Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

jeeves posted:

I've been with Firefox since the beginning and holy gently caress is this the worst the interface has ever been. It's like they're actively trying to tank the browser.

The best part is that apparently they will be removing the ability to turn off proton in the about :config in like next update or something.

Netscape user here, I'll play devils advocate here and say I don't really mind the changes. I do sort of wonder about making changes for the sake of changing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ILikeVoltron posted:

Netscape user here, I'll play devils advocate here and say I don't really mind the changes. I do sort of wonder about making changes for the sake of changing though.

It's only "change for the sake of change" if you don't like it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

Nice to know the exact reason. That is definitely a dumb trigger for dark mode. I had guessed it was the text color on the inactive tabs.

But yeah, userChrome.css is needed to fix dark mode weirdness and fix tabs. It took me a while before I finally had to resort to hacks, but the dark mode menus when using the Photon Colors theme finally pushed me over the edge.

I get the feeling that dark mode was actually the primary design for Proton. I use dark mode on my laptop, and it feels much nicer than Proton's light mode. The contrast isn't as garbage, the color choices are better, and the text colors behave intelligently.

There's also another effect I noticed:

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

everything has huge gaps now, it looks like I hosed with the zoom feature on windows and firefox just doesn't support it properly, but like, all the time.

My laptop also has a moderately-high DPI screen. Not a retina or anything, just 1080p 13". That's enough that I run 125% display scale in windows. And the Proton UI looks a whole lot less offensive there. The padding and the lightly rounded corners are physically smaller -- 2 pixels of rounded edge look much less round at higher DPI. I loving hate the rounding on my desktop, but on the laptop it isn't irritating.

So my guess is the Mozilla designers have high-DPI screens and like dark mode (heck they made the html file icon dark years ago), and so they made it look good for their screens.

ILikeVoltron posted:

I do sort of wonder about making changes for the sake of changing though.

I'd be fine with them making changes for the sake of change, if one of the changes was to build a more powerful and flexible theming system.

It's all CSS, put more stuff into a set of top-level variables and design the elements to have some options. If tabs vs bubbles & rounded vs sharp were accessible to themes, rather than userchrome hacks, people would be way less upset.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

astral posted:

What? Why not? Does Firefox Sync not work with lower versions or something? I don't mess with the sync stuff, but the process you outlined should work just fine in general, and you'd get the benefit of still having whatever synced stuff available if you had to restore from your backup.

I'm not sure, but last time I tried a couple years ago, the outdated version didn't give me access to my account, because the account and its extensions etc was tied to the newest update or something. :confused:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Vivendi seems nice, but it doesn't have containers. I usually containerize Youtube, since it's the only Google-service where I log in. Seeing my account suddenly pop-up on news.google.com as well as Search, isn't something I really like. Otherwise, good browser.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Welp, I now understand why I got a bunch of reviews for my theme over the last week. I haven't personally updated yet, but I do make the active tab visually distinct:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was away this weekend so I'm only just now concurring with everyone that wow the new design is bad. The Color addon would be a nice way of personalising it if it weren't so clunky and seemingly force the context menu into dark mode which is really jarring.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So far I don't have any complaints about Proton, but that's probably because I already run a custom dark mode UI theme and I already had compact UI configured before :v:. Though I swear if they ever get rid of userChrome.css to fix all their bullshit busywork UI changes I'll switch to a different browser for real. Or switch to an ESR release and never update again.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

man, it's already annoying enough to have to tweak firefox to look right when it works properly, but I already have to keep chrome installed for certain pages that wont play nice with firefox, it's all just becoming more effort than I want to spend, it's like firefox is pushing me away.

Tried Edge yet (assuming you're on Win10)? Ever since it switched to using the chromium engine I find it's the perfect Chrome replacement - all the benefits of websites rendering correctly with none of the Google bullshit.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Why the heck is the tab bar so tall? Do the people that design the browser use it on a portrait monitor? Whatever, compact mode's okay I guess.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Echophonic posted:

Why the heck is the tab bar so tall? Do the people that design the browser use it on a portrait monitor? Whatever, compact mode's okay I guess.

So they can show their beautiful new AUTOPLAY BLOCKED text and others in the tab! See, its so convenient! Also, Granny can use Firefox now.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Echophonic posted:

The people that design the browser don't use Firefox.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Pikestaff posted:

THANK YOU, this was driving me nuts, mostly because what's the point of having a search bar on the new tab page if it doesn't work?

Anyway I have the opposite problem of most of the people in here, the tabs feel way smaller to me now than they were before and I keep accidentally closing them :(

Sorry for missing this, if your problem is about the width being smaller, you can change the Tab min width with "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" (I use 100)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm bringing sexy back
Mozilla fuckers don't know how to act
Come let me fix up all the tabs you lack
Now turn around and let me style hack

(active / inactive window, page context menu, tab context menu)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One more thing:

To remove the Sync and Accounts login poo poo that I'm never going to click on purpose, switch this to false:
identity.fxaccounts.enabled

Needs a browser restart to get rid of all menu items etc.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
For an issue unrelated with the new version can anyone help with my zoom/scrolling in Google maps?

I've got a new laptop and when zooming in and out in Google maps on Firefox it feels very slow to the point where I switch to Chrome whenever I need to look at maps. Comparing between Firefox and other browsers and my old laptop it seems that each click on my mouse wheel changes the zoom level less in Firefox.

Changing the lines scrolled setting for my mouse in Windows seems to make some difference but then messes up my scrolling in everything else.

Fairly sure this is not related to the new version as I have been having the issue for two weeks now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stupid Decisions posted:

For an issue unrelated with the new version can anyone help with my zoom/scrolling in Google maps?

I've got a new laptop and when zooming in and out in Google maps on Firefox it feels very slow to the point where I switch to Chrome whenever I need to look at maps. Comparing between Firefox and other browsers and my old laptop it seems that each click on my mouse wheel changes the zoom level less in Firefox.

Changing the lines scrolled setting for my mouse in Windows seems to make some difference but then messes up my scrolling in everything else.

Fairly sure this is not related to the new version as I have been having the issue for two weeks now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Some ad/script blocker is probably causing a problem. Any error messages in the console? I use Maps a lot, all throughout the latest versions, without any problems. Scroll is fast and smooth. I use uBlock Origin.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Ola posted:

Some ad/script blocker is probably causing a problem. Any error messages in the console? I use Maps a lot, all throughout the latest versions, without any problems. Scroll is fast and smooth. I use uBlock Origin.

Actually just found the problem (typically as soon as I post the question). It was the smooth scrolling setting in Logitech Options for my mouse and disabling it fixed the issue immediately.

Who knows why this wasn't a problem before but a bit of Googling and it looks like this smooth scrolling has caused other issues for people in the past.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
There was a feature in Firefox that I used occasionally, and now I can't find it. Before, I could right-click a page and open up a box that lists all the media on the page. I could scroll through all the images used on the page and view each one in isolation. The option used to sit next to "view source" in the context menu, and now I can't find it. Is this feature still available?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

There was a feature in Firefox that I used occasionally, and now I can't find it. Before, I could right-click a page and open up a box that lists all the media on the page. I could scroll through all the images used on the page and view each one in isolation. The option used to sit next to "view source" in the context menu, and now I can't find it. Is this feature still available?

Press CTRL+i. They removed it from that menu.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

The context menu access is one of the (many) features that were quietly removed in Firefox 88, without being mentioned in the release notes.
Luckily, you can still get it with ^i - but who knows how long it'll take before they remove the feature entirely based telemetrics telling them that nobody uses the feature.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found something I like with 89 - the new download icon

Progresses like a clock, which is pretty cool. I mean, it's not Download Statusbar, but it does a decent job at showing progress.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MikusR posted:

Press CTRL+i. They removed it from that menu.

You can actually find it here now:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The context menu access is one of the (many) features that were quietly removed in Firefox 88, without being mentioned in the release notes.
Luckily, you can still get it with ^i - but who knows how long it'll take before they remove the feature entirely based telemetrics telling them that nobody uses the feature.
They better not take that out, I use that all the time to grab media from pages that block it behind an iframe or something.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
A few months before that they took out the "view image information" option (or whatever it's called). In the bug tracker it's the usual "no one is using it" etc, but also "hey you can just right click and 'view page info' to see it!". I don't care about that option so much, I rarely used it. But them then removing the alternative solution also, just so that they can add extra proton padding, is dumb.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If I remember correctly, they're adding the view image information context menu item back.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Vivaldi has a new major release. No containerization, but I think some kind of mail client? Dunno.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been hesitant to post about this over in the Technical Issues subforum, because it might be a result of the way Firefox is built on FreeBSD, or something else, but to try and narrow it down I'll describe the symptoms so someone can try and replicate it:

When on [url="https://"https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php"]the User Control Panel page[/url], I get one of the light weight processes from Firefox showing up as using quite a bit more CPU time than I would've expected:
pre:
36071   1001       30    0  3943M  1148M uwait    1 100:38  21.21% firefox{WRRenderBackend#1}
What's confusing to me is that it only happens on that page; if I leave any other SA page open, it doesn't happen. Nor does it happen for a whole bunch of other websites.

So I'm wondering if someone can replicate this on Linux, macOS or Windows?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's probably the 10 billion gifs from your bookmarked thread tags on that page and happens on every OS. some machines handle it more gracefully than others i find, though. on my gamebox or work laptop poo poo still runs normally, just the cpu cranks up to more than twice normal usage, on an old laptop the entire page gets choppy as gently caress

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

SirViver posted:

Tried Edge yet (assuming you're on Win10)? Ever since it switched to using the chromium engine I find it's the perfect Chrome replacement - all the benefits of websites rendering correctly with none of the Google bullshit.

drat, I don't use chrome because of the reasons you said and also because it doesn't have a good side tabs addon, popped into edge to see that side tabs are built right into the browser.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Finally upgraded to 89. I was prepared for the worst, but after using it... eh, it's not that bad. It's still perfectly usable, and 90% of the problem is just that the tab bar is kind of... puffy and indistinct.

For the moment I've set browser.proton.enabled to false and that looks perfectly okay. If and when that option vanishes, I'll probably look for a theme that more clearly indicates the active tab, but besides that, I'll adapt.

Firefox UI revamps always seem horrible at first and gradually get more acceptable. Remember 60 versions ago when "Australis" was the end of the world?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My titlebar still has Windows theme colour, so crisis averted.
The lack of contrast is annoying, but not a killer.
Minor mods to make things look more like a tab bar and back in business.

Oh, also had to make the menus more compact.
My Bookmarks menu was shooting off the bottom of a 1440p screen.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I used this site to pretty much fix all the tab and spacing issues with FF89, it makes things super simple.

https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-89-styling-proton-ui.html

But I still need to get rid of that terrible looking glow border that happens on the URL bar for example, I haven't had much time to look into fixing things yet so for now I just undid everything by using the "browser.proton.enabled" and "browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled" flags until I have time. I also hate the new dark mode because it changes the color of the context menus and other miscellaneous things, making it hard for me to read, before I was using dark mode, it was a mix of system colors and dark mode stuff, I liked that setup better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powered Descent posted:

Finally upgraded to 89. I was prepared for the worst, but after using it... eh, it's not that bad. It's still perfectly usable, and 90% of the problem is just that the tab bar is kind of... puffy and indistinct.
So it's like, I personally dislike it for aesthetic reasons that are a matter of opinion. I don't like poo poo being all rounded and blobified, but Mozilla isn't the only one in that lane and it seems like the trend for this year. Gag me with a spoon.

But it's also got real usability issues.
- extremely low contrast of default themes is a no-poo poo accessibility problem
- system theme not picking up windows titlebar color
- themes continue to be garbage for people that want or need real change

So the fact that I prefer square tabs is my own hangup and one that I'm fine dealing with myself. I was using square tabs before photon came out, I'll use square tabs after it's gone. The fact that mozilla hasn't told their designers to suck it up and make a more customizable theming system, which a normal person can use without having to use Nth Doctor's space theme, that makes me incensed.

Powered Descent posted:

Firefox UI revamps always seem horrible at first and gradually get more acceptable. Remember 60 versions ago when "Australis" was the end of the world?
Australis was an exact remake of Chrome. Nothing was wrong with it as a UI, and everything was wrong with it as a symbol. It was the sign that mozilla had zero ideas about how to forge their own path. Firefox was losing market share, had unfixed bugs galore, and chrome's performance advantage was too big to ignore.

At the time firefox still had double-digit market share. Their answer to chrome was capitulation. "We have a poo poo browser, but it looks like Chrome so maybe people will be fooled?" It was the biggest rearrange deck chairs on the titanic move possible.

That's why people felt Australis was the end of the world. And they were pretty much right.

quote:

For the moment I've set browser.proton.enabled to false and that looks perfectly okay. If and when that option vanishes,

Im_Special posted:

I haven't had much time to look into fixing things yet so for now I just undid everything by using the "browser.proton.enabled" and "browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled" flags

going away next version wrong info, possibly going away in v91

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 10, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

So the fact that I prefer square tabs is my own hangup and one that I'm fine dealing with myself. I was using square tabs before photon came out, I'll use square tabs after it's gone. The fact that mozilla hasn't told their designers to suck it up and make a more customizable theming system, which a normal person can use without having to use Nth Doctor's space theme, that makes me incensed.

I actually bothered to register for their dumb ideas@mozilla thing and submit a suggestion to expand theming options. It's been "awaiting moderator review" for 3 days now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

going away next version
I'm sure I'll find 10 minutes in the next month to copy paste some CSS. (and thought it was gutted for 91.0, heard wrong maybe)

If I was Mozilla I would hire one guy (probably Aris of CustomCSSforFx fame (is he famous?...)) to just spend a bit of time opening up the customization aspects of Firefox which it used to be so well known and praised for, like WTF, they just keep taking options away and making it "their way", image if anyone, like my mom with no CSS knowledge, could just open up the "Customize Toolbar..." panel from within Firefox to drag and drop stuff around like putting the tabs under the URL bar, or use some kind of color picker wheel to paint backgrounds, tabs, boarders and poo poo like MSPaint. They'd get nothing but praise for something like this and tons of goodwill too.

Nalin posted:

I actually bothered to register for their dumb ideas@mozilla thing and submit a suggestion to expand theming options. It's been "awaiting moderator review" for 3 days now.
That's just a thing they're going to use to ignore feedback to keep their bugtracker clean.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

I'm sure I'll find 10 minutes in the next month to copy paste some CSS. (and thought it was gutted for 91.0, heard wrong maybe)

At this point I've got a fairly good replica a photon with the windows system theme, I could put that up on pastebin or something.

And for proton.enabled, I was just repeating info from elsewhere, but the place I saw it was from one of the mods of r/firefox. But now I just saw this (v90 telemetry may collect stats on proton.enabled) which only makes sense if it'll still be around in v90.

I'm too used to all the reddits where it's a company shop and all the highest-level mods are employees of the company that makes the thing, apparently firefox doesn't have that.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Just confirm something for me.

Did the the forums.somethingawful forums list get a UI change so they're all a little more spaced out or minor font change or has 89 done something strange?

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

The space between pinned tabs and normal tabs is wider than those between normal tabs among themselves and it's killing me

How do I modify the space between the two tabs on the left to be like (or similar to) the one between the two tabs on the right through CSS?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Strange Charm posted:

The space between pinned tabs and normal tabs is wider than those between normal tabs among themselves and it's killing me

How do I modify the space between the two tabs on the left to be like (or similar to) the one between the two tabs on the right through CSS?

Here are instructions for how to make & activate a userchrome.css file, if you don't have one already.

Paste this code into userchrome:
code:
/* remove padding between pinned & regular tabs */
#tabbrowser-tabs[haspinnedtabs]:not([positionpinnedtabs]) > #tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > .tabbrowser-tab[first-visible-unpinned-tab] {
    margin-inline-start: 0px !important;
}
(this is actually one of the changes in proton that I like. I frequently misclicked the first tab when I wanted the last pinned tab. I don't hate everything!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Threw the code in there and that did it. Thanks

Edit: My stress actually decreased