Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Finally got line on the BlackMax and went on babby's first baitcaster experience. After countless youtube videos, I had exactly zero birdnests or problems. It was pretty rad.

Pulled this little fella out as the first fish on the new rod. Very satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Nice looking fish! What did you catch it on?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ihop posted:

Nice looking fish! What did you catch it on?

Texas-rigged Zoom 5" Zlinky June Bug.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Finally got line on the BlackMax and went on babby's first baitcaster experience. After countless youtube videos, I had exactly zero birdnests or problems. It was pretty rad.

:neckbeard:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Nice fish!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bass day, sight fished them from my Nucanoe and snagged them on wooly bugger flies. Tons of fun and the big one is my biggest largemouth to date on any kind of tackle.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Hey guys,

I'm picking up a fishing rod today from FB marketplace. It's cheap. Only $20. I haven't fished in years and just need something to get back into the sport. Last time I bought a printer on FB market place the guy sold me a dud. How can I check the rod to make sure it's not broken junk?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

zaepg posted:

Hey guys,

I'm picking up a fishing rod today from FB marketplace. It's cheap. Only $20. I haven't fished in years and just need something to get back into the sport. Last time I bought a printer on FB market place the guy sold me a dud. How can I check the rod to make sure it's not broken junk?

If you post pics on the discord you'll probably have at least 3 people inspecting it in realtime.

But really, just make sure that the rod isn't missing any guide eyes, and check the guide eyes themselves to make sure that the inside parts that touch the line aren't nicked or abrasive. The rod itself should be free of visible cracks or damage. Check that the reel seat isn't broken. If it is a South Bend rod, don't even bother.

edit: reel seat, not rod seat

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Bow it until the tip touches the butt and if it snaps in half start throwing hands

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I attempted some fly fishing off the beach today. It was...challenging.

My main problem was the line instantly drifting past to my off hand side. The pickup was very difficult but once the fly was airborne it was "ok", not too windy.
Any tips for getting the fly off the water when it gets washed past you so quickly?

therunningman fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 7, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Any goons that visited Nokomis today, I am sorry. The goonmeet ended up being yard games in the shade instead since it was so toasty!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therunningman posted:

I attempted some fly fishing off the beach today. It was...challenging.

My main problem was the line instantly drifting past to my off hand side. The pickup was very difficult but once the fly was airborne it was "ok", not too windy.
Any tips for getting the fly off the water when it gets washed past you so quickly?
Throw a false loop and pull against that to pick up the line/fly.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Throw a false loop and pull against that to pick up the line/fly.

Also learn to haul/double haul.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Thanks for the suggestions! First time fighting a surf like that

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I finally wore out that Okuma saltwater spinner I've been using weekly for about 3 years. I'll take that for as cheap as it was. I was looking for a new mate for the 7'6" Mojo Inshore rod and settled on a Penn Slammer III.

That same afternoon I put it to work and had action from about 5 casts in.

The nice thing about giving up alcohol is I'm not too drunk to fish in the evenings after work and I can afford nice gear :D

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Farking Bastage posted:

The nice thing about giving up alcohol is I'm not too drunk to fish in the evenings after work and I can afford nice gear :D

You mean I'm finally not the only sober fisherman?

Just beware of the mental disorder that presents itself as "well I'm not drinking so I can afford to buy <item that costs 3-5x what I would've spent on alcohol in the same period>"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Always fish sober. :hmmyes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I simply don’t drink while I fish. My reflexes are already bad enough.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like the quality of your ice chest and your koozie are what make your trip successful or not in the summer time. Those yeti can koozies are well worth the money when it’s hot as balls out and your drink goes warm in a few minutes.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I don't fish completely sober, but mostly. Usually light drinking on the lake or boat, then drink more afterwards. I'm a giant, so American piss does nothing to me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I never fished drunk either. Especially on a microskiff.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sickening posted:

I feel like the quality of your ice chest and your koozie are what make your trip successful or not in the summer time. Those yeti can koozies are well worth the money when it’s hot as balls out and your drink goes warm in a few minutes.

When I fish I keep my balls comfortably cool with an ice chest and koozie. Doesn't everyone do this???

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Anyone ever fish the Florida Keys? I'm dangerously close to loving off and driving down there for a week or so with my Nucanoe, fish poles and an overwhelming urge to catch saltwater fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

charliebravo77 posted:

Anyone ever fish the Florida Keys? I'm dangerously close to loving off and driving down there for a week or so with my Nucanoe, fish poles and an overwhelming urge to catch saltwater fish.

I just tested out an ultimate with pedal drive and I’m on the list now. Hope I get a chance at one soon.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
This is a little late but I wanted to update you guys on my grand adventure into the world of Bowfishing. For those not in the know I'm a lifelong fly fisherman who grew up on the banks of the Colorado and Arkansas rivers up in the Rockies. I've been living in Northern California for the last fifteen years and for a while, bereft of the environs of my youth, have been determined to learn how to fish in the most frustratingly way possible, that is with a bow and arrow. Let me preface this with saying that I am no great archer. Up until a few weeks ago I had not held a bow since my Boy Scout days and they kicked me out in 89'.

Hence I made this post.

James Woods posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with bow fishing? I grew up fly fishing and have always wanted to pick up this sport and just ordered a cheap takedown recurve bow, fishing arrows and reel. Luckily I live a few blocks from an archery range and fly casting pond so I should be able to get some practice in before my first trip in a couplie weeks. Any pointers from other angler/archers?

Some douchbagery/useful advise later I posted this.

James Woods posted:

As promised I finally got my bowfishing rig and wanted to post some pictures and give my first range report.

This is the setup I have so far. It's a cheap Toparchery recurve takedown bow with a 40lb. draw. It came with six target arrows, targets, sight, guide, finger and arm guard, and counter balance weight for $50. The bow itself breaks down into three pieces that I can assemble in a couple of minutes with my bicycle Allen key. For now I'm not using the sight or guide as I'm told that bowfishing is more instinctive and don't want to rely on any aids.

The case set me back another $35 plus $8 for a MOLLE pouch to hold the reel. It holds everything I'd need at the range or in the field and is really comfy to wear when riding my bike. This was important because I live across the street from Golden Gate Park and wanted an easy rig to ride with to the archery range about a mile away. On top of that I got a decent archery glove and a tactilol quiver for the range.

The reel was $35 and while not the best on the market is a third of the price of anything else I could find. I looked up the reviews and after practicing with it a bit I'm fairly confident I can avoid any snags as long as I keep tension on the line. All in all the entire setup cost me less than $200.

I took it to the range today and shot about a hundred arrows at 20 yards and am happy to say that I only missed the target twice. I haven't shot a bow in almost twenty years but about halfway through my shooting session I was doing consistent 8" groups. That said I'll be amazed if I bag anything on my first trip.

My bowfishing arrows arrive on Thursday and I plan to try them out with rubber tips at the fly fishing pond nearby with permission from the old farts that frequent the place. I gotta say that my right arm and bicep are sore as hell after an afternoon of shooting but I plan to go at least three times a week before my first trip to get in shape. I leave for Lake Berryessa on June 4th for three days to hopefully bag some Carp or God willing a Trout or Salmon.

Since then I went back to the range three times a week like clockwork. Once the bowfishing arrows arrived I took the bow and reel to the range for a test with the tethered arrows. This was an unmitigated disaster. First off I learned that the slip knots I used to tether the reel to the arrow safety stop came loose under the extreme pressure of the bow on a heavy projectile. After I sorted that out my line snagged after every shot at 50'. I soon realized that the problem was that my bottle reel had too much line (300') and after shortening it to 75' the reel performed adequately if I held at at a admittedly uncomfortable angle while retrieving. After two more trips I tuned the gear in and was able to hit a 5" target at 50' consistently with a tethered overweight arrow that has no fletches.

My first test was a camping trip to Pleasure Cove at Lake Berryessa in Northern California. I'd picked a camp sight that was 10' from the coast and south of the nearest marina in hopes that I'd get to enjoy a quiet cove free of the wake of Waverunners. Then Global Warming reeked it's ugly head. On the two hour drive through wine country I noticed an unseasonable amount of brown out my window. I had lived in this area not long ago, but in a way a lifetime ago, and had never seen the hills of Petaluma and Sonoma so dry and lifeless save for the occasional corporate wine property that can afford to dig half way to hell to get water. It was a bad portent of things to come.

Upon entering the rocky dustbowl that was the private drive of the campsite it was clear that my Sport coupe BMW was not up to the task but despite the mechanical consternations that emanated below I soldiered on over every gargantuan pothole and mammoth speedbump. We made camp and were met with a horrifying realization. The lake was no where in sight. I made conversation with a local while getting firewood and he told me that he hadn't seen the lake this dry in 20 years. We pitched our tents and made camp in the desert like forest that still bore the scars of fires past. The dog was not amused.

We made camp despite the drought. My Mira was especially helpful in the frozen margarita department.

I swear by the Blendtech.

So after making camp I assembled my gear an realized it looked like I was going to have to slog through a mile of crag covered in newly grown thorns and sage brush.

Determined to vanquish my lovely sport I slogged on.

My fat old bearded rear end was going to go out into the wilderness and shoot arrows at puddles of mud.

So I ventured out along the crag. I quickly learned that it's easy to lose a shoe when the ground can suddenly envelop you the knee at a moments notice. The dog, who normally despises the water, couldn't get enough of rolling around in the mud.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP9mrIFB1XI/

I walked the barren coast and took pot shots at diminutive Carp to no avail. The one noteworthy fish I saw was a 2' trout that jumped in and out of the water a couple hundred feet out. Unfortunately out of range even in frustration. After three days of camping and going out at dawn and dust I came back empty handed.

The trip was not without it's wiles.

So all in all Fish - 1 Me - 0. Then again I had a great loving time and I'm heading to Clear Lake for round 2 weekend after next.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I'm glad you ignored the haters and went camping. You'll get them next time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Holy poo poo i used to visit the lake from time to time growing up in the Bay Area. Never seen it that low…

Time to get a paddle board to shoot from!

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Just picked up a 5wt 9' Orvis Encounter to start fly fishing with but need to ask a couple of things.

What size is the leader on this? I'm having trouble finding anything about it. Afraid to buy the wrong size tippet without knowing the size. Also, I'll be fishing in small streams around Appalachia next week so I was told to expect a lot of trout. Is it safe to go with dry flies or nymphs this time of year in folks experience?

Thanks! :)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not sure about the set up but my go to in those streams was 4x or 5x floro tippet. Lots of stuff hatching right now so a generic dry like a parachute adams should get you there, hares ear nymph if theres decent pools. Or.....a foam beetle. If the 17 yr cicadas are still in that area thats what theyve been gorging on i bet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Today, I was a cockhair away from relaxing and doing nothing but the weather was unexpectedly beautiful in spite of a nonstop rain forecast--so I grabbed my poo poo and ran out to the ponds in my neighborhood for about an hour and a half and thank gently caress I did! Best day bass fishing I've had yet.

Pulled this guy up on my second cast--not a big fish, but fought admirably..

Proceeded to catch the biggest bass I've ever caught maybe ten minutes later.

Oh poo poo, another one the same size!

Then this baby boy...

Then finished up with my third about the same size as the two bigger earlier ones.

Hookset gave me fits on this one--took some real effort to get him unhooked--he tried to swallow the whole loving thing.

Had another few big bites where they just ripped my worms in half aggressively. Just caught them in the right mood today with a little green pumpkin with green/purple flake stick baits.

gently caress yeah!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Nice, that's great you have that kind of fish in your neighborhood ponds!

Liquid Banjo posted:

Just picked up a 5wt 9' Orvis Encounter to start fly fishing with but need to ask a couple of things.

What size is the leader on this? I'm having trouble finding anything about it. Afraid to buy the wrong size tippet without knowing the size. Also, I'll be fishing in small streams around Appalachia next week so I was told to expect a lot of trout. Is it safe to go with dry flies or nymphs this time of year in folks experience?

Where are you fishing, out of curiosity?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Today, I was a cockhair away from relaxing and doing nothing but the weather was unexpectedly beautiful in spite of a nonstop rain forecast--so I grabbed my poo poo and ran out to the ponds in my neighborhood for about an hour and a half and thank gently caress I did! Best day bass fishing I've had yet.

Then this baby boy...

Then finished up with my third about the same size as the two bigger earlier ones.

Hookset gave me fits on this one--took some real effort to get him unhooked--he tried to swallow the whole loving thing.

Had another few big bites where they just ripped my worms in half aggressively. Just caught them in the right mood today with a little green pumpkin with green/purple flake stick baits.

gently caress yeah!

This is the good poo poo

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

Planet X posted:

Where are you fishing, out of curiosity?

Around Cranberry River in WV.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Liquid Banjo posted:

Around Cranberry River in WV.

Nice. Here a good article on WV trout streams.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/west-virginia-trout-streams/152917

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Man that's way in there

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Liquid Banjo posted:

Use a 7.5' 4x leader and buy 4x, 5x, and 6x tippet. Get used to fishing the smallest tippet you can in those tiny Appalachian streams. You can tie 5x directly on the end of a 4x leader, but 6x to 4x is kinda a pain to tie.

Also, a 9' rod may be tough in WV, but you'll find plenty of places to cast. Get used to roll casting on those streams.

Nymphs will probably be more productive. A size 12 brown or black Hare's Ear is usually a good starting place. Prince Nymphs work well on those streams also. For dries, you really just need a size 14 Royal Wulff. If they're looking up, they'll take that unless there's a prolific hatch of something else going on.

Edit: Here's your fishing report: https://www.murraysflyshop.com/blogs/fishing-report

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 24, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hoping to be able to post a link to the muskie some kids landed on Lake Harriet when I was taking a walk this morning.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LeeMajors posted:

Then this baby boy...

gently caress yeah!

Very nice fish and pics like those are mostly why i'm here, but please start supporting the body too. That jaw hold fucks with their jaws, the bigger the fish the worse it is. :(

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Desert Bus posted:

Very nice fish and pics like those are mostly why i'm here, but please start supporting the body too. That jaw hold fucks with their jaws, the bigger the fish the worse it is. :(

I’ve done a fair bit of online browsing since the last time you said this, and it appears a brief vertical hold is fine?

I had an angled lip hold last time you pointed this out and I truly appreciated the heads up—but these appear to be correct and safe holds since I just removed hooks and took a 2s pic before releasing?

Also there are a ton of vertical lip holds in this thread (on this page even) yet you only reply to mine? What’s the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve done a fair bit of online browsing since the last time you said this, and it appears a brief vertical hold is fine?

I had an angled lip hold last time you pointed this out and I truly appreciated the heads up—but these appear to be correct and safe holds since I just removed hooks and took a 2s pic before releasing?

Also there are a ton of vertical lip holds in this thread (on this page even) yet you only reply to mine? What’s the deal?

It’s just good practice it’s certainly been brought up before. Don’t take it personally.