Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigher posted:

Schumann's problems were greater than just the device.

With finger strengthening devices it's weird because... well, just play the instrument. That's all the workout you'll need.

A friend of mine who's an incredible guitarist once showed me something bizarre. He was talking about hand stretching and playing exercises for flexibility, and put his hands down on the bar to reveal that his left hand had a markedly wider 'finger spread' than his right. From practicing and stretching for decades. Pretty cool, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My hand is the same way to an extent, I can match the stretch on my left hand with my right but it requires me to strain the right hand to the point of discomfort. I can also tap my four fingers in order on a desk on my left hand smoothly in either direction (pinky to pointer, or vice versa) but on my right hand I can only do one direction and not smoothly at all.

Also, I've noticed my typing has gotten worse ever since I picked up guitar because the hand dexterity is different for each had so it's really "off balance" if that makes any sense. My left hand feels relaxed and natural while my right feels more tension.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

All these things are solutions aimed at beginners in search of a problem. Fingertip protectors, finger stretchers, those chord boxes that go over the neck and fret for you - it's all just stuff to shortcut your way into not sucking without putting the time in.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

That looks like a good way to speed run a repetitive stress injury.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Why would you buy a finger exerciser when nature has already given you a prostate? Nature abhors a vacuum but it loves a good guitar solo, and evolution in its infinite wisdom it has already provided the means to hone your craft.

Mister Speaker posted:

A friend of mine who's an incredible guitarist once showed me something bizarre. He was talking about hand stretching and playing exercises for flexibility, and put his hands down on the bar to reveal that his left hand had a markedly wider 'finger spread' than his right. From practicing and stretching for decades. Pretty cool, honestly.

See, this guy knows what I'm talking about.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

muike posted:

I mean honestly I'm probably going down the modeling route completely soon anyway but I hate that things like the HM-2 get their price driven up so high by hype. I guarantee 90% of people trying to get their hands on them don't even want chainsaw tone

I mean I want it for shoegaze tone.

I like how Boss made a face group group for HM2 waza user suggestions, where all the contributions were 9 knob monstrosities and then just proceeded to ignore all of them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They should have made it with no knobs and no off switch

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also no input nor output jacks

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Snowy posted:

They should have made it with no knobs and no off switch

Boss MetalZone - All Gas No Brakes edition.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Also no input nor output jacks

That's a bit harsh. Nothing wrong with having just an input jack.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

massive spider posted:

I mean I want it for shoegaze tone.

I like how Boss made a face group group for HM2 waza user suggestions, where all the contributions were 9 knob monstrosities and then just proceeded to ignore all of them.

Lol

I feel like I would have suggested maybe an integrated noise gate and that's it

"This pedal is famous for its sound if you just slam all the knobs to max. I think it should have more knobs for tweaking" - loving psychopaths

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Shugojin posted:

Lol

I feel like I would have suggested maybe an integrated noise gate and that's it

"This pedal is famous for its sound if you just slam all the knobs to max. I think it should have more knobs for tweaking" - loving psychopaths

There was a massive war between the chainsaw purists and people who actually wanted it to be able to do useful things. Clean Blend was such a political hot topic the arguments got soft banned.

I don't think Boss were ever actually going to do anything with the feedback, or at least weren't prepared for exactly how enthusiastic people would get, but I bet it's got them a bunch of free advertising for not much effort.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

There was a massive war between the chainsaw purists and people who actually wanted it to be able to do useful things. Clean Blend was such a political hot topic the arguments got soft banned.

I don't think Boss were ever actually going to do anything with the feedback, or at least weren't prepared for exactly how enthusiastic people would get, but I bet it's got them a bunch of free advertising for not much effort.

Eh, just turn all the useful feedback into a new high end pedal with a million knobs and extras, but keep the HM-2W as it is. Even more money!

Also do the no knobs version as a chainsaw shaped mini pedal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

darkwasthenight posted:

people who actually wanted it to be able to do useful things.

rude

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume "useful things"in the context means "can cut down a tree"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After 35 (almost 36, yay) years of existing and about 30 of those spent playing music in some way, shape or form, I have to admit something: I do not care about "the telecaster sound".

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVfDwVPyVg

It does gently caress-all for me. I know it's probably all over some of my favorite records and what-have-you but as an artist, I get just... nothing out of it. I think this is why, despite loving the form, I ended up frankenstein'ing my own tele back in the early 00's to have a mean sound because... I don't know. gently caress, is there something wrong with me? Have I gone beyond a level of "stupid music poo poo"?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If it doesn't sound good it isn't good. :shrug:

But honestly you shouldn't take that tone for any kind of good Tele tone.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
We did it! This week marks 1 year of learning a song and making at least one music video each week.

https://twitter.com/DatePandemic/status/1396069684672409608?s=19

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Telecaster clean or slightly crunchy tone for country? Amazing. Whatever that was? Awful.

It's worth noting, probably, that the studio version of the Stairway solo was a Tele, but also recorded well with an ear toward tone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JesustheDarkLord posted:

We did it! This week marks 1 year of learning a song and making at least one music video each week.

https://twitter.com/DatePandemic/status/1396069684672409608?s=19
Nice!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

eh, I think that guitar would work in the right context. I don't think it deserves to be a stand-alone TOAN example with nearly 200k views.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Siivola posted:

If it doesn't sound good it isn't good. :shrug:

Get him!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's no such thing as good or bad tone. There's only tones that you like and tones you don't like. Don't play tones you don't like unless someone pays* you to.

*Payment includes your singer liking you and also getting laid.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Wark Say posted:

After 35 (almost 36, yay) years of existing and about 30 of those spent playing music in some way, shape or form, I have to admit something: I do not care about "the telecaster sound".

This is not the toanz you're looking for.

Try this'n
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fuckin Brad Paisley. Just... Brad Paisley, man.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
That's a really nice big rhythm sound but nothing you couldn't get out of any single coil guitar and a lot of humbucker guitars. Probably a little dark for most mixes but nice out of context.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Only one Tele tone that matters my friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJsFxs72P-k

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the coolest thing about henry kaiser is that he's playing exactly what he means to play and if you don't like it he doesn't give a poo poo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't enjoy Kaiser's music really, but I think the dude rules and definitely has a thumbs up from me!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The best part of that video is Kevin from The Office ripping it up on bass.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

muike posted:

the coolest thing about henry kaiser is that he's playing exactly what he means to play and if you don't like it he doesn't give a poo poo

Henry kaiser "means" to play what he plays in the same way a drunk "means" to create the exact shape and volume of the puke puddle they spew in the floorboard of the cab they're riding in.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 7, 2021

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Gramps posted:

This is not the toanz you're looking for.

Try this'n
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk

God drat can that fella ever play.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

gently caress Brad Parsley, gently caress Keith Urban, gently caress the lot of em, these Tele+Twin merchants playing the same fuckin twangy Nashville licks over their poo poo Bryan Adams cover songs, nukemagaragbhshrgs

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Henry kaiser "means" to play what he plays in the same way a drunk "means" to create the exact shape and volume of the puke puddle they spew in the floorboard of the cab they're riding in.

:rolleyes:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

pretty sure zoot horn rollo played a tele on TMR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6eHunEysA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chrpno posted:

Is this not a Shreds video?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No. He's also a billionaire.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Ultimate Guitar seems to generally be scraping the bottom of the barrel for news article ideas but today must be especially slow if this is what they're posting about.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Chrpno posted:

sounds like someone used a link to the past randomizer on his tuner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy