Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Emma isnt very cspam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is that the one that the author started because she wanted to draw a lot of period-accurate maid dresses?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

galagazombie posted:

The Anime went to poo poo because after the terrible Manga finale ended the franchises profit potential the producers told them they weren't going to fund more seasons so just throw together something on zero-budget to fulfill contractual obligations and milk whatever little money from fans there was left through pre-orders of the disc-set. Plus there's the fact that a huge amount of anime these days exist (and are funded) mainly as vehicles to push interest and sales of the still ongoing source material. And since the Promised Neverland source material had ended (regardless of if it had ended bad or good) the anime lost a lot of its reason for existing.

Can't wait for Demon Slayer Season 2 to be animated by A-1 pictures and come out looking like way of the househusband.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It's a shame cause the Demon Slayer manga is a fun read but the fight scenes are so much better animated it's not even funny and since it's a dumb shonen the fight scenes are pretty much the only thing to see

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't know how much story the Demon Slayer anime has left to adapt, but if the manga ending was at least okay (I have no idea since I don't read it) they can still give the anime a good budget to sell the complete series box sets and such. This goes double if there's not much left to adapt. If they still have like a billion chapters of manga left to adapt though, then yeah, expect 1-2 more seasons before it either peters out into either zero budget or "we're not finishing this go read the source material if you care so much" territory.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Demon Slayer does have a main character who is a completely uncomplicated, pure, kindhearted goody two shoes which is actually something kinda rare in shonen manga for whatever reason. Maybe that has something to do with it?

usually shonen protagonists are weird psychopaths who end up being liked cause they kill worse things.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Retromancer posted:

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

Mostly on hype from a really good production by a really good studio. The manga ended as bit of a wet fart but by then the anime was already done.

Jujutsu Kaisen is catching up to it though, the source material continues to be excellent and MAPPA is almost as good as Ufotable while capable of releasing far more content than them.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Demon Slayer does have a main character who is a completely uncomplicated, pure, kindhearted goody two shoes which is actually something kinda rare in shonen manga for whatever reason. Maybe that has something to do with it?

This is loving 90% of all shonen protags the gently caress you smoking

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Casey Finnigan posted:

usually shonen protagonists are weird psychopaths who end up being liked cause they kill worse things.

You have an odd idea of the typical shonen

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Tanjiro is the best boy and the supporting cast is fun. The anime was above average as adaptations go though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

you're mixing up shounen and seinen.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
downloading rurouni kenshin but got shigurui instead

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I was thinking of DBZ and One Piece are the two biggest and most defining shonen series and Luffy/goku are both weird freaks with extremely strange codes of ethics. Goku in particular happily and repeatedly lets genocidal tyrants do whatever the hell they want so they can give him a decent fight later down the road.

It's why Gon in Hunter x Hunter works as a deconstruction of the typical shonen protagonist. He's got all the same goals and drives as any other shonen protag and he ends up a creepy maniac who destroys himself

but yeah I guess Kenshin does indeed have Tanjiro beat in terms of being a dopey nice guy

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The blonde kid with the one lightning move he does in his sleep is cool

The top demon slayers squad are unsettling and lame

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
After One Piece, My Hero Academia, Haikyuu, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Shaman King, Dr. Stone, Food Wars, My Hero Academia Vigilantes, Naruto, Naruto 2, and Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoiyo Masarusan, it's so great to get a shonen series where the protagonist is a nice boy who wants to help people.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
better watch the demon slayer movie which adapts a part of the manga and it's pretty cool

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Gripweed posted:

After One Piece, My Hero Academia, Haikyuu, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Shaman King, Dr. Stone, Food Wars, My Hero Academia Vigilantes, Naruto, Naruto 2, and Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoiyo Masarusan, it's so great to get a shonen series where the protagonist is a nice boy who wants to help people.

if you think sexy commando hananakajima is an uncomplicated protagonist with moral clarity.... smh says more about you than anything else

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

what exactly makes Monkey D. "Beats the poo poo out of someone who acts like an rear end in a top hat and cares for his friends and people in need" Luffy a brooding edgelord

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HerraS posted:

what exactly makes Monkey D. "Beats the poo poo out of someone who acts like an rear end in a top hat and cares for his friends and people in need" Luffy a brooding edgelord

uh, well Oda said somewhere that he doesn’t kill his enemies because he wants them to live knowing he crushed their dreams but that’s about it.

oh also he doesn’t want to be a hero because it means he’d have to share his food. doesn’t get edgier than that.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Luffy is similar to Goku in that he goes around doing whatever he wants for selfish reasons with the end result tending to be that he helps people out significantly more than he hurts them and opposes larger threats so he ends up being well-liked by both fans and characters in the world.

However I don't actually give two shits about how many shonen heroes are on the light side vs the dark side. I just thought tanjiro was a good version of the goody two shoes character

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I was thinking of DBZ and One Piece are the two biggest and most defining shonen series and Luffy/goku are both weird freaks with extremely strange codes of ethics. Goku in particular happily and repeatedly lets genocidal tyrants do whatever the hell they want so they can give him a decent fight later down the road.

It's why Gon in Hunter x Hunter works as a deconstruction of the typical shonen protagonist. He's got all the same goals and drives as any other shonen protag and he ends up a creepy maniac who destroys himself

but yeah I guess Kenshin does indeed have Tanjiro beat in terms of being a dopey nice guy

The stereotypical sports/fighting/adventure shonen protagonist is a relentlessly idealistic, empathetic dweeb whose three favourite things are hard work, friendship, and (insert activity the series is based around here). Being dumb as a bag of rocks is optional but welcome. Goku and his direct imitators like Luffy and Gon intentionally twist that into something slightly weird and alien - they're a moderately popular offshoot on a long-established archetype, not the mainstream.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Darth Walrus posted:

The stereotypical sports/fighting/adventure shonen protagonist is a relentlessly idealistic, empathetic dweeb whose three favourite things are hard work, friendship, and (insert activity the series is based around here). Being dumb as a bag of rocks is optional but welcome. Goku and his direct imitators like Luffy and Gon intentionally twist that into something slightly weird and alien - they're a moderately popular offshoot on a long-established archetype, not the mainstream.

I do like it when the alien part comes out and it shows that their moral code really isn't a 1:1 "good heroic person" kind of deal. Like when Goku heals his enemies because the idea of fighting them at full strength momentarily outweighs to him the threat that now presents to the world and the people he loves.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

guache the cellist sure was good. any other good animes that can be enjoyed by myself and my child?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

guache the cellist sure was good. any other good animes that can be enjoyed by myself and my child?

Little Witch Academia is charming and kid-friendly.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Lostconfused posted:

you're mixing up shounen and seinen.

when are we gonna get an adaptation of The World is Mine is what i wanna know

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got the perfect pitch for you, Mr. Producer. What if Stephen Paddock fought a giant bear? Hey wait, where are you going!?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

downloading rurouni kenshin but got shigurui instead

cant go wrong with pages upon pages of ritualistic purging of all the poo poo in your bowels so that if they gently caress up during their sword dance they dont stink up the place when they get disemboweled.

Or a graphic description of how skinny one of the women has gotten that one of the major descriptors was that you could see her butthole because she no longer had butts.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shigurui is a loving work of art.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

speaking of hideki arai its great that mangadex being dead for 2 months problably killed the ongoing effort to scanlate Kiichi!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Souboutei... must be destroyed.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Souboutei... must be destroyed.

soon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The guy from bleach was not nice in fact I'd say he had an attitude problem

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
he was a good kid and an excellent student. he just had a lot of bullshit going on with all of his ghost dads

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Girlfriend Is A Ghost And I Will Fight Her Coworkers!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
yeah don’t know what you’re talking about, Shithead rear end in a top hat gets to be the protagonist’s rival turned ally and can’t think of too many series that they actually get to be the lead on

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Mangadex is up :stare:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

Mangadex is up :stare:

Sort of

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Stairmaster posted: