Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And another thing, why is "ohh baby" a sexy thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Data Graham posted:

And another thing, why is "ohh baby" a sexy thing to say

It sounded pretty sexy when Marvin Gaye sang it :shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Knormal posted:

My main memory of Doug Stanhope is from shortly after he got he Man Show gig and they had him "hosting" a Girls Gone Wild video, and in the ad he shouts at a group of girls to "Show us where babies feed!" Even as a horny teenager at the time it was really offputting, if I was watching a Girls Gone Wild video I really don't want to be also thinking about babies.

And someone liked that moment enough to put it in the girls gone wild commercials, the ones that ran practically nonstop on late-night basic cable. I never saw the actual video but I saw that commercial so, so many times, and it was just as :chloe: a moment as you remember.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of my college roommates got very drunk and bought some of the Girls Gone Wild tapes. The ones we watched were about 95% incredibly boring and 5% unspeakably creepy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

And someone liked that moment enough to put it in the girls gone wild commercials, the ones that ran practically nonstop on late-night basic cable. I never saw the actual video but I saw that commercial so, so many times, and it was just as :chloe: a moment as you remember.
I was surprised I couldn't find it on YouTube, sadly it's as burnt into my brain as the Sears Air Conditioner commercial and Crossfire.

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
EDIT: Wrong thread

bootsy has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jun 8, 2021

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm pretty sure it just originated from a thinkpiece about why home ownership is very low among millennials. The brainlord author chalked it up to frivolous spending and just mentioned avocado toast as an example of such spending. It stood out as particularly asinine because it was kind of an unusual thing to list. Unlike, say, lattes or whatever people aren't buying avocado toast daily.

Avocados cost about 2 dollars each, was this person some ancient fogey who thinks of avocados as some strange and expensive exotic fruit?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Guardian view on the god of science: a divine but rational disagreement

A rare example of highbrow idiocy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the guardian being loving idiots is very rare at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Supposedly smart people trying to explain why they believe in God using scientific language is always a huge sign that they aren't that smart.
You can't explain it, it's belief, if there's a scientific explanation then it's not God.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why cant religious people just say they believe in god because it makes them feel good/makes them happy, isnt that enough?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The footnote is pretty good though.

quote:

This article was amended on 7 June 2021. An earlier version said Hume founded classical economics.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/fearnl0athlng/status/1401916269369217027

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt a ton of restaurants start having avocado toast after that article so it was like a self fulling meme?

non crazy restaurants reasonable prices, "trendy" fad places had 30$ prices.

Also, Big Avocado saw a niche and a ton of money to be filled and made.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bismuth posted:

Why cant religious people just say they believe in god because it makes them feel good/makes them happy, isnt that enough?

Why stop there? Just ask them to say "i am a big fat dumb idiot and there is no reason to believe the things i believe, you atheists are sooo much cooler and smarter than me" directly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZtdmyKlI

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PhazonLink posted:

didnt a ton of restaurants start having avocado toast after that article so it was like a self fulling meme?

non crazy restaurants reasonable prices, "trendy" fad places had 30$ prices.

Also, Big Avocado saw a niche and a ton of money to be filled and made.

Anyone who sells Avocado Toast for $30 and anyone willing to pay $30 for Avocado Toast should both be shot in the head for the betterment of humanity. The same way you put down a rabid dog.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watch, it's all boomers with FOMO

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I read a quote today that made me think of this insipid post again

Ruskin posted:

"And be sure also, if the author is worth anything, that you will not get at his meaning all at once -- nay, that at his whole meaning you will not for a long time arrive in any wise. Not that he does not say what he means, and in strong words, too; but he cannot say it all and what is more strange, will not, but in a hidden way and in parable, in order that he may be sure you want it. I cannot see quite the reason of this, nor analyse that cruel reticence in the breasts of wise men which makes them hide their deeper thought. They do not give it to you by way of help, but of reward, and will make themselves sure that you deserve it before they allow you to reach it."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heath posted:

About 1/4 of the way through that my brain started reading it in the voice of Jordan Petersen

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

And be 🐝🐝 sure 👍 also, ➕👨😛 if the author is worth 💸🌐 anything, 😯 that 😈 you 👈🏼 will 🍡👏 not 🚫 get 🉐 at his 👀💯 meaning 👀👅 all 🥴🤪 at once 🕜 -- nay, that 🤬🤬🥴 at his 💦 whole 💦😍 meaning 👀😏 you 😍 will 🤲 not 🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️ for 2️⃣0️⃣ a long 🍆 time 🕒🕘 arrive 🎀 in 👻😈 any 🚧 wise. 👴 Not 🚫 that 😌💕🧚✨ he 👨📈 does 😻😳 not 🚯 say 🌙 what 😐😱 he 👨 means, 😈 and in 🤔 strong 💪🏋️‍♀️ words, 📓 too; 🍡 but 🍑 he 🥵 cannot 🤮🔫🙅‍♀️ say 😡 it all 😤 and what 😦 is more ➕➕➕➕ strange, will 📃🤤 not, 🚯 but 🙋 in ☝️ a hidden 👀 way 🍷 and in 🤔 parable, in 👻😈 order 📑 that 😐😐 he 👨 may 🐵 be 😫 sure 👍 you 🤟 want 🤬 it. I 🤬 cannot 😡😡 see 👀 quite ✅ the reason 🤔 of this, nor analyse that 🍆 cruel 😈 reticence in 🕺 the breasts 🍈 of wise 🦉 men 👦🏻👦🏼👦🏽 which 👏 makes 🤔💘 them 🗣️ hide 🙈 their 🎉 deeper thought. 💭 They 👥 do ✍️🙏 not 🚯 give 🎁🚨 it to you 👉🏽 by 😈😈 way 🐾 of help, ⬛💠🔷◾🔴🚩🇦🇿🇦🇬 but 🍑 of reward, and will 👏👏 make ✋ themselves 🥺💦💦 sure 🙅 that 😐😐 you 👈🏽 deserve 👌 it before 😂 they 🙉 allow 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦🎫🎫 you 😀 to reach 👉 it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Heath posted:

Masterful Literary Shitposter Sam Clemens posted:

The conversations in the Cooper books have a curious sound in our modern ears. To believe that such talk really ever came out of people's mouths would be to believe that there was a time when time was of no value to a person who thought he had something to say; when it was the custom to spread a two-minute remark out to ten; when a man's mouth was a rolling-mill, and busied itself all day long in turning four-foot pigs of thought into thirty-foot bars of conversational railroad iron by attenuation; when subjects were seldom faithfully stuck to, but the talk wandered all around and arrived nowhere; when conversations consisted mainly of irrelevancies, with here and there a relevancy, a relevancy with an embarrassed look, as not being able to explain how it got there.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mak0rz posted:

About 1/4 of the way through that my brain started reading it in the voice of Jordan Petersen

That's a shame

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like the sentences fell off a cliff and someone sort of pushed the mess at the bottom back into a heap.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Why stop there? Just ask them to say "i am a big fat dumb idiot and there is no reason to believe the things i believe, you atheists are sooo much cooler and smarter than me" directly.

Uhh ok. I was saying that because I think that believing something because it makes you happy is totally fine, and a valid reason to do so. I think its weird that people often try really hard to justify stuff through science when it doesnt work, and doesnt really require justification. If you say "i believe i'll be rewarded for my good deeds in the afterlife because it makes me happy and gives me purpose" then thats 100% fine by me, as long as the part they're grooving on isnt hurting others.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

PhazonLink posted:

I paid ten bucks for avocado toast at a sushi burrito stand in Toronto later that week, I must admit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never eaten avocado toast and I don't want to. Ham and eggs supremacy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why not just put a little avocado onto toast with ham and eggs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjsxmEiTUww&t=66s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think that opinion means you're immediately given three houses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/insaneppltweets/status/1402055857463037954?s=19

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alright pal we get it you're a homeowner. No need to boast about it :mad:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Knormal posted:

My main memory of Doug Stanhope is from shortly after he got he Man Show gig and they had him "hosting" a Girls Gone Wild video, and in the ad he shouts at a group of girls to "Show us where babies feed!" Even as a horny teenager at the time it was really offputting, if I was watching a Girls Gone Wild video I really don't want to be also thinking about babies.

That’s probably why he said it, the man has nothing but contempt for the “edgy white guy” demographic they were marketing him to at the time.

In all seriousness, everyone should watch his bit about helping his mother drink herself to death and committing credit card fraud, it’s genuinely heartwarming.

https://youtu.be/utjM5C4bvvM

E: I didn’t realize the album is called Beer Hall Putsch, that’s not a good look for anyone involved.

EE: ok good he’s vocally anti-Nazi, he’s just the same kind of edge lord this forum was in 2013. Thanks for bearing with me folks

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Jun 8, 2021

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
If you haven't tried fresh sliced avocado with a little soy sauce and wasabi (a little wasabi) then you haven't really lived.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The avocado toast thing was based on one idiot real estate millionaire extrapolating a whole trend from seeing one overpriced menu item at a fancy-ish restaurant. He was immediately and roundly dunked on all across Twitter.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/15/australian-millionaire-millennials-avocado-toast-house

Because we live in the dumbest, most spiteful timeline, boomers continued to run with it anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This was also happening when Australia had an avocado crunch and the fruits sold for eight dollarydoos apiece.

It was a dumb complaint in any case, but it’s especially silly when and where avocados are much cheaper.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr Christmas posted:

The avocado toast thing was based on one idiot real estate millionaire extrapolating a whole trend from seeing one overpriced menu item at a fancy-ish restaurant. He was immediately and roundly dunked on all across Twitter.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/15/australian-millionaire-millennials-avocado-toast-house

Because we live in the dumbest, most spiteful timeline, boomers continued to run with it anyway.

If you just stop eating avocado toast you too can become a selfmade millionaire like Tim Gurner

quote:

And it all began with a humble gym in the Melbourne suburb of Elwood, when Mr Gurner was just 19 years old.
“I saw an opportunity and took over the lease,” he told news.com.au.

“I didn’t even know what I was doing, to be totally honest, but it was a really good opportunity, a good spot.”

His grandfather gave him $34,000 to kickstart the project

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Who would've guessed https://twitter.com/TasteOfCountry/status/1402004279657906186?s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mak0rz posted:

Alright pal we get it you're a homeowner. No need to boast about it :mad:

Homeowner nothing, I just don't like avocado when it isn't guac or on a sushi roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Homeowner nothing, I just don't like avocado when it isn't guac or on a sushi roll.

There are other ways to have avacado?