Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I asked about leasing vs. buying a week ago and everyone basically said "poo poo's a little weird right now so leasing is as good as buying". Back in May, you yourself said to lease everything except Tesla--what changed?

The difference is the intent to keep the car, rather than lease or buy a different car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Whether leasing makes sense or not depends entirely on the terms of the lease just like whether financing is good or not depends entirely on the terms of the financing. There’s no perfect flowchart you can use to make the lease or buy decision. It depends on the specific car, the specific terms, your financial situation, and how long you are likely to keep the vehicle.

The above deal is extremely lovely not because it’s a lease but because they are “hiding” 8 or 9k of your cap cost reduction to keep as profit. The numbers you need to know to evaluate a lease are capitalized cost, residual and money factor. You can generally ask on Leasehackr for that info since you can’t always trust the dealership to be forthright.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
You can always check the price on a lease without the trade and just dump your car with Carvana/CarMax and pocket the cash too. I sold my last car to CarMax for $6000 when the dealership was offering $1000 for the trade.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

This is what my mom drives. She hauls around a ton of gardening stuff and sometimes stuff her farmer brother needs moved between the plots. Pulls light rack wagons or empty seed wagons.
It's rusted out and it's why I think the lightning is perfect for her.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Whether leasing makes sense or not depends entirely on the terms of the lease just like whether financing is good or not depends entirely on the terms of the financing. There’s no perfect flowchart you can use to make the lease or buy decision. It depends on the specific car, the specific terms, your financial situation, and how long you are likely to keep the vehicle.

The above deal is extremely lovely not because it’s a lease but because they are “hiding” 8 or 9k of your cap cost reduction to keep as profit. The numbers you need to know to evaluate a lease are capitalized cost, residual and money factor. You can generally ask on Leasehackr for that info since you can’t always trust the dealership to be forthright.

Another place to check if you're interested in leasing is Edmunds forums, you can just Google "Manufacturer Model Lease Rates Edmunds" and you'll find a thread where they have Edmunds employees publishing the money factor(interest), lease incentives and residuals for specific trims and zip codes. Once you have those you can just plug in the MSRP of the exact car you're looking at into a lease calculator along with your down payment/trade-in/credit/etc. and find out what you SHOULD be paying if the dealership isn't playing games.

The manufacturers set the terms for leasing, if the dealerships not following them to a T it's the same as them charging you over MSRP or jacking up the interest rate on a regular loan and pocketing the difference. Unfortunately with the manufacturing delays and inventory levels going on right now some amount of this may be unavoidable if you really need to buy a car right now.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I asked about leasing vs. buying a week ago and everyone basically said "poo poo's a little weird right now so leasing is as good as buying". Back in May, you yourself said to lease everything except Tesla--what changed?

Leasing is ok and buying is ok. Leasing with the intention of buying the car later seems unwise.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I'm coming up on 6 months of owning my Model 3. Haven't had any issues with it, 3800 miles so far. My wife took it on a bit of a road trip a couple weeks ago and we discovered we've got free supercharging for a year (I thought we missed the end of the quarter delivery push, but still got it). Trips in the car were the one thing she was still unsure of, but pretty much every time she wanted to stop there was a supercharger to top up the car. And that's going from Illinois to Ohio, not a charger dense area like California. Two new chargers opened just after her trip, which would have made it even easier.

She also discovered a fun trick when picking someone up from the airport on her trip. So the airports in Chicago are very serious about keeping any cars from loitering around the pickup area. If you're stopped for 20 seconds without someone starting to get into your car you'll get an angry traffic manager yelling at you to move or get a ticket. Now the airport in Cleveland operates in a different manner, and had 3 lanes absolutely clogged with cars waiting for someone to come out. The friend she was picking up was asking for the description of the car to be able to find it in the crowd, and was just told "It will be the one that sounds like an ice cream truck." And my wife uses the silly boombox thing to make ice cream truck music start playing out the pedestrian warning speaker, and the oddest thing happened: cars started just moving out of the way for her. Like Moses parting the sea, she was easily able to pick up her friend and also easily make her way back out. I can only imagine the confusion the other drivers must have felt. "I don't know why that car is playing music, but maybe I should move for them in case it's important."

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here I am again with lease questions. We went down to the local VW dealer and talked out a lease for an ID.4 1st Edition. Playing with the numbers it seems ok, but I wanted to run it past the thread before we go sign things in the morning. Here's the details:

• 36 month lease, 12k mi/yr
  • MSRP $45190
  • At signing: $8000 trade-in from existing car, $9000 in the federal+CA credits and rebates
  • $453/mo
  • $22143 residual ($24301 if you take 9.75% sales tax into account)

We intend to buy at the end of the lease period, barring uhhh moving to the middle of nowhere or something.

As I figure it, we end up paying $15,855 across 35 monthly payments, plus $24301, for a total of $40156. If you take into account the $8000 of the trade-in, that's $48156 from us... which sort of makes me feel like "what happened to that $9k in rebates & tax credits?"

I haven't bought a new car in a decade, and I haven't leased ever, so if someone wants to tell me I'm getting taken for a ride, go for it.

This deal sucks. Even worse, you absolutely do not want to put down $8k down on a lease. If you total the car leaving the dealership, you’re out $8k.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

borkencode posted:

I'm coming up on 6 months of owning my Model 3. Haven't had any issues with it, 3800 miles so far. My wife took it on a bit of a road trip a couple weeks ago and we discovered we've got free supercharging for a year (I thought we missed the end of the quarter delivery push, but still got it). Trips in the car were the one thing she was still unsure of, but pretty much every time she wanted to stop there was a supercharger to top up the car. And that's going from Illinois to Ohio, not a charger dense area like California. Two new chargers opened just after her trip, which would have made it even easier.

She also discovered a fun trick when picking someone up from the airport on her trip. So the airports in Chicago are very serious about keeping any cars from loitering around the pickup area. If you're stopped for 20 seconds without someone starting to get into your car you'll get an angry traffic manager yelling at you to move or get a ticket. Now the airport in Cleveland operates in a different manner, and had 3 lanes absolutely clogged with cars waiting for someone to come out. The friend she was picking up was asking for the description of the car to be able to find it in the crowd, and was just told "It will be the one that sounds like an ice cream truck." And my wife uses the silly boombox thing to make ice cream truck music start playing out the pedestrian warning speaker, and the oddest thing happened: cars started just moving out of the way for her. Like Moses parting the sea, she was easily able to pick up her friend and also easily make her way back out. I can only imagine the confusion the other drivers must have felt. "I don't know why that car is playing music, but maybe I should move for them in case it's important."

And then everybody stood up and clapped

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

• MSRP $45190
  • At signing: $8000 trade-in from existing car, $9000 in the federal+CA credits and rebates
  • $453/mo
If you take these numbers and punch them into the calculator linked by particle9 and play with the "money factor" until the payments are ~$453/mo, they are charging you ~14.6% APR, which is fuckin' highway robbery these days.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 6, 2021

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

particle9 posted:

Leasing is ok and buying is ok. Leasing with the intention of buying the car later seems unwise.

Yes, you can think of leasing as a bet on the projected residual value - if the leasing company underestimates the depreciation you win by selling it, while if they overestimate you win by turning it in. This option costs money, so if you don't value the option then don't lease.

In the present environment when used car prices are so high it would probably make more sense to sell your leased vehicle rather than turn it in, for example.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bawfuls posted:

If you take these numbers and punch them into the calculator linked by particle9 and play with the "money factor" until the payments are ~$453/mo, they are charging you ~14.6% APR, which is fuckin' highway robbery these days.

Yeah either they hosed up somewhere along the line or they decided to try screwing us. Either way that deal isn't happening... thanks everyone for sanity checking that poo poo.

This place featured yet another salesman who doesn't understand how a tax credit works, so really it could be either, but you're probably best off assuming malice at a car dealership.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That interest rate screams "Stop by our dealership right outside your local military base! We're the ones with the American flag painted on the front windows! E-1 and above approved with no credit check!"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah either they hosed up somewhere along the line or they decided to try screwing us. Either way that deal isn't happening... thanks everyone for sanity checking that poo poo.

This place featured yet another salesman who doesn't understand how a tax credit works, so really it could be either, but you're probably best off assuming malice at a car dealership.

Dealerships generally start at abject incompetence and then slide down the scale from there.

We have a trainee who moved to the area and bought a near-poverty spec Hyundai from one of the local big-name conglomerate dealers. (The kind that has a dealership for literally every brand that is willing to deal with poo poo like that and advertises “BIGGEST VOLUME DEALER IN THE WORLD” instead of say, “We have good customer service.”)

One of her trainers asked about the car, got suspicious after the description of the sales experience and gently asked if he could see the financing docs.

They had sold this trainee a car with a ~$20k MSRP for nearly $40k on some ridiculous seven or eight year note in order to keep the monthly payments believable. The trainer was livid, and brought his (lawyer) wife with him as he marched his trainee down to the dealership and got them to terminate the purchase contract and take the car back (after threatening to take it to Hyundai corporate.) Trainee ended up with an almost identical car from a different dealer with a much less predatory loan.

Dealerships are scum, and you should negotiate with them via flamethrower when at all possible.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here I am again with lease questions. We went down to the local VW dealer and talked out a lease for an ID.4 1st Edition. Playing with the numbers it seems ok, but I wanted to run it past the thread before we go sign things in the morning. Here's the details:

• MSRP $45190
  • $453/mo

We intend to buy at the end of the lease period, barring uhhh moving to the middle of nowhere or something.

As I figure it, we end up paying $15,855 across 35 monthly payments, plus $24301, for a total of $40156. If you take into account the $8000 of the trade-in, that's $48156 from us... which sort of makes me feel like "what happened to that $9k in rebates & tax credits?"

I haven't bought a new car in a decade, and I haven't leased ever, so if someone wants to tell me I'm getting taken for a ride, go for it.

I think I got a better deal with a Kia Niro EV.

36 mo. lease, 15k miles a year.
No trade in. $4k down, $2k rebate (4 months later from CA).

$348.90 a month.

I needed the 15k miles when I got this because I had a weekly commute from San Diego area to Los Angeles.

I intend to get the commercial F150 EV with the 300 mile range option when the lease is done, hook up a trailer, and become a nomad for a few years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You tuber battery life is getting his hands on a German spec Ionic 5 in just a few minutes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VideoGameVet posted:

I think I got a better deal with a Kia Niro EV.

36 mo. lease, 15k miles a year.
No trade in. $4k down, $2k rebate (4 months later from CA).

$348.90 a month.

I needed the 15k miles when I got this because I had a weekly commute from San Diego area to Los Angeles.

I intend to get the commercial F150 EV with the 300 mile range option when the lease is done, hook up a trailer, and become a nomad for a few years.
KIA still has the Federal rebate/credit/whichever, did you not put it to the cost of the lease?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Has anyone picked up the oem model 3 spoiler from Tesla? I'm tempted to get one after I take delivery. There are a lot of $150-200 third party spoilers, but I imagine they're not functional. An actual spoiler is usually kinda pricey, right? (edit: Tesla's is $800 w/ installation included, not that spoilers are tough to install)

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 6, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CannonFodder posted:

KIA still has the Federal rebate/credit/whichever, did you not put it to the cost of the lease?

The dealer did. Hence the decent lease $$$ for a 15k mile/year lease.

If I had waited a month, I could have gotten an insane lease on the Bolt.

Oh well, the Niro is better anyway.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Please don’t ever put money down on a lease. First payment only DAS. If you have money burning a hole you can buy MSDs to drop or zero out the money factor.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

Has anyone picked up the oem model 3 spoiler from Tesla? I'm tempted to get one after I take delivery. There are a lot of $150-200 third party spoilers, but I imagine they're not functional. An actual spoiler is usually kinda pricey, right? (edit: Tesla's is $800 w/ installation included, not that spoilers are tough to install)

The OEM spoiler is so small I question it's usefulness (hence why I have a stealth performance that doesn't have one). Supposedly if you have them install it you can have them push a software update that uncorks the top speed from ~145 MPH to ~165 MPH but I fail to see the benefit in a daily driver and that top speed may only be available on the performance trim. Also Jason from the Engineering Explained channel on youtube had his installed by mobile service because the part wasn't available when they built his car and one side or the other of it has come loose a couple times already because the glue keeps failing.

Personally I couldn't justify spending $800 for what amounts to a cosmetic difference, if you like the look of the spoiler then knock yourself out though, nothing wrong with that. IMO if you don't have a stealth performance (so the 165 MPH upgrade is not possible), I'd go with self installing one of the third party ones since they are almost certainly the exact same thing epoxied down in the exact same way and should come with the guides needed to align it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

And then everybody stood up and clapped

That ice cream truck's name: Albert Einstein.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like Tesla has realized 4680 batteries aren't happening any time soon, the model s plaid+ is canceled because they've done extensive testing and realized no one needs a range of more than 400 miles. Somehow we'll still see bazingas posting that the cybertruck is better than the Lightning because it has a 500 mile range.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

looooooooool I guess Plaid+ is further out than anticipated. Tesla..... facing delays......??? Honestly probably trying to avoid people waiting for Plaid+ when they want to sell Plaids. Which... makes sense given they have sold almost no model S cars this year, and those were really profitable afaik.

Sucks for people who ordered it tho and wanted 500 mi of range.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Charles posted:

You tuber battery life is getting his hands on a German spec Ionic 5 in just a few minutes.

Apparently they got like 220km at 130 km/hr target speed (120 avg) in the rain. The niro got 300km albeit in more ideal conditions

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

Apparently they got like 220km at 130 km/hr target speed (120 avg) in the rain. The niro got 300km albeit in more ideal conditions

I don't know why they're making the 20" wheel version. It's so thirsty

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

looooooooool I guess Plaid+ is further out than anticipated. Tesla..... facing delays......??? Honestly probably trying to avoid people waiting for Plaid+ when they want to sell Plaids. Which... makes sense given they have sold almost no model S cars this year, and those were really profitable afaik.

Sucks for people who ordered it tho and wanted 500 mi of range.

Yeah, I definitely don't buy the "plaid plain is good enough" comment from Elon. In terms of "lol not fooling anyone" lame excuses that is probably in the top 3. I would make the same guess: the 4680 production won't be at high enough volume/yield to satisfy that much demand, so the + is off the menu for the foreseeable future.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Anyone here have experience with any of the portable level 2 chargers? For example - Mustart Travel Master and AxFast, I know there are a bunch more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shamino posted:

Please don’t ever put money down on a lease. First payment only DAS. If you have money burning a hole you can buy MSDs to drop or zero out the money factor.

And just to clarify, your trade in is money down.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My boss just let me drive his model 3 he picked up yesterday, that was an expensive thing I just did as now I need to sell my Jeep and buy a Telsa.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I hope you can wait to buy your Tesla since supply and demand isn't in your favor. Can you wait a year or 2?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hope you can wait to buy your Tesla since supply and demand isn't in your favor. Can you wait a year or 2?

Ya I know there's a wait list right now. He ordered his 3 long range at the end of April.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

That's less than I was hoping for. Was that the RWD with 20" wheels or AWD?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi I'm on a road trip. DC charging right now.

I'm realizing that a 250kW supercharger would actually suck here because I wouldn't have time to run in to Starbucks, I'd have to sit out there so I don't rack up idle fees.

Hmm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cruft posted:

Hi I'm on a road trip. DC charging right now.

I'm realizing that a 250kW supercharger would actually suck here because I wouldn't have time to run in to Starbucks, I'd have to sit out there so I don't rack up idle fees.

Hmm.

Can't you set a max charge rate?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can't you set a max charge rate?

There’s a tiny number of EVs out there that restrict DCFC rates of speed: Energica and Porsche’s Taycan are all I can think of at the moment.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Needs a set of buttons to tell it how much to slow down: "buying a coffee", "taking a poo poo", "getting lunch"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Needs a set of buttons to tell it how much to slow down: "buying a coffee", "taking a poo poo", "getting lunch"

It’s probably not going to happen unless if the charging stations can override the users’ preferences to get people to free up high demand locations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tesla charging station camping mode (called "Fame mode" for maximum user friendliness) when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Gunslinger posted:

That's less than I was hoping for. Was that the RWD with 20" wheels or AWD?

Is there a RWD with 20" wheels? It's the AWD and the tires are 255 width too, which might be the real difference.