Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Cases are reasonable right now, vaccines are increasing, and a small group of people gathering outside with reasonable distancing has always been reasonably safe. It was allowed last summer, people were doing it safely without vaccines at all, and the cases only started spiking in September when school started and things cooled down.

It's time, we should be allowed to gather outdoors again. Would it be better if they were further apart? Yes. But, overall, it's a pretty safe situation compared to literally any school and the vast majority of workplaces, and compared with restaurant/bar patios, it would also be trivial to contact-trace and isolate if necessary.

What is this line of thinking?

Politicians should be the last to integrate into society, they should be seen as making the same if not a greater sacrifice than they ask of us.

Not to mention the bullshit Kenney pulled during the pandemic, the Aloha gate poo poo and him coming back and saying hed throw people out of caucus if they were caught breaking the rules again.

Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean Kenney should be left off the hook.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

apatheticman posted:

Politicians should be the last to integrate into society, they should be seen as making the same if not a greater sacrifice than they ask of us.

Not to mention the bullshit Kenney pulled during the pandemic, the Aloha gate poo poo and him coming back and saying hed throw people out of caucus if they were caught breaking the rules again.

Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean Kenney should be left off the hook.

I'm not saying he should be let off the hook, I'm saying that the thrust of the criticism should be "he broke the rules he created," not the actual act itself, because what he did would've been completely reasonable had it not been against his own stupid loving rules.

Malls are open, schools are open, patios are open, but this is still forbidden? It's madness, he realizes it's madness because he's simply ignoring the rules, but he hasn't changed the rules for everyone else. That's fundamentally different from AlohaGate when, what those people were doing was technically allowed by law, but strongly discouraged and actually risky in comparison.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

apatheticman posted:

I think it's meant to point out that this is bad because Kenney's actions are selfish and hypocritical, rather than because they're dangerous (as the whole "are they 6 feet apart?" thing implies).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well maybe I read it wrong OK...

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/SeanDunn10/status/1400931388044365826?s=19

Kenney also tried to play off the fact that the whiskey was paid for by taxpayer dollars by saying it was just Jameson's.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think it's meant to point out that this is bad because Kenney's actions are selfish and hypocritical, rather than because they're dangerous (as the whole "are they 6 feet apart?" thing implies).

Exactly. And frankly, I don't even really give a poo poo that they're on a pissup with a 40 of Jameson. Oh, horror of horrors, our politicians drink alcohol! Let's be perfectly honest: no work was going on, they were a bunch of colleagues getting drunk after work on the balcony while paying cursory attention to safety if not abiding by all the rules they set for themselves.

The issue for me is the hypocrisy. We aren't allowed, by law, to do what they did, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not. I happen to think that it's not a big deal if a few people want to get together outside and share a few drinks, even if they occasionally dip inside to have a wee or get in or out of the venue (provided they're masked while indoors). Again, you will recall we did this legally all last summer and it was fine, both legally speaking and public health wise, compared to other things which have been allowed when the data reflects that it's clearly high risk.

EDIT: And, frankly, the presence of waiters and other staff is another issue for me. Have a Jame-o pissup with your buddies on the balcony all you like, but pour it your loving self, you entitled halfwits.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 5, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh also at least two UCP caucus members are revolting again:
https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/status/1400978455861202946?s=19

I mean, they're all revolting, but now in a different sense

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can the party kick the premier out of their party and/or out of office? I would love for that to result from Kenney's little patio party.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think there's nothing stopping them removing a premier from a legal perspective. Different parties have different rules on how leaders get removed, but it's not typical in Canada to drop a leader without them losing an election.

If by out of office, you mean losing their seat, then no, the party can't do that. They could kick a member from their party and make them an independent I think.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

enki42 posted:

They could kick a member from their party and make them an independent I think.

Yes they can but typically this is only done when the member isn't toeing the party line.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/6/no-apology-pope-canada-residential-school-deaths

quote:

Pope Francis has expressed his pain over the discovery in Canada of the remains of 215 Indigenous children forced to attend a church-run boarding school, but did not offer the apology sought by survivors of the system that a commission of inquiry said amounted to “cultural genocide”.

In his customary Sunday noon remarks to the public, Pope Francis said he was “following with pain the news that arrives from Canada about the upsetting discovery of the remains of 215 children”.

“I join with the Canadian bishops and the entire Catholic Church in Canada in expressing my closeness to the Canadian people traumatised by the shocking news,” he said.

Our thoughts and prayers are with whitey during this difficult time, while they struggle to accept their part in the genocide we helped them commit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

flakeloaf posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/6/no-apology-pope-canada-residential-school-deaths
Our thoughts and prayers are with whitey during this difficult time, while they struggle to accept their part in the genocide we helped them commit.

oh surprise! the "cool pope" is a useless administrator of the childfucker religion. i'm shocked.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

enki42 posted:

I think there's nothing stopping them removing a premier from a legal perspective. Different parties have different rules on how leaders get removed, but it's not typical in Canada to drop a leader without them losing an election.

If by out of office, you mean losing their seat, then no, the party can't do that. They could kick a member from their party and make them an independent I think.

Governing party leaders are for all intents and purposes, all powerful within their party and impossible to remove and to my knowledge, this has never happened in canadian history.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Patrick Brown probably came closest, yeah?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In more "Catholic Church is complicit and loving evil" news:

Canadian archbishop says comments made by Trudeau on Church’s role in residential schools 'unfair'

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/SeanCarleton/status/1400902954509496321

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Patrick Brown probably came closest, yeah?

He wasn't a governing leader.

I think the actual closest we've got is Jean Chretien, who jumped before he got pushed but was clearly going to get pushed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/two-members-of-alberta-premier-jason-kenney-s-cabinet-criticize-him-on-covid-19-actions-1.5458600

Well now, two caucus members getting tossed out for criticizing Kenney is one thing, but two Cabinet Ministers calling him out for his Sky Palace bullshit and his cancel culture statement is another. Just collapse already, UCP.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

and it even is a cartoon that was published in Canada...sigh.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/CaptCanuck6/status/1401678889882198019

Good things happen when the community comes together.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Tie it to the ted Rogers statue and huck it into the lake.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RBC posted:

Governing party leaders are for all intents and purposes, all powerful within their party and impossible to remove and to my knowledge, this has never happened in canadian history.

That's weird cos it happens pretty often in the UK

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Tie it to the ted Rogers statue and huck it into the lake.

No, we need lakes!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/CaptCanuck6/status/1401678889882198019

Good things happen when the community comes together.

According to the views of the intelligentsia on reddit who are adamantly opposed to our local action, the renaming of the SJAM back to its original name: The toppling of this statue of Ryerson is tantamount to erasing history and now no one will know who Ryerson is or what he did.

Seriously though, people want to maintain the SJAM name because of 'history' when it's had that name for less than a decade and people aren't going to forget who loving John A. MacDonald is.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I don't see any faces in that video. Case closed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Unless they're wearing completely unobscured badges there's just no way to identify them.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

RBC posted:

Not exactly true. In 2014 the MB NDP caucus attempted to remove Greg Selinger from his seat as premiere because they felt he was tanking the party's position of power (he had to raise PST in order to repair damages and upgrade infrastructure following disastrously unprecedented flooding of the Interlake region in 2011, previous to that all our floodway infrastructure was more focused around lake Winnipeg and the Red River as that's where the flooding typically happened).

Led by Theresa Oswald, they had what the media described as mutiny to vote Selinger out and install Oswald as new premiere. It failed, the whole thing was very public and damaging PR-wise and while the NDP's position was slightly shaky due to Selinger's taxation decisions (among other things I don't recall atm), this mutiny almost definitely put the final nail in the coffin for the MB NDPs almost 2 decade run as a majority government, ushering in everybody's favorite son of a bitch Pallister into power in 2016.

(EDIT: It has been nearly a decade since most of this went down so my memory is likely spotty on the details, so if I got any of this wrong I don't mind being corrected by more well-informed goons on the subject)

Willatron fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Willatron posted:

Not exactly true. In 2014 the MB NDP caucus attempted to remove Greg Selinger from his seat as premiere because they felt he was tanking the party's position of power (he had to raise PST in order to repair damages and upgrade infrastructure following disastrously unprecedented flooding of the Interlake region in 2011, previous to that all our floodway infrastructure was more focused around lake Winnipeg and the Red River as that's where the flooding typically happened).

Led by Theresa Oswald, they had what the media described as mutiny to vote Selinger out and install Oswald as new premiere. It failed, the whole thing was very public and damaging PR-wise and while the NDP's position was slightly shaky due to Selinger's taxation decisions (among other things I don't recall atm), this mutiny almost definitely put the final nail in the coffin for the MB NDPs almost 2 decade run as a majority government, ushering in everybody's favorite son of a bitch Pallister into power in 2016.

(EDIT: It has been nearly a decade since most of this went down so my memory is likely spotty on the details, so if I got any of this wrong I don't mind being corrected by more well-informed goons on the subject)

The PST increase is always thrown out as the reason for the NDPs decline in popularity in Manitoba but the party was already declining in popularity due to the PCs baseless attacks on major infrastructure projects like BiPole III and the Keeyask dam and the state of Hydros finances. The PST was kind of a final nail in the coffin type of thing that was generally unpopular because Selinger had promised not to raise the PST during the 2011 campaign only 2 months earlier. The other issue the NDP faced was rot within the party, they were a combination of career back benchers and career climbers that were only interested in popularity so they could stay employed. In general the NDP began to completely fall apart when the economy started slipping and they couldn't effectively get the message out why deficit spending is good and why we needed big infrastructure now.

As for the leadership election, the rumour has always been that Steve Ashton only ran to draw votes from Oswald and there was some sort of closed back door meeting with some union delegates to ensure Ashtons delegates moved to Selinger on the second ballot. This was pretty well reported and further eroded trust in Selinger.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

The PST increase is always thrown out as the reason for the NDPs decline in popularity in Manitoba but the party was already declining in popularity due to the PCs baseless attacks on major infrastructure projects like BiPole III and the Keeyask dam and the state of Hydros finances. The PST was kind of a final nail in the coffin type of thing that was generally unpopular because Selinger had promised not to raise the PST during the 2011 campaign only 2 months earlier. The other issue the NDP faced was rot within the party, they were a combination of career back benchers and career climbers that were only interested in popularity so they could stay employed. In general the NDP began to completely fall apart when the economy started slipping and they couldn't effectively get the message out why deficit spending is good and why we needed big infrastructure now.

As for the leadership election, the rumour has always been that Steve Ashton only ran to draw votes from Oswald and there was some sort of closed back door meeting with some union delegates to ensure Ashtons delegates moved to Selinger on the second ballot. This was pretty well reported and further eroded trust in Selinger.

Thanks for the primer! God, it's so lovely how that all played out. The current MB NDP doesn't seem at all like the same party Selinger was leading but they get to carry all the baggage his administration created anyway, plus Wab's history to boot. I don't particularly hold any of it against them but I know a lot of people do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto week four of my hell of listening to the Liberals filibuster at the Defence Committees. I'm not sure if Cheryl Gallant making wild conspiracy accusations about plots between Vance and Sajjan to rape women is more or less infuriating than the Libs tut tutting and wasting everyone's time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hopefully Pallisters ghoulish tactics during this pandemic stick with him and we can boot his loving rear end out. I have never seen such hatred of a premier in recent times. There is stuff like this being pasted around the town right now. Plus it feels like both sides of the voting base hate his guts for different reasons. The right hates him because he locks them down and closes their churches - the left hates him ... well for everything cause he's a loving piece of poo poo who only serves himself and his rich buddies.

2023 feels like it's forever away.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Hopefully Pallisters ghoulish tactics during this pandemic stick with him and we can boot his loving rear end out. I have never seen such hatred of a premier in recent times. There is stuff like this being pasted around the town right now. Plus it feels like both sides of the voting base hate his guts for different reasons. The right hates him because he locks them down and closes their churches - the left hates him ... well for everything cause he's a loving piece of poo poo who only serves himself and his rich buddies.

I'm sure Pallister is deeply concerned considering he never wanted to still be Premier at this point anyway and whoever follows him will still take care of him and retain the vote of the rural dumbfucks of Manitoba as well. He's just a fall guy for whoever takes over from him at this point and it couldn't be more transparent. The vitriol against him specifically is GREAT for the MB PCs and working entirely as intended.

Like for example the art you shared, personally I like it, but considering anybody who owns a home in Manitoba just got an education tax rebate from the PC government, they will look at that artwork then look at their cheque and conclude "well, he's looking out for people like me, I'm part of that exclusive club, look at this anarchist poo poo under the bridge where can I go to vote for Premier Goertzen please".

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 7, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Willatron posted:

Thanks for the primer! God, it's so lovely how that all played out. The current MB NDP doesn't seem at all like the same party Selinger was leading but they get to carry all the baggage his administration created anyway, plus Wab's history to boot. I don't particularly hold any of it against them but I know a lot of people do.

I'm still bearish on Wab, his history is a thing but you can only drag that up so many times before the public stops giving a poo poo in general. His heart seems to be in the right place in general lately especially during the pandemic, the NDPs core message should be universal care and compassion for all and the resistance to privatization the PCs are currently pushing so hard. The 2023 election is going to come down to whether or not the NDP can counter the PCs PR campaigns and keep how loving dire the pandemic was for Manitoba under the PCs.

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm sure Pallister is deeply concerned considering he never wanted to still be Premier at this point anyway and whoever follows him will still take care of him and retain the vote of the rural dumbfucks of Manitoba as well. He's just a fall guy for whoever takes over from him at this point and it couldn't be more transparent. The vitriol against him specifically is GREAT for the MB PCs and working entirely as intended.

Like for example the art you shared, personally I like it, but considering anybody who owns a home in Manitoba just got an education tax rebate from the PC government, they will look at that artwork then look at their cheque and conclude "well, he's looking out for people like me, I'm part of that exclusive club, look at this anarchist poo poo under the bridge where can I go to vote for Premier Goertzen please".

Counterpoint I feel the PCs currently strategy is the what Bannon and Trump did in the States which is to do so much stupid poo poo at once that the public in general can't keep up, it's full on accelerationism from this point out to try and irreversibly change and reshape the province to fit what the PCs want until 2023. It's just constant omnibus bills and press conferences, it's enough to make your head spin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If nurses go on strike this week it's gonna shine a spotlight on all the problems he has caused.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

If nurses go on strike this week it's gonna shine a spotlight on all the problems he has caused.

He's already trying to spin the huge uptick in labour disputes since the PCs took power as a positive, saying that the only reason there were fewer labour disputes under the NDP is "nobody was sticking up for the taxpayer."

So there you have it. It's good, actually, that several public labour unions are in disputes with the province or about to strike. It means Pallister is doing a good job.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's also being attacked by the doctors and they are standing by the nurses too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-manitoba-doctors-nurses-pallister-1.6055604

Winnipeg doctors pen letter to government in support of nurses as morale, staffing at all-time low

Shithead is getting it from all sides. gently caress him.

E: ER physicians too.

https://www.tribute.co/hsc-er-nurses--staff/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

They can clap and send Tims cards - they can loving strike a fair deal for their sacrifices.

A nurse friend of my wife (who is also a nurse) found out she was covid positive on Friday even after being double dosed back in March. There was a leak at a ER and it caught her. Thankfully mild symptons but gently caress.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in local news a dbag drove their vehicle into a sidewalk killing three adults and a juvenile person with a second child barely hanging on in the icu

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Fidelitious posted:

According to the views of the intelligentsia on reddit who are adamantly opposed to our local action, the renaming of the SJAM back to its original name: The toppling of this statue of Ryerson is tantamount to erasing history and now no one will know who Ryerson is or what he did.

Seriously though, people want to maintain the SJAM name because of 'history' when it's had that name for less than a decade and people aren't going to forget who loving John A. MacDonald is.

Statue Keepers are a VERY weird bunch of people that get VERY upset when you inform them that their rhetoric stands hand in hand with the white supremacist statue keepers downstairs in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ontario is moving to Step 1 this Friday. Here's an interesting tidbit:

As of yesterday, the only mention of religious services for Step 1 was "Outdoor religious services, rites and ceremonies with capacity limited to permit physical distancing of 2 metres"

Today, that is still there but they also added: "Indoor religious services, rites, or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services permitted at up to 15 per cent capacity of the particular room;"