Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I’ve only really played Fable II but in that one I got a dog, got married, took my wife somewhere and got her killed since I didn’t feel like divorcing her, proceeded to get a bunch of STDs because I refused to wear condoms, and I think there’s a weird and kinda dumb story in there too.

It’s kind of a dumb game but it’s silly and pretty whimsical even if there’s a bit of tonal whiplash at times (let’s go to prison and get tortured for ten years just to free this one guy!) and you can do some goofy things. That said, if playing it once didn’t click with you it probably won’t click on a second attempt.

I completely forgot about the "Murder wife to avoid divorce" thing in 2/3 (I don't think it was a thing in 1?)

I remember my ex was playing either 2 or 3 with me and she kept getting married and murdering her spouses to marry different ones. That was how I learned that was a thing in Fable lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The first chest u open in fable 2 contains a pop up advertisement for micro transactions

Trailblazing legacy. ahead of its time.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
My wife has just blitzed through Fable 2 and is now ploughing through 3. She made me buy a X-Box S instead of a PS5 just so she could play Fable.

Of the three of them 3 is probably the most enjoyable if you look at it as an incredibly basic version of the Sims with a light RPG attached. She spends hours buying and decorating houses, chatting up NPCs, dressing her character up and playing with the dog.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fable 2 was pretty good.

fable 3 is in the lucrative franchise-killing disastrous sequels hall of fame with mass effect 3. warning all that time spent playing the sims british fart joke edition will be wasted when it suddenly fast forwards like two years to the finale

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i absolutely trust the forza devs to do better with the franchise than peter molyneux ever did, though. and the game should be pretty too. it is funny how one of microsoft's few homegrown franchises with any real equity is basically a trilogy with one good game and two games famous for overhyping and under-delivering

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Miyazaki cited Fable 2 as one of his biggest inspirations for Bloodborne

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lammasu posted:

Then I got this sword a special sword that was powered by group sex
fable.txt

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing I remember most about Fable 2 is making extremely loud, long farts in the town square for popularity points.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

The thing I remember most about Fable 2 is making extremely loud, long farts in the town square for popularity points.

Fable loves it's fart emote.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Jesus Christ I should play a fable game, this sounds amazing

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm a huge fan of the Fable series and I can't wait for Fable 4 and experience my farts in true 5.1 Dolby Atmos.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a lot of games should steal that thing fable 2 did at the end where it showed your character through all their different outfit changes, that was neat

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Dickensian intro to Fable 2 was cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

sounds like this forum

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Are there any good Twitter accounts I should be following for re-stock updates besides Wario64? I'm finally ready to upgrade my Game Pass box.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

Are there any good Twitter accounts I should be following for re-stock updates besides Wario64? I'm finally ready to upgrade my Game Pass box.

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals?s=21

But they tend to post the same things but at different times.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Randomly found this PC GamePass game Backbone today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zovLb-oenmk

Im in the beginning but really enjoy it. There's no VO work, but the animation, backgrounds and writing are a lot of fun so far. Reminds me of being a kid playing Under a Killing Moon :3:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I know this is the Xbox thread but.....

I watched the new horizon sequel gameplay trailer. It looks cool, then the gameplay starts and it's....tomb raider but with dinosaurs?

What am I missing? It seemed like everyone heralded it as a great Sony exclusive but I have played tomb raiders and they come out on Xbox.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its not very much like TR its more like assassins creed/farcry but with fights against big monsters with weakpoints and various strategies to make them deeper than a bag of hp.

The gfx were the best on ps4 when they came out and people loved the story, or rather the backstory uncovered in the story.

I thought it played like a high 7 or 8.

Not in my top ten ps4 exclusives but my tastes are usually not shared by everyone.

Overall an amazing transformation of a studio known for bad halo clones tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Like if you are asking "whats so great about ___ hyped modern playstation 4 game, why is it a big deal?"

The answer is its either a super polished movie-like experience corridor walk 'n shoot or an ubisoft open world game but not so lovely and exploitative.

They arent reinventing the wheel. The only trick up their sleeve is how much they spend on each game and how much further each of those dollars goes for them than competitors when it comes to reaffirming the quality of the brand and blitzing the public with marketing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah so i was right for the most part then.

I am even less worried about missing anything on PS5 now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It'll be on pc in 4 years anyway

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Horizon had a surprisingly strong and well-delivered story, fun combat, and plenty of rewarding exploration. I dunno if it lives up to the praise it received, but it's a very good game and worth playing on PC if you get the chance.

Actually right now it's sounding like the Sony exclusive you don't want to miss out on is the new Ratchet and Clank.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chivalry 2 is pretty fun. Kinda like what I was hoping For Honour would be. Doesn't take itself too seriously but has depth. Not totally sure how lasting it will be though.

Also series s is now $70 off in Australia as no one is buying it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chivalry 2 beta was kinda fun but I can absolutely wait for gamepass/50% off min.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Horizon had a surprisingly strong and well-delivered story, fun combat, and plenty of rewarding exploration. I dunno if it lives up to the praise it received, but it's a very good game and worth playing on PC if you get the chance.

I think Horizon is a fantastic game but IMO it’s really hamstrung by the 30fps cap on the PS5. I like the PS5 but my Xbox runs circles around it when it comes to BC games.

It’s very worth playing on the PC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the backstory of Horizon doesn't motivate you the actual game is that serviceably good range. It all works well, has a flourish here or there, but if you don't want to play another open world game it doesn't offer enough mechanically to stand out. Has a couple of weird unforced error quirks the sequel will probably fix. I quit really early on because I could not begin to give a poo poo about the Ted Faro backstory plot and the main narrative is not what gets all the praise and the gameplay just wasn't juicing me up.

Just release Psychonauts 2 already

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Horizon is really good. I absolutely detest open world third person games, I think Ubisoft basically ran them into the ground but Horizon is better in every way. Good story and acting, great graphics and it’s really really fun. Shooting big robot dinosaurs with explosive arrows, that’s the good stuff.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I think Horizon is a fantastic game but IMO it’s really hamstrung by the 30fps cap on the PS5. I like the PS5 but my Xbox runs circles around it when it comes to BC games.

they’re beefing it on that front so bad. I have to imagine it’s partly the impact from covid, partly sony stinking it up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

they’re beefing it on that front so bad. I have to imagine it’s partly the impact from covid, partly sony stinking it up.

I honestly think its just how BC on both systems is achieved. Sony's doesn't require any special code to be downloaded since its reading the old discs and downclocking itself and the Xbox makes you run it virtually

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s definitely some code involved with the PS4 games that got 60fps like GoT and TLOU2, like it knows it’s running on a PS5.

Also… any idea if/when there’ll be more FPS boost games announced for the Series? I’m praying for Dishonored 2 and Kingdom Come

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There’s definitely some code involved with the PS4 games that got 60fps like GoT and TLOU2, like it knows it’s running on a PS5.

Also… any idea if/when there’ll be more FPS boost games announced for the Series? I’m praying for Dishonored 2 and Kingdom Come

Those got specific patches, iirc. Thats how Sony handles it; you want real upgrades you gotta do work specific to the game

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

there’s weird cases like putting The Last Guardian disc in the ps5, and not patching it, causing the game to run in 60fps. But updating it locks it at 30. pretty odd.

got paid from new job. hoping that e3 gives me some good reasons to grab an xbox sooner rather than later.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MarcusSA posted:

It’s very worth playing on the PC.

Dinosaur fights and your gadgets were pretty cool, but collecting resources for the bigger fights was pita.

I just love blowing poo poo up and not managing resources.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

there’s weird cases like putting The Last Guardian disc in the ps5, and not patching it, causing the game to run in 60fps. But updating it locks it at 30. pretty odd.

It just ran unlocked at launch, you could get higher than 30fps on a PS4 Pro with the disk, I have it here. You miss out on bug fixes though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

On the topic of PS I wanna buy Guilty Gear Strive and don't know wtf to do because Sony's PS4/PS5 thing still doesn't make sense to me. I'm leaning towards grabbing it on PC now instead and really wishing ArcSys hadn't stopped releasing these games on Xbox. They were pushing out the best versions of Guilty Gear back on the OG Xbox and even the 360 was getting exclusive Guilty Gear games (even if they were bad) so it sucks that the relationship seems to have been ruined, probably by Mattrick before he left. The Xrd games and Strive really should have been getting Xbox releases.

Maybe they'll announce some at their E3 show? Probably a quick splash screen with "Here's more FPS boost games!" for a few seconds and more info on the Xbox site? They're going to have a lot to get through in their conference considering how many studios they have and now there's Bethesda as well, so time will be tight and they're probably going to be leaving out some announcements, but I think they always save a little time for BC info so I'd expect that to be squeezed in somewhere?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

On the topic of PS I wanna buy Guilty Gear Strive and don't know wtf to do because Sony's PS4/PS5 thing still doesn't make sense to me.

If you have a PS5, get it on PS5. If you have a PS4, get it on PS4 and you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version if you get one.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If you have a PS5, get it on PS5. If you have a PS4, get it on PS4 and you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version if you get one.

Does it show up as two different games in the library with the PS5 version needing a download? Or does it remain as one game that just gets updated? And yeah, only have PS4 (base model) which the game apparently has performance problems on, and I don't see myself buying a PS5 for quite a while due to shortages, the hardware issues and Sony apparently rushing to develop a new version already to help manufacture more units, so it seems best to hold off and wait.

I think I'll see how it is on PC. Mine's a potato but Strive's apparently UE4 which runs really well on low-end hardware and the Xrd games run excellently on mine so I'll give it a whirl there, seems low risk since Steam has such a solid refund policy as well. Kinda looking for excuses to avoid my PS4 too since the thing's a freakin' jet engine.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Heads up Disney+ is back on the game pass perks page thing. Despite the “for new D+ subscribers only” tag it worked for me even though I claimed it as a perk last time it was a perk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Does it show up as two different games in the library with the PS5 version needing a download?

If there's a native PS5 version then I assume it would have to be two separate versions! I don't know though. I am also holding off on getting a PS5, one because they're impossible to buy here, two because the bigger games like Horizon 2 and God Of War 2022 are still allegedly coming to PS4 and I have a pro so I can wait a bit longer.