Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

*squints*

I'm pretty sure Sterling is rolling in the dead fish like a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

One thing I've always appreciated about Cul De Sac is that Alice is four. She also behaves like a four-year-old. She is not a baby genius, a precious angel, or a constant nightmare; she is four. She has mood swings, weird impulses, strange priorities, and very little moral compass.

I also appreciate that the adults around her recognize that she is four. They correct her when needed because they are trying to raise a functional human being here, but they understand that she is a little kid and don't give her constant poo poo for being a four-year-old. Petey also has his eccentricities and the adults are firm when needed but still accept that he's a kid and is not going to act like a mini adult. Even rereading these same strips for the Nth time, it's still refreshing.

These are also good:

Ever try to explain to a younger co-worker how to save something? "Just click on the little floppy disk. Oh... uh... It's that blue square thing with the circle in the middle..."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Oh Petey, little buddy, let me tell you about Brood X cicadas.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

snapshot from a darker timeline

This is extremely cursed.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

If the last line had just been something simple like "Awww poo poo" then this would've been fine. But saying "there's no accomplishment without sacrifice" just comes across as the mom acting like a martyr again.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't think the strip is meant to imply that she was unaware of all of that, but that she chose to let the kid make a mess that she'd deal with later rather than keep interrupting the cooking and ruin the meal.

What's funny is that back when this was first drawn, people probably didn't bat an eye about babies getting into drawers and such. But due to the sliding timeline making this take place around 2021, the mom looks irresponsible for not bothering to childproof the cupboards.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 7, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

What's funny is that back when this was first drawn, people probably didn't bat an eye about babies getting into drawers and such. But due to the sliding timeline making this take place around 2021, the mom looks irresponsible for not bothering to childproof the cupboards.

April is fully under the sink here, where most people keep their cleaning supplies. To be fair, I don't see any here so maybe child-proofing in this family involved putting the bleach in a higher cupboard or something. I hope so.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amigolupus posted:

This is extremely cursed.
If the last line had just been something simple like "Awww poo poo" then this would've been fine. But saying "there's no accomplishment without sacrifice" just comes across as the mom acting like a martyr again.

Living in a childproofed house is pain in the dick. I only have the cabinet with the chemicals safetied, my kids can get into the dishcloths and pots and pans all they want. It beats having to deal with the safety lock every drat time.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EBB posted:

art berman was a simp for the fed

Wonder if there's one of these where it's "Gold standard" And now! wow! "Fiat currency."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (June 9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (June 4, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: It's the commencement issue, so graduations all around!

(Alice Harvey)

(Don Herold)

(Paul Reilly)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Presto posted:

Oh Petey, little buddy, let me tell you about Brood X cicadas.

You mean like this?

I made the mistake of going outside today.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vargo posted:

I really don't understand the point of these "Flash Forward" strips.

Breaking Cat News

I like some of them, in fact there's a lot I'd have loved to see go to full production, but I don't really either? I thought it was supposed to be a thing where they'd gauge reactions to find someone to reboot it, but they just... haven't? How long has it been going on now?

Anyways, my parents got a cleaning bot, not a Roomba but a knock-off, for Christmas a few years back, and my God is it the dumbest motherfucker. Maybe I just expected too much from them, but it cannot find its way around a room to save its life (I'm not sure it's ever cleaned an entire room on its own), and when its finished cleaning it cannot find its way back to the charging station (and a few times has run out its battery just inches from the dock after spending nearly 30 minutes bumping the walls around it). My dad tried to use it to clean the upstairs, but had to stop because it detected it was about to take a tumble down the stairs, realised it shouldn't do that, then it turned around so its sensors were facing away from the stairs and reversed? It's not good at its job, but we love the dumb bastard anyway.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 30th, 1940

So, I looked at the newspaper's movies section, since it's neat to find articles about various old movies, and for some reason this was in there?

I dunno what it has to do with the movies, but ok.

Axa

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

catlord posted:

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 30th, 1940

I'm taking a minute to appreciate the irony of professional detective Dinky Dinkerton being called in to solve the mystery of one guy getting a free ride to work every day while kid detective Enclycopedia Brown is being called in to solve actual international crimes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

catlord posted:

So, I looked at the newspaper's movies section, since it's neat to find articles about various old movies, and for some reason this was in there?

One radio station I listen to plays old advertisements, and every time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyO56xHHU-Y comes on I can't help but grin.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bruceski posted:

One radio station I listen to plays old advertisements, and every time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyO56xHHU-Y comes on I can't help but grin.

drat that's good, I don't blame you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine needing two whole alligator suitcases to be a threat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/6/01

Brenda Starr 8/15-17/46

Smokey Stover 7/27/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

"The Awakening" is no longer at Hains Point since 2007; it's been relocated to the National Harbor, as seen here:

Bonus Ad! Speaking of movies. I'm getting mixed messages here:

(Incidentally, the theater that showed these classics is now the Brooklyn Academy of Music's Harvey Theater and a pretty cool building.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 7, 2021

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

April is fully under the sink here, where most people keep their cleaning supplies. To be fair, I don't see any here so maybe child-proofing in this family involved putting the bleach in a higher cupboard or something. I hope so.
I swear I've seen a foob strip where the kid was flat out in the cleaning supplies. It may have been a different strip, but it rings very true for foob.

Child how dare you get poisoned

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

this strip just perfectly encapsulates the laziness that is Dustin. Somebody saying "seriously?" check. "Women be shopping spending money"? check. Groan-inducing pun as the punchline? check.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1401781444762951689

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sweetguts posted:

this strip just perfectly encapsulates the laziness that is Dustin. Somebody saying "seriously?" check. "Women be shopping spending money"? check. Groan-inducing pun as the punchline? check.

Men's shirts are also definitely $70+, especially if you're a loving lawyer and need to wear decent clothing.

Ed, as written by Steve Kelley, is 100% rolling up at work at a law firm wearing some poo poo George brand shirt he got at Walmart. They were a two-for-fifteen-dollars clearance rack deal.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

I guess this is made by templates or something, cause Curtis is stepping on the sofa and his hand is front of the newspaper. Pretty funky perspective overall.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:nice:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

I swear I've seen a foob strip where the kid was flat out in the cleaning supplies. It may have been a different strip, but it rings very true for foob.

Child how dare you get poisoned

Look, if your guardian angel didn't whisper to you to lock the cleaning supplies away then clearly it's the child's fault for getting poisoned.

:five:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: father-daughter bonding (October 7-13, 2001)

1. We get the first confirmation of Ralph's age: he's 30 (he was 16 when he had Corrie, 14 years ago).

2. They moved... Remarkably fast. It seems Corrie moved in with Ralph the very next day after they figured out they're related.

3. They're being remarkably chill about the fact that, a scant two years ago, Corrie skinned Ralph alive.

Also the comments for this series of strips are full-on fatshaming Ralph because why not.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kazinsal posted:

Men's shirts are also definitely $70+, especially if you're a loving lawyer and need to wear decent clothing.

Ed, as written by Steve Kelley, is 100% rolling up at work at a law firm wearing some poo poo George brand shirt he got at Walmart. They were a two-for-fifteen-dollars clearance rack deal.

That $70 was for getting the dress cleaned, not for a new dress.
e: not that I've priced how much it costs to get a shirt dry-cleaned.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 5/24-26/43

Get a load of Higgins and the Ape goosestepping in the last panel just in case you missed they were Nazis.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Nope. Not about bees.

Jules, don't go all Jam Esallan on us!

https://santacruzmountains.com/ecotourism/mountain-lions/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 23, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 23, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 23, 1989)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (September 23, 1989)

That's... very very evil. :stare:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 12, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Aug. 12, 1945)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "78 - Jucika In The Deep Waters Of Lake Balaton"

I can't believe Jucika is loving dead.

"How Jucika's Dress Became Fashionable"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Balaton

quote:

Max. length 78 km (48 mi)
Max. width 14 km (8.7 mi)
Surface area 600 km2 (230 sq mi)
Average depth 3.3 m (11 ft)
Max. depth 12.2 m (40 ft)

It's basically a very big wading pool.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

....why not just draw that, Billingsley?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 12, 1945)

Dude in the red scarf there is ready to gently caress some poo poo UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You're a lawyer, that's less than your hourly rate.

Vargo posted:

Curtis

....why not just draw that, Billingsley?