Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Wow. Final stretch goal for Ironsworn: Starforged is the Sundered Isles, a complete stand alone reskin of the Starforged rules for a pirate fantasy setting. Looks pretty extensive, almost a whole new game. I wonder if this can serve as a back port for regular Ironsworn setting into the Starforged rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cocks Cable posted:

Wow. Final stretch goal for Ironsworn: Starforged is the Sundered Isles, a complete stand alone reskin of the Starforged rules for a pirate fantasy setting. Looks pretty extensive, almost a whole new game. I wonder if this can serve as a back port for regular Ironsworn setting into the Starforged rules.

From the update about it: "Plus, for those of you asking about using Starforged mechanics in the legacy setting of the Ironlands or another low-tech setting, Sundered Isles will give you a great starting place!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just a week left on the kickstarter for Ironsworn. Its looking like we'll make the Sundered Isles goal. I really hope we do anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If it makes the Sundered Isles goal, everyone who pledged enough for the basic goal gets that too, right?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Skwirl posted:

If it makes the Sundered Isles goal, everyone who pledged enough for the basic goal gets that too, right?

It says it will be free for all backers, so yep.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Almost a full month after making my character, I finally decided I'd actually play some Thousand Year Old Vampire. Got 7 prompts in, 8th prompt I didn't feel an immediate answer for but I'll loop back around to (maybe at work tomorrow). Once you get over the hump of the initial setup, these journaling games flow pretty easily. Much easier than trying to play a "full" system does at least.
Soundtrack for the writing effort, too.

e. I did end up skipping a few rolls and rerolling after getting prompt 1 five times in a row for the first five rolls, which I think is the big drawback - limited prompts per roll and the dice engine is less than guaranteed to move you away from where you're at. More in the back, but I just opted to roll 'em over and see what I got instead from a new start.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 23, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Less than 24 hours left on the Ironsworn: Starforged Kickstarer. They also succeeded in making their final stretch goal, the Pirate Fantasy "Sundered Isles" reskin.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Less than 24 hours left on the Ironsworn: Starforged Kickstarer. They also succeeded in making their final stretch goal, the Pirate Fantasy "Sundered Isles" reskin.

Good to see it's happening, hopefully this brings some of the Starforged improvements back towards Ironsworn well.
I've started a Starforged game myself, too, using a Traveller adventure as a seed/some framework. That was unwise, but we're underway, so... we'll see how it goes.
---
Retrospective: not great, since I'm barely an intro and a few moves in with no desire whatsoever to continue. Don't care much for Starforged default setting assumptions or its array of truths, writing my own felt like it would diverge too far for the game mechanics to keep up, and I've walked into the trap of "characters I don't care about in worlds I don't care about doing things I don't really care about". Might just shelve this until the full release + Isles, then see if a mechanical synthesis of the three can get closer to what I want.

God I wish there were good player emulators so I could faux GM instead, but that takes AI we don't have yet (not even aidungeon).

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 26, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OP's been updated with more of the suggestions from the thread. Anything else need adding (or removing), you think?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wife and I started playing our first game of Ironsworn over Discord. We're playing it that way so we a) have a record of it, b) can make updates asynchronously, and c) both of us find it less stressful to think creatively in writing

Plus I discovered a really cool Discord bot for the purpose: https://github.com/XenotropicDev/TheOracle

Since I'm obsessed with Earthdawn but it's my gaming white whale (I've never convinced anyone else to play it with me) I'm using the Earthdawn fluff as the jumping off point for our world and characters, i.e. the Scourge seems to be ending and we're emerging from the kaers our ancestors built 400 years ago into a world that's been ravaged for centuries and is mostly deserted aside from monsters and pockets of re-emerging civilization. I reckon this has obvious parallels with the pandemic lockdown we've all been through recently.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So my previous post I mentioned I've been playing Ironsworn solo for the last 3-4 days. It's my first experience with a solo RPG and I'm enjoying it a lot. But. I had started it on a discord I run for my family and friends with the idea that my wife was going to play coop with me, but she ended up not feeling like committing to it right now. So I'm still playing on a discord channel, but talking to myself.

Maybe this is just how social media has broken my brain, but I keep feeling like I'd enjoy the process more if I didn't feel like I was "wasting" all this writing on a place where nobody will ever read it. I'm not sure where else to put it, though. I don't feel like I'm confident enough to do a CYOA here, but I'm not sure any goons would want to read me just monologuing. Feels a bit cringeworthy to think about posting it on Facebook, not to mention how hard it would be for anyone to follow from a midpoint. Any other ideas for how, ironically, I can make this a little more social, or at least not feeling like I'm writing a novel's worth of :words: just for myself?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Honestly I think :justpost:

If someone doesn't like it they can always skip the post :shrug:

Or start a blog and put the links here. That could work too.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Everything Helical said, pretty much. This is a place for sharing experiences, sharing logs is/can be part of that.
Since I mentioned shelving Starforged I immediately jumped back in... with adjusting all the oracles and some assets to do Destiny's Dark Age setting, which is definitely a work in progress. Will share when I get there.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, a big part of other solo RPG communities is posting your play writeups

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I continue to be frustrated with my biggest trouble with Ironsworn/Starforged; thinking of a decent Background Vow and/or Inciting Incident.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Imagined posted:

So my previous post I mentioned I've been playing Ironsworn solo for the last 3-4 days. It's my first experience with a solo RPG and I'm enjoying it a lot. But. I had started it on a discord I run for my family and friends with the idea that my wife was going to play coop with me, but she ended up not feeling like committing to it right now. So I'm still playing on a discord channel, but talking to myself.

Maybe this is just how social media has broken my brain, but I keep feeling like I'd enjoy the process more if I didn't feel like I was "wasting" all this writing on a place where nobody will ever read it. I'm not sure where else to put it, though. I don't feel like I'm confident enough to do a CYOA here, but I'm not sure any goons would want to read me just monologuing. Feels a bit cringeworthy to think about posting it on Facebook, not to mention how hard it would be for anyone to follow from a midpoint. Any other ideas for how, ironically, I can make this a little more social, or at least not feeling like I'm writing a novel's worth of :words: just for myself?

Do a thread in the LP forum if you don't want to do it here, there's plenty of tradgames threads there. If you do put one there link to it here please, I would like to read it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I continue to be frustrated with my biggest trouble with Ironsworn/Starforged; thinking of a decent Background Vow and/or Inciting Incident.

That's usually the trouble for people, it seems like. Did just get a thread on the Ironsworn sub going for Starforged inciting vows a couple days ago, if that might help you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Imagined posted:

Whether or not you post it, I would encourage you to try to change your mindset. You are NOT wasting your time and writing any more than you are wasting time playing a solitaire board game, solo video game, or reading a book. If anything it’s less of a time waster because you are actively creating the story as you go along. Enjoy it!

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

SkyeAuroline posted:

That's usually the trouble for people, it seems like. Did just get a thread on the Ironsworn sub going for Starforged inciting vows a couple days ago, if that might help you.

Shawn Tomkin also made a post about this on another forum I frequent:

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/tabletop-rpgs-2021/150787/23

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I started a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969292

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made myself a little thing to try to get myself to commit to playing. Since I'm throwing in a healthy amount of Star Wars flavoring into my Starforged, I might as well start it off right...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/cat_elm/status/1400372926063464450?s=21
Charity bundle of 75 games, includes quite a few solo games. I can't vouch for or against quality on any of them, though.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Made myself a little thing to try to get myself to commit to playing. Since I'm throwing in a healthy amount of Star Wars flavoring into my Starforged, I might as well start it off right...

Very nice! Getting the extra bits added in around a game to flavor it always helps, in my experience, solo or otherwise.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So I just recently picked up The Drifter and I was wondering if there were any other good solo games similar to it that don't really require any miniatures or terrain. Really looking for something to spread out on a table and enjoy over a beer and a weekend

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I got the Palestine Aid Itchio bundle and there are a ton of solo ttrpgs and GMless ttrpgs in there.

https://itch.io/b/902/indie-bundle-for-palestinian-aid

I can't speak to the quality of any of them, and there's not an easy way to just pick those ones out but from a quick glance these three looked interesting

https://momatoes.itch.io/the-magus
https://spc.itch.io/longhaul1983
https://bluestockings.itch.io/treasure-box

There's a poo poo ton more and a bunch of DM less games that only need 2 or 3 players, and it's five bucks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've been enjoying my first Ironsworn game greatly. It feels a lot more like a "game" than I actually expected it would. I had worried that it would just feel like writing prompts with extra steps, but I've found myself genuinely surprised and inspired by how the story is developing, and enjoyed having an excuse to think about it every day. A running theme in my gaming life has been frustration with dependence on other players who flake out, get too busy with adulting, or are otherwise reluctant to commit to gaming, so it's really nice (if a bit melancholy) to have an outlet to scratch that itch without having to depend on other people for my fun. Plus it inspires me for ideas to bring back to games with other people and keeps those skills sharp.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Finally got this rolling after a few days and having a real blast. Started off really good too with my rolling a miss with matching 8s on the challenge dice on my initial Swear a Vow move. Maybe once I finally finish up this vow (which is turning into a real adventure) I'll do a write up of it.

Either way, Starforged is awesome.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

I've been enjoying my first Ironsworn game greatly. It feels a lot more like a "game" than I actually expected it would. I had worried that it would just feel like writing prompts with extra steps, but I've found myself genuinely surprised and inspired by how the story is developing, and enjoyed having an excuse to think about it every day. A running theme in my gaming life has been frustration with dependence on other players who flake out, get too busy with adulting, or are otherwise reluctant to commit to gaming, so it's really nice (if a bit melancholy) to have an outlet to scratch that itch without having to depend on other people for my fun. Plus it inspires me for ideas to bring back to games with other people and keeps those skills sharp.
The oracles are a great piece of tech. I've been meaning to try them out on other games.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I got my physical Ironsworn, Delve, and cards from the KS delivered today. I’ve been reading the PDF but dead trees are way better. I think I’ll be starting as soon as I finish the rules. I am geeked about this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got my physical Ironsworn but not my cards yet, hmm.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

If I remember correctly, the cards and books on DriveThruRPG are technically separate even though they interface -- you can't checkout a cart that has things in it from both at once (or at least you didn't used to be able to) for that reason. I think card printing from there actually routes through DriveThruCards. They use different printers so it's not that unusual that cards and books ordered at the same time would come separately.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StarkRavingMad posted:

If I remember correctly, the cards and books on DriveThruRPG are technically separate even though they interface -- you can't checkout a cart that has things in it from both at once (or at least you didn't used to be able to) for that reason. I think card printing from there actually routes through DriveThruCards. They use different printers so it's not that unusual that cards and books ordered at the same time would come separately.

Yeah, I forgot to split them up and was barred from finishing the order until I did.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I really hope they get around to arranging a card printer in the UK/Europe, 'cause the postage from the US is a sufficient turn off from getting anything from DriveThruCards.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Subjunctive posted:

Well, I simplified a bit - I got the books two days ago and the Cards yesterday. I'm sure they'll come soon.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gave another Wretched and Alone-based game I picked up a while back, Rigged, a shot. Unfortunately the author's itch.io is no longer available. I think this one works better than Wretched did, mostly on account of setting the expectations for the game better up front; Wretched changes tone from "little crewed ship like the Nostromo" to "half mile long ship with thousands of crew" in the space of a handful of prompts, while Rigged settles on generic cyberpunk hacking pretty early on. Still not my speed, but at least I can tell my issue is more with the format (flip cards and follow prompts not necessarily related to the nominal purpose of the game) than specifically "this setting doesn't click with me".

Learning, at least. Also spun up yet another Starforged character but haven't wanted to work on them at all yet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Would you all recommend just diving into Ironforged after reading the first part of the rules, or going through the whole book first? I'm about halfway through and really chomping to get going.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At the very least I'd suggest skipping through and reading or skimming chapter 7, if you haven't already . Especially the section on starting your campaign, and anything else that looks like it might address stuff you're still unsure on. Otherwise give it a shot, you can always fall back to the book or ask questions (here or on the discord, join the IS/SF discord, its a good place).

Really glad I got my Starforged game going at last. I've completed two vows so far (and a few expeditions of different kinds) and I'm just loving it and the improvements/changes it made to IS rules. Currently trailblazing a path through space to an ancient graveworld to find an alien temple I had a vision of someone awaiting me at. Except the first leg of my expedition to chart the passage just stumbled upon a derelict human space station/settlement that isn't on any of my charts and so I'm stopping to investigate it. Because I clearly don't have enough trouble on my plate as is.

If I ever got a chance to play cooperative with a friend or two I'd love to try using it to run a Star Wars game. I'm already running with an oversized dose of Star Wars theming/elements mixed into The Forge and its working very well.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 21, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I started my first solo game of Ironsworn, or any Ttrpg, back in Oct. Ironsworn was great to jump into, but I did make some mistakes in interpreting rules and move outcomes. My poor character got jumped in his first scene before even getting his kit together and got kinda beat up, due to bad luck and me not properly leveraging his strengths. Close combat was a miserable slog for this guy since he’s at 1 Iron.

Then it became my turn to host our game night RPG, also a first as we only ever played video games before, and I used Ironsworn to run that as well. Made a bunch of mistakes there, too. And my poor guy is still in freeze frame in that starting longhouse, waiting for the fight to end.

But what’s great is that mistakes don’t matter, just play through and move on with the story. I never got the impression that ttrpgs were chill about such things—they seem be very serious and lawyerly to me —but Ironsworn kinda is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really glad I got my Starforged game going at last. I've completed two vows so far (and a few expeditions of different kinds) and I'm just loving it and the improvements/changes it made to IS rules. Currently trailblazing a path through space to an ancient graveworld to find an alien temple I had a vision of someone awaiting me at. Except the first leg of my expedition to chart the passage just stumbled upon a derelict human space station/settlement that isn't on any of my charts and so I'm stopping to investigate it. Because I clearly don't have enough trouble on my plate as is.

Well, I trusted in the oracles to make this relevant and interesting and it sure delivered. Rolled Action+Theme and Descriptor+Focus oracles and got "Support Enemy" "Strange Art". Since I was on the way to investigate some ruins, I decided this outpost was researching them itself, and belonged to the evil Iron Hegemony.

And I made this as a little bit of visual inspiration for the complications I just rolled.

"The Black Pillar", Precursor Mural/Carving Holopic; Unknown recording date/location

I love Ironsworn/Starforged's oracles. I do not love it making me late for work cause I'm so caught up in it though :v:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

doctorfrog posted:

But what’s great is that mistakes don’t matter, just play through and move on with the story. I never got the impression that ttrpgs were chill about such things—they seem be very serious and lawyerly to me —but Ironsworn kinda is.

I think solo RPGs especially benefit from a looser approach to the rules, since you're not cheating anyone if you decide that no, you don't want things to go that way. It's why all the solo games I write have a bit at the beginning explicitly giving people permission to do that.

(I'd argue that how seriously any given game takes its own rules varies widely, but that's a topic for another thread entirely.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I actually find myself really giving the rules a workout in solo games, whereas I'm more likely to just make something up in a live game in order to keep things flowing.