Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

badjohny posted:

Also iOS 15 will run on all devices that iOS 14 does. Good news for the 6s

It’s a 7 year old phone this fall.

That is pretty drat amazing I have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I upgraded to a Xs from a 6s because I just couldn’t take how slow the 6s was anymore. Jesus loving Christ I can’t imagine still using that phone today unless they made massive optimizations to iOS. This isn’t a complaint just a good surprise that they are still supporting that phone.

Whoever asked about whether iCloud+ would come with the iCloud storage subscription this seems to indicate yes:

quote:

iCloud has always kept your important information — like photos, documents, and notes — safe, up to date, and accessible across all your devices. Now iCloud+ takes that experience a step further, with an all-new subscription that will replace today’s storage plans.9

9. iCloud+ plans: 50GB with one HomeKit Secure Video camera ($0.99/mo.), 200GB with up to five HomeKit Secure Video cameras ($2.99/mo.), and 2TB with an unlimited number of HomeKit Secure Video cameras ($9.99/mo.).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Holy poo poo they’re finally doing it

quote:

Custom email domain
Personalize your iCloud Mail address with a custom domain name, and invite family members to use the same domain with their iCloud Mail accounts.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

If only they would allow family plans the option to share a single photo library.

edit

drat...my original iMac 5k is not able to upgrade to Monterey.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 7, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Keychain I guess has authentication now. Might not need 1Password anymore.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Boris Galerkin posted:

I upgraded to a Xs from a 6s because I just couldn’t take how slow the 6s was anymore. Jesus loving Christ I can’t imagine still using that phone today unless they made massive optimizations to iOS. This isn’t a complaint just a good surprise that they are still supporting that phone.

Whoever asked about whether iCloud+ would come with the iCloud storage subscription this seems to indicate yes:

that's actually reasonable. Might jump on the $2.99 from my two single 99 cent plans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Martytoof posted:

Huh, this Maps stuff is pretty cool.

I didn't see anything about biking support. Apple Maps still doesn't let you navigate by bike basically anywhere, even in big cities like Philly where their other big Maps components are rolled out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Private Relay sounds more like baby Tor than a VPN

quote:

Apple says that no one, not even Apple, can access or view this data.

:nsamad:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So they just didn't do that Apple music keynote, huh? Did they put out literally any info on what music will be up today that supports it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been looking and can't find anything that supports it, but it's probably most likely that the server switch hasn't been turned on for me yet.

E: MacRumors comments says they're playing some on Apple Music 1. Gonna give that a shot.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 7, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vince MechMahon posted:

So they just didn't do that Apple music keynote, huh? Did they put out literally any info on what music will be up today that supports it?
Wasn't it supposed to be tomorrow? --edit: Nevermind, the post that said it was from yesterday :shobon:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is Craig kinda becoming the face of Apple? I love the dude so I’m fine with this but I feel like he’s been leading these presentations for a few years now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is Craig kinda becoming the face of Apple? I love the dude so I’m fine with this but I feel like he’s been leading these presentations for a few years now.

He's the senior VP of software engineering so he oversees literally everything that was in today's presentation. At other times they bring out the hardware dudes. Tim seems to be ok with just being the MC and letting other's doing the talking.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like that whole “App Library is always in the dock, but also all of your apps live on your home screen which has a dock, but isn’t a desktop” is such a goddamn mess. Like why have a loving Home Screen anymore then?

People have had an entire year to get used to how App Library works on the iPhone, so I don’t really think that’s a huge deal. You have whatever apps on your home screen you want, and then the rest are in the App Library.
The bonus is that you can finally add apps that weren’t in your dock to Split View/Slide Over without a keyboard, so it’s finally adding functionality that was blocked off behind an input method.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

sleepwalkers posted:

People have had an entire year to get used to how App Library works on the iPhone, so I don’t really think that’s a huge deal.

Well, at least we've had it for a year. It's something at best I wish I had any control at all over editing, mostly I just wish I had the ability to turn it off. It's superfluous on iPad anyway since you can swipe up to get back your homescreen and all your apps are there for split view.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The new Safari is cool but I really need to get used to everything being on the bottom. My muscle memory is all messed up.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Finally, the future is here

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems like China isn’t getting the Private Relay VPN thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SpicyPete posted:

Finally, the future is here

Oh weird I thought the album listing was supposed to say if it had Atmos support.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

quote:

Magnification loupe for text cursor and selection
Select exactly the text you want with an improved cursor that magnifies the text you’re looking at.
Thanks Apple for the hot new tech that you used to have then removed from the OS years ago for no reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks Apple for the hot new tech that you used to have then removed from the OS years ago for no reason.

it took them two years to figure out how to make it an oval instead of a circle

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Oh weird I thought the album listing was supposed to say if it had Atmos support.

It looks like there's a lot of free floating individual songs that have it instead of entire albums right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

It looks like there's a lot of free floating individual songs that have it instead of entire albums right now.

That makes sense. Put it on hit singles first before doing full albums for catalog stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

That makes sense. Put it on hit singles first before doing full albums for catalog stuff.

It kinda sucks cause other than trial and error there's no way to see WHAT songs have it. When Doves Cry does, but Purple Rain doesn't. Annoying.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Have you guys noticed a difference from Dolby Atmos? I listened to a few songs and was unimpressed. Then I found a song where I had the old version downloaded and listened to that first and noticed... Hardly a difference? I mean I guess it was better but I wouldn't have noticed it if I knew. Maybe that's fine though, if it's too noticeable it would probably be annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

Have you guys noticed a difference from Dolby Atmos? I listened to a few songs and was unimpressed. Then I found a song where I had the old version downloaded and listened to that first and noticed... Hardly a difference? I mean I guess it was better but I wouldn't have noticed it if I knew. Maybe that's fine though, if it's too noticeable it would probably be annoying.

If you listen to the Introducing Spacial Audio playlist, it goes through a couple songs in mono, then stereo, then Atmos, and there's definitely a difference, but the jump from mono to stereo is way bigger and more noticeable than stereo to Atmos imo.

So, yeah, I guess I agree with you?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just listened to Black Skinhead and Gotta Have It by Kanye West and you can tell a difference but it's subtle. It probably works better with the types of songs that have quick elements that can be pushed further out or to the sides.

Come Together from the Beatles is another good one to switch between spacial and regular to see if you can hear the difference.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vince MechMahon posted:

It kinda sucks cause other than trial and error there's no way to see WHAT songs have it. When Doves Cry does, but Purple Rain doesn't. Annoying.

Can you link the version of When Doves Cry that has spatial audio? I pulled up the track from the Purple Rain soundtrack but it didn't appear to have it. The album does have lossless audio, though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Listened to some songs from the spatial audio hits playlist. Some songs sound better than others. Maybe pop/alternative isn't that best example. I'll have to dig around for some other genres to test it out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm listening to the Atmos Playlist now and I agree the jump from mono to stereo in the demo was bigger but it still sounds good.

Related: the Spectrum TV app supports spatial audio too. The first time I used it with my iPad and AirPods I thought the pods were broken because it sounded like the audio was coming directly from the iPad. Pretty cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zero One posted:

Related: the Spectrum TV app supports spatial audio too. The first time I used it with my iPad and AirPods I thought the pods were broken because it sounded like the audio was coming directly from the iPad. Pretty cool.

I still have to pull an airpod out of my ear occasionally to check that the headphones actually paired with the phone and I'm not blasting audio out the phone speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Disappointing Pie posted:

I don’t think he’s being groomed to succeed Tim, if that’s the implication that you’re picking up, but I don’t think he’d be a bad choice for the role

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think he’s being groomed to succeed Tim, if that’s the implication that you’re picking up, but I don’t think he’d be a bad choice for the role

I think Tim, just personality wise, is happy not doing the majority of the speaking too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Duckman2008 posted:

I think Tim, just personality wise, is happy not doing the majority of the speaking too.

also Craig’s speaking time seems to have increased as Phil’s tenure and roles at Apple wound down

Apple keynotes back in the day used to largely be the Steve + Phil show

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

xzzy posted:

I still have to pull an airpod out of my ear occasionally to check that the headphones actually paired with the phone and I'm not blasting audio out the phone speakers.

Yeah I did that the first time too. There is a little delay if you turn your head fast so that works to check it too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you link the version of When Doves Cry that has spatial audio? I pulled up the track from the Purple Rain soundtrack but it didn't appear to have it. The album does have lossless audio, though.

It's in their spatial audio playlist:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/when-doves-cry-2015-paisley-park-remaster/1229320468?i=1229320475

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If you listen to the Introducing Spacial Audio playlist, it goes through a couple songs in mono, then stereo, then Atmos, and there's definitely a difference, but the jump from mono to stereo is way bigger and more noticeable than stereo to Atmos imo.

So, yeah, I guess I agree with you?

Probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been talking over 95% of the song. That said, the Atmos gets a big ol "yeah I guess it's a bit better" from me. It definitely doesn't sound REVOLUTIONARY AND WORLD CHANGING as they're touting. Whatever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can tell an immediate and pretty large difference in a quiet room on my airpod pros when concentrating on the music. I don't think I'd notice at all if I was like, on the bus. Does anyone have airpod max they've used it with?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There is a full Atmos version of What's Going On in the playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I can tell an immediate and pretty large difference in a quiet room on my airpod pros when concentrating on the music. I don't think I'd notice at all if I was like, on the bus. Does anyone have airpod max they've used it with?

I’m the biggest Apple fan boy but I legit think like one person in this thread bought those things lol.

The AirPod pros are pretty magic imo.

I’ve stopped carrying my Bose over the ears when I travel because the AirPods are nearly as good and 1/10 the size.