Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Chadzok posted:

I've got literal hours daily of chores to do and I keep running out of podcasts. Here is what I like, tell me if you think there's anything else I could be listening to. I've separated these into general categories, I've exhausted the entire catalogue of most of the ones I've mentioned.
  • Arrogant skeptical/materialist stuff like Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, QAnon Anonymous, the Dollop kinda fits in here too. I'm really into hearing about, raging about, laughing at, people doing irrational poo poo like conspiracies, psuedoscience, blockchain, etc.
  • PC Gaming - Three Moves Ahead is my favourite, the RPS Electronic Wireless Show is great just based on cast chemistry and to a lesser extent, the RPS Weekspot and the Crate & Crowbar guys also good.
  • Philosophy/random book/movie reviews from Very Bad Wizards - I don't really get on with semi-related pod 2 Psychologists 4 Beers and honestly probably hard to find something else like the Wizards, they get by on charisma alone.
  • Good history pods, I've done Fall of Civilizations & Hardcore History. I'll take more of this stuff but I think I'm kind of looking for more "group of friends talking poo poo" type pods.
Anyway I know this is a kinda random list but I'll give a good go to anything that someone thinks I might like.
On the history pods side of things, I can recommend Mike Duncan's stuff. History of Rome and Revolutions are both solid, and very much in line with both that you mentioned.
Lions led by Donkeys is a bit more friends chatting about military history
What a Hell of a Way to Die treads similar, but more recent ground in a similar format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ooh I didn’t know Tobolowsky Files had a new season. I went to hear him live at a reformed temple a few years ago and he was excellent, and got to meet him afterwards and he was super nice.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Regarding raging, I Don't Speak German is a good podcast that covers neo-Nazis and the far right in general. They also sometimes cover people who aren't Nazis/far right but are still chuds in various ways, such as Sam Harris, Bret/Eric Weinstein and Heather Heying, and most recently James Lindsay.

Also, speaking of raging/laughing at questionable people, Decoding the Gurus is pretty solid.

Is the Skeptics' Guide still worth a listen? I listened to literally every episode for the first ten years and then just kinda got bored with it when Rebecca left. I do think Steven Novella is one of the smartest people alive though.

Thanks, I've got these ones lined up too.

Skeptics is just always an easy weekly listen for me. It's the only way to keep in touch with the incredibly slow place of real science. Cara is a key part of the show now, often the only one to have any meaningful contribution aside from Steven's massive brain. And yes, Steve is my instant pick for who gets the world dictator job.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Lately been listening to the You must remember this podcast. A look at the stars in Hollywood's golden era. I can recommend the multi-parter on the Manson family, as well as Dead Blondes, featuring the lives and deaths of some of the most famous female icons. Really sad what happened to these women. Actually that series caused me to take a break, and I've only come back to it now.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Chadzok posted:

Thanks, I've got these ones lined up too.

Skeptics is just always an easy weekly listen for me. It's the only way to keep in touch with the incredibly slow place of real science. Cara is a key part of the show now, often the only one to have any meaningful contribution aside from Steven's massive brain. And yes, Steve is my instant pick for who gets the world dictator job.

It used to be a meme to "Go with Bob" during the science or fiction segments. Now it's Go with Cara (or Evan even). She's depressingly intelligent.

I'm a little bit miffed about her going into such soft science as she's into, but she sounds super passionate and the world is better for having her helping out no matter the field. People make the science happen, and trying to fix people's brains isn't a bad idea.

Without a doubt, Steve would be the first choice for galactic emperor.

2nd choice would obviously be the overwhelming robot army of munitions wholesaler/HVAC/elevator company Raytheon and it's unstoppable rate of fire.... "Fab! FAB!" shouted Menta. "It's not going like it did last time, they're repositioning for sight lines down the back alley!"

[long exhale]

"We won't be able to hold them long enough for you to take Simon to the shaman. Go. Go with the wind. Deliver our son, and may his soul be spared."

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i want more poo poo like ALAB funny insider discussion of professions is p good

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm looking for more podcasts which are hosted by, or interview, people who are experts in their field, taking about their field.

For example:

• Lingthusiam
  • The Life Scientific
  • Sawbones
  • The Infinite Monkey Cage

Very specifically, I don't want to hear reporting from people who don't actually work in the field they're reporting on. I have tried, and disliked:

• Gastropod
  • No Such Thing As A Fish
  • The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry
  • Hardcore History

Lingthusiasm is basically exactly the kind of thing I'm after: two absolute experts in their field, passionately nerding out about it.

Subject matter doesn't really matter. As long as the people talking work in that subject, I'm keen.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You might enjoy Hardcore History: Addendum, though, which is Dan's separate feed where he interviews actual historians and authors once every couple of... years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm looking for more podcasts which are hosted by, or interview, people who are experts in their field, taking about their field.

Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have you ever listened to Ologies? Every episode is Alie Ward interviewing a scientist who is enthusiastic about whatever weird thing they study.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

YggiDee posted:

Have you ever listened to Ologies? Every episode is Alie Ward interviewing a scientist who is enthusiastic about whatever weird thing they study.

Seconding ologies. Alie provides a platform for scientists to geek out about their subject matter.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.

nice, this looks good

my pick is Brain Inspired, a former neuroscientist interviews neuroscientists and machine learning people

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thanks! I'll give those a look. (And please keep em coming, the more enthusiastic niche field podcasts the better)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Subject matter doesn't really matter. As long as the people talking work in that subject, I'm keen.

I mentioned it earlier but you would love The Common Descent Podcast their both evolutionary biologists and they go through all sorts of topics related to that subject. I tend to stick to the contemporary creatures, but they'll do fossil creatures, geologic eras, biomes, extinction events, famous biologists, you name it. Their knowledgable and can get into the weeds, but tend to keep it accessible to laymen.

Similarly the Tetrapod Zoology Podcast is like that with paleo-biologist and a paleo-artist talking tetrapods, though I find they focus more on fossil animals, which I find interesting, but as I don't recognize them, I don't ever know what they're talking about. I also feel they faff about just a bit much. Can be very in-depth though. I don't know if it's still updating as I dropped it.

I used to listen to Lingthusiasm, but I found McCollough to be too much for me. Too much energy, too much nerding out, I couldn't handle it. I still like Lexicon Valley though despite or because of McWhorter's idiosyncrasies.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I like Omega Tau (though not that interested in aerospace so skip a few episodes) and I love ALAB (despite having minimal interest in the law)... Ologies is very "radlib cutesy" for my taste but I wouldn't take issue with someone who loved it, it just makes my skin crawl.

If you are interested in biotech and biotech startups, or if you aren't but are curious about them, "first rounders" is a very good podcast.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

heres another good one: Big Biology

two biologists interview other biologists

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, it turns out I can't stand Ologies. Too much editing, too much paraphrasing and dumb questions and making it all about Alie Ward and her quest to talk to different scientists. I neither know nor care who she is. Just ask experts good questions and let them talk, please!

mistermojo posted:

heres another good one: Big Biology

two biologists interview other biologists

This sounds promising, though.

Edit: yeah it's exactly what I want! An expert, rabbitting on about their field of research.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 29, 2021

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Back in the day I was into Giant Bombcast, GFW Radio, and Idle Thumbs. What video game podcasts are good these days?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Back in the day I was into Giant Bombcast, GFW Radio, and Idle Thumbs. What video game podcasts are good these days?

Three moves ahead :)

Also, if you liked Video Games Hotdog, the guy that made frog fractions who used to be on that podcast started a new one called topic lords which seems good.

And lastly, there is the Level from the Duckfeed guys. I think 2 of them are goons.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really love Crate & Crowbar, and Retronauts.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've been enjoying the dark money files . It's by a couple veteran banking consultants for a general audience talking a lot about shady banks doing business with dodgy clients, moving highly suspicious money around. Money laundering, risk management, know your client type stuff.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

On Our Watch is a new NPR podcast produced in partnership with like 40 newspapers investigating how cops are poo poo and completely unaccountable by getting access to disciplinary investigation records.

First episode involves mauling an old woman with a police dog, arresting her for not respecting their authority, falsifying police reports, lying to the DA, falsely bringing felony charges against her, not bothering to tell anyone when the charges are dropped for lack of evidence, lying to reporters, etc.

Really brings home the absolute impunity that cops have, almost more so for the banality ordinariness of these incidents compared to the murders they committ in broad daylight. It's really great journalism but kind of upsetting to listen to at times.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Sir John Feelgood posted:

retronauts, 8-4 play, fire escape cast, waypoint radio, watch out for fireballs and how did this get played

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for journalism covering international politics? Specifically in-depth reporting and analysis, not daily news.

Basically all I’ve got now is the The Intelligence (from the Economist magazine).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Radio War Nerd but it's not just politics and you're going to have to pay for (most of) it

most of the other ones I know of are essentially foreign policy shops, but interested if others have suggestions.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Trueanon

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Radio War Nerd but it's not just politics and you're going to have to pay for (most of) it

most of the other ones I know of are essentially foreign policy shops, but interested if others have suggestions.

Oh dang, its two of the guys from the exile, and not the creepy one. Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Also what are the others you were thinking of? I get everybody has an angle, The Intelligence is at least easy to figure out (neo-liberalism above all else).

E:
Isn't this more of a US thing? Thanks though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 4, 2021

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The other supposedly-good ones I know of that have a lot of RWN listener overlap are Moderate Rebels (mostly US-relevant counterbalance to the built consensus), Parallax Views (haven't listened but he's had some good guests), Silk and Steel (Carl Zha on mostly Asia/China). Trueanon also has a lot of overlap but I listened to one and it was too "expansive" thinking for my taste, or at least that ep was, and yeah not sure how much of it is international.

I haven't listened to the FP shop ones at all so couldn't tell you which are decent or mediocre or awful, it's just the way that kind of thing works, there isn't a ton of authentic bottom-up demand for clear-eyed international stuff and like that's where the money and the top-down supply is.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 4, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Moderate Rebels is good poo poo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Moderate Rebels" is loving awful. I'd rather stick my head in a blender than listen to a couple hacks fellate any major power imperialism that isn't Western imperialism.

A staunchly left-wing critique: https://youtu.be/5NUJuGSsfNA

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 6, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BoosterDuck posted:

retronauts, 8-4 play, fire escape cast, waypoint radio, watch out for fireballs and how did this get played

Seconding recommendation of Watch Out for Fireballs, has top tier host chemistry and an excellent back catalog.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Good podcasts about urban planning, housing policy, and public transit?

I'm reading Crabgrass Frontier and want something more contemporary to go along with it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

99% Invisible is pretty hit or miss but they have a ton of episodes about urban architecture in the backlog that are worth a listen. I like the one where they spend 20 minutes talking about street curbs.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Karenina posted:

Good podcasts about urban planning, housing policy, and public transit?
Haven't listened to the full back catalog of these and not sure I agree with everything put forward, but here's a few on my list:

The War On Cars
Streets Ahead (UK-focused)
Infill from California's YIMBY Action org
Densely Speaking
Seattle Transit Blog
City of the Future from Sidewalk Labs (on hiatus?)
Gimme Shelter: The California Housing Crisis Podcast (on hiatus?)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Axe of the Blood God is a nice chill Retronauts-adjacent RPG-focuses videogame podcast, too, run by decent non-chud people.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Axe of the Blood God is a nice chill Retronauts-adjacent RPG-focuses videogame podcast, too, run by decent non-chud people.

Yes, have to agree. I really like Axe of the Blood God the two hosts are really great together too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I was eleven and a friendless loser the internet was very important to me because it was the first time I knew that there were, like, other girls out there who also liked video games and I knew this because I found a LiveJournal by a Canadian woman who posted a lot about Mega Man. This was two decades ago, I haven't thought about her since high school, so I had a very weird experience the first time I listened to Axe of the Blood God and thought "why is one of these names familiar to me?" and it's her.
I hope this isn't coming across as too weird or whatever but like discovering fandom and stuff was very influential to me growing up and it was really neat to open a podcast and get punched in the childhood.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ancient history podcast recs?

I've been listening to:
* Tides of History - sometimes very good. I really liked the interview he did with the Egypt expert a while ago. I find it a bit overproduced and contrived at times, though. The dramatic music when each episode reaches its thematic denouement is really distracting.
* History of Egypt Podcast. I've started this from the very start and I've reached the episodes that he hasn't had time to re-record and it is a bit painful. His content is good, but his delivery in these early episodes isn't very engaging and the recording quality is pretty poor. I'll probably persevere with it since it's clearly a real labour of love.
* In Our Time - I listen to most of these and appreciate that they get actual experts on. The episode about the Rosetta Stone is what started my latest Egypt obsession.

I'm aware I criticised Tides for being overproduced and History of Egypt for being underproduced...somewhere in between would be ideal.

Things I plan to listen to:
* Thin End of the Wedge

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's no longer a going concern but I assume you listened to the back episodes of Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fall of Civilizations is amazing, though only drops a couple episodes a year, if that matter to you. They're all self contained though, so no worries about just subscribing and plowing through the back catalog, then waiting until something unexpected shows up in a few months.