Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The NATO gondola comment is an incredibly deep/time specific cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paulie and the prostitute (this fall on NBC) was great. "Our families probably knew each other!" "Si." :shrug:

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
LOL just got to "I stick motherfucking provolone in my socks at night so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning" (episode: The Happy Wanderer).

I think on my next rewatch I'll make a serious attempt to make a bunch of gifs, there's just so many good scenes/one-liners.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I started a rewatch from Season 3, and man Ralph gets put through the wringer, even for what is possibly the most unlikeable character.

I saw "Some Pulp" tshirts pop up the other day online and man I gotta get one of those.

E: "she was a loving whoooorse"

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 27, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ralphie is my favorite character and in my horrible, watched the whole series 3 times opinion his death is when the show shifts from violent escapism into pseudo-artsy navel gazing.

e: Not trying to defend him, he's despicable. I couldn't even watch the Bada Bing parking lot scene last time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that is when the show gets even better

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Matt Zerella posted:

The NATO gondola comment is an incredibly deep/time specific cut.

And it was just a random guy on the street that saw an American and decided to complain about it. Most people don’t realize how serious of an international incident that was, especially because the US tried to get away with it. There’s also some “gently caress NATO” graffiti in certain scenes, again, not in the script.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that is when the show gets even better

I'm the kind of fan David Chase hates, I get it. :jerkbag:

e: When I was a young man I worked with a lot of italian and irish guys in construction, and based on those experiences I think Ralphie's mix of shrewd business sense, drug addiction and explosive violence made him the most realistic character on the show.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 27, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/333333333433333/status/1398050941887188996?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And it was just a random guy on the street that saw an American and decided to complain about it. Most people don’t realize how serious of an international incident that was, especially because the US tried to get away with it. There’s also some “gently caress NATO” graffiti in certain scenes, again, not in the script.

Chase in the commentary talked about how much fun it was to shoot there. Basically just point your camera and you have an amazing shot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Countless rewatches and I just now realized Tony is making a jerkoff motion after telling the John Gotti Bunglow Bar story on the golf course.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Eyyyyyy I just read this whole thread. Oh if only I had known there was a devoted Sopranos thread going on a year ago to distract from the anxiety and doldrums of pandemic. I love me some motherfucking loving Sopranos and Jerusalem’s write ups are fantastic.

Jumping in with a couple random obsessive thoughts.

Jerusalem posted:

"She was my best friend," says a quiet little voice, and in a rather heartbreaking moment a woman named Fanny in a wheelchair is really seen by everybody for the first time as they step aside to give her the center stage. Speaking without irony, without malice, Fanny explains how she could always rely on "Li" to give her a call to keep her up to date on everything that was happening, which at their age usually meant a death or a hospitalization. Fanny speaks without understanding Livia's cruel fascination with the death and misfortune of others, but it doesn't diminish the very real fact that this one woman at least had nothing but genuine affection and care for Livia Soprano. She is probably the only person present who did, at this farce of a "celebration" by people who either didn't know her, didn't care for her, or outright hated her.

You forgot to mention Fanny was the woman Livia sent bouncing off the windshield of her car in an earlier episode! Lol that the only person who actually liked Livia ended up in a wheelchair because of her.

On my first watch of the show years ago I had a completely different take than I have seen discussed here on the snobby professor’s “they never export the best pieces” comment about the Beretta shotgun. From the way he first mentions the manufacturer dating back to the 1500s then he says the line and it cuts to all the guys looking hurt and confused and Tony walks away, I thought it was meant as an insult directed at them personally, masked as a comment about the quality of the gun. Kind of like Trump’s lovely “they’re not sending their best” comments, I thought Dr. Fegoli was straight up calling them descendants of lower class immigrants to their faces. Maybe that’s me reading more into it than was written and he just meant he thinks the gun was smuggled.

For some reason I just love this moment where Paulie calls Sil a wormy cocksucker and they both stand up glaring at each other with their shoulders hunched and their hairdos almost touching. OHHH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQKuZ8FgNi8

Manson Lamps would be a top notch user name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think its come up ITT before, but what's the thread's take on Boardwalk Empire?

I've been rewatching it, and it really hit me how much the show is a direct copy of The Sopranos. Like they basically just did a sequel to the Sopranos with a different cast in a different time period.

Not only the family drama and violence, but things like the dream sequences from Sopranos are basically directly imitated.

Not nearly as good, largely because Buscemi can't carry the show like Gandolfini could. But its interesting how similar they feel.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zaphod42 posted:

I think its come up ITT before, but what's the thread's take on Boardwalk Empire?

I brought this up before but I can't believe Hernan is Lucky Luciano.

Anyway, I thought the first three seasons were great, I didn't really care for S4 and the last season's time skip was a big mistake.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been rewatching it, and it really hit me how much the show is a direct copy of The Sopranos. Like they basically just did a sequel to the Sopranos with a different cast in a different time period.

Not only the family drama and violence, but things like the dream sequences from Sopranos are basically directly imitated.

Not nearly as good, largely because Buscemi can't carry the show like Gandolfini could. But its interesting how similar they feel.

Of those shows at the time Boardwalk season 1 was the closet they came to a Sopranos epic but missed the point entirely that for all the drama and dark stuff Sopranos had loads of humor which made it eminently more watchable then any 100% super serious crime drama. It kind of got better at points during later seasons but was always dragged down by a need to be as dark and edgy as possible.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

pentyne posted:

Of those shows at the time Boardwalk season 1 was the closet they came to a Sopranos epic but missed the point entirely that for all the drama and dark stuff Sopranos had loads of humor which made it eminently more watchable then any 100% super serious crime drama. It kind of got better at points during later seasons but was always dragged down by a need to be as dark and edgy as possible.

A concussed Nucky confusing Chalky with 'the help' was hilarious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I watched all of BE, and I saw it before Sopranos. I have to admit that as much as I enjoyed it at the time, it didn't stick with me like The Sopranos does.

The ending of the show almost felt like they were trying to make up for the ending of the Sopranos. Nicky gets an apparent happy ending, then boom, along with a flashback scene to remind you that oh yeah, this guy's a piece of poo poo who doesn't deserve a happy ending.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zaphod42 posted:

To me, Boardwalk was almost the inverse of The Sopranos. It does a great job of laying out twisty mob plots that Sopranos mostly backgrounded and really relishes living inside those criminal sit-downs where everybody talks around their true intentions, but (outside of Nucky and Margaret) its interests in the characters and their internal lives was a secondary concern. It could feel like a wildly different show season-to-season as characters adjusted to work into the newest plot developments.

pentyne posted:

One hundred percent. It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall the first season in particular feeling like it was being written specifically to mark off check-boxes of what HBO would let them get away with, occasionally to its own detriment ("Alright, this episode we gotta do two graphic deaths, one with corpse mutilation; we need 10 minutes of topless women aaaaaaaaaaand...what the hell, a graphic Michael Shannon sex scene that ends with him beating himself up.") It kind of mellowed as it went along and really got humming as it found a groove...but then S5 was a step back in a lot of ways.

Overall, though, I really liked the series. The occasional plot hiccup was more than offset by the fun, pulpy action and great performances (Stephen Root was basically born to play Gaston Means; the scene where he breaks into the guy's house to kill him, watches him commit suicide instead and just stands dumbstruck by his "luck" for a few seconds is a personal favorite.) Plus it was just a beautiful show, the production design was top-notch and the level of detail they put into everything was amazing. The firm that did most of the digital effects has some highlight reels on Youtube that are fascinating to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTNhNe6Fbc

Halloween Jack posted:

The ending of the show almost felt like they were trying to make up for the ending of the Sopranos. Nicky gets an apparent happy ending, then boom, along with a flashback scene to remind you that oh yeah, this guy's a piece of poo poo who doesn't deserve a happy ending.

It's not surprising in retrospect, given that Terence Winter was the guy pushing Chase to add a scene with Paulie and Chris encountering an amnesiac Russian in the final season.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hell, I didn't even mean it literally! I had no idea the creator was a Sopranos writer.

Following plot at the expense of characterization seems like a necessity of a show that's more grounded in historical events and persons. (It doesn't even go in for composite characters very often.) Arguably the show was at its best when dealing with the original characters and what the big events and changes mean to them, rather than being the best fictional depiction of Meyer Lansky or whoever.

A lot of prestige shows go all-out in the beginning. Mad Men was like that too, laying it on real thick with the "Bring another martini to my office, toots, I dripped Brylcreem in this one! And close the door behind you! Say, would you like a Chesterfield! My doctor recommends them!"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 2, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Hell, I didn't even mean it literally! I had no idea the creator was a Sopranos writer.

Following plot at the expense of characterization seems like a necessity of a show that's more grounded in historical events and persons. (It doesn't even go in for composite characters very often.) Arguably the show was at its best when dealing with the original characters and what the big events and changes mean to them, rather than being the best fictional depiction of Meyer Lansky or whoever.

I was wondering about that, yeah. I don't really know anything about the characters in BE apart from the fact that many (all? I don't even know that) of them existed IRL, so I don't know how faithfully the writers felt like they had to stick to their actual histories, that would have been a constraining factor compared to the Sopranos where they could just pretty much make up whatever they want. But I also just get the general vibe that they took some creative liberties with the history, so maybe that's not as much of a factor as I'd think.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was wondering about that, yeah. I don't really know anything about the characters in BE apart from the fact that many (all? I don't even know that) of them existed IRL, so I don't know how faithfully the writers felt like they had to stick to their actual histories, that would have been a constraining factor compared to the Sopranos where they could just pretty much make up whatever they want. But I also just get the general vibe that they took some creative liberties with the history, so maybe that's not as much of a factor as I'd think.

I mean the real Enoch Johnson lived until old age. Right about the end of Season 2 things go right off the rails. But they did change the names to make it clear it wasn't a documentary series.

The most damning criticism of Boardwalk I can give is that I never watched the final Episode, I've seen every single other episode, but I got called in to work at the Finale. I had it sitting on my DVR for years, and I realized I just didn't give a poo poo.

It's not a bad show, but trying to weave so many plots in so many places made it sometimes nearly incomprehensible. And as much as I love the actors in the show, there ain't any Gandolfini, Falco level actors in the show.

Edit: The book it's based on is actually a great read, and while I'm at it Nixonland is required reading for Mad Men

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of prestige shows go all-out in the beginning. Mad Men was like that too, laying it on real thick with the "Bring another martini to my office, toots, I dripped Brylcreem in this one! And close the door behind you! Say, would you like a Chesterfield! My doctor recommends them!"

The first episode of Mad Men, while immensely crucial to laying out how the show works, is by far the worst episode for trying to put the 1960 culture on display. I'd suggest anyone who didn't like it to at least watch some of the first season before giving up as it improves massively in every way.

The pilot was also shot 2 years before the show was even picked up I think. The difference between episode 1 and 2 is extremely jarring in that they don't even look like the same set.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Eyyyyyy I just read this whole thread. Oh if only I had known there was a devoted Sopranos thread going on a year ago to distract from the anxiety and doldrums of pandemic. I love me some motherfucking loving Sopranos and Jerusalem’s write ups are fantastic.

Yeah, Jerusalem is really good. He has a thread on The Wire here too if you enjoy his writing. His posts in both threads are better than the books I've read about either of these shows.

RE: Boardwalk Empire: One of those shows I feel like I should like and get hooked on but never did. Which seems to be the consensus. I mean...it was really good, had great acting, good storytelling, fine directing and all that but it just never sunk its teeth into me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m on the last season of Gomorrah, which is about the crime families that run Naples, and they forgot to put the subs on S4 ep7 and after watching the whole series in Italian up to now, I can’t in good conscious watch this ep in English.

I hope hbo fixes this ASAP because I really want to finish the show and watch the movie it’s adapted from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4QORgagblU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtdYTuRKto

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 3, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The movie is really good, your in for a treat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Gomorrah the movie is great and the sequence at the end is chilling, especially with the chosen soundtrack. this song burns my soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOG26tPqJC8

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

On my first watch of the show years ago I had a completely different take than I have seen discussed here on the snobby professor’s “they never export the best pieces” comment about the Beretta shotgun. From the way he first mentions the manufacturer dating back to the 1500s then he says the line and it cuts to all the guys looking hurt and confused and Tony walks away, I thought it was meant as an insult directed at them personally, masked as a comment about the quality of the gun. Kind of like Trump’s lovely “they’re not sending their best” comments, I thought Dr. Fegoli was straight up calling them descendants of lower class immigrants to their faces. Maybe that’s me reading more into it than was written and he just meant he thinks the gun was smuggled.

That's a pretty cool read I hadn't considered it from that angle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I had never considered that take either but I really like the idea of it.

Regarding Boardwalk, it hit a high watermark with the Bobby Cannavale season (season 3 I think?) which is just superb, and while it was still all right after that it never quite hit the same high note. Plus, as mentioned, the time-skip was a bad idea and I really disliked the final scene of the final episode. It didn't feel earned, and it also felt like a backslide and basically a slap in the face to one of the better characters - Richard - and the monstrous things he did in the name of a greater good which basically gets utterly negated by the last scene for no fit purpose.

As mentioned, the real life Enoch Johnson had a very different fate, and I really think it would have been better suited if Nucky had ended up the same way - he gets away "free" from his life of crime and corruption, then spends the last decades of his life a nobody with no friends or family, a vaguely pathetic figure mostly considered the neighborhood eccentric, divorced of the power he once craved and reveled in, having lost everything he lived for in favor of a freedom he couldn't really savor." Nobody really talks about Boardwalk anymore, and certainly the ending didn't have any real impact, while the Sopranos and its ending in particular are still pored over with fascination all these years later.

Ironically I think it would have been better for Boardwalk to have copied Godfather 3's ending. For all that film's many faults, the one thing it absolutely got right was showing that unlike his father, Michael Corleone died alone and and unloved/uncherished, having destroyed everybody who cared for him in pursuit of power ostensibly for their benefit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah season 3 of Boardwalk was the only one I really loved. Then I bounced off of 4 incredibly quickly for some reason.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Looking back at it, the only characters that stand out in my mind are Harrow, Van Alden and Nucky's German driver. Whereas just about every character on The Sopranos felt relatable, real and distinct, a lot of the recurring cast on Boardwalk felt like generic bit players who seemed to exist more in service of the plot than on their own terms. Doesn't help that a lot of the acting was very uneven. Shannon's excellent scenery chewing notwithstanding, quite a few great actors like Dominic Chianese felt utterly wasted on this show.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/lincolnjackd/status/1400280234671316993?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1400964485465137155?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, that is NOT how I saw that Puerto Rican acupuncturist in my mind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

at least it didn't get him from under the table

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/moltisantithots/status/1401597133975867395?s=21

I love this account so much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ain't that just the old ice t meme

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/MoltisantiThots/status/1386466042940170240

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The last few seasons of Boardwalk Empire weren't great but holy poo poo the dude they got play young Steve Buscemi might be some of the best casting in history

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0681844/

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
things i remember about boardwalk empire

-jimmy banged his mum
-harrow went hotline miami on the great gatsby house and died under a pier
-they fridged the hot irishman
-they hired michael k williams and then had him just sort of be there
-bobby cannavale played someone who was maybe brain damaged
-scottish = irish sure why not
-nuckys not looking for redemption?

oh

-michael shannon and shea wigham together are loving gold

that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's too bad HBO didn't see what a good job bobby Carnavale did and give him his own Hugh budget prestige drama