Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Geestargames/status/1394977502037258244?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First thing that came to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkJSq_m2rqc

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume Lone Badger meant to say Cave Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBiY0CL-r8

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

For me,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xDxMaFfTQ

e;

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't know if I hate this or love this

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can now dress up as one of Dimitrescu's daughters

Weird, I don't remember the crotch and boob window in RE8....

E: The OG version with 25k downloads since being uploaded at the start of may

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gently caress that, I wanna do a vampire run through dressed as the Lady herself, including being tall enough i have to hit the sneak button to fit through doors.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah it looks like they took some... "creative liberties" with that outfit. By that I mean they were probably working on a boobs-out rogue assassin outfit and then just called it a Daughters of Dimitrescu outfit when RE8 came out.

The only connection that outfit has to the Daughters is that it comes with Dimitrescu wrought iron pasties and has a hood on it.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 29, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Skwirl posted:

gently caress that, I wanna do a vampire run through dressed as the Lady herself, including being tall enough i have to hit the sneak button to fit through doors.

Good news!

Then I'm sure you can just use a player scale console code to be 9 foot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy that she looks significantly more creepy in skyrim.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

I enjoy that she looks significantly more creepy in skyrim.

not as sexualized

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah it looks like they took some... "creative liberties" with that outfit. By that I mean they were probably working on a boobs-out rogue assassin outfit and then just called it a Daughters of Dimitrescu outfit when RE8 came out.

The only connection that outfit has to the Daughters is that it comes with Dimitrescu wrought iron pasties and has a hood on it.

It has a few more similarities than that: the necklace, the shoulder brooches, and an optional blood-spatter that only shows up in like one of the pictures (thankfully it's one of the few without tits out)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It has a few more similarities than that: the necklace, the shoulder brooches, and an optional blood-spatter that only shows up in like one of the pictures (thankfully it's one of the few without tits out)

Yeah, I think the one that doesn't have it's boobs out would be pretty cool if it had pants or a skirt.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think the one that doesn't have it's boobs out would be pretty cool if it had pants or a skirt.

Oh it comes with a skirt. Or at least, a piece of clothing labelled as skirt

Crotch window is mandatory.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Skrt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

not as sexualized

I'm not sure if I would describe the bolt-on rear end as less sexualised, just less actually sexy. I don't think it is a lack of trying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure if I would describe the bolt-on rear end as less sexualised, just less actually sexy. I don't think it is a lack of trying.

it was a joke

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the shoulder blades that can cut meat.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm the shoulder blades that can cut meat.

I think that's just a badly modeled coat

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Looks like our favorite boy is at it again.:allears:

Skyrim's UnofficialPatch at some point became incompatible with VR Skyrim. So the VR players took the last version of UP that still worked for them and uploaded that for the VR players to use. The permissions of the UP allowed this.
Arthmoor threw a hissyfit. Changed the permissions. Declared that that change was retroactive and got that VR-compatible version of the UP deleted of the Nexus.
The VR player shrugged, uploaded the file to Dropbox and just went about their business. Things were fine for more then 2 years. And now out of the blue Arthmoor got that dropbox upload deleted via DMCA.

It's weirdly comforting having that crazy little poo poo around. He's a never changing constant.

Orv
May 4, 2011
His 'studio' that was making that Skyrim-not-Skyrim-but-with-bears is hella dead now right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, tons of mods literally require his patch to even function. Imagine being a petty little nerd and you're given that kind of soft "power" to take your ball and go home, and nobody can really do anything about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Artmoor continues being a complete piece of work. Imagine putting this much effort in an over decade old game. I was gonna say "that you don't get paid for" but it IS the post patreon world, so of course he has one up.

A whopping 226 bucks a month.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Skwirl posted:

You can in Fallout 4. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/51310

Edit: I recently took a look at the last year of clothing mods for Fallout 4 because I basically didn't touch it for all of quarantine, and I was almost impressed by the surprising absence of horny. There absolutely was horny, just not near as much as I expected.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 1, 2021

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

You can in Fallout 4. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/51310

Edit: I recently took a look at the last year of clothing mods for Fallout 4 because I basically didn't touch it for all of quarantine, and I was almost impressed by the surprising absence of horny. There absolutely was horny, just not near as much as I expected.
Well if you want horny, just grab one of the author's other mods.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a mod in and of itself, it's a modder named Temnix. I just came across this on Gibberlings 3, a modding site for the Baldur's Gate/IWD games. He has some Opinions apparently on what makes someone a modder. And... other things, my eyes really slide off this many words.

quote:

I don't expect to get much traction with the tweaker crowd here, but those who can think should be able to appreciate that shortcuts, simplifications, macros and streamlining in games diminish the experience. Under the banner of relieving players of menial tasks, they take away the satisfaction of the process. All that legwork, all that memorization and note-taking, how tiresome. At the logical extreme the makers of these conveniences would eliminate the process and just flash a big "YOU WIN" before the player. Like dating app-makers or the idiots who enthuse about driverless cars (except that the car makers are clever: they are peddling new hardware and software, and the futurology is just a colored smoke screen, a little hemp aerosol). Of course, moments of gameplay that are clearly dull or awkward ask for euthanasia. But effort as such is the essence of interaction. There is no substituting challenge for effort, no cutting out travel times in favor of harder combat encounters, for example. Expending time is also important. Because we exist as bodies, we can't take seriously anything that doesn't take some hustling, which is the visible form of time. The achievement after the hustling only confirms that the time was well-spent, it is not the aim. Had the purpose been to gain the best effort-to-result ratio, we could all have done better with more modest and nearer goals.

When it comes to gameplay, many features that historically, as they say, had given players delight, have been streamlined away. I haven't done very much playing of "golden box" games and the like, but I remember how involving and exciting it was to draw maps of areas, room by room, wall by wall. The area became mine, because I discovered it quite literally, piece by piece, like a new continent. This exploration and the incidents that happened on the way and made it memorable have been eliminated by automapping. Another feature that looks antediluvian now but was quite, quite interesting was text journals. The bits "spoken" by NPC, discovered inscriptions and rumors were contained in manuals that came with the games, in jumbled paragraphs. It was impossible to read them from start to finish, but the player was called upon to open them at entry number such and such. This had three effects, at least: it made designers keep their texts short and exactly to the point, made the bits themselves memorable (many came with small hand-drawn vignettes, too) and combined two media, the videogame and the book. Books are physical, and this parallel existence substantiated the pretense of being in a different world. When the books and the other box "goodies," as those bonuses are fondly but generically called nowadays, were done away with, game worlds became sheer fantasies - no meat, just butter. At first their quality was maintained by strong talent, but the tendency towards irresponsible virtuality was planted with removal of these snags. Even some very immersive and detailed all-virtual worlds from the 90s, like that of Darklands, were already missing these hooks to an outside dimension. They were already self-contained the way nothing should be.

Obviously this was all a great cultural shift, uneven and not known to anybody in full. There are probably experts on the history of computer games, and they probably suffer from experts' myopia. Nobody really knows how many crossroads humanity has run by, on how many it happened in the night and stumbled past them without even noticing. I spot some stages along the way, little thresholds, and the destiny of the written word also curiously wavered back and forth. Planescape: Torment, for example, can be seen as a point in game development when it was felt that a universe could be raised from words alone, tons and reams of inspired words. Everything drawn and recorded in that game is supported and enveloped in writing. Before no one would have wanted to make a graphical game with so much language - interactive novels had been just that, novels; after the decline of literacy made this kind of game impossible, and when one was attempted, it came out clearly anachronistic, weak and pointless (e.g. Tides of Numenara). Would I bring back those primordial features - the absence of a map, printed manuals, if I could? Yes, I would. The conflict here is not between old and new but between the good and the best. A virtual reality delivered on a plate may be good, so good that one forgets what can be even better - a genre that makes claims upon real life, involves the body and the brain so that an imaginary world can become real - or remain... The dating of hand-mapping and text aids speaks neither in favor of these features nor against them. Modernity is indifferent in this, and probably in everything else.

Now, this being an obscure forum about modifying a very old RPG, oratory here is equivalent to lecturing down a tree hollow, so I'm wrapping up. The practical thrust of my address is to stop eliminating the features of the Infinity Engine games that make them believable and engaging. If you have ideas for how you can spare players doing this and that, put them in a sack and drown them. Come up with others, about how you can excite them and engage them. Quash your conveniences. If you want to eliminate travel between areas in favor of teleporting everywhere, stop. If you want to do away with shops so characters never have to move a foot to buy or sell equipment, cease and desist. If you want to erase spell schools and put all spells in one school, don't take the example of Microsoft, who has been eliminating Documents and Control Panel items and dumping every feature in one place. Less is not more. Easy is not sporty.

You may be erring on the opposite side, too. Instead of opening new interactions for players you may think it a good idea to burden them with features that have no continuation, no depth, no complication, no echo, no bounce and therefore no meaning for players. Mechanics like hunger and thirst, or age. I have thought about adding food and water and forcing players to eat and drink on a regular basis. So have others, no doubt. Make characters rest by a fire. There are inevitably mods like that for any role-playing game. Their creators think they are adding realism. But when the rest of the game world does not eat and drink, when there are no special encounters around these mechanics, when they are physically more cumbersome than in real life, adjusted for scale (all that clicking, and I can just stretch my arm, take a pear and bite it), they are simply pointless micromanagement. This is just what the well-meaning inventors of automapping and DIALOG.TLK and character auto scripts wanted to get rid of back in the day, no doubt, and ended up throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They simply could not tell which features needed pruning, which - cutting, which - watering, which - pollinating and which ought to be left well enough alone. So how can one tell? Well, no how. Just anyone can't tell. It takes perspicacity, as Baeloth would say. It takes talent and ideas. Experience, learning and reflection help, too, but they are not everything. Then again, how many even have those? So if the only notions for improvement you have is another damnable conversion of one category into another, some ease-of-use or new dead bricks for players to carry, why don't you have a moment of truth with yourself, admit that you are not a creator and take off the modder jacket? Go do something else. Stop beating up a dust cloud and obscuring the work of those who contribute something meaningful with your totally irrelevant hard work and your countless dutiful updates.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's a shame that "don't expect to get much traction with the tweaker crowd" is probably too long for a thread title.

Has the same energy as the old butthurt WildStar drama, at that.

E: "quash your conveniences" might work, though.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 8, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Midnight Voyager posted:

All that legwork, all that memorization and note-taking, how tiresome.

chad_yes.jpg

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lol this guy sucks

Been awhile since I came across 100% pure grognard like this. "I have invested nostalgia in an incredibly specific set of stupid lovely mechanics, and because I have a large vocabulary and no capacity for self-examination, I will now write 10,000 words of frantic, whiny rationalization for why my stupid lovely mechanics are Objectively Better than your stupid lovely mechanics"

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite part is him saying that his entire post is pointless because no one's gonna care and then him continuing on for two more full paragraphs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You should mod his essay to make it easier to read.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Very big "you cheated not only the game but yourself" tweet energy there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agents are GO! posted:

You should mod his essay to make it easier to read.

Mod it to make it play better to the tweaker crowd.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Midnight Voyager posted:

This isn't a mod in and of itself, it's a modder named Temnix. I just came across this on Gibberlings 3, a modding site for the Baldur's Gate/IWD games. He has some Opinions apparently on what makes someone a modder. And... other things, my eyes really slide off this many words.
I like that they're waxing poetic about the piracy protection in Gold Box games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

I like that they're waxing poetic about the piracy protection in Gold Box games.

I want to slap people who act like having to crack open a manual to read page X paragraph Y as a combo of copy protection/memory limitation is something we should wish for again along with hand written maps or gently caress off.

That kind of poo poo makes me feel older than I am already getting.

See also fun thought processes like "Fallout 4 is garbage compared to new vegas! Companions suck now!" "Yeah I just had NPC allies no-clip to their doom for the Nth time through catwalk railings, and within two minutes of getting Dogmeat he maimed himself by walking over a road cone wrong. Good thing they don't stay dead or it would be a real shitshow" "Them not dying is the problem, casual garbage! :argh: As are console commands existing even as a concept!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 8, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

quote:

:words:

You've devoted your life to modding a 20+ year old game that three dozen other people play. What a sad little man.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I want to slap people who act like having to crack open a manual to read page X paragraph Y as a combo of copy protection/memory limitation is something we should wish for again along with hand written maps or gently caress off.

That kind of poo poo makes me feel older than I am already getting.

I wonder what the overlap is between people who are nostalgic for this and people who complain about DRM.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn is an objectively better game than Command & Conquer Remastered because it asks players to insert the CD, establishing a vital hook to the outside dimension, while C&CR is wholly self-contained, an abomination of modernity.

Also, I just want to mention for laughs that he dunks on Darklands for "missing hooks to an outside dimension" despite the fact that Darklands (just like early Gold Box games) came with a printed book you have to reference if you want to know what the gently caress is going on; a printed reference card for copy-protection, and goes even further by not having any in-game quest log of any kind so you have to manually write down tavern rumours and poo poo like that if you want to do anything at all related to the actual main plot of the game. You won't even know there's a plot unless you read the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

lol this guy sucks

Been awhile since I came across 100% pure grognard like this. "I have invested nostalgia in an incredibly specific set of stupid lovely mechanics, and because I have a large vocabulary and no capacity for self-examination, I will now write 10,000 words of frantic, whiny rationalization for why my stupid lovely mechanics are Objectively Better than your stupid lovely mechanics"

Not me. Pillars of Eternity forum was teeming with them. I remember a guy just losing his loving mind about the moral fiber of Today's Kids because someone went "Hey, it would be nice if we could change our party composition in the main city in general instead of having to find an inn."