Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol bertrand russell (big king dick math/logic pioneer) wrote a book The Problem of China in the 1920s (which, despite the title, is extremely complimentary of China, he basically thought China would be the future) and he thought one of the primary reasons differences between china and the west's historical trajectory was that greek mathematics didn't make it there.

also russell is kinda baller.

quote:

In 1962 Russell played a public role in the Cuban Missile Crisis: in an exchange of telegrams with Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, Khrushchev assured him that the Soviet government would not be reckless.[170][171] Russell sent this telegram to President Kennedy:

YOUR ACTION DESPERATE. THREAT TO HUMAN SURVIVAL. NO CONCEIVABLE JUSTIFICATION. CIVILIZED MAN CONDEMNS IT. WE WILL NOT HAVE MASS MURDER. ULTIMATUM MEANS WAR... END THIS MADNESS.[172]

quote:

In September 1961, at the age of 89, Russell was jailed for seven days in Brixton Prison for "breach of peace" after taking part in an anti-nuclear demonstration in London. The magistrate offered to exempt him from jail if he pledged himself to "good behaviour", to which Russell replied: "No, I won't."

quote:

In the King's Birthday Honours of 9 June 1949, Russell was awarded the Order of Merit,[164] and the following year he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.[75][90] When he was given the Order of Merit, George VI was affable but slightly embarrassed at decorating a former jailbird, saying, "You have sometimes behaved in a manner that would not do if generally adopted".[165] Russell merely smiled, but afterwards claimed that the reply "That's right, just like your brother" immediately came to mind.

recommend the linked book btw, really interesting to get a perspective from a big shot in the 1920s that didn't just view china as place to be exploited or feared and there are handy chapters you can skip to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Russell seems like he was a cool guy, or at least he came off that way when I read his History of Western Philosophy a while back. Didn't like Lenin though, but nobody's perfect.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Agrajag posted:

it seems to me that white guys in asia seem to have huge entitlement issues

white guys worldwide do

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Russel's story about meeting Lenin and he like practiced his german to get it down perfectly and lenin was like "let's just fuckin speak english" makes lenin sound like he had big dick energy

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TK9c-caEcw

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jun 6, 2021

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aus_Vence16/status/1400737258282438656?s=19

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I wanted to take that tweet even just a little bit seriously I think I would point out that the Chinese communities formed in those countries aren't exactly avowed communists, so trying to land a sick own by claiming that "Chinese are colonizers too" is going to alienate some very rich and right-of-center people

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Antonymous posted:

Russel's story about meeting Lenin and he like practiced his german to get it down perfectly and lenin was like "let's just fuckin speak english" makes lenin sound like he had big dick energy

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TK9c-caEcw

Huh, Lenin was a fan of dekulakization too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he doesn't miss

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"The next pathogen from China could be a civilization killer"
"civilization"

guess America has nothing to worry about then lmao

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

lol at someone eating a ban for being right about tiananmen square in the vtuber thread

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Julias is a hardcore lib and takes any sort of stance against western jingoist narratives as denialism

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

quote:

I don't understand why you felt going "Um, actually..." about the Tiananmen Square Massacre was a good idea, especially in the V-Tuber thread of all places. Even if your intention wasn't denialism of the crimes that occured in that time period in that area, your posts very much read as attempting to whitewash the horificness of the incidents associated with it and blame "sinophobia" for a lot of the backlash towards it.

Lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPt5CEBDFg5/

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Where is this ‘next pathogen’ thing coming from? And even if it did happen, it will be like the first time: Americans stop giving a poo poo as soon as they are inconvenienced and letting everyone die.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Oh boy another mod with a sus avatar

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

Oh boy another mod with a sus avatar

amogus

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Trash Ops posted:

lol at someone eating a ban for being right about tiananmen square in the vtuber thread

lol we have a vtuber thread?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
who or what is a vtuber

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh wait is it like that cartoon dog that plays a video game and says “eekum bokum”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

oh wait is it like that cartoon dog that plays a video game and says “eekum bokum”

pretty much

https://clips.twitch.tv/AlluringObeseClipsdadHeyGuys

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the world is changed. I feel it in the water, I feel it in the Earth, I smell it in the air. much that once was is lost - for none now live who remember it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Good thing I haven't looked at ADTRW in years.

LMAO

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jun 7, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Where is this ‘next pathogen’ thing coming from? And even if it did happen, it will be like the first time: Americans stop giving a poo poo as soon as they are inconvenienced and letting everyone die.

But did you see Statista put America #1 in best prepared for a pandemic

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This forum is too old to understand Vtuber. Whenever there is vtb drama discussion on the other sub, I don't understand half of the lingos.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Trash Ops posted:

oh man, i just read a few posts in that thread and that place is grim. it's like bts fandom x10 in terms of depravity

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1401715459825745931?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how the article briefly acknowledges that the three child policy announced last week almost certainly renders the new zenz paper unambiguously worthless without even having to dig into whatever dumb bullshit hes doing with the data but then continues to proceed to pretend as if his assumptions are still basically correct

ive also been noticing lately how the most recently cited genocidal birth rate data is always 2019 when the 2020 data surely must be available by now almost as if its being deliberately excluded since it doesnt match the pattern

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Algund Eenboom posted:

I'm going to kick your rear end bitch

A: you probably cannot, bitch
B: you certainly will not, bitch
C: even doing so would not prove me wrong about Sakai,
you pseudo left imperialist lackey bitch

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Jun 7, 2021

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1401804368748244996

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

love him :allears:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ok

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I wanted to take that tweet even just a little bit seriously I think I would point out that the Chinese communities formed in those countries aren't exactly avowed communists, so trying to land a sick own by claiming that "Chinese are colonizers too" is going to alienate some very rich and right-of-center people

Ah yes, Indonesia, the well-known Chinese ethnostate

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
calling the chinese in Indonesia colonizers is pretty gross considering what the ruling regimes have done to them this century

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

Ah yes, Indonesia, the well-known Chinese ethnostate

lol yeah. indonesia, the place where having a chinese name used to be illegal!

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/01/16/whats-in-a-name-chinese-indonesians-have-many-stories.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
[taps the thread title]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/07/china-blocks-cryptocurrency-weibo-accounts-in-judgment-day-for-bitcoin

quote:

China blocks cryptocurrency Weibo accounts in ‘judgment day’ for bitcoin

Mon 7 Jun 2021

China has stepped up its crackdown on bitcoin trading and mining, blocking a slew of cryptocurrency-related accounts on the Twitter-like Weibo platform over the weekend.

More actions are expected, including linking illegal crypto activities in China more directly with the country’s criminal law, according to analysts and a financial regulator.

Last month, China’s state council, or cabinet, vowed to crack down on bitcoin mining and trading, escalating a campaign against cryptocurrencies days after three industry bodies banned cryptocurrency-based financial and payment services.

Over the weekend, access to several widely followed crypto-related Weibo accounts was denied, with a message saying each account “violates laws and rules”.

“It’s a Judgment Day for crypto KOL,” wrote a Weibo bitcoin commentator, or key opinion leader (KOL), who calls herself “Woman Dr. bitcoin mini”. Her main account was also blocked on Saturday.

“The government makes it clear that no Chinese version of Elon Musk can exist in the Chinese crypto market,” said NYU law school adjunct professor Winston Ma, referring to the Tesla founder and one-time cryptocurrency enthusiast.

Ma, author of the book The Digital War, also expects China’s supreme court to publish a judicial interpretation soon that may link crypto mining and trading businesses with China’s body of criminal law.

The view was echoed by a financial regulator, which said that such an interpretation would address the legal ambiguity that has failed to clearly identify bitcoin trading businesses as “illegal operations”. All the rules against cryptocurrencies so far in China have been published by administrative bodies.

The Weibo freeze comes as Chinese media have stepped up reporting against crypto trading.

The official Xinhua news agency has published articles that exposed a series of crypto-related scams. State broadcaster CCTV has said cryptocurrency is a lightly regulated asset often used in black market trade, money laundering, arms smuggling, gambling and drug dealing.

The crackdown also comes as China’s central bank is accelerating testing of its own digital currency.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CPUSA is still a CIA front, right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1401544226865922055

quote:

Taiwan has accused China of blocking its efforts to reach a deal with BioNTech to import the vaccine co-developed by the German company and Pfizer. Beijing has said it is willing to supply vaccines to Taiwan, including BioNTech, through Chinese partner Fosun, and that the island’s government is to blame for putting politics above the lives of its people. Taiwanese law bans the import of Chinese-made medicines.

so uh am i reading this right or is this problem entirely because taiwan has a really dumb law written before the development of international pharmaceuticals and theyre refusing to change it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Some Guy TT posted:

so uh am i reading this right or is this problem entirely because taiwan has a really dumb law written before the development of international pharmaceuticals and theyre refusing to change it

idk but:

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/raam_beart/status/1400100795509403653?s=20
turning down 10 million WHO certified vaccines to own the tankies

im assuming it's politix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

I have been following the Taiwan vaccine saga for the last few weeks. Let me tell you what happened. This is disaster completely DPP's own making.

* The DPP deep state put their entire stock/the fate of the entire island on their own home grown vaccines in the beginning of the year (there were 3, weirdly all use the odd protein-based tech, which is like the US Novavax tech, one dropped out already; one if I read this correctly, was backed by Erik Prince's Blackwater money! And the last one (Gao Guan) was basically used by the insider to make mad money on the tw stock market)

* Now back to the Gao Duan vaccine, it has been pimped by Tsai's previous vice president (2016-2020) more than once. Its stock has risen like 13 times since last year; and then when the news other vaccine may come, it has dropped 5 days in a row. Its stock price is extremely fishy. This part is really not that big of a deal, because insider trading only make some rich people and DPP extra money, but the next part is a big problem.

* DPP has been actively blocking vaccine purchase for a long time because it would hurt Gao Duan stock price. Last year, they lowballed the initial Biontech contract from 20mil to 0.1 million, and the deal didn't go through. There was other back and fore but ultimately, a Chinese company became Biontech's stock holder before even Pfizer signed on board. Last month, when the Taiwan Covid confirmed cases blew up. Taiwan has absolutely no vaccine (compare to all the poorest african countries), they only had 2 batches total 700k AZ thru Covax, and got 150k Moderna early (5-6 mil Moderna is scheduled to deliver in August) and just last 2 days, 1.25 mil from Japan and 0.75 mil from US (only from the US donation to Covax, because US is too stingy to give more). So exactly how many they got now? About 3 mil jabs of AZ and Moderna and JJ, that's not nearly enough for 23 mil people. Why do DPP keep buying or asking for so little vaccines from outside, because they keep expecting their own protein based vaccine will pass phase 2 trail and can start offering them in Aug, that's why they keep pushing off other vaccine options. That's right, their own vaccine is still doing phase 2.

* What the DPP and Tsai didn't expect was, the Taiwan covid cases would blow up right now. People are dropping left and right. Yesterday there were 37 dead. but none off the 37 dead was from *yesterday*, they were all deaths from previous 1 week they just got around to confirm. That means the TW CDC is holding down the new death cases so the single day dead number would not exceed the Korea's highest number (40).

In the middle of this, last week Terry Guo of Foxconn offered to donate 5 mil Germany made Biontech vaccines himself, but the CDC said no with a bullshit excuse. Icing on the cake is a Buddhist NGO also offered to donate 0.5 mil J&J (which has zero relation to China), and they still said no! Let me repeat this part so you understand, nobody is offering Chinese Sinovax/Sinopharm to Taiwan, they are offering Germany-made Biontech and US -made Johnson to Taiwan, but the TW CDC said no (the excuse is too dumb for me to translate it. It's just bullshit).

It's basically a complete disaster. Taiwan went from the "model student" of fighting covid to one of the worst country in East Asia in just 1 month.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Jun 7, 2021