Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I always thought medals and titles for the highest taxpayers each year would be a good way to incentivise paying taxes among the richest given that taxes are basically voluntary for them

It would probably be a less broken way of selecting people to get into the House of Lords than the current one. For political balance though half of the intake are selected from the people with the lowest incomes in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gort posted:

I always thought medals and titles for the highest taxpayers each year would be a good way to incentivise paying taxes among the richest given that taxes are basically voluntary for them

Similar to the ancient Greeks in Athens, where only the richest paid taxes, and people strived to earn enough to get that social status symbol.

"Oh yes darling, I'm just doing my tax returns. A frighful bore, don't you know."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gort posted:

Publish the top 100/1000 in the Times every year instead of the Rich List.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You love to see it

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1401809290445443079

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Grey Hunter posted:

What would be interesting is if personal finances were taxed like profit. Oh, your struggling to make ends meet, no tax for you. Got 20 billion in a bank account? we're taking half of that! it would keep the money circulating.
of course, you'd need to set up some limits, otherwise no one would save for anything ever.

That is literally how capital gains tax works. It's just a much lower rate of course because only rich people pay it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Grey Hunter posted:

A global tax rate, even if it is a paltry 15%, is a giant leap towards fixing the broken taxation system.

Ah well,

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1401643032433287172?s=20

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jiggerypokery posted:

That is literally how capital gains tax works. It's just a much lower rate of course because only rich people pay it.

Point conceded, but I mean the rate should be much higher, and apply to all forms of income.

drat them.
The optimist in me hopes they can tighten those loop holes up.

Get it on the books, rack it up later.

(Not going to happen until after the revolution of course)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It should be the same rate as income tax for sure

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A good first step but the devil is in the details, as they say. There will be all sorts of loopholes by the time the taxes come into effect.

If it can make companies start paying some tax it's better than nothing I guess.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine the American president being further to the left than the leadership of the British Labour Party.

Like Biden is a totally poo poo creepy old hair sniffing rear end in a top hat and yet...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Knock down the statue of churchill in london and replace it with top taxpayer, let them fight over it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is bad, but we're already getting dickheads coming out with "Well then this is obviously entirely pointless, might as well not bother :smuggo:," which is infuriating (see also, climate change)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Knock down the statue of churchill in london and replace it with top taxpayer, let them fight over it.

That's much of the reason why we have statues and public libraries and a variety of other things. Rich people wanting to be remembered more kindly.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
They're right, but only because every company will suddenly have a maximum profit margin of 9.99999999% every year forever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Equestrian statue of the top taxpayer riding the secondmost like a horsie on the fourth plinth.

Niric posted:

This is bad, but we're already getting dickheads coming out with "Well then this is obviously entirely pointless, might as well not bother :smuggo:," which is infuriating (see also, climate change)
Can't do anything about carbon because China and India are the top carbon producing nations and if you total up the mass of their populations they're also the most obese I am smart

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
the rebels definitely had the numbers to defeat the government, so bribe/threaten the speaker/clerks is the order of the day

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1401830960803598337

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

Equestrian statue of the top taxpayer riding OVER the secondmost like ON a horsie on the fourth plinth.

This I think would work. Do the face of the runner up in utter agony for bonus points.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

This I think would work. Do the face of the runner up in utter agony for bonus points.

Just got a visit from the TV licence man, grunted and closed my front door and had a cup of tea... that's me pissed off & stressed out for the rest of the week.

Don't watch tv at all, listen to radio or interact with bbc iplayer in any way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/talkmurtytome/status/1401553944317501442

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

That is literally how capital gains tax works. It's just a much lower rate of course because only rich people pay it can afford the kind of accountancy firms and banking structures that effectively reduce their taxes to less than zero.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I can't believe that Julie Birchill's obviously racist tweet still hasn't been banned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Two exciting pieces of physics news, the UK experimental fusion temperature management seems to work and may significantly increase the lifespan of viable scale fusion reactors, and we've finally located Maxwell's demon and it's not what you might expect:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I though Maxwell's demon hung himself in jail?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

I though Maxwell's demon hung himself in jail?

some people said he had something to hyoid

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Two exciting pieces of physics news, the UK experimental fusion temperature management seems to work and may significantly increase the lifespan of viable scale fusion reactors, and we've finally located Maxwell's demon and it's not what you might expect:

Didn't literally everyone who didn't already understand UK VAT law learn this in the whole pasty tax debacle?

Also I checked the article to see if the worker was alleging anything more sinister, and lol

Daily Star posted:

You've probably never noticed it but sometimes your favourite foods at Greggs aren't piping hot when you buy them.
Star journalists have literally never eaten at Greggs, apparently

(the sausage rolls are usually hot tbf since they sell so many but everything else, pfft no chance)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't like hot sausage rolls anyway, though the existential crisis implicit in them having intent of any sort is putting me off them at any temperature.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed the implication that the sausage rolls had agency in the matter. It would mean exciting things for thermodynamics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't give them ideas otherwise boris is going to phone up the sun for the secret of sustained fusion and it's going to go out because of pure spite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tim Martin 2025: Do we really need a large star in the middle of our solar system governing all life on earth?
Tim Martin 2026: Very unfair that my beer gardens are all 2.7K.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wow the HR manager at my partner's work just sent her a calendar invite titled Exit Interview. That sure is one way to break the news to your staff.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1401469308014891012

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Wow the HR manager at my partner's work just sent her a calendar invite titled Exit Interview. That sure is one way to break the news to your staff.

poo poo that is rough. Let us know what develops from this, nosey goons need their fix

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Decline the interview, send them an invite to duel at dawn.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao amazing

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1401865871866437636?s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Big Killer BOB energy

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That clip has a good rhythm to it, I like it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, when I saw how the defence was playing I thought "Those lads have been reading about the LTV."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Love it when TBEU leaks into reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

These days!