Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Catching up with yesterday's comics, will do today's later on.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Apparently Jeffy chews cloth as much as my cat does.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

El Spamo posted:

Dude in the red scarf there is ready to gently caress some poo poo UP

Prince Valiant and the Bisexual Murder Brigade: Here for vengeance and well accessorized.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

You are doing it entirely wrong.

The job of a game master is to create a fun story and environment for the players to enjoy. It's a cooperative game, you tell a tale and your players live it. You are not your players' enemy. If they're afraid of taking an action because they're afraid you're going to spring a mean and unfair trap on them (rightly, as it turns out), you're doing it wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mikl posted:

The job of a game master is to create a fun story and environment for the players to enjoy. It's a cooperative game, you tell a tale and your players live it. You are not your players' enemy. If they're afraid of taking an action because they're afraid you're going to spring a mean and unfair trap on them (rightly, as it turns out), you're doing it wrong.

I take it you're not familiar with Jason's personality.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mikl posted:

This is true but also some players prefer a player vs dm style where everything is a puzzle and you're expected to gently caress around and find out, then go back and figure out what to do from there. That's where Tomb of Horrors comes from. Obviously the joke is he's doing even that style wrong, but the idea that tabletop can be adversarial doesn't come from nowhere.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

PetraCore posted:

This is true but also some players prefer a player vs dm style where everything is a puzzle and you're expected to gently caress around and find out, then go back and figure out what to do from there. That's where Tomb of Horrors comes from. Obviously the joke is he's doing even that style wrong, but the idea that tabletop can be adversarial doesn't come from nowhere.

Granted, but you don't build an entire campaign out of that. It's a single module, one or two sessions at most, before switching it up.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 4, 1993)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

I 100% agree with you, in general

But if Jason and his friends all want to play that way, then it sounds like they are doing it very, very correctly

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Bloop posted:

But if Jason and his friends all want to play that way, then it sounds like they are doing it very, very correctly

Sometimes you just want to bring back The Old Laws and run Tomb of Horrors.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mikl posted:

Isn' this like reading Beetle Bailey and thinking "wait a minute...this isn't how a military camp is supposed to be run".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Bloop posted:

Sounds like they would be better off playing Paranoia.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Fantasy-themed Paranoia is a hoot btw

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I really don't understand the point of these "Flash Forward" strips.

catlord posted:

I like some of them, in fact there's a lot I'd have loved to see go to full production, but I don't really either? I thought it was supposed to be a thing where they'd gauge reactions to find someone to reboot it, but they just... haven't? How long has it been going on now?
I guess if you're considering Flash Forward and Popeye's Cartoon Club to be the same thing, then it's been going on since 2019. FF itself has been going since late last year.

I always figured it was a way to try out new artists to set up a reboot or just try out new talent, and when Randy Milholland did all those Popeyes I thought that might be the case, but nothing came of that.

I wonder if it has to do with copyrights—like you have to use the character in new ways to extend it.

Anyways, I think I've said it before but Popeye lends itself to this experiment far better than Flash Gordon. I'll probably keep on posting them though because I do like seeing different artists do their thing. I just wish there was a consistent underlying story to these.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Later that night, Rusty calls Cherry to come take him home as he has trouble sleeping after Robert's USS Indianapolis story.

Mary Worth

"You're right! I can!"

The End.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

No pressure or anything. Just asking you to marry me in front of everyone we know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
An rpg-podcast with a murderous rear end in a top hat DM sounds like a fresh alternative for popular options that are narrative and character focused, but lack suspense, because you know that they don't want to kill those beloved characters.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like the Foxtrot joke would have worked a lot better if, instead of it being twelve hours of the players debating whether to enter the dungeon, it was twelve hours of them preparing buffs and rolling spot checks for traps. And then the same ending.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (September 4, 1993)

If this story arc doesn't end with Rauno dead in a ditch because he pissed off his mob connections then I don't know what's even the point of giving this little fucker so much focus.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Historical news corner: So so there's been some problems with gasoline supply around this time that a modern reader may have heard of.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Apparently old Mandrake actually cared about avoiding the 'if it's just hypnosis, why would people who weren't in the room at the time be affected by it?' plot holes someone was complaining about.

Johnny Hazard

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

If this story arc doesn't end with Rauno dead in a ditch because he pissed off his mob connections then I don't know what's even the point of giving this little fucker so much focus.

I was thinking he could get it with the same axe he threw in a lake, that piece of poo poo, it was a real Billnäs.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I gotta say, I was pretty excited about Jules taking over (or maybe just Jam leaving), but I’m not super into how they’ve been structuring it. There have been some excellent individual strips here and there, but (God forgive me) it’s a lot of Luannish dropping-the-storyline-abruptly.
(Jules, I’m so sorry, no one deserves to be compared to the Evanses!)

quote:

The Phantom

Savarna :swoon::swoon::swoon:

[/b]Classic Zits[/b]

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I gotta say, I was pretty excited about Jules taking over (or maybe just Jam leaving), but I’m not super into how they’ve been structuring it. There have been some excellent individual strips here and there, but (God forgive me) it’s a lot of Luannish dropping-the-storyline-abruptly.
(Jules, I’m so sorry, no one deserves to be compared to the Evanses!)
She does seem to be doing a "back and forth between the A and B plots" thing vs Luann's "well we're just stopping this storyline now, hope you weren't interested in what was going to happen", but it doesn't really work that well since the A and B plots aren't connected at all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry, Previously, on Blueberry, or Quanah gets upset at Governor Armendariz, or Bad news for Crowe...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

She does seem to be doing a "back and forth between the A and B plots" thing vs Luann's "well we're just stopping this storyline now, hope you weren't interested in what was going to happen", but it doesn't really work that well since the A and B plots aren't connected at all.
Yeah, in Jules' defense, she does finish the stories.

I don't think this was the best time to switch stories since Mark literally just started a fight, but I don't have much problem with switching between the stories in general. It is not the norm in newspaper comic strips though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominwinter (Just in time to cool you off)

Wow the stories in this volume are long. Vol 4 had 5 stories, Vol 5 has 3.
These are all written by Lars, drawn by Tove. It is the final such volume, once vol 6 hits, it's supposedly all Lars.

Lunch

Anyone who's used NC headsets know they don't do much against voices, but both of these strips showcase something that's always rubbed me the wrong way about Lunch.
Nearly every single interaction I've seen with the support staff (receptionists, IT guy, etc) are borderline antagonistic or negative, and they're regularly portrayed as lazy and generally avoiding work etc.
I don't think I've ever seen a positive interaction between them and the main staff, though I haven't seen -that- many lunch strips.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 7, 2021

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

amigolupus posted:

I assume it's building up to that. Or maybe the creator just sat bolt upright in bed one night and said "That's it! I'll make the comic all about its most repulsive character!"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kid Fenris posted:

I assume it's building up to that. Or maybe the creator just sat bolt upright in bed one night and said "That's it! I'll make the comic all about its most repulsive character!"

Pretty sure you just described Batiuk there. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set will watch it with the commentary later.

Working Daze will take that advice into consideration.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is behind the times.

Cul De Sac is like a ninja.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

I wish you could slap this around an old friend of mine who DM'd every game we did, but her thing was to never give out any real info, even the smallest details, outside of play. So even asking "hey is this dude with us?" would result in "NO OOC chat!" Her favorite trick was to force your character to use some future-sight mirror (literally, she would make your char walk back to loving pick it up) and then to twist everything the mirror showed, of course. Like a mob scene with one of your allies about to be hung, and she would force the game that way, no matter what we made our chars do. When we complained it was less a game and more her controlling everything, she got snippy and said if we were bored, we could do something else.

Comic wise, uh, how old is Rauno supposed to be? I can't keep up with the pacing of this comic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish you could slap this around an old friend of mine who DM'd every game we did, but her thing was to never give out any real info, even the smallest details, outside of play. So even asking "hey is this dude with us?" would result in "NO OOC chat!" Her favorite trick was to force your character to use some future-sight mirror (literally, she would make your char walk back to loving pick it up) and then to twist everything the mirror showed, of course. Like a mob scene with one of your allies about to be hung, and she would force the game that way, no matter what we made our chars do. When we complained it was less a game and more her controlling everything, she got snippy and said if we were bored, we could do something else.

Comic wise, uh, how old is Rauno supposed to be? I can't keep up with the pacing of this comic.

I think he's like, early 20s? He might still be in his teens.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Hey, was anybody remotely interested in Bernice smooching Nil again? Well, gently caress you!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

[Taiyaki is a pancake-batter cake with a (usually) sweet filling that's made in the shape of a fish.]

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 19, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 1, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 17, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 23, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 24, 1935)

Mopsy (February 22, 1937)

Dark Laughter (February 16, 1946)

Those Were the Days (September 3, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (November 11, 1965)

Wee Pals (September 11, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, was anybody remotely interested in Bernice smooching Nil again? Well, gently caress you!

Finally, someone I don't hate in this strip.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 10-11, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 13-16, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Nil received the kiss of death twice. Odds are he’s never seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ Gunther, loving go to her house. It's been weeks. If you want closure, then go get closure!