Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Shugojin posted:

The music in the thing I quoted was from the 1997 adaptation and it was for that moment in the series.

Read the manga if you want to. It's one of the most gorgeous manga ever made because he was one of the most talented artists in the entire industry. It ran from 1989 until his death and he never stopped getting improving his art.

loving hell there's 40 volumes of Berserk manga

Guess I'd better get started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rhaka posted:

Have fun! :unsmigghh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eternal Recurrence emans that we're going full Xenosaga.

Honestly KOS-MOS could have been a Tournament of Power contestant.

Alternately, we're going full Dragon's Dogma. After she finally defeats Metatron, Allison wakes up and now she's Jagganoth right after becoming a Dead Man.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I finally got the first volume after meaning to read it for decades and wow yeah that pretty much starts at 11 huh.

I love it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah, people should be warned, Berserk is incredible but it's also intensely :nws: Like I don't want to put anyone off it but you're gonna see some deep suffering that not everyone will be OK with

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Rhaka posted:

Don't stress the length, it'll be good practice for when you get done and immediately reread the whole thing :v

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah, people should be warned, Berserk is incredible but it's also intensely :nws: Like I don't want to put anyone off it but you're gonna see some deep suffering that not everyone will be OK with
content warning: rape and sexual assault

It gets very uncomfortable to me at times

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

"I know with absolute certainty that I have fought this battle more times than there are drops in the ocean... and I have never lost"

Sure sounds to me like Jagganoth knows this has happened this way many, many times, and he continues to pursue the same approach. He has fought this battle countless times. He never loses. The world is reset. Eventually, perhaps, doing a violence this way will allow him to change the cosmos... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Jagganoth is as stagnant as the rest, he's just stagnant in a different way.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, strong content warning for Berserk. I really enjoyed it when I did a reread last year, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Precambrian posted:

But I find that interpretation less productive because it doesn't really work for the Eternal Recurrence. What makes it "eternal" is that, in encountering infinity like this, past, present, and future become arbitrary—the past is not finished and the future has already occurred, all present choices have already been made. It makes time absurd, in an existential sense, and I think that's useful for understanding Jagganoth and Allison. They both are in an absurd war against their past and future, where they're both trying to find something new and achieve something other than the infinite number of previous attempts, hoping that the other side is actually something different for once. With White Chain, an angel using she/her pronouns and changing from the white flame to the black, I think Operant is very much championing that there is newness and ways out of the stagnant, infertile infinity.

I don't think you're wrong about where Operant comes down, but I also think that Jagganoth is meant to be just as stagnant as the others, if more aware. Jagganoth's stagnation is that he wants to burn the world down to find a better one - he is committed to his belief that time and violence are absolute, and the only response is to reject it. I fully expect he's the one who forces the world to reset again and again - he's always won, and the world has always turned back. He's not doing that on purpose, but it fits his character as the one trying to use violence to break the inescapability of violence.

Allison, however, has approached things in a different way - and Zoss has encouraged her to do so. Incubus and Jagganoth are the two demiurges who embrace violence as a way of life wholeheartedly, Jagganoth in the hopes of overthrowing a universe that is inescapably violent, and Incubus because he recognizes that the universe is inescapably violent and so seeks to be the best at it. Zoss outright says that this kind of fixation on violence and power is why the world is trapped in its cycle, which is both metaphorical and literal, because mastering the wheel/world-as-it-is makes it impossible to break the wheel and overthrow these cycles. Zoss, from what we've seen, is no longer what Jagganoth thinks he is, and both Zoss and Jagganoth consider Metatron their enemy.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Precambrian posted:

. With White Chain, an angel using she/her pronouns and changing from the white flame to the black

You're wrong about this. Look at the color of their soul bodies here:

Allison and Cio are still the black of humans/devils, whereas White Chain is the light blue similar to the Servants, who are of the white flame.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bussamove posted:

I finally got the first volume after meaning to read it for decades and wow yeah that pretty much starts at 11 huh.

I love it.

Godspeed on your journey into one of the most influential and beautifully illustrated fantasy comics of the last 30 years. But as others said just note that it can be, uh, deeply distressing at points. The antagonists (and sometimes the protagonists) do NOT pull punches.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I was looking through those pages last night, and I thought it was important that when Zoss was describing his vain efforts to make a perfect world that ended up being a prison, Metatron's face is in the background as it shows Zoss standing on the wheel.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-10-141/

My prediction is that Metatron is the ultimate enemy and is pulling both Zoss's and Jagg's strings, taking advantage of their (probable?) incomplete knowledge of the loops. We don't know enough about Metatron to really try and guess at his motivations or end goal, so this theory is obviously shaky. I hope Jagg loses in spectacular fashion here and that will set the stage for the finale. But considering the opening page of the book where Jagg has two eyes and Allison has one, I think we can assume that this fight still has surprises left. I wish that opening page didn't exist, I would rather be totally in the dark about what's going to happen next.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

World Famous W posted:

content warning: rape and sexual assault

It gets very uncomfortable to me at times

Also torture, violence against children, graphic depictions of gore, pregnancy related body horror, uncomfortable "anime-18" nudity and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'm on volume 3

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

skaianDestiny posted:

You're wrong about this. Look at the color of their soul bodies here:

Allison and Cio are still the black of humans/devils, whereas White Chain is the light blue similar to the Servants, who are of the white flame.

Yeah, White Chain's soul didn't change, she just has a body that properly reflects that soul now.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, White Chain's soul didn't change, she just has a body that properly reflects that soul now.

Yeah she still seems to be a white flame angel, but now also human. I'm sure there is more angel drama to come so hopefully we'll get some answers as to what she's become and what that means for the angels.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well VG has called her something entirely new. Shes a bit of a unique existence now.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 7, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dracula Factory posted:

I was looking through those pages last night, and I thought it was important that when Zoss was describing his vain efforts to make a perfect world that ended up being a prison, Metatron's face is in the background as it shows Zoss standing on the wheel.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-10-141/

My prediction is that Metatron is the ultimate enemy and is pulling both Zoss's and Jagg's strings, taking advantage of their (probable?) incomplete knowledge of the loops. We don't know enough about Metatron to really try and guess at his motivations or end goal, so this theory is obviously shaky. I hope Jagg loses in spectacular fashion here and that will set the stage for the finale. But considering the opening page of the book where Jagg has two eyes and Allison has one, I think we can assume that this fight still has surprises left. I wish that opening page didn't exist, I would rather be totally in the dark about what's going to happen next.

My theory for a bit has been that Metatron's intended cycle predates Zoss and actually Zoss broke it through violence, but that merely led to a new cycle.

Or to put it another way, the larger cycle was the rise of a Zoss who receives the crown of Heaven, and then things either reboot then and there or we get the usual degeneration - ie maybe Metatron had the usual Heir cycle until he messed up and Zoss maimed him, whereupon Metatron cobbled together this crippled cycle.

I suspect that even before Zoss' 'victory', Metatron's ideal universe was a circle. Perfect. Infertile.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think Metatron's perfect universe before Zoss was an empty Throne and all the little side-worlds doing their own thing. Then Zoss bust in and Nietzsche'd his way through the ruin of God's corpse, and held Metatron down and maimed him, and now a broken Metatron seeks to bring about emptiness and stability as before.

Personally I think Zoss is the one who turns the world back, because every time Metatron wins, and Zoss refuses to allow Metatron's victory - whatever that looks like. And no heir has managed it yet.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Joe Slowboat posted:

held Metatron down and maimed him

According to Big Red, Zoss didn't beat Metatron - Metatron willingly gave him the Names of God.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1401960050047041537?s=09

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I love his icon. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

"I know with absolute certainty that I have fought this battle more times than there are drops in the ocean... and I have never lost"

Sure sounds to me like Jagganoth knows this has happened this way many, many times, and he continues to pursue the same approach. He has fought this battle countless times. He never loses. The world is reset. Eventually, perhaps, doing a violence this way will allow him to change the cosmos... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Jagganoth is as stagnant as the rest, he's just stagnant in a different way.

Given on the same page he talks about how people in his situation retain little memory of each loop, and are only aware of the most constant elements which are Zoss choosing a heir and eventually the heir takes throne. What he's certain of is that no matter what the cycle plays out like, it's Jagganoth that is the last one standing to clean it all up. So we don't know how many of these loops have involved a demiurge team up against Jagganoth, but by his own words even Jagg's can realize that this cycle is particularly unique on it's own compared to the countless cycles that played out before it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that humans in K6BD are basically devils but less so - they're born of a milder black flame. White Chain is just a living demonstration that ameliorating the white flame will also get you someone who looks a lot like a human. She's approaching the same midpoint from the opposite direction.

I suppose a being with white and black in perfect balance would be a lesser YISUN? Need to get 10VG (or possibly Juggernaut Star) in the Voltron.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lights posted:

According to Big Red, Zoss didn't beat Metatron - Metatron willingly gave him the Names of God.

'I am going to give this dumb idiot baby enough plutonium to overthrow an empire, and hopefully he eats it'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lights posted:

Big Red doesn't understand Zoss' personality at all though, from what we've seen of Zoss, and knows Metatron lied to him before.

I don't think Jagganoth really gets Zoss at all, and I don't think Metatron gave Zoss the names on purpose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You know just he's gonna leave us on some big cliffhanger just for the sake of doing so :colbert:.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

When Jagganoth said he had fought "this battle" countless times, I didn't interpret that to mean he's done this specific exact match up before where he fights all the demiurges (plus heir and allies) at once.

I interpreted "this battle" to refer to the larger overall struggle of stopping the heir each cycle.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rhaka posted:

See you in that thread soon I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know just he's gonna leave us on some big cliffhanger just for the sake of doing so :colbert:.

I mean at this point in this kind of fight, literally every page is a cliffhanger imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that humans in K6BD are basically devils but less so - they're born of a milder black flame. White Chain is just a living demonstration that ameliorating the white flame will also get you someone who looks a lot like a human. She's approaching the same midpoint from the opposite direction.

I suppose a being with white and black in perfect balance would be a lesser YISUN? Need to get 10VG (or possibly Juggernaut Star) in the Voltron.

There's already a milder white flame, though, that's servants.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 8, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TwoPair posted:

I mean at this point in this kind of fight, literally every page is a cliffhanger imo

You miss the point; If this is the norm for the moment, what hell might they do to deliberately leave us hanging? :ohdear:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bilirubin posted:

See you in that thread soon I guess.

I'm trying to put this delicately and failing, did the author recently die and it won't be finished?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm trying to put this delicately and failing, did the author recently die and it won't be finished?
Very recently. :smith:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well at least he kept on theme. :patriot:

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Lights posted:

joke's on you; he actually loved being body slammed by a conquering king. and his mouth wasn't filled with bloodm, it was victory wine

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Cryophage posted:

joke's on you; he actually loved being body slammed by a conquering king. and his mouth wasn't filled with bloodm, it was victory wine

so long suckers! i rev up my key of kings and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im floating completely dead in the void

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

who the gently caress is scraeming "BREAK THE WHEEL" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never break the wheel.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This Griffith guy seems pretty chill I don’t know what Guts’ problem is.

I know the broad strokes of what happens thanks to cultural osmosis oh god he’s not chill at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

issuing a correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Metatron 1. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

Edit: dril six billion demons