Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Seems like a perfect chance to get an easy scan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Re subnautica 1, does this game have kind of wonky controller support? X360 pad dpad isn't working properly, and the triggers are reversed. Using the other controller profiles things are even crazier (triggers move the camera lol)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

Re subnautica 1, does this game have kind of wonky controller support? X360 pad dpad isn't working properly, and the triggers are reversed. Using the other controller profiles things are even crazier (triggers move the camera lol)

I played it on PC with an Xbone controller and things were perfectly fine.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How much do I have to go north in below zero. I did the Scan thing I needed for the thing I’m building. Because holy poo poo that stuff in the snow is annoying.

Is the thing I need for the Sam storyline south?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

LionArcher posted:

How much do I have to go north in below zero. I did the Scan thing I needed for the thing I’m building. Because holy poo poo that stuff in the snow is annoying.

Is the thing I need for the Sam storyline south?

If you're talking about the snow worm area, the scan for ALAN's body is the only thing of note besides a bunch of resources everywhere. The stuff for Sam's storyline is all between Phi Robotics and the Frozen Leviathan cave.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Who's got two thumbs and JUST now found out you can charge up stasis shots? This guy!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VectorSigma posted:

I think I'll just stay out of this one...

You almost have to dive into that one, but dammit if Ventgardens and Eye Jellies weren't the worst creatures. Not because they are harmful, but they gave me the willies.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought vent gardens were the worst because they look so exciting and interesting and there’s just…nothing to do in them? Grab a couple plants and that’s it. Lame. Give me some cool opportunity for climbing in there.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I thought vent gardens were the worst because they look so exciting and interesting and there’s just…nothing to do in them? Grab a couple plants and that’s it. Lame. Give me some cool opportunity for climbing in there.

100% this

the game even counts them as leviathan-class lifeforms for some reason, in reality they’re just oversized corals

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the reason is that they are huge and "leviathan class" just means huge?

Geez, I just scanned the last thingy for the guy, then went all the way back to the base to build the stuff... not realizing that not only can I not do it there, but also, through having to spoil since no breadcrumbs and I feel I've been everywhere... but I have to go back to where I was, to find something there. Thing is, I jus tbeen up and down that place looking for a dang creature to scan, not to mention finding the pit to scan the alien thing. I think that's one of the worst areas of the game, crystal caves. every part of it looks too similar, even driving just straight feels like a circle.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 6, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What a tease of an ending! And if I recall, they're not making a third next... I get they want a break from ocean-game, but... wouldn't this be it? I guess that's a whole other challenge though, would Subnautica 3 with no water still be Subnautica, even if in-universe it makes sense?

Everyone's already said everything about relative goodness of the game. Thought about going back to jazz up my base and take pictures. build the last amenities I hadn't yet, but didn't.

Two lingering questions: Do rock lobsters just breed like crazy, i barely remember putting that egg in there and now there's heaps of em.

Did the Triops (not the fish that goes in aquariums) egg or whatever have special interactions I missed? PDA said something about bonding with humans, vaguely recall some special dolphin baby orb fish from the first that had some special stuff I missed or only did last minute.

Game's high point: First half hour, first encounter with sea monkeys scared/excited to see if it's friendly or not, then it sangs your stuff and you chase it to a nest. Also being frozen by the ice-spit fish and worrying I was going to drown or did drown. First time getting snagged by a, snagging-plant thing. The ice-spit seems like something they should've stuck on a leviathan or elsewhere at least once more.

Game's low point: Any time you got back to base to hear a new jukebox track found and it's another weird rap song about playing the videogame Subnautica.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I... never built the juke box. It sounds like I won on that front?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Definitely. The only reason I'd even leave it on was because it was kind of nice to have that muffled-music audio cue as a proximity radius for your base... except it wasn't persistent between play sessions and would be off when you return next day anyway.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Khanstant posted:

What a tease of an ending! And if I recall, they're not making a third next... I get they want a break from ocean-game, but... wouldn't this be it? I guess that's a whole other challenge though, would Subnautica 3 with no water still be Subnautica, even if in-universe it makes sense?

It would be weird to have a new Subnautica game and not have it take place in water, so it makes sense that after working on Subnautica games for 8 years the developers need a break.

Khanstant posted:

Did the Triops (not the fish that goes in aquariums) egg or whatever have special interactions I missed? PDA said something about bonding with humans, vaguely recall some special dolphin baby orb fish from the first that had some special stuff I missed or only did last minute.

I think you are referring to the Trivalve, it's like the cuddlefish in the first game. When it has hatched you need to pick it up and then drop it when in the ocean then you can interact with it.

Khanstant posted:

Game's low point: Any time you got back to base to hear a new jukebox track found and it's another weird rap song about playing the videogame Subnautica.

The jukebox is cool and there are several good songs to be found. From what I recall there are only two rap songs.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I don’t think they’ll ever do a Subnautica 2, much less a third. I think it’s much more likely they’ll subcontract it out, which seems like a far better option than having the same people mess up a third time.

I’m any case, I’d bet actual money the Below Zero storyline is over and done with and won’t be picked back up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Khanstant posted:

lmao I forgot to turn it on after the first two songs I found, sounds like I missed out

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Comrade Koba posted:

I don’t think they’ll ever do a Subnautica 2, much less a third. I think it’s much more likely they’ll subcontract it out, which seems like a far better option than having the same people mess up a third time.

I’m any case, I’d bet actual money the Below Zero storyline is over and done with and won’t be picked back up.

The ending leaves a perfect opening for a new Subnautica on a new planet though. Sure there were a lot of buildings there but nothing says the rest of the planet couldn't be mostly submerged. Plus if the aliens were from another water type world, it would explain why the aliens bothered with, um, 1234b to begin with.

So yeah, Subnautica 2 on alien planet, with a weird-rear end mix of alien and human tech, and give it to people with a better sense of how make game good.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Appsro in the new Neebs episode found a way into the Mining base with the truckster that i've never seen before.
At least a new tunnel.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I’m playing the original on series X and the framerate seems not so great at times and inconsistent. Guess the game just has some fundamental jank, like the second Deus Ex.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it’s very likely that they will do a third game, the first game was very successful and it is my impression that Below Zero is also doing well also.
The bugs in the first game, and the minor issues of pacing and storytelling in the new one aren’t really a cause of concern.

They are both truly great games in my opinion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ah yes, they can just subcontract out to another studio with experience making a critically acclaimed and commercially successful game that is just like Subnautica, who have made only technically and narratively flawless games, such as,

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
Am very much enjoying below zero but my breadcrumbs appear to have gone cold...

I have found two out of 3 parts for Alan... including getting down to crystal caves. But I don’t really know where I’m supposed to be going for Sam?? Have found all Alterra bases on map except Omega. Found margarit and turned off the satellite but she just told me she was working with Sam to blow up something?? The pdas I found referred to frozen leviathan and I haven’t found that. I can make spy penglings and feel like I should but why?? There was a bridge that needed repairing I found really early but couldn’t make the fluid, but I think I can now - should I go there?

I have a pretty cool seatruck and a nice base, not built a prawn yet. Very much enjoyed the first game and agree this one feels smaller but there’s a lot crammed into the map vertically?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

I’m playing the original on series X and the framerate seems not so great at times and inconsistent. Guess the game just has some fundamental jank, like the second Deus Ex.

Even the PC version was janky like that. Tons of hitching and pop-in. It's just a rough game. I loved it despite those flaws.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You pointed out two-three things in your post to follow up on regarding where to go/what to do next so I don't know if I'd say the breadcrumb trail has gone cold.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Beast posted:

Am very much enjoying below zero but my breadcrumbs appear to have gone cold...

I have found two out of 3 parts for Alan... including getting down to crystal caves. But I don’t really know where I’m supposed to be going for Sam?? Have found all Alterra bases on map except Omega. Found margarit and turned off the satellite but she just told me she was working with Sam to blow up something?? The pdas I found referred to frozen leviathan and I haven’t found that. I can make spy penglings and feel like I should but why?? There was a bridge that needed repairing I found really early but couldn’t make the fluid, but I think I can now - should I go there?

I have a pretty cool seatruck and a nice base, not built a prawn yet. Very much enjoyed the first game and agree this one feels smaller but there’s a lot crammed into the map vertically?

How do you know youve found every base but Omega? Was it with a map you may have found? If so it should be in your PDA.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Just finished below zero. Good game and I liked the new base options, but I don't think I used the prawn suit once and the seatruck, while a fun idea, was functionally just a seamoth. I don't think it helped that I didn't find blueprints for most of the modules until way late in the game when there was no real need to use them. I also missed having a real hefty vehicle like the cyclops. I'm not sure where subnautica can go as a series from here but I'd love to see a game that worked with similar survival mechanics and basebuilding in another setting.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Personally I really liked how the prawn suit made the overland parts of the BZ map completely trivial, rendering both the Snowfox and snow suit completely unnecessary aside from building them for their associated achievements.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Another Below Zero-finisher here. I loved revisiting Subnautica via it.
Like many have said, the above ground-stuff was not very good, but wasn't a make-or-break factor for me. The breadcrumbing didn't work as well as in the original, and it felt like the game didn't really build towards a climactic final area. I randomly explored the crystal caves midway through the game, simply because I had the upgrades to be able to do so. The final areas of the original were more restricted until you were ready, so the payoff of getting there felt awesome. That's how I experienced it at least.

But all in all - I expected a scaled down run, and had a great time with it! The ending was nice.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure where subnautica can go as a series from here but I'd love to see a game that worked with similar survival mechanics and basebuilding in another setting.

I want it to go full-on horror. Make a Subnautica that's scary as gently caress. They have a good base for it.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice

Dyz posted:

How do you know youve found every base but Omega? Was it with a map you may have found? If so it should be in your PDA.

Yep, sorry, I found a map somewhere... it is in my pda - I think I found it at outpost zero but can’t remember..

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Honestly I just want the same game as subnautica, with the various QOL/graphics improvements of BZ, but set on a totally different planet. I love the scary exploration and the "where am I and what the hell is going on?" factor which I felt BZ lacked partially due to the planet already being familiar. I want new alien fish to scan.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

I think it’s very likely that they will do a third game, the first game was very successful and it is my impression that Below Zero is also doing well also.
The bugs in the first game, and the minor issues of pacing and storytelling in the new one aren’t really a cause of concern.

They are both truly great games in my opinion.

The protagonist's primary goal is to find out what killed her sister. It's extremely easy to end up just not finishing that storyline and not even notice. I wouldn't call this a minor issue. Below Zero has some great ideas and cool environments, but the story is complete poo poo.

coolusername posted:

Honestly I just want the same game as subnautica, with the various QOL/graphics improvements of BZ, but set on a totally different planet. I love the scary exploration and the "where am I and what the hell is going on?" factor which I felt BZ lacked partially due to the planet already being familiar. I want new alien fish to scan.

This. What I want from a game like this is going deeper and deeper into unfamiliar and hauntingly beautiful biomes and getting ambushed by scary monsters. Not drive around on a scooter and pilot penguin robots - as cute as they are - into clearly marked holes.

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 7, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You don't notice because you get sidetracked on to a primary quest that seems more important and more interesting? I mean the Sam quest is kinda weak, but "protagonists' goals at the end != their goals at the start" is not some kind of inherently bad storytelling thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

I want it to go full-on horror. Make a Subnautica that's scary as gently caress. They have a good base for it.

It would also be great to make you feel threatened, Subnautica undercuts itself with very low stakes for death but also by making the threats all incredibly safe to manage. I was trying to scan one of SubZero's big spooky monsters, saved, expecting I would immediately die. Turns out, no, I can get physically snatched by the thing and live to swim away. Chomp a healthpack, it's like nothing happened. Still didn't get the scan though... it just swam too fast and was boring to chase and I wanted to get the game over with at that point.

The deepest biome in the game was one of the lamest, gave you no reason to explore it all outside the one point of interest. Wasn't even hard to get to just... took a long safe, boring, route through another really weak biome.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fangz posted:

You don't notice because you get sidetracked on to a primary quest that seems more important and more interesting? I mean the Sam quest is kinda weak, but "protagonists' goals at the end != their goals at the start" is not some kind of inherently bad storytelling thing.

Changing goals can be a good thing, but you can't seriously think it was well handled here. It was dropped halfway because they changed writers, period.

Also, it doesn't even make sense for Al-An to want to gently caress off so quickly. He's scared to tell Robin he caused the plague, so he obviously cares about it. But then he doesn't even bother telling Robin to inject the antidote so the virus is completely eradicated? That's just stupid.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think we can agree that the storyline is Pants. If there ever was a Subnautica 2, the BZ stuff would be dropped like a hot potato as it both doesn't have anything worth following up on, while also flogging to death all of the cool alien stuff from the first game.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I know we keep hammering the poor story plot-holes and bread crumbing at this point, but really what would have made it a lot better in the end:

Why couldn't AL-AN just add one more barrier to enter the portal? Not allow you to continue unless you cured the planet's last sample of Kharaa.

Subnautica 1 did this correctly. You could technically build the rocket and prep launch before disabling the quarantine enforcement platform. It just wouldn't let you launch.

Just have AL-AN say a line like "I can't in good faith go back knowing Kharaa is still here. Please rid the remnants of it here to help me feel at ease before we continue" or ANYTHING like that.

As it is, there really was no gameplay reason to find the Frozen Leviathan. The story dropped caring about Sam once you really got going on AL-AN's quest.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you played early access I think Sam was still alive in the early iterations, there was a space station thing she was in. You would get messages from her and could see the space station floating around in the sky. I only played EA a little bit though as I wanted to go into the game fresh when it was done but a lot of stuff seems to have been changed and I'd guess they spent a lot of time on that part of the story and then decided to change gears later on making a bunch of it pointless.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Going back to the original Subnautica after playing BZ, it's just a way better game. The technical issues are annoying, lag in bases keeps cropping up for me in particular but I can get over all of that for the sheer wonder and awe of its scope. BZ is too limited, I liked the environmental design and variety but too much of its design is narrow and the parts where it opens up (the snow biome for example) didn't land for me. I also ended up hopelessly lost too many times in BZ, something was just off with its environmental design and navigation, the breadcrumbs weren't as helpful.

I fixed my earlier complaint about the lack of auto-move hotkey in original Subnautica with a script to bind it to capslock and it made a huge difference.

Anyways liked them both a lot but prefer the original. I can't see myself replaying BZ at all but I've logged 100+ hours in the original and still come back to it. It's a shame we might not see a Subnautica 2 for a long time but I guess it's better they stay away from it when they're burnt out and try something new instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

If you played early access I think Sam was still alive in the early iterations, there was a space station thing she was in. You would get messages from her and could see the space station floating around in the sky. I only played EA a little bit though as I wanted to go into the game fresh when it was done but a lot of stuff seems to have been changed and I'd guess they spent a lot of time on that part of the story and then decided to change gears later on making a bunch of it pointless.

Yeah, this was definitely a thing. Also the game started with Robin being an Alterra employee working in the lab you visit right at the end of the game.

The earlier version also had a transport rocket instead of the antenna on the island and it seems like at some point in the plot you had to collect a Kharaa sample and send it to the space station using said rocket.