Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

fappenmeister posted:

I am the person that plays for 20 hours once a year, forgets everything, and stares at 7 level 20+ characters at the login screen.

stands up tall

No, I'M fappenmeister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

fappenmeister posted:

I am the person that plays for 20 hours once a year, forgets everything, and stares at 7 level 20+ characters at the login screen.

Me too. I am completely fine with the game having no competitive pvp or good endgame but how am I supposed to do any of my noobish bullshit if I can’t remember how to push any of the buttons

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

fappenmeister posted:

How did you get into my WOW account??

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My problem is I have many adult level 50 children and I love all of them. I want to play all of them at once.

God help me if they let us set chars as companions for other chars

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

fappenmeister posted:

I am the person that logs in every day to a somewhat high CP level character while I am doing something else for the dumb reward system just in case I might start playing again sometime then immediately logs out.

Having all the skills, talents, and buttons reset and having to figure all that out makes it increasingly unlikely unless my friend that convinced me to start playing gets back in to it again for more then just a couple of days.

I probably would have fun but I just sort of feel like meh :effort: like most online games I haven't played in a while where you are supposed to have a grasp on what you are doing but have forgotten and then feel behind.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Me too. I am completely fine with the game having no competitive pvp or good endgame but how am I supposed to do any of my noobish bullshit if I can’t remember how to push any of the buttons
Good news! Depending on how long you've been gone, there's a decent chance you don't have any buttons to push, thanks to recent skill and CP changes that were big enough that they just reset everything.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Having everything reset was a huge hurdle for me as well, coming back a couple months ago to finish the last storyline. The easiest fix is to just 100% follow an Alcast guide, then adjust it as you learn what does what.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wonder if they'll add more companions to the game with more DLCs. Make the system require Blackwood.

I want my NARYU companion.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is there no way to just grab one item from a stack from the guild bank?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lysandus posted:

Is there no way to just grab one item from a stack from the guild bank?
No, you take the stack, split while in your inventory, then put the stack back. You can split in your inventory without going out of the inventory window, but the stack has to be in your inventory.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How is the companion stuff?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

How is the companion stuff?

I'm enjoying it but god it takes a while to grind it up. It definitely makes my tank-dabbling-with-more-DPS-because-combat-gets-tedious less tedious, so I'm good with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda want to get the new expac just because of companions - I like that system a lot in TOR and trusts in FFXI/XIV..

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just realized they pushed the PS5 update back a week and now I’m bummed

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Could I get an invite to Chill Bros Lounge or whatever? I'm @RandomBlue and I'm a noob.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

omg chael crash posted:

Just realized they pushed the PS5 update back a week and now I’m bummed

I'm not surprised. The game has been broken in many ways that they still haven't fixed (stuff you sell doesn't disappear, traders are broken, etc). I am sure they are having to fix all of that in this update also now.

I have been pretty much only logging in mostly daily to do my crafting stuff but even that I sometimes don't even both with.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Are the companions just dress up combat Barbie buddies or do they each have personalities and interact with your story like the SWTOR ones?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ort posted:

Are the companions just dress up combat Barbie buddies or do they each have personalities and interact with your story like the SWTOR ones?

99% dress up combat Barbie buddies.

They do comment on things you do, but I haven't noticed any comments specific to any given content. They also have specific likes and dislikes when you do things (Mirri doesn't like it when you harvest insects for fishing bait. Fine, Mirri, get your own damned fish) but 99% of their utility is additional DPS and the occasional heal once you throw a Restoration staff on them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ort posted:

I don't know if they interact too much with the storylines (maybe Blackwood but definitely probably not the other ones), but they do have personalities, and will banter when you, say, enter a city, dig up an antiquity, collect some crafting mats, approach a dungeon.

Mirri, for example, gains rapport when you kill a goblin or a snake, take her to see a Daedric delve or public dungeon, take her to the Brass Fortress in the Clockwork City, dig up an artifact, make booze, read a book from the bookshelf, and (a lot) when you do a Fighter's Guild daily quest.

They also each have two quests that unlock when you get enough rapport with them. I just did Mirri's last night.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lum_ posted:

99% dress up combat Barbie buddies.

They do comment on things you do, but I haven't noticed any comments specific to any given content. They also have specific likes and dislikes when you do things (Mirri doesn't like it when you harvest insects for fishing bait. Fine, Mirri, get your own damned fish) but 99% of their utility is additional DPS and the occasional heal once you throw a Restoration staff on them.

So can you dress them up with armor, costumes, both?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

So can you dress them up with armor, costumes, both?

Both. You can get specific companion armor pieces and weapons to give them. You can also dress them up in the costumes you own. I think I have shoulders and a shield so far from just doing random content. You can customize the fighting styles they use, healer, tank or dps. You can give them specific skills. It's pretty cool really.

e: but yeah, it's basically just a combat buddy to help you kill stuff

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Wiltsghost posted:

Both. You can get specific companion armor pieces and weapons to give them. You can also dress them up in the costumes you own. I think I have shoulders and a shield so far from just doing random content. You can customize the fighting styles they use, healer, tank or dps. You can give them specific skills. It's pretty cool really.

e: but yeah, it's basically just a combat buddy to help you kill stuff

I’m cool with that!

Now all I’ll need is armor for my chicken and I’ll be golden.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The way companion gear works is, it's divided into separate gear named, Companion Destruction Staff, Companion Sword, Companion Jerkin, Companion Cuirass, etc., etc.. Armor is, obviously, divided into light, medium, heavy.

They don't have motifs, they don't have levels, they don't have enchantments, they don't have sets. All they have are two things: quality (white->green->blue->purple->gold) and traits (which are different traits from your own gears' traits). You can't craft them, you can't enchant them. You get them from bosses, I believe, or obviously buying them in guild stores (you can buy non-quality versions of all gear in any town from basic merchants).

That said your companions can be dressed up at the outfit station with whatever gear you have unlocked for yourself, and you can dress them in costumes. The only limitation is they can NEVER wear a helmet.

Companions have their own limited skill trees, but they only gain XP through one way: killin Nazis enemies. Works the same as you: they gain skill for what armor they're wearing and what weapons they're wielding, when the XP trickles in. They also have guild skill lines that level up when you do a daily for that guild- Fighters, Mages, Undaunted.

I definitely like the feature, but yeah it's not as in-depth as a Bioware style companion. They each have their own recruitment quest, and two "loyalty quests" to use an ME2 term that just give you a big rapport boost; I think (THINK) that while you have them active, they each give you a perk, and if you hit very high rapport with them they will make that perk apply even if they're not in your party. (For example I think Mirri makes you find better stuff in treasure chests).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So you can't outfit them from your own motifs? What a bummer.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SplitSoul posted:

So you can't outfit them from your own motifs? What a bummer.
Yeah, every motif you learn is in the styles. Anything you can use on yourself at an outfit station you can use for them. You just have to do it through the outfit station not through crafting.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, every motif you learn is in the styles. Anything you can use on yourself at an outfit station you can use for them. You just have to do it through the outfit station not through crafting.

Okay, guess I misread that as only costumes. That's pretty cool then.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Mirri and I have the same armor theme and mounts and are the coolest kids in school.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pug Rodeo posted:

Mirri and I have the same armor theme and mounts and are the coolest kids in school.

I did the same thing. Wizards gotta have apprentices yo.

E: Both companions are also knock-off versions of player classes, Mirri is a nightblade and her class skills are variations on that, Bastian is a dragonknight.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 9, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This Stibbons quest is goddamn loving stupid

e: out everything, realized my questhub addon wasn't updated so I couldn't find any other quests. I still maintain that quest sucks

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 10, 2021

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I somehow managed to sequence break it on my first go around and had to restart it.

It's not my favorite quest but eh.

On a side note, I really hate that public dungeons are part of the zone completion achievements. Yes you just need to do one boss but it's tedious to have to wait for a pack of players to come by.

On another note, I did literally everything in Blackwood I could even before really starting the first main quest.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Is the goonguild still running? Got my yearly urge to play bugging me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sky Shadowing posted:

On a side note, I really hate that public dungeons are part of the zone completion achievements. Yes you just need to do one boss but it's tedious to have to wait for a pack of players to come by.

Only at lower levels. After not too long you'll be able to solo them.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Sky Shadowing posted:

I havent done the public dungeons yet, could co-op one in a few hours if you're on?

Apropos alone and waiting for players, did they make smaller shards? Most people in all my guilds will be in Blackwood, but I rarely see other people out and about. It's very nice when you're questing, world bosses not so much.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, I got them done. I made my way to the Group Events and hung out there until some other players showed up to latch onto.

It's only the bosses I have trouble with, not the larger groups of enemies.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I really hope we get an open world difficulty setting of some kind soon. I love soloing PDs and the group delves on Craglorn, and now that we have companions there’s more room for a difficult over world experience since you can expect a lotta players to have a “friend” with them.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I would like that a lot. It seems like the consensus already was “you can do solo over world content on any build because it’s super easy”, then they added something to make it even easier.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've read that after cp 160 things become much easier to solo? Is that right? I think I'm like 155.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Wiltsghost posted:

I've read that after cp 160 things become much easier to solo? Is that right? I think I'm like 155.

Seems about right, but IMO the biggest thing to help is making an effort to get appropriate gear and weapons, if you haven't already. (and I don't mean trials gear)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah with level-apropriate purple set training gear I can solo public dungeons from level 5 or whatever with comfort basically.

The game becomes much easier once you have some decent gear and mats stashed away.

Even regular dungeons are soloable with good gear and build, though it does need a bit of skill to pull off.

Of course then you run into trials and vet dlc dungeons and copious player death ensues again.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Hell, I’m not even level 30 yet, bought enough skills to fill my bar up, and am hoarding the rest of my points until I decide what to do with them. I’ve yet to run into a single challenge while questing. I’m playing a sorcerer so between the pets and the new companion it’s been easy mode all the way.