecting the fact that Profound, Grand Ideas don't exist in a vacuum and that people generally might just not work in a way that would have these Ideas make sense. David Cage doesn't really care about that - his Ideas is what is important; learning stuff about people and their lives and history and real life in general, and drawing inspiration from that can (and should) be neglected. It's a completely rear end-backwards way of writing, imo - and it's not just David Cage who is guilty of it, but he is a glaring example

anyway, sorry about Cage-posting, i haven't been this, uh, triggered, by a creator in a while and i just need to get it out of my system :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One of my favorite bits of Heavy Rain is just how french gremlin the children in it are, they couldn't even begin to hide their accents.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god, i love how miserable/bored they look.

nurmie posted:

I think I found my new least-favourite Big-Name Game Auteur dude.

Like, I don't know what was going on behind the scenes and stuff, and I can look past the whole "people as written by a loving alien" vibe that permeates every single thing on the screen - in fact, if it was just this, it'd be the greatest so-bad-it's-good piece of art since The Room. What really made it unbearable this sense of subtle grossness in the way it treats the main character. Idk, maybe I'm seeing things, but I got these really bad, almost groomer-like vibes from it, to the point of physically shuddering a couple of times. The way it's all written and presented; the way the narrative seems to low-key get off, almost, at putting Elliot Page's character in uncomfortable, awkward, humiliating, painful situations, pushing past their consent and watching them suffer while *pretending* to be sympathetic; the way how all of this seems accidentally-revealing to boot, without any reflection or self-awareness or intent on behalf of the writer - I don't know, it all just adds up to a pretty ugly picture. I was hoping for something more funny, i dunno :smith:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even bits of the setting will be completely off like in Detroit, the lovely seedy drug house Kara's owner lives in has a toilet room and separate bathroom, when American houses almost always have both in the same room. Then there's in-game lore saying that the climate is so hosed that hurricanes are happening on the Great Lakes, and like, I don't know if Detroit or anywhere else around the lakes would be habitable if the temperature within the lakes was high enough to make hurricanes possible.

Anyway, if anyone wants more David Cage bullshit to suffer through the Super Best Friends did some other enjoyable complete LPs:

Omikron, which I think the all agreed was one of their best LPs after they broke up as a group a couple years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691RrF9pnaU

And two playthroughs of Detroit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvvT5NnhqY

with Cage and other weird europian "artists" like him, i always think of this cartoon RLM made in their pre rlm early days. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xtclr basically some sad dumb weird rear end in a top hat who doesn't get what makes a good movie/video game or story. like all of his games have cool premises but they always end up being loving horribly written and weirdly edgy and over the top.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 7, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This is totally unrelated to everything else, but I will always be astonished that Ethan was supposed to have a supernatural connection to the Origami Killer and then they just cut that entire plot element out wholesale so in the final product there's no explicable reason at all for why he blacks out all the time and wakes up holding an origami crane.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
e- Replacing a nonsense joke with content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOR9ZvMymWc

Mother's Basement talks about a cool new anime coming out called To Your Eternity. It's not a harem or romcom full of anime bullshit he's become immune to, so he's got some worthwhile things to say about it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2021

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

davidspackage posted:

David Cage's First Game is notorious for being kind of terrible and trying a lot of things that don't work, plus for him somehow roping David Bowie into doing a soundtrack and playing a character. I've been meaning to show off all its ugly details for a while, and today's the day. I play through the whole game, apply some aggressive editing to cut out the tedious parts, and do silly voices for the various characters you can inhabit to keep things from getting too dull.

Let's Play Omikron: the Nomad Soul!

There is a LP of Omikron: the Nomad Soul in Let's Play! right now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cugel posted:

There is a LP of Omikron: the Nomad Soul in Let's Play! right now.

Considering the track record of Omikron LPs actually being finished (There have been a ton of abandoned ones), its probably better to watch one that has already been finished. Supergreatfriend did one.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hard to believe the industry's reputation is... Still fallin'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Even though I'm still enjoying the guests slowbeef brought with him, I'm sad that Diabetus didn't stick around for the RE8 streams.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So I've never been super familiar with David Cage or his work, so I have to ask: How did he get where he is? His only work in the video game industry prior to forming Quantic Dream was as a musician, he's usually just credited as a "director" on the games he's created at QD and he doesn't seem to have any programming or technical credentials? I'm assuming he comes from money and just sort of bought his way into being a visionary game developer, but his Wikipedia page gives absolutely no information on his life prior to 1993 except that he was born in Mulhouse.

It feels like he's a realization of what embarrassing teenagers think being a game developer is all about: Having big ideas for games despite not having the qualifications to do any of the actual, practical work that goes into game development.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veotax posted:

Please enjoy this stage demo David Cage gave for Heavy Rain in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MOJJ5dLdk

Sweet jesus, that's sure something. :yikes:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

KingKalamari posted:

So I've never been super familiar with David Cage or his work, so I have to ask: How did he get where he is? His only work in the video game industry prior to forming Quantic Dream was as a musician, he's usually just credited as a "director" on the games he's created at QD and he doesn't seem to have any programming or technical credentials? I'm assuming he comes from money and just sort of bought his way into being a visionary game developer, but his Wikipedia page gives absolutely no information on his life prior to 1993 except that he was born in Mulhouse.

It feels like he's a realization of what embarrassing teenagers think being a game developer is all about : Having big ideas for games despite not having the qualifications to do any of the actual, practical work that goes into game development.

iirc he wrote the story of his first game, used his musician money to hire a team to actually code it and has just sorta rolled on since then. Conceptually not all game writing positions require coding experience, but "he basically bought his way into becoming a game director" isn't wrong.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Matt Baume: John Waters & the Trinity of Trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRDqHzFDQv4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nurmie posted:

yeah even disregarding all the creepy, gross poo poo and the clear lack of research going on, David Cage just fundamentally doesn't seem to be too curious about, well, people, it feels like. i know he's praised (or at least used to be, for a bit) as a great visionary and whatever. however, from what little exposure i've had to his stuff just now, when it's not gross it's just profoundly incurious - in this annoying up-its-own-arse kind of way

it's like, David Cage has got some Profound, Grand Ideas, and he has to construct all these elaborate Deep Narratives around these Ideas to explore them - all the while completely neglecting the fact that Profound, Grand Ideas don't exist in a vacuum and that people generally might just not work in a way that would have these Ideas make sense. David Cage doesn't really care about that - his Ideas is what is important; learning stuff about people and their lives and history and real life in general, and drawing inspiration from that can (and should) be neglected. It's a completely rear end-backwards way of writing, imo - and it's not just David Cage who is guilty of it, but he is a glaring example

anyway, sorry about Cage-posting, i haven't been this, uh, triggered, by a creator in a while and i just need to get it out of my system :smith:

people liked comparing cage and yoko taro during detroit, but i prefer kojima comparisons personally

david cage is so incurious that he cannot be bothered to learn how a bathroom works. kojima, if anything, understands bathrooms too well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cage's near-complete obliviousness on every subject from home construction to climate to economics to basic human interaction, combined with the production values of his last three games, lends them a deeply uncanny atmosphere. i would compare them to museum exhibits on humanity created by aliens or something, but even that doesn't work because the only definite "thumbprint" cage leaves on his work is fetishistic - women in underwear, women being beaten, women in bathrooms, women in underwear being beaten in bathrooms

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the best thing david cage did was the dlc to heavy rain where you can take a chainsaw to a serial killer’s balls

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the msot remarkable thing about cage games to me is always how lovely the cutscenes are when theyre supposed to be the main draw. kojima is also a space alien but he knows how to get good mocap and where to put the camera

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
did cage direct that one game where there's a chase scene filled with quick action prompts but if you just intentionally fail them all it becomes the funniest thing in the world

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

the msot remarkable thing about cage games to me is always how lovely the cutscenes are when theyre supposed to be the main draw. kojima is also a space alien but he knows how to get good mocap and where to put the camera

yeah I was honestly surprised at how, uh, nothing-special Cage's cutscene direction was. There were quite a few games that came out at the same time or before Two Souls that were much better directed, better performed and better animated

Kojima, imo, tends to be a bit too curious about stuff, but at the very least the curiosity is there. also, imo, he's a much better gameplay designer and game director than he is a writer - MGS V for example has one of the tightest gameplay loops that i've ever encountered in that kind of games. which alone puts him head and shoulders above Cage

e: that is not to say Kojima gets a pass for his weird and gross obsessions. though at least his obsessions seem to be sort of juvenile in nature and stemming from Being Horny; whereas Cage feels much more groomer-like and with a side of Voyeuristic Humiliation Fetishist, which is arguably much more gross

nurmie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 7, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bleck posted:

did cage direct that one game where there's a chase scene filled with quick action prompts but if you just intentionally fail them all it becomes the funniest thing in the world
yes. he avoids actual fail states when possible which leads to poo poo like that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also if you want a weirdo game just play deadly premonition instead

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bleck posted:

This is basically every David cage game, from what I understand

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

nurmie posted:

yeah I was honestly surprised at how, uh, nothing-special Cage's cutscene direction was. There were quite a few games that came out at the same time or before Two Souls that were much better directed, better performed and better animated

Kojima, imo, tends to be a bit too curious about stuff, but at the very least the curiosity is there. also, imo, he's a much better gameplay designer and game director than he is a writer - MGS V for example has one of the tightest gameplay loops that i've ever encountered in that kind of games. which alone puts him head and shoulders above Cage

e: that is not to say Kojima gets a pass for his weird and gross obsessions. though at least his obsessions seem to be sort of juvenile in nature and stemming from Being Horny; whereas Cage feels much more groomer-like and with a side of Voyeuristic Humiliation Fetishist, which is arguably much more gross

Yeah the guy whose games story rely on someone making GBS threads themselves in every game doesn't have a humiliation fetish? Or when you get pissed on? Or when people constantly piss themselves in almost every game? Kojima is a lot of things and the guy who dares you to enter his magic forest is one of them.

Also I'd be wary of assigning too much of the gameplay design credits to Kojima himself, both the MGS2 making of documentary and the MGS4 podcast highlights how much of the games are made by the regular workers, even occasionally despite Kojima himself.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Hel posted:

Yeah the guy whose games story rely on someone making GBS threads themselves in every game doesn't have a humiliation fetish? Or when you get pissed on? Or when people constantly piss themselves in almost every game? Kojima is a lot of things and the guy who dares you to enter his magic forest is one of them.

that sounds more like a pee and poo fetish tbh, and i'm really not a fan of entering Kojima's magic forest, just to get that out of the way - however, he doesn't give me nearly as much of bad vibes as David Cage does. dunno, maybe he should lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

nurmie posted:

that sounds more like a pee and poo fetish tbh, and i'm really not a fan of entering Kojima's magic forest, just to get that out of the way - however, he doesn't give me nearly as much of bad vibes as David Cage does. dunno, maybe he should lol
all that needs to be said about Kojima and women is this: Beauty And The Beast Unit

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

all that needs to be said about Kojima and women is this: Beauty And The Beast Unit
Genuinely one of the worst things in a video game.

Yet Cage somehow tops it with the dummied out rape scene in Beyond Two Souls.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

nurmie posted:

He probably should, 4 has Snake constantly trying to look up womens skirts/down their dresses in important cutscenes, you can molest female enemies at gun point, the entire beauty and the beast unit. Was it Policenauts that let you molest every major female character? 5 had Quiet, the vagina bomb, child rape. PW had everyone being super into Paz when they thought she was a minor. There probably a lot more I'm missing.

There's a reason I think Survive is a breath of fresh air on that front, without Kojima, being creepy about women isn't really a part of it. The only exception really are DLC costumes, like the EVA / Boss ones which is ripped straight from 5.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This only reinforces my belief that Yoko Taro is the only good developer who's also a decent human being.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
kojima is just a run of the mill misogynist who makes funny games i like but david cage is very close to completing the macdonald triad

Captain Invictus posted:

its so bad. its like dumber and worse than anyone could have actually anticipated.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

Hel posted:

He probably should, 4 has Snake constantly trying to look up womens skirts/down their dresses in important cutscenes, you can molest female enemies at gun point, the entire beauty and the beast unit. Was it Policenauts that let you molest every major female character? 5 had Quiet, the vagina bomb, child rape. PW had everyone being super into Paz when they thought she was a minor. There probably a lot more I'm missing.

holy poo poo :stare:

ok, full disclosure, i've only played MGSV and a bit of Death Stranding, so i guess i've underestimated the creepiness of Kojima lmao

not to say there weren't any Weird Stuff going on in those two - however, it felt much more, well, juvenile and horny, i guess - as opposed to whatever the gently caress this is. maybe i'm misremembering, of course

still, Cage somehow feels worse tbh

nurmie fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 7, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MSG4 and Ground Zeroes were really egregious compared to most stuff before and since, but there is weird pervy poo poo in every game.

Though I think it is important to distinguish them because unlike Cage Kojima does not appear to have verbally abused employees or done any of the sexual harassment stuff that Cage definitely 100% did.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

nurmie posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

ok, full disclosure, i've only played MGSV and a bit of Death Stranding, so i guess i've underestimated the creepiness of Kojima lmao
the beauty and the beast unit is made up of female trauma victims with severe PTSD modified(iirc both body AND mind) into combat cyborgs and after you beat them you get to creeper cam their scantily clad bodies in a "special" mode(I can't remember entirely but I think they do sexy poses during it too) before they die

it is so so hosed

Revengeance only had Mistral's getting horny when plugging in extra arms into her spider backpack I think but outside of that was never creepy, which was extremely noticeable that kojima had little to nothing to do with it because I think every single kojima metal gear game since Solid had at least half a dozen incredibly creepy and misogynistic moments in them

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

um excuse me they dont do sexy poses in the camera mode until you play the anime music on the iPod™ please give the game some respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Hel posted:

There's a reason I think Survive is a breath of fresh air on that front, without Kojima, being creepy about women isn't really a part of it. The only exception really are DLC costumes, like the EVA / Boss ones which is ripped straight from 5.

of all the loving takes in this thread. jesus christ