Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

Umbreon posted:

Are there any other modbacks similar to Breakout? I love how tight and focused it felt, gradually building you up and making everything feel like it had a purpose rather than just shotgun blasting you with 5 million mods at once and assuming you know everything.

I just tried modern Skyblock 3, but I bounced off of it pretty quickly when I saw it loaded up with a massive pile of mods that had little to do with each other and just seemed to be there for the sake of taking up time to get past them (especially lots of magic themed mods)

Haven't played Breakout, but Heavens of Sorcery is really good at making you go through the mods one-by-one (maybe two at a time, at most), but I'm not sure how much you enjoy magic mods. Maybe watch Mischief of Mice start it to see if it's up your speed.

My protip: you can actually play a lot of it on Peaceful if you don't like the combat mechanics. MoM fights everything, but I was kind of over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

You are a nerd posted:

Is there a (pre-spaceflight) route to chrome in GTNH better than grinding/sifting/centrifuging redstone and rubies? I'm going through entire ore patches and slogging through hours of processing just to get enough for a few stacks of stainless steel. Seems beyond the pale even for gregtech.

No, but you're exaggerating. So long as you're processing your ruby (and redstone I guess) ore properly one or two ore veins will be enough to take you to the moon. If you want, you can automate it by farming glowstone and processing that to get passive generation of gold and redstone.
The optimal way to process ruby ore is to put it through an HV macerator, then put it through again, and finally centrifuge. That gives you more chrome than washing then sifting, though you probably want to do a little sifting to get some high quality rubies.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

You are a nerd posted:

Is there a (pre-spaceflight) route to chrome in GTNH better than grinding/sifting/centrifuging redstone and rubies? I'm going through entire ore patches and slogging through hours of processing just to get enough for a few stacks of stainless steel. Seems beyond the pale even for gregtech.

You shouldn't really need THAT much chrome to get spaceworthy. What are you trying to build that's taking up so much? A Distillation Tower, maybe? You don't need that or the GT++ chem plant to make rocket fuel; cetane-boosted diesel is the T1 rocket fuel and that's plenty doable with single block distillers.

Just sic your MV+ autominer on a redstone vein in the overworld, and it should get you plenty. You can increase your yield by a lot by using an HV macerator (gives a good chance of getting a chrome byproduct just from macerating the ore) and sifting purified ruby ore, especially if you have the large sifter from GT++. Also, beware "fool's ruby." It primarily comes from Twilight Forest. You can tell by holding shift over a crushed or or dust if it has the "rubyFools" oredict tag or whatever.

Don't forget to use the mixer to craft stainless steel dust, too -- hand mixing gives you 8, mixer gives you 9.

Once you get to the Moon, you can mine chromite from there.

e: fools ruby:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2021

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Also, go to the nether for your red stone/ruby veins, at least if you have a prospector scanner. Nether and end ores give twice what overworld ores give.

Personally I built two distillation towers (one max size) and a full workshop of HV tier machines out of a couple veins of red stone. At 1 chrome to 9 SS the conversion ratio is fine, imo. I didn’t even centrifuge ruby until i needed the mercury to make epoxy since I decided to do that in HV so I could make a pointlessly (for the time) huge clean room.

Also if you are trying to build distillation towers, remember they can share walls. That can save a lot of materials.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Be aware that wallsharing is planned to be removed in the future.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Be aware that wallsharing is planned to be removed in the future.

It's very likely that they will grandfather in old wallsharing designs. The current wallsharing nerf idea is to make "2x" walls, so you can get the aesthetic/space/hatch sharing benefits of wallsharing but with none of the casing cost savings.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

After 7 years of AE2 being a thing, I only now learned that you can name P2P connectors. Right click the output side with a quartz knife.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You shouldn't really need THAT much chrome to get spaceworthy. What are you trying to build that's taking up so much? A Distillation Tower, maybe? You don't need that or the GT++ chem plant to make rocket fuel; cetane-boosted diesel is the T1 rocket fuel and that's plenty doable with single block distillers.

Thanks for the advice, I had missed that mixer recipe.

And yeah, I'm trying for the distillery, but not for rocket fuel. Space is a long way off yet, as I apparently have to work through another entire circuitry mission tree before I open up the space tab. But the distillation tower mission in the multiblock tab is now unlocked, and that has been my target machine for a while. I'd like to start producing and automating more fuel products before I start building more specialized/parallelized setups.

To this point I've been scraping by with the bare minimum machines for each tier, and I thought I could somehow short circuit the mid-HV tier fuel logistics if I could jump straight to the tower and then go back and start automating single-purpose machines once I was no longer stuck feeding a bunch of generators by hand. I do have a ton of silver just sitting around, I guess I could be doing more with solar boilers and steam power if I can find a better water supply, which I think I just saw a mission for somewhere...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You are a nerd posted:

Thanks for the advice, I had missed that mixer recipe.

And yeah, I'm trying for the distillery, but not for rocket fuel. Space is a long way off yet, as I apparently have to work through another entire circuitry mission tree before I open up the space tab. But the distillation tower mission in the multiblock tab is now unlocked, and that has been my target machine for a while. I'd like to start producing and automating more fuel products before I start building more specialized/parallelized setups.

To this point I've been scraping by with the bare minimum machines for each tier, and I thought I could somehow short circuit the mid-HV tier fuel logistics if I could jump straight to the tower and then go back and start automating single-purpose machines once I was no longer stuck feeding a bunch of generators by hand. I do have a ton of silver just sitting around, I guess I could be doing more with solar boilers and steam power if I can find a better water supply, which I think I just saw a mission for somewhere...

Solar boilers are terrible, don't bother. I personally used benzene power (tree farm -> pyrolyse oven -> wood tar (both from oven output and from fluid extracting charcoal) -> distill into benzene for MV/HV, but oil power is also extremely good. Honestly, don't worry too much about the fact that single block distilleries waste a ton of output -- oil is extremely plentiful. If you want to get serious about it, make an multiblock oil driller. It works sort of like the immersive engineering excavators: it pumps oil from chunk-based reservoirs. You do have to prospect for the oil using the seismic prospector, though (or use the high tech hand-held prospectors if you cheated one in.)

But, if you're bound and determined to make an oil DT, here's my setup:

This uses 296 stainless steel for the casings, which is 33 chrome (or just over 3 stacks of ruby dust.) That seems doable to me at HV, especially if you have an HV macerator to get lots of chrome from byproducts, but it's been so long since I was at HV that I can't really trust my own instinct any more. That Large Chemical Reactor, by the way, is handling all four desulfuring recipes at once. The hydrogen is being produced downstairs. You can shift click with a screwdriver on an output hatch to put it into fluid lock mode, then right click it with a cell of fluid to lock it to that fluid. Very useful. You do need fluorine to make its required teflon components, though, so if you want to do that, get some lepidorite.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969327

Modded Craft of Exile server with 5000% more dragons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Solar boilers are not terrible. Each HP solar boiler is about 3 eu/t, which is quite nice for passive generation if you scale it up, but the main problem with them is that steam is a low density eu storage fluid compared to literally any other fuel, which means you have to make a bunch of solid batteries instead of just using your fuel as a liquid battery. You can generally just use Railcraft water tanks to feed them. They work great in LV and MV, but I wouldn't recommend trying to use them very far into HV.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dunno if it's been brought up before, i assume it has at some point, but i have a few friends who have been talking up vintage story and i'm probably going to pick it up soon

https://www.vintagestory.at/

it's pretty direct about being them recreating their own minecraft mod stuff in a much more stable environment that doesn't poo poo itself every time something changes, and was apparently made with modding in mind and definitely has a pretty solid modding community already up and running since it's set up to not just break literally everything any time it updates. will be interesting to see how it shapes up, but from what i've heard from others playing it it definitely seems like it's solid already.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, it's not bad so far but really anemic in certain areas beyond just basic survival and crafting (for example, combat), and development is definitely on the slow side.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i suppose the benefit of being more easily moddable, there, is people being able to patch up parts of it that they think might be currently lacking. honestly if minecraft wasn't such an unstable piece of poo poo i'd probably not even consider getting this all that much.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm quite enjoying Sky Bees now that I'm over the initial sieving hump. gently caress the Nether, though. Has to build out like 500 blocks to gently caress with a fortress that's lousy with skeletons that gang-murder you five at a time. Just got into steel and Immersive Engineering.

I also really like Powah as an energy mod. I miss my Ender IO conduits, but Cyclic cables and Powah's setup are pretty nice.

My only major complaint is the Resource Bees Centrifuge refuses to stay attached to a Cyclic cable. Every time it starts a new comb, it breaks all connections. That and you can't just bucket poo poo into the Cyclic solidification chamber and I can't figure out how to extract from Mekanism fluid tanks.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 8, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

dunno if it's been brought up before, i assume it has at some point, but i have a few friends who have been talking up vintage story and i'm probably going to pick it up soon

https://www.vintagestory.at/

it's pretty direct about being them recreating their own minecraft mod stuff in a much more stable environment that doesn't poo poo itself every time something changes, and was apparently made with modding in mind and definitely has a pretty solid modding community already up and running since it's set up to not just break literally everything any time it updates. will be interesting to see how it shapes up, but from what i've heard from others playing it it definitely seems like it's solid already.

Wow, they recreated Minecraft's visual style so carefully it's almost like it's actually an attempt at selling minecraft itself repackaged with built-in total conversion mods. The player model is a lot better though, heh.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

McFrugal posted:

Wow, they recreated Minecraft's visual style so carefully it's almost like it's actually an attempt at selling minecraft itself repackaged with built-in total conversion mods. The player model is a lot better though, heh.

This made me go check on Hytale seems like there still hasn't been any real news in ages.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vintage story is very on-the-nose overall with the aesthetic but something about it just looks...nicer at a base? to me, at least. it's like a fairly coherent, detailed modpack that's built from the ground up to be that way and actually capitalizes on it instead of it being a mishmash of mods that practically fight each other and threaten to melt your computer. if the aesthetic ain't broke then you might as well go for fancied-up blocks, i guess.

like the funniest thing is that i can immediately tell it's not minecraft due to the fact that it actually boots up in a reasonable timeframe and doesn't chug like crazy. seriously the #1, most immediate perk to it that sets it apart. i'm only bringing it up in this thread purely because of how much it's aiming to chip away at the minecraft mod scene specifically. it's baking in more of the fiddly crafting and tech tree stuff inherently and is a bit more strenuous as a whole to get a foothold than vanilla minecraft without a doubt.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Vintage Story's performance really speaks to its credit. Minecraft doesn't run very well to begin with, but with mods it can get absolutely dire.

socialsecurity posted:

This made me go check on Hytale seems like there still hasn't been any real news in ages.
I feel your pain. They said at one point they "want everyone to be able to play" sometime in 2021, which I take to mean an open early access release, but with COVID complications and a lack of news I'm not sure that's a reasonable window anymore.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is there any mod post 1.12.x actuallyadditions that replaces its farmer block? Just about the only thing I miss for my favourite mystical agriculture setup. Or is there a better way?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Is there any mod post 1.12.x actuallyadditions that replaces its farmer block? Just about the only thing I miss for my favourite mystical agriculture setup. Or is there a better way?

Cyclic and Industrial Foregoing have similar blocks for plant gathering in a large area. Immersive Engineering's Cloche or Thermal's Phytogenic Insolator can grow a single plant internally.

Various magic mods have their own way of gathering crops, but those are slightly more complicated than plop down machine collect plants.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does the cloche still potentially take up roughly 6,000x the amount of server processing as any other block when it gets backlogged, or did they fix that?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't know if it was fixed, but you can apparently avoid it happening by making sure the cloche is outputting into something that voids excess items (storage drawer with void upgrade, for example)

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Does anyone have any recommended resources for creating data packs? In particular, something that does a decent job of explaining how far they can go before modding is needed.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Not a guide, but http://vanillatweaks.net is a great resource for assembling a bunch of data packs in one place and making it easy to download and install them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been blowing my non-interview-prep time trying to diagnose our GT:NH large heat exchanger and finally experiencing the accumulated trauma of the glitchiness of the whole pack.

I came on after a few days of hiatus to find the thing had blown up so I went into cheat mode and tried to rebuild it, only to have it blow up a few more times along the way. I didn't really know what I was doing at that point, and after that, I had much more success keeping it from blowing up. However, it kept eating through distilled water in what I thought would ultimately be a closed system. I figured it needed some to get started and then it would stabilize. It didn't. It would just eat through that water and in the split second it hit zero, it would trigger the "now you're adding water when there's none but there's heat so kaboom!"

Eventually I figured out that steam output was peaking at the large heat exchanger. When it peaked, excess steam was lost, and that excess steam was my lost distilled water. We were feeding in lava at something like 540L/sec and that turned out to be far too high. It needed to be something like 320-340 L/sec. The problem is I have to pick between those two. It looks like I got too low and I'll starve the turbines and they'll reset. This is still being checked fully. If I go for 340, I'll lose distilled water from steam venting.

So it's like I need to put a PID on the valve controlling the lava input or something. I don't think I could set up something to use that kind of precision, so instead I have to think about something like a tank of steam that just shuts off the lava input completely from time to time whenever it's full (rotate-on, rotate-off). It's extremely finicky for what it is.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've been blowing my non-interview-prep time trying to diagnose our GT:NH large heat exchanger and finally experiencing the accumulated trauma of the glitchiness of the whole pack.

I came on after a few days of hiatus to find the thing had blown up so I went into cheat mode and tried to rebuild it, only to have it blow up a few more times along the way. I didn't really know what I was doing at that point, and after that, I had much more success keeping it from blowing up. However, it kept eating through distilled water in what I thought would ultimately be a closed system. I figured it needed some to get started and then it would stabilize. It didn't. It would just eat through that water and in the split second it hit zero, it would trigger the "now you're adding water when there's none but there's heat so kaboom!"

Eventually I figured out that steam output was peaking at the large heat exchanger. When it peaked, excess steam was lost, and that excess steam was my lost distilled water. We were feeding in lava at something like 540L/sec and that turned out to be far too high. It needed to be something like 320-340 L/sec. The problem is I have to pick between those two. It looks like I got too low and I'll starve the turbines and they'll reset. This is still being checked fully. If I go for 340, I'll lose distilled water from steam venting.

So it's like I need to put a PID on the valve controlling the lava input or something. I don't think I could set up something to use that kind of precision, so instead I have to think about something like a tank of steam that just shuts off the lava input completely from time to time whenever it's full (rotate-on, rotate-off). It's extremely finicky for what it is.

If there's no way to process the steam faster (I don't know what you mean by turbines "resetting" or why it's a problem; I'm guessing it's some kind of multiblock turbine issue), then what you should do is just... limit the amount of steam loss but allow SOME loss, and compensate by inputting water. Infinite water shouldn't be a problem for you, just put a reservoir or an urn on it.

Won't the turbines eventually stop processing steam because your power storage fills up? Or the turbine blade breaks? If that happens then steam loss suddenly spikes and you lose your water and you get an explosion even if it's normally safe.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 14, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Put a low voltage tank in between your lava generation and the LHE, and use a fluid regulator to output from the tank to the LHE. The fluid regulator's GUI lets you precisely indicate how much fluid to move per tick or second. You also need these between your steam output and the turbines (i buffer in a super tank I for my fluid nuke setup.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Here's a little more detail on the LHE setup I use.

A visual aid:

The light blue pipe in the background there is a distilled water pipe. It feeds the input hatch that occupies that center block. On that input hatch is a Fluid Detection cover, which I have set to inverted mode. The cover outputs to the block to the right, and I've used a soldering iron to change the redstone output mode to Strong so it punches through to that block. On top of that output block is a dense redcrystal (an integrated comparator/potentiometer pair that can sit on walls/ceilings, very convenient) set to 8. This means that if the water level in the hatch ever falls below 50%, the dense redcrystal will output a redstone signal. It then passes the signal through an amplified redcrystal (a diode/repeater), then down the side of the LHE into a machine controller cover set to redstone high -> shut off machine. The controller also has a Needs Maintenance cover outputting to the bottom (soldering iron trick again), whose lead can also shut off the LHE if it has a maintenance problem.

The red pipe is incoming heated coolant from the fluid nuke above. It outputs into that red tank. The red tank then feeds the LHE using a fluid regulator.

(if you're not on the dev version the UI may look a little different, but the functionality is the same)

Since my fluid nuke outputs 1352 HU/s, I have it set to output exactly that amount. Using the figures for LHEs on the GTNH wiki, I know that 1 mB of hot coolant will convert to 200 mB of superheated steam, or 270,400 mB total per operation. I need two EV and one IV output hatch to handle that throughput. Then, using the Large Turbine Calculator, I know that the optimal flow rate for my Large Shadow(metal) Turbines is 96,000 mB. This feeds two turbines and change.

I use additional fluid regulators on the steam buffer tank to output precisely that amount.

I have to use pretty beefy pipes to handle that throughput; those are naquadah fluid pipes.

Use of lava will probably require different calculations. The conversion rate to superheated steam is different. However, the safety features should be the same.

Check:
* The flow rate of the pipes you're using to pump superheated steam into your pink turbines. Remember that the transfer rate of a pipe is half that of its rating, since it tries to slosh fluid back and forth. Consider fluid p2p.
* The steam output hatches on your LHE. If they're too small, you'll void steam.
* The input rate on your LHE vs. what your turbines need.
* Obviously, if you're outputting superheated steam, you need a silver turbine to go alongside your pink turbines.
* The optimal steam amount for your turbine blades. Use that turbine calculator; it is great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Put a low voltage tank in between your lava generation and the LHE, and use a fluid regulator to output from the tank to the LHE. The fluid regulator's GUI lets you precisely indicate how much fluid to move per tick or second. You also need these between your steam output and the turbines (i buffer in a super tank I for my fluid nuke setup.)

I need something like 330L/second from the regulators and that's between the tick increments so I'm either going to be starving the turbines at 320L/second or losing water at 340L/second. This is something I figured out through observation; I think the original calculation is I needed something like 540L/second. Can the amount of power draw have downstream effects on steam consumption? I'm wondering if something happens if I'm not consuming all this power.

So I was thinking of putting a tank on the steam side and taking a signal from it to the lava input to choke it at a threshold. I would keep a regulator so I don't produce faster than the steam pipes can take it, but I'd still plug it up so the whole thing doesn't get blocked up on steam. I don't think I take any kind of efficiency hit or anything on the heat exchanger from feathering the lava input.

Hmm actually it looks from Gwyneth Palpate's screen that there's a different GUI for those regulators? Maybe our pack has to update or something. I either can set it by ticks or by seconds, and they are tied to each other; if you change the tick field, the second field updates and vice versa. It looks like the one in the picture basically is numerator/denominator tied specifically to ticks so you can create an exact fraction.

Something I found interesting from the pictures was the unconventional placement of the controller--and I think just about anything else. They make it sound like those blocks have to go in very specific spaces, but apparently not (?)

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 14, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need something like 330L/second from the regulators and that's between the tick increments so I'm either going to be starving the turbines at 320L/second or losing water at 340L/second. This is something I figured out through observation; I think the original calculation is I needed something like 540L/second. Can the amount of power draw have downstream effects on steam consumption? I'm wondering if something happens if I'm not consuming all this power.

So I was thinking of putting a tank on the steam side and taking a signal from it to the lava input to choke it at a threshold. I would keep a regulator so I don't produce faster than the steam pipes can take it, but I'd still plug it up so the whole thing doesn't get blocked up on steam. I don't think I take any kind of efficiency hit or anything on the heat exchanger from feathering the lava input.

Hmm actually it looks from Gwyneth Palpate's screen that there's a different GUI for those regulators? Maybe our pack has to update or something. I either can set it by ticks or by seconds, and they are tied to each other. It looks like the one in the picture basically is numerator/denominator.

Something I found interesting was the unconventional placement of the controller--and I think just about anything else. They make it sound like those blocks have to go in very specific spaces, but apparently not?

Err on the side of starving the turbines. I have to starve one of my pairs, since they take 96kmB/s and I don't quite generate enough for that third pair. You can also potentially use a crappier metal for the turbine if you want, but that's annoying to figure out. The power draw from the turbines doesn't affect how they convert steam; the only way you can screw up a turbine is by using a turbine blade that's too powerful for its output dynamo to handle; that causes an explosion.

You definitely do take an efficiency hit from feathering the LHE based on steam output amount. LHEs have an efficiency, and they convert hot input liquid inefficiently as their efficiency rises to 100%. The amount of output cool liquid (cold coolant and pahoehoe lava) is less than what you put in. I am not sure how this affects distilled water.

I'm currently running version v2.1.0.7a (which has a serious transformer bug unless you also manually update the GT version.) It's an alpha release, though aside from that bug it's been fairly stable for me. Among other things, it improves the fluid regulator UI, and it also converts a lot of the multiblocks (like the LHE) to the "TecTech" framework, which allows you to rotate and horizontally mirror them. I abuse this quite a bit, though most of the time it has no practical benefits.

E.g.:

https://i.imgur.com/vhJySXi.mp4

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You definitely do take an efficiency hit from feathering the LHE based on steam output amount. LHEs have an efficiency, and they convert hot input liquid inefficiently as their efficiency rises to 100%. The amount of output cool liquid (cold coolant and pahoehoe lava) is less than what you put in. I am not sure how this affects distilled water.
That's annoying. I guess now I have to either:

1. Have two lava lines at different rates that I can feather between. One boosts it and one cuts it but still has enough lava to be the equivalent of a pilot light. I can reduce my steam output without ever technically completely starving the lava input.
2. Have some kind of duty cycle so the LHE does reach its peak efficiency when it's on. Feathering could put it in a state where it never gets there and I might simply not produce the steam I need despite having the potential to ram a bunch through.

#1 is probably easier with EnderIO fluid conduits since I can use the same signal for both but with different toggle modes (redstone on for one and redstone off for the other).

I'm assuming when the LHE isn't at peak efficiency that distilled water doesn't disappear, but it's also probably buggy.

Also, I'm assuming the "normal" thing people do based on the Discord is produce a huge, constant stream of distilled water.

quote:

I'm currently running version v2.1.0.7a (which has a serious transformer bug unless you also manually update the GT version.) It's an alpha release, though aside from that bug it's been fairly stable for me. Among other things, it improves the fluid regulator UI, and it also converts a lot of the multiblocks (like the LHE) to the "TecTech" framework, which allows you to rotate and horizontally mirror them. I abuse this quite a bit, though most of the time it has no practical benefits.
I'm guessing then what I see there isn't an LHE multiblock with arbitrary controller placement but rather one placed horizontally.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's annoying. I guess now I have to either:

1. Have two lava lines at different rates that I can feather between. One boosts it and one cuts it but still has enough lava to be the equivalent of a pilot light. I can reduce my steam output without ever technically completely starving the lava input.
2. Have some kind of duty cycle so the LHE does reach its peak efficiency when it's on. Feathering could put it in a state where it never gets there and I might simply not produce the steam I need despite having the potential to ram a bunch through.

#1 is probably easier with EnderIO fluid conduits since I can use the same signal for both but with different toggle modes (redstone on for one and redstone off for the other).

I'm assuming when the LHE isn't at peak efficiency that distilled water doesn't disappear, but it's also probably buggy.

Also, I'm assuming the "normal" thing people do based on the Discord is produce a huge, constant stream of distilled water.

The way my setup works is just having more turbine consumption power than steam production power. That's it. The loop of distilled water is completely closed at 100% efficiency of turbines and LHE if you do it properly. You need to have big enough pipes to push the steam in and out of stuff, and enough buffer to handle it. Like, I needed naquadah fluid pipes and IV fluid regulators to handle the throughput. Ender IO conduits have TERRIBLE throughput for steam. GT pipes have their throughput listed on their tooltip -- type fluid pipe and mouse over stuff to get an idea. Remember to get pipes that are rated for twice the throughput you need.

... you do have output hatches on the non-high-pressure turbines feeding water back into your distilled water storage, right?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm guessing then what I see there isn't an LHE multiblock with arbitrary controller placement but rather one placed horizontally.

Correct. The multiblock rules are identical, but it's just rotated about an axis (and sometimes horizontally mirrored, for things like oil crackers.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The way my setup works is just having more turbine consumption power than steam production power. That's it. The loop of distilled water is completely closed at 100% efficiency of turbines and LHE if you do it properly. You need to have big enough pipes to push the steam in and out of stuff, and enough buffer to handle it. Like, I needed naquadah fluid pipes and IV fluid regulators to handle the throughput. Ender IO conduits have TERRIBLE throughput for steam. GT pipes have their throughput listed on their tooltip -- type fluid pipe and mouse over stuff to get an idea. Remember to get pipes that are rated for twice the throughput you need.
Re: EnderIO fluid conduits: I was talking about using them on the lava side, not the steam side. My idea was to have the steam output go through a tank with a plate emitting a signal on how full it is. If it has used over, say, 50% capacity, I would change the state of a signal such that the lava coming in underneath diverts to a path that has a lower flow rate. Once it goes back below 50%, that signal would flip and trigger a different path running at high rate.

I would have originally wanted to just turn it off but it sounds like that would hamper the LHE's efficiency.

Do you know what is going on when the turbines are starting up? It looks like once they starve out that they outright stop and you have to go through a whole ritual all over again to get them back up to "100% efficiency." I'm not even sure what that means. I'm talking about what it shows when you look at the outside of the turbine at the rotor with NEI.

My assumption was if I starve out a turbine, I end up knocking it on its rear end for a minute. So if I'm a little under what it needs to keep running, it'll just spend all of its time just spinning up over and over.

quote:

... you do have output hatches on the non-high-pressure turbines feeding water back into your distilled water storage, right?

I do have some pipes returning the water back to the LHE from the turbines, but that's fair to check.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Re: EnderIO fluid conduits: I was talking about using them on the lava side, not the steam side. My idea was to have the steam output go through a tank with a plate emitting a signal on how full it is. If it has used over, say, 50% capacity, I would change the state of a signal such that the lava coming in underneath diverts to a path that has a lower flow rate. Once it goes back below 50%, that signal would flip and trigger a different path running at high rate.

Don't bother. Just put a low voltage tank right before the LHE and use like an MV fluid regulator to regulate the flow. You don't want to logjam all your lava production in at once. Use that large turbine calculator and the formulas on the large heat exchanger wiki page to get the exact amount of steam you produce and consume.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I would have originally wanted to just turn it off but it sounds like that would hamper the LHE's efficiency.

Do you know what is going on when the turbines are starting up? It looks like once they starve out that they outright stop and you have to go through a whole ritual all over again to get them back up to "100% efficiency." I'm not even sure what that means. I'm talking about what it shows when you look at the outside of the turbine at the rotor with NEI.

My assumption was if I starve out a turbine, I end up knocking it on its rear end for a minute. So if I'm a little under what it needs to keep running, it'll just spend all of its time just spinning up over and over.

I haven't actually looked too hard at the operation of my starved turbine pair. I'll have to see what's going on when I'm playing next. The main thing to look for is backed up output hatches on the LHE and turbines. They should be regularly zeroing out during operation. If they aren't doing so, and stay full, then you are losing water.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
e:nm

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't bother. Just put a low voltage tank right before the LHE and use like an MV fluid regulator to regulate the flow. You don't want to logjam all your lava production in at once. Use that large turbine calculator and the formulas on the large heat exchanger wiki page to get the exact amount of steam you produce and consume.
Hahaha we're going in a circle now. We originally did that and thought it would need something like 560L/second of lava. However, actually running it shows it needs something between 320L/sec and 340L/sec. Whatever version of the pack I'm using doesn't let me set it any finer in between those two rates, so I'm left trying to get clever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hahaha we're going in a circle now. We originally did that and thought it would need something like 560L/second of lava. However, actually running it shows it needs something between 320L/sec and 340L/sec. Whatever version of the pack I'm using doesn't let me set it any finer in between those two rates, so I'm left trying to get clever.

Like I said, just use the fluid regulator and starve a turbine pair. I starve mine and I'm water neutral. I have no stuttering of turbines.

You're losing water either from the steam getting voided at the output hatches of your superheated steam turbine or LHE, or distilled water is getting voided at the non-superheated steam turbine output hatch. I had to upgrade my distilled water return to staunch a distilled water loss when I first added my setup.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do I just disable explosions all together in GT:NH?

We had another large LHE remove itself from the world overnight. After rebuilding and testing, I think I saw what happened. I have a tank between its output and the turbine inputs. I was using that to throttle steam rates. Once rebuilt, it worked fine for a bit until it got locked at a certain amount. I don't know exactly what it was but it was less than 10% full. Everything was backed up and the LHE was purging all the steam it was producing. So I can imagine that would be how it ate 4,000,000mb of distilled water overnight and blew up.

There's not much I can really do with that kind of glitch outside of a permanent off if I ever run out of water and a lot of coddling. At this point, I think I did my due diligence and I just want the LHE to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH status: I've completed automation of the platinum group metals processing line (platline.)

That is this sucker right here.

The only manual inputs are potassium, sulfur, calcium, and platinum metallic powder. I also pull in carbon from my charcoal byproducts distillation tower. I could potentially automate the potassium and sulfur production, too, from centrifuging ashes.