Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Marvel Xcom sounds really dumb, and I hope it's not actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

binge crotching posted:

Marvel Xcom sounds really dumb, and I hope it's not actually happening.

You know almost literally nothing about it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s enough

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
no one will ever produce anything worth a poo poo with the mouse riding herd on them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

uber_stoat posted:

no one will ever produce anything worth a poo poo with the mouse riding herd on them.

This is the main concern, yeah. I personally think superheroes are boring, but I've enjoyed some media in that genre. Disney, on the other hand, has been getting pretty notorious for churning out sanitized, mass-market cash-ins lately :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's not even the quality of products, it's the approach to IP, ownership and consumer power that has always been immanently corrosive across their entire portfolio. You don't want anybody you like to work under them, you don't want them close to touching anything with a fan community that contributes to the product

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Spiderman games were pretty good. Star Wars Squadrons was fun. I frankly don't get how Disney *could* have a malign influence over a Marvel XCOM-like. It's a strategy game, there's probably going to be barely a story. So what's supposed to happen, is the Mouse going to ban Black Widow from using overwatch?

Okay, there would probably be quite limited mod support, but that's like the only thing I can think of.

They made a Mario XCOM and it was good. There's no level of imposed 'sanitisation' and 'mass market appeal' that would make a XCOM type game bad. It's just a matter of how well the devs do their job. If it's the Life is Strange devs making a Marvel game I might be worried, but XCOM isn't that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 7, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The few times I played XCOM multi I had a squad of thin men and one XCOM sniper

They were "Bob from accounting", "A thin mint", "An XCOM rookie", "A sectoid", "Actually a thin man", and "A thin man" :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A Disney XCOM will allow precisely 0 modding, so gently caress that poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Neither did the Mario XCOM.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fangz posted:

Neither did the Mario XCOM.

I don't think anyone is surprised that a nintendo exclusive with their flagship character running exclusively on their console hardware didn't allow modding.

An XCOM-ish game from Firaxis not having any modding is obviously a very different thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

I don't think anyone is surprised that a nintendo exclusive with their flagship character running exclusively on their console hardware didn't allow modding.

An XCOM-ish game from Firaxis not having any modding is obviously a very different thing.

I'm not saying it's surprising or something, I'm saying it doesn't really matter as to whether this game is good or not. It'll come down to whether the devs find fun ways to remix the XCOM formula to fix the change of setting (like, say, the jumping mechanic they added to Mario). I suspect that what they'd probably do is make an XCOM that is more centred on ability use and melee combat, since that's what superheroes tend to be more into.

I've used my share of QoL mods before, but I thought Chimera squad worked well unmodded, so if people think that Firaxis is incapable of making a game that's good without getting the fan community to fix it for them, then that's quite a different problem.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 7, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Okay but then I can't use a nude Hulk mod

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i can't make all my guys Goku i will not be purchasing your product sir.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have a pronounced distaste for anything Avengers/Comic-EU related and could not give a flying gently caress about Hulk and Cyclops teaming up in beautifully curated scenarios. I don't care about mods, I just wanted more semi-expendable soldiers missing shots in hilarious ways. You know, Xcom.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fangz posted:

I frankly don't get how Disney *could* have a malign influence over a Marvel XCOM-like.

please go review the recent history with the game "Marvel's Avengers"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you think Disney is going to take a hands off approach with any property they own you got another thing coming buddy.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Worst case scenario is the game is a bogged down developmental nightmare with problems from all quarters, so I'm just hoping it's done as quickly and efficiently as possible with no needless flourishes and then back to the good modular stuff.

And no sad sequel hooks, like laser Cthulhu or voices that could have been anyone talking about anything.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fangz posted:

Star Wars Squadrons was fun.

Jedi: Fallen Order was pretty good too. Just because the last few Marvel games (except the Spiderman games and the LEGO ones) were kinda underwhelming doesn't necessarily mean anything other than some game studios made some mediocre games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I guess my question is what the gently caress is Avengers X-Com? Is it like Chimera squad where you have preset characters who all have unique builds? You'd have to revamp almost every system because 80% of the iconic Avengers are melee dudes and that absolutely doesn't play well with the kind of cover gameplay XCOM offers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hulk gets a laser LMG

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly if they do some stupid bullshit handwave "oh no the Kree have nullified our powers now everyone use these laser guns instead' and you just put normal XCOM gameplay in I'd be here for it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just want more superhero character creators and the idea that their making a cape XCOM without one leaves me cold.

Like I would tolerate all the bad Robert Downy Jr impersonators in world if I could bench them in favor of some dumb gimmick OC's.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Honestly if they do some stupid bullshit handwave "oh no the Kree have nullified our powers now everyone use these laser guns instead' and you just put normal XCOM gameplay in I'd be here for it.

Imagine I posted WWII vintage DC comics with a big old null zone all around Europe/important islands in the Pacific.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Crackpot prediction: it's a vantablack comedy in which your entire roster is made up of imperfect clones of Agent Coulson

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Retroactively surprised there isn't a mod to make Xcom 2: War of the Chosen into Agents of Hydra: War of the Avengers. "Street level" heroes for the chosen. Assassin=Spiderman; Hunter=Hawkeye; Warlock=Captain America. The first time the mission timer runs out one of these folks show up. Second timer brings in the "Cosmic level" folks. Berserker Queen=Hulk; Alpha Archon=Iron Man; Viper King=Captain Marvel? Third timer is a flat loss.

Minions share a level with their sponsoring supervillain. Deploying the actual villain gets you about 5X the experience, but the risk of permadeath of the entire group.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My biggest problem with marvel XCOM is that the whole XCOM experience of repeatedly eating poo poo until you figure out the systems and keeping it together when things go wrong is antithetical to the superhero concept. Superheroes are by definition very powerful so you can't very well feel oppressed by your enemies and the environment.

I guess chimera squad was halfway there but even in CS a bunch of your regular enemies had more hit points than you and almost everyone could hurt you.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Presumably the enemies will be super villains, who are usually 'stronger' than the superheroes until the final act, but they could also do XCOM : Civil War...

*game contains a single map : a featureless grey tarmac*

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i demand this thread pull up from doomsaying until we see a trailer. my words are backed by chess games

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's spelled dudesaying

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Bogart posted:

i demand this thread pull up from doomsaying until we see a trailer. my words are backed by chess games

If I knew anything about photoshop or image hosting you would already be seeing the XCOM Apocalypse box art with the logo switched out for the SHIELD logo. Much more fun than thinking about lawyers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

habituallyred posted:

If I knew anything about photoshop or image hosting you would already be seeing the XCOM Apocalypse box art with the logo switched out for the SHIELD logo. Much more fun than thinking about lawyers.

“S.H.I.E.L.D. of the Apocalypse”sounds like a :black101: game to me! :getin:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I learned there was a super Mario xcom

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mans posted:

A crossover with Rabbids, at that.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Mans posted:

It was good too! The creative director responsible for it famously cried as he was overwhelmed with emotion at getting to do it and getting congratulated by Shigeru Miyamoto!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hulk gets a laser LMG

Hulk is easy, just reskin Axiom.

Best Friends posted:

My biggest problem with marvel XCOM is that the whole XCOM experience of repeatedly eating poo poo until you figure out the systems and keeping it together when things go wrong is antithetical to the superhero concept. Superheroes are by definition very powerful so you can't very well feel oppressed by your enemies and the environment.

Also will Disney release a Marvel game that relies on you losing characters a bunch and taking lots of damage even at high levels of play?

BisbyWorl posted:

A crossover with Rabbids, at that.

I had never experienced the Rabbids before that and dammit, I kinda liked them in Kingdom Battle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I had never experienced the Rabbids before that and dammit, I kinda liked them in Kingdom Battle.

Mario x Rabbids is probably the best way to experience them because your party members are kinda charming and the enemies can be funny.

They were way more obnoxious in Rayman and were sort of the Minions before Minions got huge. They even did the thing where they eclipsed thier source and got a bunch of their own games and poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

habituallyred posted:

Retroactively surprised there isn't a mod to make Xcom 2: War of the Chosen into Agents of Hydra: War of the Avengers. "Street level" heroes for the chosen. Assassin=Spiderman; Hunter=Hawkeye; Warlock=Captain America. The first time the mission timer runs out one of these folks show up. Second timer brings in the "Cosmic level" folks. Berserker Queen=Hulk; Alpha Archon=Iron Man; Viper King=Captain Marvel? Third timer is a flat loss.

Minions share a level with their sponsoring supervillain. Deploying the actual villain gets you about 5X the experience, but the risk of permadeath of the entire group.

your suggesting they make a good version of evil genius

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Has there been literally any news about Xcom 3? Or is it all marvel stuff now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

clearly jake solomon has abandoned us in our time of need