Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The chance of additional frozen samples of khaara being out there in the frozen arctic is a virtual certainty. Curing the leviathan is less about definitively wiping out the bacteria, than it is for a sense of personal closure at completing what Sam tried to do. As far as ALAN is concerned, the key is really that he has data on Enzyme 42 and is able to synthesise a cure now. Anyway, you can prefer the story to be a different way and force you to cure the leviathan but I see that as a nitpick and not at all making the story 'complete poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, I assumed the bit where Al-an warns you to finish any business left on the planet before the ending would be the point where you can't continue until you finish things up with Sam. I guess that's just a soft warning that you're about to end the game rather than any sort of gate?

It really feels like they outright gave up on keeping the plot coherent.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I just want to explore well made underwater environments. It sits deep down with me, from the ancient Scuba Dive on ZX Spectrum, and Ecco: The Tides of Time. It's a mood.
A good story is cherry on top, and original Subnautica delivered it.
Which reminds me, maybe I should revisit Aquaria. Remember it fondly as a 2D underwater-game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tenebrais posted:

Huh, I assumed the bit where Al-an warns you to finish any business left on the planet before the ending would be the point where you can't continue until you finish things up with Sam. I guess that's just a soft warning that you're about to end the game rather than any sort of gate?

It really feels like they outright gave up on keeping the plot coherent.

I feel like that's the point where Robin should have said "I need to find out what happened to Sam" or "I need to complete what Sam started" depending on where you were in the story, before she would let you go.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PerOlus posted:

I just want to explore well made underwater environments. It sits deep down with me, from the ancient Scuba Dive on ZX Spectrum, and Ecco: The Tides of Time. It's a mood.
A good story is cherry on top, and original Subnautica delivered it.

This is why I'm kind of hoping the devs sell the IP to some larger studio so there can be a proper Subnautica 2 on a larger scale, especially since they seem burned out on the series and are unlikely to make another one themselves. Subnautica and Below Zero are good games for a small studio but they both feel like they're slapped together with duct tape, be it all the glaring bugs still present in the first one or the incoherent story and small world map in BZ. I love the first game and thought BZ was a decent followup but I'd like to see what could be done with a proper AAA budget.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PerOlus posted:

Which reminds me, maybe I should revisit Aquaria. Remember it fondly as a 2D underwater-game.

Aquaria was all right but more of a short simple story with a little pretense of a game under it.

Not to piss on it, I just remember being a bit underwhelmed, as I was also looking for an ECCO-like experience.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did they explain why if Sam had the antidote why she didn't just inject the leviathan with it and instead suicide bombed the entrance or whatever to no effect other than killing herself and that other dude?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No they didn't, or at least nobody in this thread has figured it out yet. I assume the antidote was being squirreled away as a safety thing (as who cares if the dead leviathan is cured if there's still a kabillion samples running around the labs (which also questions why the protag cured the beast, maybe because it's supposed to be the last living sample around? (this also harkens back to the question of WHERE IS EVERYONE, why did they all evac?))). What Sam was trying to do is still up to speculation, my guess is she's taken Marguerite's suggestion of blowing it all sky-high after being goaded, but somehow hosed everything up... and only used a fraction of the explosives needed? It's unclear how she failed so bad. And where everyone went.

edit: changed a thing after I remembered that conversation.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 8, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It was probably-unstable high powered explosives kitchen-mixed by a loon with a probably jailbroken fabricator for the purposes of fishing, any number of stupid things could've happened starting from Sam tilting it a bit too far down to and including Parvon laying his hand on the wrong thing.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Even the PC version was janky like that. Tons of hitching and pop-in. It's just a rough game. I loved it despite those flaws.

For sure, I played it on what at the time was a top end PC, and it didn't perform well. I thought with Series X they'd figure a way to get 60fps at 1440p, but nope. Even the loading times are garbage, considering how powerful the XSX SSD is.

I mentioned DX because it seems no matter what the hardware is, that game runs like rear end, even a decade later.

Subnautica is just inherently bad code. I love it anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Serephina posted:

No they didn't, or at least nobody in this thread has figured it out yet. I assume the antidote was being squirreled away as a safety thing (as who cares if the dead leviathan is cured if there's still a kabillion samples running around the labs (which also questions why the protag cured the beast, maybe because it's supposed to be the last living sample around?

It is indeed, a log in omega lab says that all of the virus samples were destroyed by the terrorism and those are the only other known samples of the virus besides the leviathan

Your other questions still stand, there were a lot of unexplained things in this game

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
New player here, I like the game and its different from anything i've played before. When it comes to the little lifepods that come on your radio, is there a way to 'finish' them? Or do they just stay there until I uncheck the mark. For instance, on pod 3, it says 'crew reported their seaglider damaged', so I went over there and scanned some poo poo - but pod 3 stays on my waypoint thing. Does this mean I missed something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

henpod posted:

New player here, I like the game and its different from anything i've played before. When it comes to the little lifepods that come on your radio, is there a way to 'finish' them? Or do they just stay there until I uncheck the mark. For instance, on pod 3, it says 'crew reported their seaglider damaged', so I went over there and scanned some poo poo - but pod 3 stays on my waypoint thing. Does this mean I missed something?
Waypoints you are given as plot points work like crafted beacon and vehicle signals. They just mark a location, not completion. It has been a while since I played the base game, but you should be able to just toggle them off in your beacon tab in the PDA like they still do in below zero.

Also, the radio can have multiple messages banked up at times where sometimes the fastest way to get through them all is to listen to a full message, save, then reload, repeat.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 8, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

Did they explain why if Sam had the antidote why she didn't just inject the leviathan with it and instead suicide bombed the entrance or whatever to no effect other than killing herself and that other dude?

It's implied by the logs and way the injector robot was all set up and ready to go that she was trying to dose the leviathan when Parvan caught her, and in the ensuing tussle the pipebomb she was also carrying for... reasons went off. it's all incredibly poorly conveyed

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 8, 2021

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's implied by the logs and way the injector robot was all set up and ready to go that she was trying to dose the leviathan when Parvan caught her, and in the ensuing tussle the pipebomb she was also carrying for... reasons went off. it's all incredibly poorly conveyed

Even that doesn't make any sense because she didn't have the antidote on her (but brought a pipebomb?), since it was stashed nearby so even if she wasn't interrupted she had no way of dosing the leviathan without sneaking past Parvan another 2 times. I feel like it would be less poorly conveyed if the actions made more sense.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Original Subnautica update. I’m like 35 hours in and absolutely loving it still. I’ll share where I’m at in spoiler text with a couple requests for guidance.

After a long time spinning my wheels, I built a Cyclops and eventually found the entrance to the Lost River by the mushroom forest. I made my way deeper and deeper into the river and am now building up a base around the tree cove.

I’ve maxed out Prawn suit depth, and I’ve explored all the way through lava zones and explored several alien facilities, including the thermal one. I found a blue tablet in one of the facilities and used it in the thermal plant, I think, but to be honest I don’t remember what it unlocked.

I also just got ‘more’ infected with the alien virus.

Looking back on my alien facility note, I think I may have missed the disease research facility. Is that accessible from the lost river? Maybe I’ve already explored it without realizing and missed something important?

Also, I believe there’s at least one and maybe several portals in the thermal facility that require purple tablets, but I’ve used all of mine already. Where can I find more?

Also just noticed that the infection note indicates a time limit, sheesh. Is this a game over deadline? Any suggestions as to where I should lead to cure the infection, and is curing the infection the end of the game?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

minya posted:

Original Subnautica update. I’m like 35 hours in and absolutely loving it still. I’ll share where I’m at in spoiler text with a couple requests for guidance.

Looking back on my alien facility note, I think I may have missed the disease research facility. Is that accessible from the lost river? Maybe I’ve already explored it without realizing and missed something important?

Also, I believe there’s at least one and maybe several portals in the thermal facility that require purple tablets, but I’ve used all of mine already. Where can I find more?

Also just noticed that the infection note indicates a time limit, sheesh. Is this a game over deadline? Any suggestions as to where I should lead to cure the infection, and is curing the infection the end of the game?

Question 1: Yes, not too far from your base.

Question 2: You should have a crafting recipe for them, I believe. There's two facilities in the lava zone, the one where you get the blue tablet and its recipe, and then the other one, which needs one blue tablet to open it, and then one more to open a forcefield inside, so when you go back, bring two

Question 3a: The time limit is purely narrative, you will not die prematurely.
Question 3b: Head to the facility at the very bottom of the lava zone. This is one of three tasks you need to do to complete the game, but the other two are trivial once you've cured yourself. You won't get blindsided by end credits, ending the game is a deliberate decision on your part.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

minya posted:

There is no hard time limit, don't stress. The lost river has like half a dozen entrances and exits, you might want to explore them all. You can craft tablets, have you scanned them?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Thank you both. The time limit thing was my big worry. I’m really enjoying taking my time with this game. Cool, then I’ll just chill out and continue exploring and gathering and building my tree cove base. I’m sure I’ll figure it all out in due time.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Playing the first game in creative mode with my five year old and built a scanner room in the tree room looking for creature eggs for our aquarium (alas no, the one thing he wants more is an aquarium full of lava larva and I worry it will be impossible) only to discover there are metric poo poo tons of Nickle in that area along with nodes full of everything you’d ever need. drat. I got to excited to see the cool tree and lava zone and wasted so much time searching the upper river for nonsense.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

minya posted:

Thank you both. The time limit thing was my big worry. I’m really enjoying taking my time with this game. Cool, then I’ll just chill out and continue exploring and gathering and building my tree cove base. I’m sure I’ll figure it all out in due time.

You do want to cure yourself of the infection., if only to turn warpers neutral.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
About five hours in, fantastic game but i'm gonna dip out. I'm swimming around too much and not doing a whole lot. I know it's a cryptic game and you're supposed to discover stuff, but I don't have time for slow burners. However, it seems really really good!

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
So regarding the breadcrumbing in BZ,

What are you supposed to do for Sam's quest after you disable the tower and talk to Marguerite and get the fruits that send the wolf-lizards to sleep? I explored most of the aboveground area already, found the frozen leviathan and all, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do next for this quest. I still have some AL-AN stuff to do so I'm not stuck, but it's just weird to me that Marguerite didn't seem to give me another objective, unless I missed something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

What are you supposed to do for Sam's quest after you disable the tower and talk to Marguerite and get the fruits that send the wolf-lizards to sleep? I explored most of the aboveground area already, found the frozen leviathan and all, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do next for this quest. I still have some AL-AN stuff to do so I'm not stuck, but it's just weird to me that Marguerite didn't seem to give me another objective, unless I missed something.

Did you find Sam's map of the tundra in Phi? Look for the place she circled.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just realized Scanner Room range upgrades stack

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Did you find Sam's map of the tundra in Phi? Look for the place she circled.

Yeah I got that, I'll check it out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

Oh yeah, what was the point of those odd fruits? I know you said put the wolf lizard things to sleep but why would you need to do that? Any time I needed to get past them to nab something I used the little penguin robot. And by the time I got those fruits I was done with that whole area.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Oh yeah, what was the point of those odd fruits? I know you said put the wolf lizard things to sleep but why would you need to do that? Any time I needed to get past them to nab something I used the little penguin robot. And by the time I got those fruits I was done with that whole area.

:ohdear:

The Prawn drill arm was very efficient for putting the snow creatures to sleep

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WebDO posted:

:ohdear:

The Prawn drill arm was very efficient for putting the snow creatures to sleep

They had a family....

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I tried to do a run where I limited the character to only eating mushrooms or other non creature foods and also not using bladder fish for water until I slammed the sea truck into a bunch of fish on the way back from a trip and said gently caress it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

I tried to do a run where I limited the character to only eating mushrooms or other non creature foods and also not using bladder fish for water until I slammed the sea truck into a bunch of fish on the way back from a trip and said gently caress it.

If you had your headlights on then those fish have no excuse. They ought to know that glow + moving fast = doom from the cornucopia of bioluminescent leviathans around.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Now I'm sitting here on my throne fashioned out of sea monkey skulls...

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

They had a family....

had

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is why I'm kind of hoping the devs sell the IP to some larger studio so there can be a proper Subnautica 2 on a larger scale, especially since they seem burned out on the series and are unlikely to make another one themselves. Subnautica and Below Zero are good games for a small studio but they both feel like they're slapped together with duct tape, be it all the glaring bugs still present in the first one or the incoherent story and small world map in BZ. I love the first game and thought BZ was a decent followup but I'd like to see what could be done with a proper AAA budget.

Subnautica the F2P game as a service where you pay real money to use the fabricator

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fangz posted:

Subnautica the F2P game as a service where you pay real money to use the fabricator

Base building but all the furniture comes in cash shop packs.

Nah if you want to get really cursed there's only one thing you can do: fragments are lootbox.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Below Zero looks amazing and I really like the new biomes.

The chelicerate thing does not seem as scary as reapers because it doesn't have the scream. The land areas don't seem that bad and the fat wolves do not do well against the prawn. I have trouble figuring out what do though because the answer is no longer to go deeper.

Where are you all making bases?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Beat below zero 2 nights ago. I rushed to the ending sort of. The land area I did last, so once I had done the thing for Sam, I was sprinting back to jump in my truck for Alan. Land sections were too wide. I ended up abandoning my hover bike and swimming through a shortcut cave to get back to the sea truck. I didn’t bother to go back for it. Of course I saved before the very end, in case I want to go back and do more bass building, some thing I did with the original as well and also find all the upgrades.

I never found the shock upgrade in this one and I searched most places, so the leviathans towards the end we’re just a pain in the rear end, but not as scary.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

LionArcher posted:

Beat below zero 2 nights ago. I rushed to the ending sort of. The land area I did last, so once I had done the thing for Sam, I was sprinting back to jump in my truck for Alan. Land sections were too wide. I ended up abandoning my hover bike and swimming through a shortcut cave to get back to the sea truck. I didn’t bother to go back for it. Of course I saved before the very end, in case I want to go back and do more bass building, some thing I did with the original as well and also find all the upgrades.

I never found the shock upgrade in this one and I searched most places, so the leviathans towards the end we’re just a pain in the rear end, but not as scary.

Its sitting on the table in Margs place, soon as you walk in on the left.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Where are you all making bases?

I had my main base just below the dock at Delta outpost, among the vents there. Great access to almost all minerals. I also built a small base outside Phi, mostly to have a checkpoint for exploring the tundras around there but later to set up the snowfox. I like that building a hatch on an above-ground base also includes stairs now, it's a nice touch and makes the bases feel less like they can only exist underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lilly pads, hanging off the cliff over Marg’s checkpoint. Resource availability is fair, but the view through the clear roof of my main room is ace.