Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Looks like we're opening up indoor dining with some limitations this week, so let's see how well 67% with one shot works. Last time we did that was before vaccinations for the general public, and numbers skyrocketed, it was a vertical line on the graph lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Looks like we're opening up indoor dining with some limitations this week, so let's see how well 67% with one shot works. Last time we did that was before vaccinations for the general public, and numbers skyrocketed, it was a vertical line on the graph lol

We did it over a year ago and Kemp just shut down fuckloads of testing sites so our numbers haven't been accurate in who knows how long. The counties around me aren't even 30% vaccinated.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Nettle Soup posted:

In the UK here, been trying to get my GP to sign up my boyfriend for almost a month. "Oh we didn't get your form" (they did, it just took them 2 weeks to reply to the email and then they don't know how emails work) "oh you didn't fill in your previous uk address and gp" (he's moved here from germany and doesn't have either) "oh you need an nhs number to sign up!" (the way to get an nhs number is... to sign up with a gp!)" "I'll have to ask the manager" (the manager only visits the practice on tuesday mornings, good luck!)

It's incredibly frustrating and upsetting. I just want him to be safe. :( Gonna try again with the manager tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, phone the cqc and lodge a formal complaint.

The NHS number loop can be broken by calling/mailing NHS directly with a reference to the GP.

My recently immigrated friend was going to start a job in a big construction project and he wanted to get his shot before wading into a construction site so he mailed the NHS and literally the next day his number arrived while the GP told him it would take 1 month to process.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's infuriating. We may have a right-wing corporate crony neolib for a premier who made a lot of horrible decisions and was happy to sacrifice a certain amount of old people for the economy, but at least he was mostly honest about it.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Idiot Kicker posted:

I got Pfizer #2 on Saturday and struggled through Sunday with a mild fever, some aches, and sluggishness. This morning, I was good enough to go to work. I was still a bit tingly and chilly but after about 10:00 I was good.
Then when I was leaving the office, I slipped and fell and hurt my thigh. Welp.

Second Pfizer was weird for me. I felt fine that whole day, barely any arm pain and no other symptoms. I even thought about a nice run maybe the next day.

Holy poo poo the next day was bad. The whole morning until about 2pm I was in such pain (generalized body aches) I couldn’t even hold a book / phone / Switch to enjoy while laying down. It was bad.

Then I got better immediately but weirdly worse again about four days later.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, we might have a lead on that mystery outbreak of the Delta variant here in Melbourne Australia, with a returned traveler from Sri Lanka who arrived in Melbourne a whole month ago being finally traced as the original source via genomic sequencing. None of the other people in his flight or in hotel quarantine at the same time tested positive and that one guy was released from quarantine after he was cleared with a negative test so we're still looking for a link between him and these recent cases.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/victoria-records-new-covid-cases-as-delta-mystery-remains/100197284

Also one of the mass vaccination hubs became a covid exposure site yesterday when someone who'd just taken a brainpoke test then went to their vax appointment. Luckily the standard screening questions they ask everyone who attends those sites includes asking them if they've recently taken a covid test so when they said yes they were told "WTF dude get the hell out of here, go home and isolate until you get the result back you idiot". Oops, turns out they were positive!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/victoria-exposure-sites-june-8/100197206
That individual was only there for a super short time and obviously would have been masked up so the vax hub is only a Tier 3 exposure site, so people who were there at the time only have to get tested if they show symptoms and don't have to go into 14 day isolation.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Indoor dining has been running in my state for ages now, and all remaining restrictions were dropped recently, all with like 44% of the population having at least one dose. All the bad numbers are still going down, for now anyway. I doubt it's just the vaccinations but they do seem to do an awful lot even with such lovely uptake.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
God cases are rocketing up in the UK holy smokes. Looked like they had it under control there for a split second. Endless.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Kind of do.

Over 25s being vaccinated, 90% of people over 50 and the vulnerable have now had two shots and hospital admissions and deaths are still going down.

No no there is no delay in the numbers in the U.K. so death rates won’t “catch up” or any of that scaremongering poo poo.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Hospital admissions are around 100 per day in England, vs 75 in mid May, so thay have been increasing, but by nowhere near to the percentage that cases have been rising, even with a two week delay accounted for. Deaths have been very flat for around a month and are yet to move, but have stopped reducing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s also not over the whole of the country so in four areas cases have gone up, while the rest of the country is still suppressed.

If you lived in Oldham and were unvaccinated you’d be wary for absolute sure and rightly so, but sat here in Derbyshire fully vaccinated I don’t give a poo poo about catching covid, because I just won’t and I’m not going to be made to feel like an arsehole because the science is demonstrably working by the kind of people who witter on about how we should accommodate their fear, when they don’t give a poo poo that understanding others works both ways.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Galewolf posted:

The NHS number loop can be broken by calling/mailing NHS directly with a reference to the GP.

My recently immigrated friend was going to start a job in a big construction project and he wanted to get his shot before wading into a construction site so he mailed the NHS and literally the next day his number arrived while the GP told him it would take 1 month to process.

Thankyou! I phoned the GP today and got angry at them until they finally registered him. (Surprise surprise, the manager wasn't in and "we don't know when she will be")

Any idea who specfically I have to contact? "The NHS" is a big catagory. I've been through the NW regional team and 119 and all sorts of other random numbers over the past few day. Woman at the GPs office was very dismissive and like "we'll fine we'll register him but the nhs number is going to take months and months so don't expect a jab any time soon!"

We're just outside Manchester, so close to the problem areas, otherwise I wouldn't be so worried about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Covid Variant Ligma?

What's Ligma? :imunfunny:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ligma balls

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here nettle soup

https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint/complaining-to-nhse/

So, he should have been registered as a temporary patent, which does not require a NHS number, then the practice would have had 3 months to get his NHS number and then switch him to the register. Tell nhs England what happened and that the receptionist refused to put him on the temporary register or get you a callback from the manager straight away and that you don’t think she will forward things correctly to get him the number.

He will get his number, she will be turbofucked.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Signed up for my vaccine today. Kinda sucks they only offered me two possible days, both of them this weekend. I have plans both days so I hope I don't get too bowled over.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Thankyou! I phoned the GP today and got angry at them until they finally registered him. (Surprise surprise, the manager wasn't in and "we don't know when she will be")

Any idea who specfically I have to contact? "The NHS" is a big catagory. I've been through the NW regional team and 119 and all sorts of other random numbers over the past few day. Woman at the GPs office was very dismissive and like "we'll fine we'll register him but the nhs number is going to take months and months so don't expect a jab any time soon!"

We're just outside Manchester, so close to the problem areas, otherwise I wouldn't be so worried about it.

Oh sorry about being vague, I asked my friend and he told me he got in touch through this site when the GP told the "months and months" thing for his wife, he says things were magically resolved in one day:

https://www.healthwatch.co.uk/your-local-healthwatch/list

For his own NHS number he says "I just kept calling and told them I was starting a job and they finally gave up and processed my application".

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thanks!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I know "keep calling overworked NHS staff until they hate you enough to process things/snitch them to superior authorities" is not the most socially pleasant advice but by god GP offices love to 360noscope "lmao it'll arrive in 3 months" from what my friends experienced.

Then again, if it takes one e-mail to things move forward, why not do that soon and save everyone a headache?

Hope you'll get things going one way or another fellow plague island dweller :shobon:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 8, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, maybe you and your bf should've clapped harder last year :colbert:

Well, that didn't came out right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mozi posted:

ligma balls

what's wrong with your balls?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's wrong with your balls?

Coronavirus bonds to ACE2 receptors and the testicles contain one of the highest ACE2 concentrations in the body so it can really gently caress up yer nuts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7377719/

E: it might make you deaf as well, or turn a random body part necrotic. It's never boring, always something new and different!
https://twitter.com/business/status/1402084228771237895

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 8, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Vaccine passports (via NHS app) or a neg test to get into Wembley for the football

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57404223

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Athletes competing at the Tokyo Olympics will be tested regularly so the games organisers aren't making them quarantine on arrival, and getting vaccinated beforehand isn't even compulsory

quote:

An additional 11,500 athletes competing in Tokyo this summer will not be required to quarantine on arrival but will be tested daily for Covid-19 and confined to their accommodation and sports venues, with transport laid on to ferry them between the two.

On Wednesday, Thomas Bach, the IOC president, said he expected more than 80% of people staying in the athletes’ village to have been vaccinated by the time the Games open on 23 July.
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/20/organisers-of-tokyo-olympics-press-ahead-despite-covid-fears

I'm sure it'll be fine :coronatoot:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
May the odds be forever in your favor.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Athletes competing at the Tokyo Olympics will be tested regularly so the games organisers aren't making them quarantine on arrival, and getting vaccinated beforehand isn't even compulsory

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/20/organisers-of-tokyo-olympics-press-ahead-despite-covid-fears

I'm sure it'll be fine :coronatoot:

Given the fact that Olympic villages being one big orgy, I see no problem with that at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
japan has been making animes and video games about easily avoidable plagues that destroy the world and summon all kinds of demons being caused by lackadaisical governance and policymaking in tokyo for almost fifty years. you would think they'd take their own advice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Things are uh, not going in the right direction in the UK

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1402351586786037763?s=21

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
2x what? 0?

If anything that shows we’ve broken the link

loving 2% of hospital admissions are fully vaccinated people, 1/3 are people who have had 1 shot.

How about these loving STATS with actual numbers on them god drat I am so sick of this bullshit.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

2x what? 0?

loving 2% of hospital admissions are fully vaccinated people, 1/3 are people who have had 1 shot.

How about these loving STATS with actual numbers on them god drat I am so sick of this bullshit.

I always assumed your username/posting style was a gimmick, not a warning about your capabilities.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We know cases are rising, no poo poo they are. HOSPITAL ADMISSIONS ARE NOT which is why you aren’t posting those stats.

Go gently caress your disingenuous gaslighting doom posting self.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The Angry Man of GBS

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
These people convinced other goons not to get the AstraZeneca jab when it was offered to them because they, an unqualified person had a bad feeling about it, based on what stats they had googled. I have absolutely nothing but contempt for them.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

We know cases are rising, no poo poo they are. HOSPITAL ADMISSIONS ARE NOT which is why you aren’t posting those stats.

Have you heard of something called a "lead indicator"?

That would be the cases, if you are talking about hospitalisations.

It is not surprising that deaths have remained flat as yhey are a lag indicator, because as the term suggests, they lag behind at the average of the infection/hospitalisation/death duration.

You should really read something about the state of the pandemic in the UK, you seem ill informed.

The weekly numbers are here

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

These people convinced other goons not to get the AstraZeneca jab when it was offered to them because they, an unqualified person had a bad feeling about it, based on what stats they had googled. I have absolutely nothing but contempt for them.

What? Who are these people? I got AZ in April because it was what I could get, and I felt lucky to be able to get any vaccine at all!

I would have gotten an mRNA if it was available, because the variant performance of AZ is comparatively poo poo, particularly after one shot.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 8, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I see how it remains flat while the cases have been going up for a month, and that there is a only week delay.

This thread, in general, was 100% telling people not to get AZ, and gleefully telling people how it’s rollout in their country was paused and how it wasn’t as effective while actual virologists were screaming about how the trials were done at the peak and you needed to adjust to reflect that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blitter posted:

What? Who are these people? I got AZ in April because it was what I could get, and I felt lucky to be able to get any vaccine at all!

I would have gotten an mRNA if it was available, because the variant performance of AZ is comparatively poo poo, particularly after one shot.

It's me. They opened up AZ for my age group when I was about 3 weeks away from qualifying for Pfizer, so I waited.

I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the threads though. The messaging around AZ in Canada is a mess. Some provinces said it's safe, some stopped using it entirely. In BC they were saying it was safe for people 55+ due to risk of blood clots mainly affecting young women, but then one day the moved it down to like 35+. Meanwhile 3 other provinces had it 'paused' while determining if it was safe or not.

As a hermit who wore a silicone respirator whenever I left the house, the risk of waiting seems slightly more negligible than the risk of taking the 'bad' vaccine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Have you heard of something called a "lead indicator"?

That would be the cases, if you are talking about hospitalisations.

It is not surprising that deaths have remained flat as yhey are a lag indicator, because as the term suggests, they lag behind at the average of the infection/hospitalisation/death duration.

You should really read something about the state of the pandemic in the UK, you seem ill informed.

The weekly numbers are here

Cases being a 'lead indicator' is a bit disrupted by the existence of vaccines no? The big question here is are hospitalizations going up fast because the vaccine isn't working or is it almost all non-vaccinated people? The difference is everything.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’d like to know how sick people are. Because cases rising is no surprise. My council and local police are advertising that you should just take regular tests now which I’ve never seen before.

“Many people with COVID-19 have mild or even no symptoms, but can still spread the virus. With regular self testing we can slow the spread and help protect the most vulnerable in our families and communities. To order your home test kit visit ⬇

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests%94

Which is good of course. But it’s definitely going to make risk averse/contrary people worry even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

learnincurve posted:

2x what? 0?

learnincurve posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

learnincurve posted:

learnincurve posted:

I see how it remains flat while the cases have been going up for a month, and that there is a only week delay.

This thread, in general, was 100% telling people not to get AZ, and gleefully telling people how it’s rollout in their country was paused and how it wasn’t as effective while actual virologists were screaming about how the trials were done at the peak and you needed to adjust to reflect that.

Lol, nice meltdown.