Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Or a meek local mayor who is trying their best, or the robot king who has built an island of metal minions, or anything else, yes. Big mean t-rexes who are top of the food chain are a great Boss for a wild, untamed location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The hero destinys Unbroken can still be cancelled out into normal rolls by despair right? I had assumed as much but there are a few features in book 4 that explicitly lay out that clause so I'm unsure

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yep, Unbroken means you permanently have Hope, but Hope and Despair still cancel each other out as usual.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there anything different that changes with Guided Establishment when using The Horizon? It says to refer to the first book but doesn't say what to replace the Overlord specific questions with, at least I don't think it does I wouldn't put it past me to just be missing something. Reading is hard

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
There are no changes because I did not think too hard about it. Just skip the Overlord questions, it's fine.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
I'm looking to pull the trigger on Fellowship but would anyone be willing to share pictures or the physical books? Trying to if there is much a difference between soft and hardcover. Or if anyone has experience with drivethru's printing differences I would appreciate it!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I bought the softcover of 1st ed Fellowship, but went hardcover for all the 2nd ed books. I think it was a worthwhile upgrade- I just find them much nicer.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DTRPG's PoD books are generally pretty good quality for PoD. Their hardcovers of books over 200 pages are IMO usually a little sturdier because there's more stuff glued to other stuff, but it's all "perfect bound" (glued together pages), which is never as sturdy as case bound (sewn together pages).

TLDR: I'd suggest hardcover every time for any book over ~150 pages.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Photos of the HCs:

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
Thank you for posts and photos, going to pull the trigger on a Hardcover of book 1 soon!

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

While we are talking about the older books, Gnome do you have any plans to update them? I would love to buy a fancy hardcover copy that doesn't have your deadname on it!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've considered it but there's two main things holding that back.

1: If you change any files in a print book in DTRPG, it needs to go through proofing all over again, so that'd shut off print sales for an entire month while I square those away.

2: I already printed all the book 1, 2, and 3 hardcovers that I'm gonna sign and send out to folks, and if the kickstarter folks getting signed copies are getting the ones with my deadname on it anyway, then I might as well leave it be.

I don't exactly hate my old name or anything, I've still got a good relationship with my family, so I'll be fine even if its out there and having the whole Fellowship collection kinda outs me.

idk, maybe I should do it anyway? Probably no better time than right now while folks are waiting on book 4 to proof anyway.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

I've considered it but there's two main things holding that back.

1: If you change any files in a print book in DTRPG, it needs to go through proofing all over again, so that'd shut off print sales for an entire month while I square those away.

2: I already printed all the book 1, 2, and 3 hardcovers that I'm gonna sign and send out to folks, and if the kickstarter folks getting signed copies are getting the ones with my deadname on it anyway, then I might as well leave it be.

I don't exactly hate my old name or anything, I've still got a good relationship with my family, so I'll be fine even if its out there and having the whole Fellowship collection kinda outs me.

idk, maybe I should do it anyway? Probably no better time than right now while folks are waiting on book 4 to proof anyway.

I'd appreciate being able to have copies that don't have your deadname, though for me that ship has sailed because I bought paperbacks and the signed copies as well as Panic At The Dojo. :(

Point 2 is pretty compelling reason to leave it, but I'd probably at least buy new paperbacks and get rid of the old ones if you did change them.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Here's a question I couldn't easily find the answer to by skimming the pdf:

What do Hope and Despair do for NPCs, if anything?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

potatocubed posted:

Here's a question I couldn't easily find the answer to by skimming the pdf:

What do Hope and Despair do for NPCs, if anything?

NPCs with Hope will succeed at anything they attempt. NPCs with Despair cannot do anything at all, and fail at anything they do attempt.

Also, after everyone's feedback and a helpful PM, I think I will take the time today to change out the covers and PDFs of all my old books. So. My DTRPG page is going to be pretty empty for a little bit here, but my itchio sales this month have been phenomenal with the book 4 release so I'll just take that hit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gnome7 posted:

NPCs with Hope will succeed at anything they attempt. NPCs with Despair cannot do anything at all, and fail at anything they do attempt.

Also, after everyone's feedback and a helpful PM, I think I will take the time today to change out the covers and PDFs of all my old books. So. My DTRPG page is going to be pretty empty for a little bit here, but my itchio sales this month have been phenomenal with the book 4 release so I'll just take that hit.

Post when they're updated on itch and I'll get my players the new PDF

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

Nice, good luck Gnome! I'll be sure to grab the new PDFs when you update.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Just finished updating the PDFs on both itch.io and DTRPG, for Fellowship Books 1, 2, and 3, as well as Final Bid and Panic at the Dojo.

All of the above books are also no longer available for print, as I have restarted their print proofing process with new covers and changed credits pages in the interior.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Three out of four players have picked their playbooks for horizon

The lantern, the construct, the outsider

The player from the lantern also went above and beyond when I said "what's one island you've all been to on your journey so far" by giving me 8 islands all of which have far more potential plot hooks than I was looking for!

Here's what he's decided was his original home

quote:

Atroce's Maw - Once an active volcano, it hasn't erupted in centuries. The locals are almost completely normal humans, except they boast ornate, curled horns. The society is absolutely peaceful, a farming community that provides shelter and fresh fruit to any non-violent visitors. Those who think the people can be taken advantage of will quickly learn that the locals still remember the martial skills of their ancestors. They worship the demon who quieted the volcano in ancient times.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

Just finished updating the PDFs on both itch.io and DTRPG, for Fellowship Books 1, 2, and 3, as well as Final Bid and Panic at the Dojo.

All of the above books are also no longer available for print, as I have restarted their print proofing process with new covers and changed credits pages in the interior.

Cool, that gives me time to save up for new copies!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Our construct, spider and angel took on a doomsday prepper with a minigun and laser cannons. We’ve also been joined by a collector who is “an orc version of Steve Irwin.”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know if I played things right, but the players ended up enjoying the first session. There's some system learning going across the board but that'll get better as we play more

The Construct used his Fuel as a bomb at one point and I don't know if that's okay but I dug the idea and let him

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
You made the right call, because that's very cool

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

e: nevermind

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 23, 2021

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, have the Itch.io Book 4 links gone out to Kickstarter backers yet? I'm not seeing an e-mail about them.

EDIT: I also had a question about the Collector. I played one in a recent game, took the Dragon move Treasure Hoard and the Connoisseur Destiny, so with all those extra Gear selections I had access to all three Crown Jewels at once. Does that mean you can't use Workaholic to swap them/refresh their uses? That's what I was thinking, but that game reached its end before the question came up.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 5, 2021

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, have the Itch.io Book 4 links gone out to Kickstarter backers yet? I'm not seeing an e-mail about them.

EDIT: I also had a question about the Collector. I played one in a recent game, took the Dragon move Treasure Hoard and the Connoisseur Destiny, so with all those extra Gear selections I had access to all three Crown Jewels at once. Does that mean you can't use Workaholic to swap them/refresh their uses? That's what I was thinking, but that game reached its end before the question came up.

Yes, I sent out the itchio keys like a month ago, shortly after the last kickstarter update on the topic. Perhaps it was sent to your spam? Or something went wrong with itchio's automatic distribution. The process from the creator side is really opaque, but it does tell me over half of the keys haven't been claimed yet.

But now it's on DTRPG too so you can go get it there instead. I know for a fact kickstarter's messaging works, so Fellowship 2e kickstarter backers can grab that now.

And for everyone else who wants book 4 in print, it's the same price as all the other books even though its like 150 pages longer than all the others.

As for your question, yeah, if you have every option in a gear slot, you can't swap them around anymore. You already have all of them. This does shut off the refreshing uses capability of Workaholic's swapping, but like. You picked up all of them, you don't need it so much anymore.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

Yes, I sent out the itchio keys like a month ago, shortly after the last kickstarter update on the topic. Perhaps it was sent to your spam? Or something went wrong with itchio's automatic distribution. The process from the creator side is really opaque, but it does tell me over half of the keys haven't been claimed yet.

But now it's on DTRPG too so you can go get it there instead. I know for a fact kickstarter's messaging works, so Fellowship 2e kickstarter backers can grab that now.

And for everyone else who wants book 4 in print, it's the same price as all the other books even though its like 150 pages longer than all the others.

As for your question, yeah, if you have every option in a gear slot, you can't swap them around anymore. You already have all of them. This does shut off the refreshing uses capability of Workaholic's swapping, but like. You picked up all of them, you don't need it so much anymore.

Ok, thanks! I'm not seeing it at all, which is weird because the emails for all the other books came to my inbox just fine.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hmm. Well I've just re-sent the email with the itch.io keys, so hopefully you'll get that one. 419 emails sent out of 469 kickstarter backers, also, so if you're one of the 50 folks who never sent me your email you'd also not be getting this. But if you got the last one, then that shouldn't be the problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

When we started our game we kind of skipped past making a boat just because nobody has a feel for the system or their characters yet. Everyone collectively said Not It for who gets to be captain

I pivoted then, and we started mid adventure with them being part of a crew already. The plan as I see it is we got for a few adventures on some islands to get a feel for the characters and system and then go back to the country that paid for their trip and they get promoted to having their own boat to explore with, i'm going to miss the ant-man captain but alas

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
gnomefriend, how is it coming for the PoDs with former name removed? I've been putting off ordering them until then but I'm not sure if the DTRPG POD price hike is gonna futz with that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

gnomefriend, how is it coming for the PoDs with former name removed? I've been putting off ordering them until then but I'm not sure if the DTRPG POD price hike is gonna futz with that.

They're already available.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh, I forgot to post in here when that happened, huh.

Yeah all of my books are available in print once more, as you can see from the first image:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1401701159732133890

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4996/Liberi-Gothica-Games

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

Oh, I forgot to post in here when that happened, huh.

Yeah all of my books are available in print once more, as you can see from the first image:

https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1401701159732133890

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4996/Liberi-Gothica-Games

Welp, time to start rebuilding my collection!

Also, has anyone else seen the itch.io email for book 4? I still haven't and I have no idea why when the first three went through fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agent Rush posted:

Seriously.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Agent Rush posted:

Also, has anyone else seen the itch.io email for book 4? I still haven't and I have no idea why when the first three went through fine.

I got the link without issue, might want to check your email filters or reach out to itch.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, I got mine a day or two ago.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Aw hell yeah, just got mine ordered. If you're gonna do a drivethru PoD full color premium like these, now's the time - the price doubles July 1st.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
https://twitter.com/Veliministriari/status/1404054187177033729

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At the risk of sounding like That Guy, will there be a digital option for black-text-on-white? Sometimes I have trouble with white text on black bothering my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It does seem like it would be hard to print.