Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

busalover posted:

The only MMO where I didn't notice any chudd-iness going on, was FFXIV. I think it's just plain "too gay" in its visual style and presentation. Do you, as a chud, really wanna play with cat people dudes wearing eyeliner and makeup? Don't think so.

I even tried to make a hyper masculine character (bald-headed highlander hyur pugilist) and by the time you're out of the newbie zones, all the quest rewards were leather bondage. One of them had leopard print on it and I just about fell over laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Endorph posted:

people dont get banned from ff14 for using parses?

They ban toxic people.

They don't ban parses.

Some toxic people use parsers.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i've never seen a chud in FFXIV. i saw one guy calling people gay in gangos in /yell and he was immediately shouted down by people with "yes, we are, and we're fabulous" and it's true because we are.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I agree that Final Fantasy XIV has the least toxic community I've encountered, I feel that it isn't a fair comparison.

I would argue that the community is a direct result of many intentional choices by FF14 designers. The game is constantly teaching players that being nice is something that is recognized and rewarded. Commendations, bonuses for grouping with players who are doing content for the first time, the mentorship and dungeon roulette systems, FATEs being cooperative: all of these systems have explicit incentives to be helpful.

Compare FF14 to something like WoW's Mythic+ where you are actively punished if you ever accidentally play with new/bad players (losing a key level if you happen to group with someone who isn't good enough) and it's no surprise that FF14 has a good community. (And of course, run by a company who will pay for GMs to get rid of toxic people.)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mentors are the worst players ever and novice network chat is full of the dumbest idiots known to man though, and I’m not talking about the novices

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

A few months ago when I reactivated my ff14 account the newbie network was full of people erping.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's funny that FF11 has a much better thought out newbie help channel because you have to do something other than just "get some stuff to 80 and a little more, I guess"

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Zil posted:

A few months ago when I reactivated my ff14 account the newbie network was full of people erping.

that this is still better than Barrens says so drat much about WoW

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best WoW server for ERPing, and how/why did it become that way historically?

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

What's the best WoW server for ERPing, and how/why did it become that way historically?

I don't know about best but Moonguard is certainly the most infamous. I have no idea other than it being an rp-server.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moon Guard, and there's no real story there. It's the most active RP server, and it's alliance-biased and Alliance has the more conventionally attractive races. It just kind of happened to play out that way so it became an ERP hub and then it gained the joke status of being an ERP hub so more people went there to ERP.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

They ban toxic people.

They don't ban parses.

they ban for third party tools including parses if you make it really obvious you're using them and they happen to see the evidence. they just don't know or care if you don't like, confess in game by harassing someone for grey parsing or post screenshots of ACT somewhere a GM happens to be paying attention.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Third World Reagan posted:

They ban toxic people.

They don't ban parses.

I don't understand the context here - is it parsing in a grammatical sense?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

THE BAR posted:

I don't understand the context here - is it parsing in a grammatical sense?

parsing just refers to keeping track of the amount of damage/healing that each party member contributes to a fight. FFXIV doesn't have add-on support like wow does, so any tools like a dps meter are unauthorized third-party tools, prohibited by the EULA. in practice almost everyone uses one anyways.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Frida Call Me posted:

parsing just refers to keeping track of the amount of damage/healing that each party member contributes to a fight. FFXIV doesn't have add-on support like wow does, so any tools like a dps meter are unauthorized third-party tools, prohibited by the EULA. in practice almost everyone uses one anyways.

Thanks. I can understand not wanting to have people lord their bigger numbers over others, but sometimes it's nice to have a tool for self improvement.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE BAR posted:

Thanks. I can understand not wanting to have people lord their bigger numbers over others, but sometimes it's nice to have a tool for self improvement.

Yeah, and that's what most normal people do and there's no problem with that - a blind eye is turned and all. But some losers can't help themselves but feel superiority because they're doing more damage in Haukke Manor.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

cyrn posted:

I would argue that the community is a direct result of many intentional choices by FF14 designers. The game is constantly teaching players that being nice is something that is recognized and rewarded. Commendations, bonuses for grouping with players who are doing content for the first time, the mentorship and dungeon roulette systems, FATEs being cooperative: all of these systems have explicit incentives to be helpful.

Compare FF14 to something like WoW's Mythic+ where you are actively punished if you ever accidentally play with new/bad players (losing a key level if you happen to group with someone who isn't good enough) and it's no surprise that FF14 has a good community. (And of course, run by a company who will pay for GMs to get rid of toxic people.)

The funny part is from interviews you get the sense that Yoshi-P (the guy most responsible for FFXIV) would rather be playing Ultima Online or WoW given the choice: https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv/ffxiv-yoshi-p-interview-wow

But honestly I think the GMs are the biggest part, you can put all the soft incentives that you want into a game to encourage people to be nice, but if you can't boot the shitheads dropping slurs out, eventually they take over.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Chomposaur posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv/ffxiv-yoshi-p-interview-wow

I think the only MMORPGs that could be considered equal to Ultima Online [UO] would probably be Lineage and EVE Online, but in my personal opinion there hasn’t been a role-playing experience that’s surpassed that of the original UO. These works have a special place within the MMORPG genre and there’s still demand for them even now, but that demand is by no means great enough to support a large-scale MMORPG project, because they need [a lot of] role-play skill to play effectively. If we could prepare a profitable business model, I’d love to take on the challenge of developing such a game.

EverQuest is another masterpiece of the first generation of MMORPGs. It’s an incredible game that combined a subscription-based business model with a ‘time-to-win’ game design. But it was World of Warcraft that faced EverQuest head-on and provided a new way to play. It wasn’t based on time-to-win, but WoW incorporated an item level system while keeping player skill at its core. Players who invested lots of their time could co-exist with players who didn’t, encouraging a free style of play.

As for the evolving genre, I believe it’s easy for MMORPGs to accept and reflect changes in gamer lifestyles. If you look back about 20 years, were our lives as busy as they are today? There was the internet, but correspondence was limited to email. Real-time communication was limited to PC messenger clients. Nowadays you and I have smartphones in the palms of our hands. We have access to entertainment whenever we have a free moment. It goes without saying that there’s a dramatic drop in the amount of time players have available after eating, sleeping, working, and spending time with their family and friends.

The game design of UO and EverQuest are still shining jewels even today, and I’ve no doubt there is demand for these titles. It’s just that it’s now more difficult to make those games succeed as a major business undertaking. As a result, game design needs to change and innovate to ensure it matches more closely with MMORPG gamers. For FFXIV, we’d like to remain receptive to changes in the lifestyles of our players, and we’ll continue to adjust the design little by little accordingly.

That's a really interesting interview. He's echoing the same things I have read on here and other MMO forums now for 10 years.

I was too young to play UO, but I remember hearing stories about it from my SWG friends.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that’s an important thing about MMOs: we have more information about everything conceivable within the game and less time to dedicate to anything specifically, so you really can’t recreate a situation where the player base isn’t supposed to know something, and you also can’t recreate a situation where spending a lot of time playing a single game is cool and normal.

It becomes a system that rewards players for optimizing their game time and disengaging from the community and immersion by just looking up what to do and how to do it. But the reason MMOs were so good was because the community and immersion were necessary elements to “beating” the game, and you needed to work together. Overcoming a shared struggle together is hugely important for MMOs.

It seems the best you can realistically hope for is engaging gameplay and good art/story/setting, but that begs the question of why make an MMO when you could accomplish those objectives better with a single player game. Cosmetics is kind of a reason for multiplayer and is hotly capitalized upon. PvP kinda. But mostly, it’s just “get levels and loot, usually alone, until you burn out”.

“Good MMOs” is a concept too beautiful for this world, RIP

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyways how’s SOLO

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Chomposaur posted:

The funny part is from interviews you get the sense that Yoshi-P (the guy most responsible for FFXIV) would rather be playing Ultima Online or WoW given the choice: https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv/ffxiv-yoshi-p-interview-wow

But honestly I think the GMs are the biggest part, you can put all the soft incentives that you want into a game to encourage people to be nice, but if you can't boot the shitheads dropping slurs out, eventually they take over.

Good interview.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cardboard Fox posted:

That's a really interesting interview. He's echoing the same things I have read on here and other MMO forums now for 10 years.

I was too young to play UO, but I remember hearing stories about it from my SWG friends.

It's interesting that the term "time-to-win" comes up, I haven't heard that used before. It seems so obvious, of course you are more likely to win if you spend time on the game and get better at it. But they really don't mean that for MMOs, since there is a relatively low skill ceiling mechanically, rather the time-to-win is just grinding for higher number output for the same mechanical actions.

Personally I still think that the best "work to win" system for mmos would be guaranteed drop legendary items from high difficulty events, but the issue there becomes that the poopsockers burn through the content in 30 days and then the game gets review bombed.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cardboard Fox posted:

UO loving ruled. My fondest memories of MMOs are going to be from UO and DAoC.

It'd be impossible to capture that feeling again I think since everyone data-mines the hell out of everything now though.

e: Left this open too long I guess!

jokes posted:

Anyways how’s SOLO

It's great! It's a lot of fun.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

dreffen posted:

It'd be impossible to capture that feeling again I think since everyone data-mines the hell out of everything now though.

I think data mining will ruin any attempt to recreate something like original Everquest or UO. A lot of what made the game great was random exploring and finding out things from word of mouth. It took a long time to figure out quest lines and you found so many random items without a clue to their purpose. I remember my first days trying to start a barbarian and being lost trying to find my corpse in Everfrost Peaks or being lost in the woods trying to travel between cities in UO because I had to flee from a PK.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Nunes posted:

I think data mining will ruin any attempt to recreate something like original Everquest or UO. A lot of what made the game great was random exploring and finding out things from word of mouth. It took a long time to figure out quest lines and you found so many random items without a clue to their purpose. I remember my first days trying to start a barbarian and being lost trying to find my corpse in Everfrost Peaks or being lost in the woods trying to travel between cities in UO because I had to flee from a PK.

I think some teams have figured out small ways to recapture that feeling, but any larger initiatives will fall apart immediately.

Example that immediately comes to mind is Mythic raiding in WoW usually having a 'secret' phase on the final boss that no one has seen or datamined. I don't think there'd be any way to do that for an entire raid since your choice is basically 'launch it untested' at that point, but I like when games come up with small ways to try to recapture that sense of discovery and community.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think what many MMO fans want is a major MMO to pull a BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey. Essentially not be an exact recreation of games of times of old but recreating the general "feeling" those games have by following their general philosophy.

BOTW brought back the feeling and philosophy of exploration and discovery that gradually went missing from the series.

Super Mario Odyssey brought back the whole playground and experimentation aspects found in Super Mario 64.

MMO fans seem to want the sense of adventure and camaraderie from Ultima Online and EverQuest.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

MMO fans seem to want the sense of adventure and camaraderie from Ultima Online and EverQuest.

Really good post - I get really nostalgic for 2004-2007 era FFXI but objectively, the gameplay was gently caress awful, and playing too similarly to FFXI is a big part of what caused FFXIV 1.0 to be such a disaster. That said, the moments I really miss are banging my head on the CoP boss fights with my static, or not giving up until every last one of us that could equip it had Byakko's Haidate, holding claim on Ullikummi and kiting his rear end around for an hour until my friends showed up to actually kill him so we could get Byakko's spawn item while a bunch of hungry gamers watch jealously. If a game could capture that while actually having good combat and mechanics and not being an insane time sink it'd probably be an all-time great, but I guess that's easier said than done.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Let me tell you about age of wushu, datamining, and how everything was still a mystery due to poor translation and someone copy pasting something wrong in translation files.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of this came about from things like codependent classes that had to group to advance, long travel times, and corpse runs forcing people to actually help one another, which would be wholly unpalatable to the current market. Even Pantheon saw how the wind was blowing and has been steadily backpedaling from its early days of trying to be an EQ successor.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

jokes posted:

Anyways how’s SOLO

Game play seems fun, there's a ton of systems and whatever to mess around with, translation is pretty bad and they promise to fix it but it's really bad and launch is really soon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe they can release a good MMO that has constantly changing systems that makes data mining useless?

poo poo, people already know the most optimal thing to do in WoW before the content is even released.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Good Dumplings posted:

that this is still better than Barrens says so drat much about WoW

barrens chat owns and so does pking and griefing :grin:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sachant posted:

A lot of this came about from things like codependent classes that had to group to advance, long travel times, and corpse runs forcing people to actually help one another, which would be wholly unpalatable to the current market. Even Pantheon saw how the wind was blowing and has been steadily backpedaling from its early days of trying to be an EQ successor.

This is why I listed BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey. Games that didn't recreate the games of yore 1:1, but clearly reimagined them for a modern era.

For example, the original Legend of Zelda, as well as many Zelda-likes from that era, were very cryptic. It was difficult to know exactly what to do or where to go. BOTW literally marks where you have to go on the map. The issue is HOW you get there. You can't just take a bee-line because there are mountains, swamps, etc. in the way, but you do know where you need to go. And in terms of what to do, well it gives plenty of context clues to make things obvious. And while there is fast travel, you have to discover it first and even then it leads you to a general area rather than the exact place where you want to go. It's convenient enough that trekking from destination to destination is not a slog, but not too convenient to the point where it takes away the sense of a journey.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dreffen posted:

Another thing that made UO so special that I've read before, and agree with as a hardcore UO player for many years, is that since it was the only game in town you had an actual real-life mix of sheep and wolves. There was no way to segregate yourselves, so the emergent gameplay mechanics actually had a chance to grow and evolve on their own. You had a real living, breathing, DIVERSE ecosystem. People actually fishes on the banks of the brit bank and sold their fish to adventurers. Unsavory rapscallions would actually buy them and poison them and distribute them at actual plays people were producing in the brit theatre. People sparred in the Jhelom pits. The first time you went to moonglow and explored the teleporters was a trip. When t2a came out and you learned to recdu recsu was breathtaking.

People would group up to farm earth eles in shame. When I was a little kid I was in a guild and a woman named stessa and her husband miner would gather all us little noobies up at their house, give us nightsite potions, and gate us to i think shame or maybe deciet water ele room where we would have fun fighting them. if a red came in it was pandemonium and many little noobies would die. a few minutes later a gate would open and stessa would out and usher us back to the house, res us, give us a sword and some non gm ringmail and send us on our way like kids going off the school. in a modern MMO there is no way stessa would be on the same server as the legendary pkers of yore who hunted us to the ends of the earth.

Years later the IPY, the greatest freeshard of them all opened up and all the great guilds and great players of the game came together for one last ultimate frag fest, and, for a brief moment, it was the greatest gaming experience of all time.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Nunes posted:

Oh yeah 100%. Getting lost the first dozen times in Myrkwood Forest when during the dark-rear end night, or getting lost in Everfrost Peaks in the middle of a corpse run is magic that just isn't there anymore. Or at least won't be in the same ways it used to be.

I had to go hunting for it but Yoshi-P has talked a little bit about his love for UO in several places, but magical (and sometimes frustrating) moments like this are the ones that will always stick with you.

quote:

After Ultima Online started service in Japan, Yoshida started playing and became a guild master. Set on purchasing a guild house, he toiled for 2 weeks to gather 4,000 ingots – worth roughly 64,000 gold – to sell for the necessary money. Upon entering town, he was almost immediately scammed by a player who utilized a sleight of hand trick to trick him into selling all the ingots for a mere 6 gold.

Initially after the swindle, Yoshida was filled with both frustration at the incident and shame that he had worked so hard to prove himself as a guild leader only to be left with nothing to show the guild members but 6 gold pieces.

Taking his mixed emotions to the internet, Yoshida wrote on a Japanese Ultima Online message board about his experience both with anger at his loss, but also with amazement at the new and unfamiliar game world of Ultima Online where truly anything was possible. The following day, among the numerous replies, one comment caught his eye.

"The responder was the guild master of a major Japanese guild," recalled Yoshida, "and he wrote to me saying, 'It's only for a few months, but I'm currently using the money donated from retired players as a benefit to assist people who have been PK'd or scammed in UO. Perhaps we could meet some time.'"

Smythe posted:

Another thing that made UO so special that I've read before, and agree with as a hardcore UO player for many years, is that since it was the only game in town you had an actual real-life mix of sheep and wolves. There was no way to segregate yourselves, so the emergent gameplay mechanics actually had a chance to grow and evolve on their own. You had a real living, breathing, DIVERSE ecosystem. People actually fishes on the banks of the brit bank and sold their fish to adventurers. Unsavory rapscallions would actually buy them and poison them and distribute them at actual plays people were producing in the brit theatre. People sparred in the Jhelom pits. The first time you went to moonglow and explored the teleporters was a trip. When t2a came out and you learned to recdu recsu was breathtaking.

People would group up to farm earth eles in shame. When I was a little kid I was in a guild and a woman named stessa and her husband miner would gather all us little noobies up at their house, give us nightsite potions, and gate us to i think shame or maybe deciet water ele room where we would have fun fighting them. if a red came in it was pandemonium and many little noobies would die. a few minutes later a gate would open and stessa would out and usher us back to the house, res us, give us a sword and some non gm ringmail and send us on our way like kids going off the school. in a modern MMO there is no way stessa would be on the same server as the legendary pkers of yore who hunted us to the ends of the earth.

Years later the IPY, the greatest freeshard of them all opened up and all the great guilds and great players of the game came together for one last ultimate frag fest, and, for a brief moment, it was the greatest gaming experience of all time.

e: YES. Yeah, that is the exact stuff I think about. I really wish to relive those days in a lot of ways even though it just can't be done.

I met the person who would later end up being my step-dad in the same dungeon.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 8, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ultima Online sounds wild.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I get dwarf fortress/EVE vibes from it, having never played it. I hear about these rich stories from old games and I just have to imagine the gameplay/UI was just absolute dogshit.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Oh yeah the UO UI was completely rear end. I remember we all bought third-party UI addons, including a map, in order to make it more functional.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yep. UOAssist looks like it still costs $15 for a lifetime ownership. The map program looks free now with a patreon but I think it used to cost money.